The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

What did Sammy/Canes Do to upset the Ref's

It may the the whole Canes team that has upset somebody.  Joni got absolutely hosed on a call and then got 2 more minutes for unsportsmanlike.  Chad drew a horrible goalie interference call too. 

Are the Refs close to a contract year or something. The guys on "VS Hockey Central" made a few comments about the Crapitals Game calls last nite.

There is a new head of officiating which is the only thing I can think of.

He sure isn't make a very good 1st impression. The 1st bad call againt Sammy cost us the 1st game! And i'm sure it wasn't the 1st bad call this year..

Anyone seeing a common thread here!!

Seems to be setting a tone as to who is in charge!

I think Refs were given the nod to read into the rule as they please when the situation allowed for mostly if not totally questionable deviation from the non typical favorable ruling. However if the afore mention ruling was proceeded by a cash donation prior to the puck drop a reverse discretionary ruling could be waived. With that said if both teams have been accessed equal flubbergastic calls the next bum call should be assessed to the home team wearing red. There fore it is of my humble opinion that palms have been greased and that our home and away jerseys have been deemed to have a sufficient amount of red to be accessed a disproportionate amount of oriafically questionable calls.

Oh and from what I have been told the call on Sammy was bogus.

Forslund had a good idea, keep teams of refs/linesmans togther all season. Right now they move around and work with diffrent guys every game. Maybe Johnny is on to something here because these guys act like theyre working against each other sometimes.

I think that is right... so tell me, if they are pretty much the same group of guys from that team... with the same character on the ice, how come they are getting SO MANY now?  Just doesn't add up.

Just from memory, the Larose penalty, Pitkanen penalty and Samsonov penalty were all very very very questionable (to put it mildly).  I'm worried about how much these refs are going to dictate the upcoming games.

Yep the games need to be won or lost on the ice,not at the hands of the ref's. Plus i don't like the fact that so many players try and embellish hits , or if a stick gets close to them they are all grabbing their faces like they got hit. When they do that they should get a diving penalty. We don't need hockey players turning into soccer players. If ref's need to be able to check a monitor then so be it. I would rather wait an extra minute than give a team a 4 minute PP.

All ref's have an ego the size of rink. The new head of officiating has one the size of ALL the rinks put together!

With that said, I heard, and this is totally hear/say, he wants the refs to be in complete control and not let the players/coaches talk down to them (in my words). So, when a player argues about a call, if they say anything that upsets the ref, it's an 'unsportsmanlike' call. This is totally lame, if you ask me!

And the stupid penalty Gleason got for standing up for Whitney in the Flyers game. OK, instigator I can see, but the 10 minute game misconduct? A totally bogus call. Besides, I thought a game misconduct resulted in being ejected from the game. Guess not!

Anyway, these officials and their boss need to be "accidently" checked from time-to-time to knock some sense into them.

My .02!

All ref's have an ego the size of rink. The new head of officiating has one the size of ALL the rinks put together!

With that said, I heard, and this is totally hear/say, he wants the refs to be in complete control and not let the players/coaches talk down to them (in my words). So, when a player argues about a call, if they say anything that upsets the ref, it's an 'unsportsmanlike' call. This is totally lame, if you ask me!

And the stupid penalty Gleason got for standing up for Whitney in the Flyers game. OK, instigator I can see, but the 10 minute game misconduct? A totally bogus call. Besides, I thought a game misconduct resulted in being ejected from the game. Guess not!

Anyway, these officials and their boss need to be "accidently" checked from time-to-time to knock some sense into them.

My .02!

I agree with your .02 along with maybe a couple pucks whistling by their heads!roll.gif

Bogus call, I agree. But the 10 minute (not game) misconduct goes along with the instigator automatically.

Consistency is something that every ref in the NHL knows nothing of. I watched 4 games tonight on Center Ice and all the commentators were complaining about bogus calls. Is Betman going to be on NHL radio this year? We should call in everytime he's on and complain if they would let us on!

Glad to hear that it is not just the fans that are seeing it. Went the commentary from the announcers and color folks, who we hope are a little non bias make note of it! Well then you hope there are ears out there that are listening and report back to the powers that be...

My .02!

It was not a bogus call. And it was not a 10 min game misconduct ... no such thing. The rule is when a player recieves an instagator penalty for fiighting they are automatically assessed a 2 min minor for instigating, 5 minutes for fighting and a 10 min misconduct. This has been the rule for a long time. Please know the rules before you knock the referees.