The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
colefan4life

the Stick Collector Thread

Hi jb. I finally can log on this board. That's a really nice Irbe stick. I should have bidded on it lol. Well, I have already put my collection on the wall, but there were some of them that I can't. I'm thinking about installing some more in between 2 sticks, but not sure if it's gonna be too tight. My friend just got my Broken Ron Francis stick today and he's gonna fix it. He said I'm gonna be surprised lol.

How much did they sell at The Eye? They don't do that anymore, right?

I found this video and felt that it needed to be shared. I noticed on my Cole stick that the tape was applied in a very unusual way and wondered why... so here is the answer. Cool huh? Edited by jb_online

I have 2 Coles sticks. One of them is taped like in the video. The other one taped like spiral the whole blade, but leave it bare along the lower edge of the blade. What I know is that some players may not tape every single stick by themself, but an equipment manager may help them sometimes.

I only have one stick currently, but it is a very nice, vintage (wood) Francis stick along with a Gelinas blade from the '02 playoff--got it when he broke his stick during practice (the blade flew over the glass).

Biggest regret I ever had re: sticks is when we were at the Eye right before the '06 playoffs and they were putting sticks out for sale. My sister grabbed a Gerber goalie stick and we looked for a second one. They didn't have any more, but had a Cam Ward stick. She offered me the $ if I wanted it as I didn't have my wallet with me (I think it was like $75.00) but I decided against it because he was the backup goalie. Would'a, could'a, should'a!

The sticks I would most like to add to my collection are Cole and Whitney and maybe LaRose, along of course with a Ward goalie stick.

I need to take a photo to post of the stick holder I have for the Francis stick. It is really unique.

I also have a Francis glove, which is nice, but I don't know that I'd ever consider getting another glove (the eau de leather and sweat is quite overwhelming).

L

I got a Cam Ward stick recently.  This thing rocks... it's got the patented "Have Fun" signature on the white Bauer logo, has an almost perfect tape job, light wear with a slight crack in the handle and has both 30 and G5 written on the knob.  I asked the seller about the G5 and he confirmed that Cam used this one in the 2009 playoffs.  (EDIT) I found some images on the net that shows him using this stick against Boston.

cam_ward.png

Did you guys notice from the USA vs Canada game that Brodeur had USA written on his stick-knob?  It's the same thing that Cam does, marking what game he used it in.  That was really cool, and Eddie Olczyk pointed it out during the broadcast (though he didn't understand what it meant... didn't he play for a long time?  How could he not know what it meant?).

I'm dying to see some of your stick pictures guys.  (Nate I'm looking at you... lol)

Finally I got time to display my stuffs. It took quite a while to install those holders on the wall to really fit the sticks. I collect only sticks that have original tape. Small crack is ok as long as it still stays strongly in one piece. Well, I'll start with the first picture that has 10 sticks and some other used equipments. From the top:
1. (signed) Ron Francis from 1998 when he wore number 21. It was broken into 2 pieces when I received it. My friend fix it for me and you can't really tell huh? This is the only one stick I have that doesn't have blade tape.
2. (signed) Glen Wesley: Warrior Dolomite. I found just one picture that he used this stick. On Nov 17, 2006 vs Caps at Verizon Center.
3. (signed) My favorite player, Jussi Jokinen. Hopefully it might be the magic stick that tied the game in round 1 game 7. lol But I don't think so 'cause these players got lots of sticks. Got a crack at the back of the shaft, but still strong.
4. (signed) Brandon Sutter: Reebok 10K Sickick II Technology. No crack.
5. (signed) Patrick Dwyer: Easton... I think it's S19, but it's blacked out and he used this when he just called up. Got a small crack at the shaft close to the blade.
6. (signed) Ray Whitney: Easton S19. No crack.
7. (signed) Sergei Samsonov: Nike Bauer One90. Just got a trade from jb_online on Thursday and got Sammy to sign on the next day lol. I really like this stick. Nice design. I really love this one. Thanks jb.
8. (signed) Tim Gleason: Nike Bauer Supreme One95. This is the best autograph that I got from Timmy. The blad is totally broke, but still stays together. Can't really tell though.
9. (signed) Tuomo Ruutu: Easton S17. Nice condition. It said 'MAALI 3' under the tape by the handle (can't see from this side).
10. (signed) Erik Cole: Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX. Got a small crack on the shaft.
The rest in the picture are Chad gloves, Pitkanen gloves, Brind'Amour gloves, Ray gloves (black), Jussi skates, and Staal skates.

The second picture shows 7 more sticks that I don't have space to put. Start from the top:
1. (signed) Matt Cullen: Eason S17. No crack.
2. (signed) Tuomo Ruutu: Warrior AK27. I think this one might be just a sample that Warrior let him try, so it might be the only one.
3. Erik Cole: Nike Bauer Vapor X:60. This one is NOT SIGNED and has a SMALL TINY CRACK. Since I have his already, I'm willing to TRADE this one if anybody is interested. I don't wanna sell it.
4. Eric Staal: Easton Synergy ES Elite. No crack and not signed yet.
5. Eric Staal: Easton Synergy Composite. No crack and not signed yet.
6. (signed) Niclas Wallin: Nike Bauer Supreme One95. This is the only one stick that I received from the player himself. I asked him to sign for me when he handed in me this stick. He's a really nice guy and always nice to Caniacs.
7. (signed) Andrew Alberts: Nike Bauer Vapor X:60. Nice one.

The third picture is 4 goalie sticks that I just put on the wall. From the top:
1. (signed) Cam Ward: Nike Bauer Supreme One95. This one is really nice without any crack. It might be used in playoffs round 2 game 1
2. (signed) Manny Legace Sher-Wood. got some crack at the shaft, but not bad. Hope he's gonna stay next season. He's a nice friendly guy.
3. (signed) Justin Peters Bauer Supreme 7500. Nice condition. Got a little crack like the first layer of the wood of the shaft is coming off, but still stick together.
4. Michael Leighton: Reebok 6K. No major crack and not signed.
Those 3 pictures are the ones I really love. The first one is Ron Francis. I got this on Fri. Oct. 16th, 2009. He asked my name and put 'Best wishes Nate.' Maybe because he was afraid that I was gonna sell it, but I don't mind 'cause that makes it special smile.gif The second pic is (signed) Jussi 0.2 second goal with the horn of miracle and a (signed) ticket of that game that I went to. The last pic is The very last second of 'Shock at the Rock' playoffs 2009 round 1 game 7. It took me a month to have everybody's autograph, Cam, Rod, Cole, Staal, Timmy, and Joe.

The rest are close up of the gloves and skates mentioned before

(left) signed Chad LaRose gloves. I did ask him to personalize these gloves for me.
(right) signed Joni Pitkanen gloves. His gloves are really big
imageimage

(left) signed Rod Brind'Amour gloves. pretty old and worn out. His?
(right) signed Ray Whitney third jersey gloves. These gloves are might be customed for him after surgery. Not sure.

imageimage

(left) signed Eric Staal skates.
(right) signed Jussi Jokinen skates. I should have let him sign in silver sharpie, but that's ok.

imageimage

These all I got so far. Not sure if I should put other equipments besides sticks, but I just put all together at one time. Sorry if my post is too long and hope you all enjoy the pics. Once again, let me know if anybody's interested in my unsigned Erik Cole. I will try to post that in the swap as well.

I'm speechless, Nate.

Outstanding collection my friend!  I knew you had a lot, but seeing it all together is amazing.  Thanks so much for posting the images!  We've got to get together and attend some practices, soon.  I have a long way to go to catch-up on the signatures.  lol

Nate - Awesome collection!

If you interested in trading or selling your Staal composite stick let me know.

The layout of the sticks (especially the goalie sticks) is very impressive.  What did you use for hangers? 

Once again, awesome collection.  I know you put a lot of time in it so congrats on your hunt!!

Thanks guys. I am glad that you all like my collection. Your collections are nice too. I really love the Samsonov stick that I got from jb. Nike Bauer One90 is a piece of art. I have just Eric Cole for trade right now. Swanson, why don't you show the rest of your collection?

I like the goalie sticks layout too. It came out better than I thought. I had been thinking about this layout for a long time, but just got time to try not too long ago. All hangers I used are 'Corner Braces' size 3/4" x 1/2" that I bought as 4 pack from Lows for maybe 1.70 or 1.90 a pack I can't remember now. I used 3 for each stick, 2 at the bottom and 1 on the top in the middle. I installed 2 at the bottom first, then put the stick on them. Put another one on the top and measured. I used the same thing with the goalie sticks, but a little different placement. At the bottom left, I installed close to the handle. If I did close to the knob at the end of the stick, it's not gonna hold the stick. Those hangers or holders for hockey sticks are way ridiculous expensive. One set for just 1 stick costs over 20 bucks. I saw a set of 3 for like 70 bucks. Can you imagine? If I bought those, I had to pay $350 just for the hangers. Wow.

The package is like this. Got 4 in there.

Holdig the stick.

imageimage

Swanson, why don't you show the rest of your collection?  
Nate - What you see is what I got. I have limited space (and tolerance by the wife) so I only collect Staal and Gleason sticks currently. I've had Cole, Larose, Commodore, Kaberle, Babchuk, Ruutu, Samsonov and Corvo sticks but have traded or sold them. I'm with you on the original tape and no cracks.  That makes it a little more challenging but still doable.

I'm always interested in any Staal or Gleason sticks I don't have!

I searched images from google and found this. Where did you get these from?

The places I have seen or heard about are:

• The Eye
  • Silent Auctions at the RBC Center
  • Ebay.com (my best source)
  • Craigslist.com
  • Collectors here at the forums
  • Online stores (like gamewornuniforms.com)

Most of my Hurricanes collection is collecting autographs, but I do have a few sticks.

My Stick collection is:

Sami Kapanen (signed), Jamie Storr (unsigned), Curtis Leschyshyn (signed), 2001-2002 Team signed, 2008-2009 Team Signed, Danny Markov (signed), David Tanabe (signed)

I do have a Gerry Cheevers (signed commemorative stick)

I do have a lot of signed Carolina Hurricanes mini sticks:

Bret Hedican, Bruno St. Jacque, Craig Adams, Craig McDonald, Dave Karpa, Erik Cole, Glen Wesley, Jan Hlavac, Jean Marc Pelletier, Jeff Daniels, Jeff O'Neill, Joseph Vasicek, Kevin Weekes, Patrick DeRocheres, Rod Brind'Amour, Ron Francis, Ryan Bayda

mitsandlid.png

Nate inspired me to post pics of my other stuff... I don't have much right now, but I've got a helmet used by Jaroslav Svoboda [Nike/Bauer 2001-2002, with post 9/11 memorial sticker] and a pair of gloves used in 2005-2006 by one of the call-ups, but I don't know who.

I have a game used peters stick sherwood white blue and silver from his 1st few weeks in the ahl. i may get it signed at the rats auto session anyone have any interest in the thing?

Jamie McBain  game used signed stick from the River Rats this yr! smile.gif

That's one I'd like. I've really liked what I've seen from him so far. If this keeps up, Cole may find himself as my second favorite player. Good offensive defenseman, yet very responsible in his own end. Not afraid to go up against top guys (great move last night to deny Ovie a breakaway). Great passing ability and decent physically.