The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Realold

What's needed to get the Powerplay working

I'm a huge Ron Francis supporter, but I think JR & PM need to get someone else to coach the powerplay. Ronnie was in charge of this when PL was the coach, and now with PM.
How about for starters ...... Pitkanen gets healthy. 

I think the best way to get the PP going is to stay out of the penalty box ourselves.  Ha ha ha.  No more stupid penalties, please.  I love that the Canes are always near the bottom of the team PIM's.  I wish we could get back to that style of play a little more. But to stay on topic; I think Joni's return will help out seeing he is our best puck moving blueliner. I don't want to see a lot of Alberts, Harrison (although he's been ok so far) or even Gleason on the point (no offense, Timmy). Puck movement is always a key to a healthy power play and those 3 are more defensive mided guys. Also, I am always a fan of more shots from the point.  Do you hear me Joe Corvo?  Keep 'em low and on net and we'll be back in the swing of things in no time.  We have some forwards with great hands we can throw out front...why not use them? 

Let's Go Canes!!!

We don't "plant" anyone on a regular bases in front of the net.  If you look at other teams, especially against us there is always someone standing in front of Cam.  Most of our  PP shots are from far out front...that works sometimes but we need someone planted closer. just my .02 wink.gif

Our Powerplay was poor last year when we had Joni. I don't think it's the players, rather I think it's the system we've been using for over a year.Again I'm a huge Ronnie fan but our powerplay has cost us potentially 2 games already. A PM team will have a strong penalty kill system. Special teams win & lose games.

Babchuk had a nice shot from the point .....
Who's that?

You're right about Pitkanen.  He's missed tremendously at even strength and even more on the PP.  On Wednesday I noticed Whitney in front of the goal on one PP and I thought "Well, that's not going to work".  Get Pitkanen on point and move Ruutu to the havoc position in front of the goal.

I'm prolly being captain obvious's twin right now but we need to get more shotz off IMO  We spend way to much time passing the puck back and forth waiting for the ideal shot (nice when it works)  I like to see us try to force more shotz and hope for a bounce or rebound more often....

I'm prolly being captain obvious's twin right now but we need to get more shotz off IMO  We spend way to much time passing the puck back and forth waiting for the ideal shot (nice when it works)  I like to see us try to force more shotz and hope for a bounce or rebound more often....
Yeah, you'd think that is obvious, but it must only be obvious to us, since Mo and Company haven't addressed it yet.  Still to much time passing it around in front of the goalie and giving everyone time to catch up.  The guys are too static in the offensive zone.  No one is in front of the net when they need to be to capitalize on rebounds or get the pass or redirect from the point or the pass from behind the net.  We have too many people behind the net scraping for the puck too much of the time.  

Babs had a good shot on net but had a great shot about 3 feet wide right of the net. Joni sure isn't the answer he didn't do much last year.

So i will have to say that we DO need someone else to work on the coaching end of it. Bring in some new ideas because ours sure hasn't worked since 06. Sometime change is good, Ronnie has alor on his plate as it is.Our guys are too stationary(which makes it easy to defend) bad passing around the perimeter doesn't help which also takes away the 1 timer shot. For some reason we don't have anyone that will stand in front of the net on a regular basis, this would also help. I know alot of it looks like Hockey 101 but for some reason we don't have guys that want to take it (like Staal did 25 stitches in the ear) regularly. JMO

I'm a huge Ron Francis supporter, but I think JR & PM need to get someone else to coach the powerplay. Ronnie was in charge of this when PL was the coach, and now with PM.
+3!

The PP has been our achilles heel since the Cup run and show no signs of getting any better.   Time for new game plan.

In our last game against Pittsburgh...I thought our powerplay looked much, much better.  Patience.  Staal is under the weather...that isn't helping, and Pits is a big key.  The night is young, 4 games does not a hockey season make.

One big problem is we have no real offensive production or a real threat from the blueline.  In fact, we gave away some of that production to get more physical.  Sorry, but you can't coach that back in the game.  I can count on one hand how many one-timers I've seen so far on the PP.  Plus, we are small up front and can't sustain any presence in front of the net.  That equates to an 11% success rate on the PP, well below the league average.   

Starting the year, I thought having Cole out there was ill advised. He's more of a speed/rush power forward and not a skilled puck handler (nor one-timer type shooter).

Lately, it seems like too much perimeter play, and not enough net 1/2 board to down low movement. I'd prefer more in-front, side-to-side play than the perimeter where the opponent seems ready.

To be honest I think the whole reason for Carolina's sloppy(in all aspects of the game) is the fact that PK kinda cheaps out with the whole preseason. Carolina had four preseason games while the rest of the league had seven to ten games. Now I know the season is long but if you want to get a quick start out of the gate you are going to need all those preseason games to fine tune your team. I figure Carolina wont start coming together until game seven or eight. What do you guys think?

To be honest I think the whole reason for Carolina's sloppy(in all aspects of the game) is the fact that PK kinda cheaps out with the whole preseason. Carolina had four preseason games while the rest of the league had seven to ten games. Now I know the season is long but if you want to get a quick start out of the gate you are going to need all those preseason games to fine tune your team. I figure Carolina wont start coming together until game seven or eight. What do you guys think?
That is a valid point, that and the fact that we played mostly the prospects and the new guys in the preseason, never really testing our actual lines in battle prior to the season opener.  That may be an issue that is causing us to come out slow.

Stop the dump and chase on every PP rush, its wasting too much time because our chasing stinks.  The other team catches our dump and sends it out.  Bring the puck in the zone, and control it...force them into the box, and don't be bashful to fire from point (Corvo,Gleason, Ward, Wallin, Alberts, Pitkanen).  It seems like Roddy and Ray keep trying to work the puck inside, but we don't have the skilled players (at least healthy ones) capable of working inside right now.  Traffic inside...fire from the point.  Put 2 players in front of the goalie, and give their low box pairing a hard time.

Stop the dump and chase on every PP rush, its wasting too much time because our chasing stinks.  The other team catches our dump and sends it out.  Bring the puck in the zone, and control it...force them into the box, and don't be bashful to fire from point (Corvo,Gleason, Ward, Wallin, Alberts, Pitkanen).  It seems like Roddy and Ray keep trying to work the puck inside, but we don't have the skilled players (at least healthy ones) capable of working inside right now.  Traffic inside...fire from the point.  Put 2 players in front of the goalie, and give their low box pairing a hard time.
Thats all well and good but they can barely enter the zone cleanly.  The PP starts with winning the faceoff and keeping it in the zone to set up.  They're not winning enough faceoffs consistently and start over half of the PP's by chasing back to their own end.  When they attempt to re-enter the zone, there's just no one strong enough right now to over power the other team's pk'ers and charge right in leaving them two choices.  The dump and chase is not a bad option when you tons of speed but we don't have exceptional speed anymore.  The outlet pass up the boards is also a good option but requires pin point passing which they are also struggling with at times.

Winning faceoffs,  faster skating along with tape to tape passing will cure a lot of the PP ills.  I think its more of an execution issue rather than strategy issue. 

My two cents.

Thats all well and good but they can barely enter the zone cleanly.  The PP starts with winning the faceoff and keeping it in the zone to set up.  They're not winning enough faceoffs consistently and start over half of the PP's by chasing back to their own end.  When they attempt to re-enter the zone, there's just no one strong enough right now to over power the other team's pk'ers and charge right in leaving them two choices.  The dump and chase is not a bad option when you tons of speed but we don't have exceptional speed anymore.  The outlet pass up the boards is also a good option but requires pin point passing which they are also struggling with at times.

Winning faceoffs,  faster skating along with tape to tape passing will cure a lot of the PP ills.  I think its more of an execution issue rather than strategy issue. 

My two cents.

Stop the dump and chase on every PP rush

Last night that's the only way we were able to gain the zone. Even then we had trouble maintaining the zone. Skate it in or carry it in we spend more time trying to maintain puck position then actually keeping puck position.

topshelfavry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

winning faceoffs,  faster skating along with tape to tape passing willcure a lot of the PP ills.  I think its more of an execution issuerather than strategy issue.

You make good points but what makes you think this Canes team is capable of doing this with the players we have on the ice?

topshelfavry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

winning faceoffs,  faster skating along with tape to tape passing will cure a lot of the PP ills.  I think its more of an execution issue rather than strategy issue.

You make good points but what makes you think this Canes team is capable of doing this with the players we have on the ice?

I'm not sure of that at all but based on what I've seen them be able to do in the past, I'd like to see some of the obvious execution problems cleaned up before deciding the guys on the ice just aren't able to get it done. 

Maurice is convinced they're suffering from confidence issues on offense so if they can start executing better, maybe they wont question their ability as much.  From just my own observations,  the second the puck is dropped for a PP there's nothing going well enough to give them any confidence and as the clock ticks down, the pressure builds to do anything (almost desperately) which will rarely give a good result with special teams.   Quick methodical practiced plays where everyone on the ice is on the same page is what makes a PP successful.

Now, if we're still posting in this thread after the 5 on 5 offense picks up, then I'd have to agree its a personnel issue on and off the ice.

topshelfavry

winning faceoffs,  faster skating along with tape to tape passing will cure a lot of the PP ills.  I think its more of an execution issue rather than strategy issue.

I'm not sure of that at all but based on what I've seen them be able to do in the past, I'd like to see some of the obvious execution problems cleaned up before deciding the guys on the ice just aren't able to get it done. 

Maurice is convinced they're suffering from confidence issues on offense so if they can start executing better, maybe they wont question their ability as much.  From just my own observations,  the second the puck is dropped for a PP there's nothing going well enough to give them any confidence and as the clock ticks down, the pressure builds to do anything (almost desperately) which will rarely give a good result with special teams.   Quick methodical practiced plays where everyone on the ice is on the same page is what makes a PP successful.

Now, if we're still posting in this thread after the 5 on 5 offense picks up, then I'd have to agree its a personnel issue on and off the ice.

My two cents.

I agree there that faceoffs are a primary concern, if we weren't losing the faceoffs at the beginning of a pp, then this wouldn't be an issue.  It seems that once the Canes gain the zone and force the box, that we do pretty well with puck movement....but thats about it.  Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, give and go...that passes again instead of going.  Pitkanen was able to penetrate all night last night, if it takes positioning him as a winger to penetrate, having a winger hang back until we are in and established, and then pulling him back to point, then lets do it.  That being said, however, once we're in....we have to shoot or we don't score.  Passes, in and of themselves, don't win games.....shots do.  Send the puck on net, and every now and then we'll get a puck off our helmets for the BS goal like the devil's last night.