The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

I don't get it!

Maybe because Maurice said he would be ready for our opening game and so far he's only played about half a game. He's obviously not progressed the way the team thought he would. When you're talking about the guy who led the league in min/game last year, that's a huge concern.

[quote name=hockeybaby]Forsland on 99.9 saying that Joni will be out for tomorrow night, and that it is worrying that we don't have him. Please tell me that our whole defense is not relying on one guy! Why is there an air of worry/ slight panic that he is still not ready to go?

He also said that Staal is fighting and injury too, most likely a groin issue.  Tomorrow will be a tough one without all hands on deck at 100%.

The worry is that we don't have one of our top defensemen 2 weeks into the season when we were told he would be there on opening night.  It isn't that the team can't win without him, but he is a big part of the defensive corps.

Forsland on 99.9 saying that Joni will be out for tomorrow night, and that it is worrying that we don't have him. Please tell me that our whole defense is not relying on one guy! Why is there an air of worry/ slight panic that he is still not ready to go?

I suppose one worry is the injury may be more serious than first thought. I don't think that is the case but until he skates a full game we won't know.

On the practical side Joni is a big part of our new "D" plan and helps generate offense, without him Corvo needs to log more ice time. I would rather have Corvo fresh in the third period.  I think Harrison will do fine filling in but he isn't Joni.

To me, the bigger, and not discussed, issue is why was Joni's surgery done so late in the year? It happens quite frequently through out the league. Is it as simple as trainers and docs initially want the athlete to see if rest alone will heal the injury, and if that doesn't work, then its surgery at the last minute? My conspiracy theory mentality wonders if players take the summer off to rest and have fun, then when it's close to training camp, then decide to have the surgery. After all, it's a work related injury so why not take comp time?

Or am I just a lunatic wacko with WAY too much time on her hands?

To me, the bigger, and not discussed, issue is why was Joni's surgery done so late in the year? It happens quite frequently through out the league. Is it as simple as trainers and docs initially want the athlete to see if rest alone will heal the injury, and if that doesn't work, then its surgery at the last minute? My conspiracy theory mentality wonders if players take the summer off to rest and have fun, then when it's close to training camp, then decide to have the surgery. After all, it's a work related injury so why not take comp time?

No but your probable Irish like me. If there isn't a good plot or conspiracy we will invent one to make life more interesting.

I have also wondered why Joni waited so long for surgery but I expect he was hoping rest and rehab would fix the problem.

Forsland on 99.9 saying that Joni will be out for tomorrow night, and that it is worrying that we don't have him. Please tell me that our whole defense is not relying on one guy! Why is there an air of worry/ slight panic that he is still not ready to go?

With the third highest scoring offense of the league coming to town, wouldn't you want your best defensive pairings on the ice? Not saying that the rest of the guys can't take care of business (if they got their heads in the game), just that our chances with Joni in the lineup should be a little better.

Another reason to be concerned is that the reason Ward was brought back into the fold was to play opposite Joni.  Ward's strengths and Joni's strengths should complement each other well.  Without Joni, we aren't getting as much out of Ward.

I think Joni hurt his knee late in the summer at home.  He gave it a short time to see how it would heal and then they decided to just go ahead and fix it.  This wasn't like when Kaberle or Stillman were injured in the playoffs and they waited all summer to see if things would heal, only to put then under the knife right before camp.

It does appear that things didn't heal up exactly as planned.

It will be tough against the defending cup champions. If we play a full 60 and stay out of the box we have an even chance.

Injuries are part of the game. We have had some tough breaks and no pun intended but I like our chances. The fourth line will have to make some big plays that we know they can.

It will be tough against the defending cup champions. If we play a full 60 and stay out of the box we have an even chance.

Injuries are part of the game. We have had some tough breaks and no pun intended but I like our chances. The fourth line will have to make some big plays that we know they can.

The good guys should play with a chip on their shoulders after getting the broom treatment in the ECF's.  Let's hope everybody plays their A game.

[quote name='canesx wrote:

ivyleager']To me, the bigger, and not discussed, issue is why was Joni's surgery done so late in the year? It happens quite frequently through out the league. Is it as simple as trainers and docs initially want the athlete to see if rest alone will heal the injury, and if that doesn't work, then its surgery at the last minute? My conspiracy theory mentality wonders if players take the summer off to rest and have fun, then when it's close to training camp, then decide to have the surgery. After all, it's a work related injury so why not take comp time?

I think Joni hurt his knee late in the summer at home.  He gave it a short time to see how it would heal and then they decided to just go ahead and fix it.  This wasn't like when Kaberle or Stillman were injured in the playoffs and they waited all summer to see if things would heal, only to put then under the knife right before camp.

It does appear that things didn't heal up exactly as planned.

I did not know this fact. Is it common knowledge?

For an admin/mod you are awfully new. Welcome.

A couple things.  This could simply be a "better safe than sorry" approach.  We're not even 10 games in, these games really don't mean a lot in the long run (every team in the league hits a hot/cold streak of about 5 games during the year), and it's better to have him healthy later in the year when the race becomes closer.

However, Joni's reputation from Edmonton precedes him.  One of the negatives that was constantly brought up about him is his (seemingly) unwillingness to tough it out.  If he was injured, he'll stay out two or three more games than needed.  In a double-edged sword kind of thing, his skills on the ice make the wait worth it, but those same skills are sorely missed in those extra 2-3 games.

Another thing is the schedule. If he misses tonight and NJ, he gets a total of 10 days off for only two missed games.

Pitkanen is a crucial part of this team's success. We are notabley better as a team with him in there. I'm not saying he is as good as Chara, but imagine the Bruins without Chara. The effect is smaller, but similar. Assuming the coaches know who their most effective players are and put them on the ice the most, Pitkanen has been the best defender on his last two teams.

It will be tougher tonight without him. But if he is nearly 100% a week from now, missing two more games will be worth it.

If he isn't ready in one week for the Islanders I might start to sweat a little.

Now if Staal isn't ready....yikes, missing our best forward and our best defenseman vs. the #1 power ranked, Stanley Cup champs will be a tall order.

"Now if Staal isn't ready....yikes, missing our best forward and our best defenseman vs. the #1 power ranked, Stanley Cup champs will be a tall order".

I don't necessarily disagree with the total post/feeling.

However- Staal is sometimes our best centerman.  He can do it anytime but is still not a consistent as I would like.   Yoni is not our best D.

We can handle Pittsburg anyway.  Have faith.

I admit, I'm nervous for tonight. With Pitkanen and Cole out, and Staal potentially not at 100%...

I know that in the grand scheme this one game probably doesn't mean much (though I'm aware that on some level - every point counts) but I really really really want to beat the **** out of those guys. A little redemption is due.

Joni needs to take it slow, play it safe and come back when he is 100%.  I would rather have him playing  at full speed for 70 - 75 games than be dealing with this nagging injury stuff all year. Early reports (TSN) had him missing the first 2-3 weeks of the season anyway, so i was counting on him being out a little bit longer.  I was shocked when he dressed for the Bolts game at home and it looks like it may have been a bit pre-mature.  While we do lose our best puck moving defenseman and get much slower (but bigger and meaner) with him out of the action; Alberts and Harrison are both serviceable 5th and 6th blueliners.  Hockey is a physical game and there will be injuries to deal with all season.  No excuses.  You got to take the lemons you are dealt and try to make a mean batch of lemonade. I am not sweating Joni at all. Now, Staal-er on the other hand...

Let's Go Canes!!!

I'd rather Joni take the "better safe than sorry" approach while the schedule is in his favor. We saw what toughing it out brought Brindy last season after he missed 23 games and then needed over half the season to catch up with the contitioning and trying to find some chemistry.

I agree with the better safe than sorry  theory, Harrison is playing pretty good so why rush Joni back.Let him get 100% so when he does come back he will be ready to go for the long haul. We have enough wingers that can  step in up and make up for Joni's offensive prowess.PLus the fact that Harrison is getting some great icetime that will do nothing but help us thru-out the rest of the season.

eric is becomin huge on Pk, and we know the pittsburgh powerplay, our  physical  defensemen we have now  have to have some discipline tonight, they will  be  overly hyped at start, these are 2  big games, at NJ,  I  think these are games for  the pysche, not that  we are fragile, just  need to play well

and grab points.. dinz

He wasn't hurt at the end of the season. So this wasn't one of those let's wait all summer and see if it gets better thing. He hurt it while working out in Finland. Came to town, saw the team doctors and they decided to go ahead and get the surgery. I can't remember if it was Branecky or Chip that reported this.

As for Joni being out as a concern, well it is. He's a minute eater, plays upwards of 25-30 minutes per night. Key cog on the PP and also plays on the PK. His pass to Jokinen in the Tampa game is why him being out is a concern. He can make those passes that no one else on the team can. He is our #1 defensemen and being without him is a concern. 

Better to have Joni out another game or 2 than have him hurt playing and end up out half the season or something....  Same with Staal if he needs time to heal up it's difficult but so be it....

Edit:  Wral is reporting Maurice as saying Staal is playing (not sure if this was already posted)

IT'S ALREADY TIME TO BRING SOME YOUTH UP JUST BITING THE BIT TO PLAY......PUT BOWMAN,BOYCHUK,& SUTTER ON A LINE TOGETHER FOR A FEW GAMES AND LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THERE IS NO SCORING SPARK RIGHT NOW. I SAY GO FOR IT ON THE ROAD !!!!!!

IT'S ALREADY TIME TO BRING SOME YOUTH UP JUST BITING THE BIT TO PLAY......PUT BOWMAN,BOYCHUK,& SUTTER ON A LINE TOGETHER FOR A FEW GAMES AND LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THERE IS NO SCORING SPARK RIGHT NOW. I SAY GO FOR IT ON THE ROAD !!!!!!

Way too early for that.  And- where would you put the guys displaced?  Who do you think would be sat down even if it was possible?

There are alot of other reasons but remember how many games we have played.