The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

PANIC BUTTON??

Kinda early for an all out panic but if they don't win some points over this road trip, I'd expect some type of shake up as soon as they return.  Now if they don't respond to that shake up (if its needed), then I'd say we had some real issues needing fixing.

Those that tend to hit the panic button don't usually need too much fuel for their fire and I'm sure there are some with their finger positioned ready to push.

I think it's a little early to press the panic button, but I don't think it's too early to start looking for it.  I'm not buying that we need to wait for the new players to gel since our old players on lines together aren't getting the job done.  J.R. fired a coach after a slow start last season.  Who can be fired (or traded) this year if things don't turn around?

I think it's a little early to press the panic button, but I don't think it's too early to start looking for it.  I'm not buying that we need to wait for the new players to gel since our old players on lines together aren't getting the job done.  J.R. fired a coach after a slow start last season.  Who can be fired (or traded) this year if things don't turn around?
I don't know that panic button is the right word but something is really misfiring as far as this team, whether it is the wrong mix of the right people or the lack of a real preseason something is missing.  Cam played a good game in New Jersey and should have left with a "W" instead of a "L"!!  Cam owns Broduer but if we can't put the puck in the net then there is only so much Cam can do!!

That has always been my issue with the "MO" system, it is heavy on defense but doesn't do much on offense.  Kinda why I liked the Lavi system, though it created a defensive liability - we scored in bunches!!

I think it's a little early to press the panic button, but I don't think it's too early to start looking for it.

I'm just kinda glancing over at it occasionally ....  Hopefully after this road trip I won't have my hand raised eyes.gif

If we lose to the Islanders on wed. I will be officially in panic mode... Tavares will want to prove he was worth taking #1 in the draft, and to do that, they have to beat an NHL level opponent. That team is gonna be hungry, something only a first win can satisfy! Let's GO CANES!

I am still about 10 games away from pushing the panic button. But I agree with those who say if we don't see improvement by the end of the road swing it will be time to make changes .  The  second week of November is when I would be in panic mode if we are still  not producing results.  That isn't to say if a deal or opportunity came up before then I wouldn't take a hard look at.it.

It should take around 25 games into the season when team can be objectively judged. No need to press panic button yet.

Only one month ago pretty much everyone here saw Canes as one of the top SC contenders and praised JR for the off season well done. Now less than a month into the season we are having panic attacks.

Reality check anyone? smile.gif

i understand about not pushing the panic button but when you look at the abbreviated preseason and lack of production from our forwards then you don't want to wait 25 games to fix that.

i understand about not pushing the panic button but when you look at the abbreviated preseason and lack of production from our forwards then you don't want to wait 25 games to fix that.
well... precisely, and nobody said you have to wait 25 games to fix he problem. There is a difference between trying to fix things and having a panic attack.

I am sure both coaching and management see the problem and trying to fix it. Fans don't know what's going on behind the scenes, at least this fan doesn't. Therefore, my position is to sit down, relax, and wait until 25 games mark.

It should take less than 25 games for the team to find a fix. If we are beyond that point and nothing changes in the game plan, we'll there is always a good first round pick and another off season ahead of us.

It should take around 25 games into the season when team can be objectively judged. No need to press panic button yet.

Only one month ago pretty much everyone here saw Canes as one of the top SC contenders and praised JR for the off season well done. Now less than a month into the season we are having panic attacks.

Reality check anyone? smile.gif

you think people are panicking here  you should check hf where they already have the trade deadline thread going, mo fired and a complete team of rats ready to suit up against the nhls finest and theyre looking to chicago to give us some of there players just....because. i'll take toews if theyre giving him.

roll.gif

you make a great point though, a mon th ago jr was god and this team was in the conference finals.  anyone seen torontos record yet

I'm hitting the "concerned look on my face" button. Lose 2/3 on the road trip and the "deal or no deal" lid comes off the button. Go through the first week in November still averaging 1.3 goals/game (not including Florida) and the button gets pushed.

Despite my ongoing predictions that we are going to have a drop off in goals, even I don't see how it could stay this bad. Pitkanen will help, and a healthier Staal will help, and just the fact that we can't really be this bad will help.

I think JR will not make a move for at least 9-10 more games unless things actually get worse. But the fact is that in terms of offense, it really can't get much worse.

DMonk

Only one month ago pretty much everyone here saw Canes as one of thetop SC contenders and praised JR for the off season well done. Now lessthan a month into the season we are having panic attacks.

A month ago we hadn't seen the Canes play.  Expectations were high. But so far this season the old Canes blended with a few new Canes have not set our hockey world on fire. But your point is well taken.  We will see.

Its waaaay to early to be pushing any buttons.  No one has ever made the playoffs in the first 2 weeks of the season.  I am not thrilled by the offensive output so far, but its still early.  Hopefully the goals will start coming in bunches and we'll get back on track.  The D doesn't look too bad as of right now and the Devils game was decided by a fluke goal.  Cam is as solid as ever and if the boys get him a goal or two a night we will be right back in business.  Don't push that button!  LET'S GO CANES!!!

Man, the big guns come out.  Anyway, I think we are stuck with what we have until the trade deadline.  I'm concerned but I'll wait until the road trip is done to make a better assessment.  Gun, rope, knife anyone?

we have to have better goal production than what we saw Saturday. we appear to be skating well but it is almost like the guys (except Cam) forgot there is a net on the ice that needs to be fed pucks. For the most part defensive night but putting no pucks in the net sorta negates the effort.

yeah, while I am disappointed in my team (minus cam, very very proud of him), I have to say that at least half of the bad play can be somewhat contributed to the schedule.

game 1: flyers. they were just good.

game 2: bruins, they were going to beat us

game 3: lightning, we won, fine.

game 4: panthers, no disrespect to them, but if we loose this yes, press the panic button

game 5: lightning, back to back, weren't going to beat them twice in the same week on there home opener

game 6: penguins, good game but we loose in shootout.

game 7: devils, they were going to beat us.

too many excuses of why we didn't win those games, that's the problem. could've been much worse losses though, Cam played well and made them pretty losses.

So... I say we wait another month. Show some support for the guys, fly those car flags. I saw a bus today that was flashing "go canes" going down glenwood.

Well, first of all...it's been a looong while again since I got here...just because of moving to a new home, my little daughter and a new job...keeps me from watching hockey all that much sad.gif

However...from what I see yet (only got to read a lot and watch highlights) it all came as I expected it to be. A team filled over and over with great and hard working 3rd/4th liners...period. Still, there's no reasonable 1st line, no producing scoring lines at all.

I'm not sure if it's time for a hit on the panic button, if so, it would have been time for years now. Eric is still totally underperforming, 2 points in 7 games is way too less for our "best player" and "top scorer". There has to be found a fitting solution, may it be moving him to the wing and find someone to center him well, or find a strong playmaking winger as his linemate. Maybe it's time to take a shot at the fresh, creative young guns like Boychuk and Bowman? I don't know...

I think it's a testament to Mo that he's having a hard time making this good of a team look as good as they are....

or maybe it is a testament to MO that they are playing this way!!  I have seen mo do this for a few seasons, take a good team and make the mediocre.

This is like a thread re-run from last year.  "Cam Ward...Average at best".  "Offensive Defensemen"  "Staal not producing".  Same ol, same ol.  I say, no way, no panic button.....not even close to needing it.  I think our main problem is how we approached the pre-season games.....giving the prospects some seat time and sitting the 'regulars'....in hindsight, that was probably a mistake.  We have some excellent prospects up in Albany, our defensive core and goalie are solid.  Our offensive production was slow to start last year as well.  So we're full of 3rd/4th liners right now....or so some are saying.  Staal is not 100%...probably not even 80%, probably if he were just like most other players, he'd be on the sidelines, but he is not.  He is out there playing...playing injured at that.  Ruutu and Samsonov will find the back of the net, Whitney and Staal already have.  Brindy looks way better at the start than he did last year.  We're ok.  Don't panic, its just hockey.  When the Canes offense heats up, and it will, and our defensive core is as solid and physical as it is right now, we'll get on a hot streak.  I'll get a little uneasy if this play continues into the end of November, but I think we're about due for a breakout game, and it may happen on the road.

I just added the Nov schedule to our site calendar and this road trip is more important than I thought.  The Nov schedule is going to be pretty demanding with both travel and opponents, and there wont be any lag time in between games like they've had this month(which may be a good thing).  They're going to need to win some points in the new few games to at least make the hole more shallow before Nov comes.

Their schedule so far this season has been an interesting one for sure.

Just my observation, no panic. wink.gif  

I just added the Nov schedule to our site calendar and this road trip is more important than I thought.  The Nov schedule is going to be pretty demanding with both travel and opponents, and there wont be any lag time in between games like they've had this month(which may be a good thing).  They're going to need to win some points in the new few games to at least make the hole more shallow before Nov comes.

Their schedule so far this season has been an interesting one for sure.

Just my observation, no panic. wink.gif