The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
colefan4life

the Stick Collector Thread

I have over 50 Sticks, My canes/rats would be. Tim Conboy Signed,Justin Peters Signed by the whole rats team, Unsigned Peters,Keith Aucoin ,Old Mormina Stick,Jamie Johnson.

Soon to add a McBain hopefully!

I have an Irbe that was handed to me after it was broken in practice. I was 8 and at my first canes game just sitting behind the bench watch them, he pointed to me and handed me the stick.

We've got several game used sticks, and also a team signed Sherwood stick from the 2006 Championship. Also some signed pucks.

Today we found a Oklahoma City Blazers commemorative stick in an antique store in Oklahoma City. The Blazers are no more unfortunately, but OKC is trying to get an AHL team.

Nice collection.  I'd love the opportunity to have more game used sticks.  All I have is a Kevyn Adams Louisville TPS from 2003-04 and a broken Goalie stick from the defunct Asheville Smoke (formerly coached by Keith Gretzky, go figure)

Maybe I can get some pics up later, but I've got (all game used) Cam Ward rookie signed, Gerber, Weight (first canes stick), Kaberle, (the following al signed) Staal, Francis, Cole, Ruutu, Larose, Samsonov, Corvo, Sutter. Don't think I left anyone out. Oh and I'm looking for a Ladd if anyone has one.

Was thinking about picking up Larose stick at the last Silent Auction, walked by the desk to see where it was pricewise and walked away knowing that I'll never own one... LOL!

Here is my current stick collection. I try to limit my collection to just Staal and Gleason. With that said, under Swap Meet on the board, I've put a game used Ruutu Easton S17 out there to see if anyone is interested in it.
sticks-1.jpg
The sticks above are:
Eric Staal - Easton Synergy - 2008-2009 season
Eric Staal - Nike Bauer One 90 - Dec. 2007 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Eric Staal - Easton Synergy - 2003-2004 season
Eric Staal - Easton Synergy - March 2006 vs. Philadelphia Flyers
Tim Gleason - Nike Bauer Supreme One 95 - 2008-2009 season
Tim Gleason - Warrior Dolomite - 2006 - 2007 season

All sticks were autographed by the players after team practices except for the Eric Staal - Nike Bauer One 90 - Dec. 2007 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs. It was signed before it was auctioned off by the Maple Leafs for charity. Here is a close up of the autographs:
sticksauto.jpg  

jb_online - your stick collection is incredible. I'm impressed with what you've been able to collect in such a short time.
caniac79-ch1 - I've seen some pictures of your collection before but if you could post again that would be great. Your collection is the most impressive Canes collection I've ever seen.
Anyone else ? - post some pictures of what you have.  It's always interesting to see what everyone else has!

If you use the "Add Reply" instead of "Quick Reply" you get all the nifty buttons/options.  The icon that looks like a mountain range with a sun, beside the smiley face, is the insert picture toggle.  So, if you upload your picture to a site like Photobucket, you just get the link and put it in the box after hitting that button to embed your image.

I can't wait to see some more pics, guys!

Swanson - I love your collection, dude!  Those are very nice looking!  And your pics are all classy looking.

Wow!  Nice collection!  I wish I had more sticks than I have, although I love the ones I do have.  I have a used and signed Jesse Boulerice stick, and an unused, but signed, Alexander Ovechkin stick.  They are my pride and joy.  I have a TON of memorabilia, but those are the only sticks I have.  I'll be watching this thread for any potential buying tips.  My only tip is to visit The Eye if you can.  Usually they have a whole rack full of used player sticks, and getting an autograph on it from the guys is easy peasy.  Sometimes you'll even find sticks at The Eye from players who are no longer on the team, or who have been called down to Albany.

Where at in the eye are these sticks?

CanesGrrrl wrote:

Wow!  Nice collection!  I wish I had more sticks than I have, although I love the ones I do have.  I have a used and signed Jesse Boulerice stick, and an unused, but signed, Alexander Ovechkin stick.  They are my pride and joy.  I have a TON of memorabilia, but those are the only sticks I have.  I'll be watching this thread for any potential buying tips.  My only tip is to visit The Eye if you can.  Usually they have a whole rack full of used player sticks, and getting an autograph on it from the guys is easy peasy.  Sometimes you'll even find sticks at The Eye from players who are no longer on the team, or who have been called down to Albany.

I have gotten all but three of my sticks from Ebay.  There are some great deals out there if you have the patience.  I'm gonna have to check out the Eye and see what they have!  Thanks for the heads up on that!!

When I first met Swanson I had a question:  "What is this black residue on the sticks?  Is it from rubbing up against the tape of other sticks?"  He told me that it was acutally a resin used for enhanced grip.  So, just incase anyone else didn't know... there you go.  Thanks again Swanson!

I found these two images on the internet.  One shows the prefered curve of some famous players' sticks.  And in the second image we see a tool used to measure the blade length of players' sticks, as there are rules in the NHL about those measurments.  Just thought I'd share.

zamzar.png57635-600-0-2.jpg

I've posted in several threads about sticks but I'll add my collection to this thread as well.

The first two sticks I have were acquired by marriage (i.e. they belong to my wife), and they were given to her when she worked at the RBC center around 99-02.  One is a Ron Francis Franklin Graphite 5090, autographed and marked with #21 not #10 so it's from his first or second year with the Canes.  The second is a Sami Kapanen Bauer Supreme also autographed.

l_40c0443a294c46b6942a78c564858b29.jpg

JB, I also have a team auto'd SherWood similar to yours.  I bought mine on Ebay, did you get yours signed in person? Players include Staal, Brindamour, Ward, Commodore, AWard, Kaberle, Cullen, J Willie, Vasicek, C Adams, K Adams and several others. You can see the blade of it in this pic:

l_ef9e397bccb24421a5e9660b720204cd.jpg

The rest of my sticks are non-autographed that were given to me as gifts by my wifes brother who plays hockey with Wally's son and gets sticks, some broken some not, some he plays with, some he gives away.

Brandon Sutter - Warrior Dolemite

Justin Williams - Easton Synergy SE

Joe Corvo - Easton S17 (whole stick)

Joe Corvo - Easton SE 16 (Shaft only, blade broken off)

Sergei Samsonov - Nike Bauer P90

Right now all of my stuff is packed up since we are moving soon, but I'll take more pictures once I get my new man cave set up.  The current picture only shows the Williams and Samsonov sticks which were the first two I got.

l_a9738fd26051469e9f48088d5c59a73c.jpg

Wow, nice info jb. Which Staal uses that one?
I'm not sure, but I would think probably Eric (because he is the most popular Staal, he is a game cover-guy).  But that is my assumption.

I remember your story, you have a great collection!  Thanks for posting the pics, dude.  I also got my team signed stick on Ebay, about two years ago for $53.  Is it bad that I remember that price?  laugh.gif

You are the man with the connections!  That's awesome.  I'd love to get a Francis stick like that.  I have seen a couple for sale but just couldn't pull the trigger on them.

Can't wait to see pics of the NEW mancave!

That's about what I paid for mine, which was funny most of the sticks on Ebay were like 200$ or more, and a guy from Canada had one for 30$.. of course it was also 30 bucks shipping, but still cheaper then the other sticks. From the autos and the players I can tell they were collected over several seasons because some of the guys didn't play together I don't think. Looking at the sticks, wooden Sher-Woods, no tape, never used most likely bought from a proshop, we could have gotten our sticks from the same guy. Ours are different model numbers, but he probably grabbed whatever was cheapest.

How sad is it when we go watch him play and he has a new stick I wish for him to break it so he'll give it to me? LOL. The ones he use have had the tape removed (or were never taped to begin with) and so they don't have the numbers or any other markings on them. The Williams one has the 11 on it (the blade is broken). Ironically all the sticks he's given me are right handed, since he uses most of them, but the Francis and Kapanen ones are both lefties, so they hang on the wall the opposite way. I had mine hanging on the wall (using the handle tape) with the blades out, so you can read the names on the shafts (also as if they were stacked behind the bench).

I don't know anything about sticks, although I'd love to be able to play someday (even though I'm way to old) Sutter's Warrior stick is very nice.. very light, nice feel to it. Corvo's stick is also very light. Compared to the Francis and Kapanen sticks which are wood the difference is amazing.

I just got an Arturs Irbe stick from a man in Kansas City (through Ebay), Irbe gave it to him after a home game.  Irbe played 42 games with the KC Blades, a San Jose Sharks affiliate, in his minor league career... it was acutally his first team here in America.  It has all the tape and he also signed it on the shaft ("All the Best - Arturs Irbe #32").  I got it for a steal... only $36!

irbe.png

Funny enough, the EYE in Crabtree Mall used to sell used sticks. They were usually picked over, and most of what was left was 4th liners or AHL callups. But I did grab a Chaisson one day. Used to see a lot of Vasicek sticks there.

I have a small collection but i have a: Tuomo Ruutu autographed Easton S17, Eric Staal autographed Easton Synergy rookie stick, and a Chad LaRose autographed Easton Synergy

i would like to expand my collection some if anybody has a Tim Gleason, Joe Corvo, Jussi Jokinen or the main stick i would love to find would be a Manny Legace as odd as that may sound. If anyone knows where I can get one of these please let me know. Thanks 

I have a Rod Brind'Amour game used stick that I bought at the Eye from Crabtree Mall back in 2003 or 2004.  I then took it to a few practices that year and had most of the players sign that stick including Rod.  It's very cool to have that here in my room.  I'll try posting a few pictures of it sometime.