The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanesgirl

attention all awesome computer people:

i know you may be totally against this, but a macbook pro covers it all. it is so incredibly useful you will never go back once you switch...if you have any questions about details, feel free to ask :)

yeah i have one too and i LOVE it, i was very against Mac at first cause they didnt really have their acts together, but now its so easy and they have amazing features that are easy to use, i love it, look into them.

well i highly recommend it...a macbook would also do well, you don't necessarily need a pro. that would be a little cheaper, and works just as well for everything really.

how do the applications like word processing work? do i have to buy more software or does it come with them? and what other extra stuff do you end up buying? and what are its advantages over PC's or whatever the other computers are?

well you have to buy something for wordprocessing, i bought the office package for like 150 bucks, it includes word excel powerpoint and you can make anything you'll ever need on the computer. i like the macbook because for one its portable, being in school, it helps a lot. also macs = no virus and no spyware. you wont ever have to worry about getting any of that virus protection. i also upgraded my memory just to speed things up, roughly a gig from 500 megs or so. i could go on forever about all the little things that make it so much easier than a regular PC. I've been using a PC since I was 7 or so and now i cant imagine going back. i would go to apple.com and find a store close to you (there is one in southpoint mall, if you're near there) but find someone to tell you about them because they know everything about computers there. hope it helps and just keep asking questions!

My advice is to buy a laptop with really good specs,

right now.

512 MB of RAM would be sufficient,

but if the price isn't too different,

I'd recommend 1 GB of RAM,

since upgrading is difficult for a laptop.

As for Storage,

I do recommend something like 80 GB.

But if it like replacing your desktop,

I'd recommend maybe a bit more.

The one you're looking at has a pretty weak video card,

but if you're not doing anything that requires high graphics,

I'm sure it will do.

The one you're looking at is a pretty good laptop I'd say.

Just remember what I said about RAM.

Because right now,

I'm guessing your laptop would be slower than you're desktop.

But if you have 1GB of RAM,

it will improve that a bit.

Hope that helps.

Don't buy a Dell Latitude. Their hard drives are right under your palm and they overheat. Mine literally got close to 50 degrees Celsius after being on for a couple of hours.

That's not to mention how flimsy they are. Or how mine shipped with a motherboard that liked to kill hard drives.

My advice is to buy a laptop with really good specs,

right now.

512 MB of RAM would be sufficient,

but if the price isn't too different,

I'd recommend 1 GB of RAM,

since upgrading is difficult for a laptop.

As for Storage,

I do recommend something like 80 GB.

But if it like replacing your desktop,

I'd recommend maybe a bit more.

The one you're looking at has a pretty weak video card,

but if you're not doing anything that requires high graphics,

I'm sure it will do.

The one you're looking at is a pretty good laptop I'd say.

Just remember what I said about RAM.

Because right now,

I'm guessing your laptop would be slower than you're desktop.

But if you have 1GB of RAM,

it will improve that a bit.

Hope that helps.

Can you please stop typing like this. :evil:

Go with Mac.

Less problems.

My wife has had 2 mac laptops over the course of the past 5 years, and both of them died after about a year, right when the warranty ran out. The cost to repair them was more then what the laptops were worth after a year of use, and it was only used for web browsing, and music. If you have a problem with a non-mac laptop, there are about a billion places to take it to get fixed, or you probably know someone who can, if you mac blows up, good luck because you got to send it to apple more then likely to get it fixed, and that will cost you your left and right arm, and possibly a toe if its not under warranty (even then you pay shipping and handling).

That being said, macs are good, but just be ready to get a bunch of blank stares if you do run into problems with it.

I've got a Compaq. Ebay for $350 and it's my entire frickin' life. Other than being a little slower than most laptops/computers because I have so much music on it, it's a good little machine.

i need some help with buying a laptop :Oops:

i will be using it for internet surfing, microsoft office stuff for school, media like music (storage and playing. right now i have 5 GB of music), movies (just playing), and pictures from a digital camera (storage). I might occasionally take it to school with me, but not a regular thing. But its basically replacing my desktop.

here are my questions:

1) is there a brand that is best?

2) what processor is best and what kind do i need? there are all kinds of funky numbers and specs in there that i have no clue what they amount to.

3) what type of wireless card will i need and do i need a router as well?

4) what kind of battery do i need, as in, how much power, and will i need more than one?

and 5) is 512 MB of memory enough?

heres the one im looking at:

http://www.gateway.com/products/GConfig/pr...d=nx570x&seg=hm

My Dad is a project manager & has been dealing with computers & programming for longer than I've been alive (& I'll be 38 next month), so when I asked him what I should look for when I was looking to buy my laptop, this is the criteria that he listed:

In his opinion, the top three brands are IBM, Sony or HP (I went w/ the HP Pavillion).

Look for one that has at least an 80 gig hard drive

At least 1.8 - 2 g of memory

USB 2.0 connection

Make sure you get one w/ a good video & wireless card

The antivirus protection that he suggested was pc cillin from trend micro(it's kind of on the pricey side, but he says that it's the best, & since I bought & installed it, I have had NO PROBLEMS)

He also suggested Microsoft software & Windows XP w/ Internet Explorer, although I suppose that this is a personal choice for the individual user

As far as your battery, your laptop should already come w/ one, & if you want a backup, I think you should go to the manufactorer's site & customer service to see if you'll actually need one. Mine has both a battery & an AC power plug... keep your laptop on the AC cord every chance you get, as it also helps to recharge your battery.

As for a router: if you plan on this being your only computer (as opposed to having a desktop, which you stated will probably be the case), then yeah, you'll probably need one, LOL! It's really nice 'cause you can take your laptop all over the house... even into the bathroom, should you need to use that option!!

And I don't know about other laptops, but mine has a cd burner, dvd player (great quality, btw) & video game options.

Hope that helps you. Good luck.

Do not waste you money on something flashy or hip like a mac or sony. They're slower than a good compaq with an AMD 64 dual core processor and cost a lot more (illogical, isn't it). Get at least 1 GB of ram or you will be upset you didn't.

okay guys, can you help me out again?

i need help picking out a router. I do need one of those right? i want wireless internet in my house. so what speed or gig or whatever do i need?

By far the best notebooks out there are Thinkpads by Lenovo. Since Lenovo is a major sponser of the Hurricanes they had offered a deal to let fans purchase laptops with a pretty big discount (20% or so). There was a link on the main page of the Canes website but I cant find it anymore.

As for a router - i would go with a Linksys