The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

PANIC BUTTON??

We're dropping points that we need now. Isles, Wild and only 2 points between those 2 games? That should be 4 points.

I'm not sure what panic looks like. Mo has already shifted the lines around. That hasn't helped. We appear to have an ECF hangover, if you want to know the truth.

I thought for the first 6 minutes of the Colorado game that we looked like the playoff Canes.... controlled the puck, won the battles, scored twice.

Then the wheels came off again.

We need to keep that style of play for a full 60, not just 6.

Sorry, but I really don't care what the Leafs are doing.  Yes, it's a long season.  But losing 8 of 10 games with no hint of improvement after all the preseason speculation and excitement makes the panic button a fair target.

Now that we have heard Yelle was put on waivers...I know thats not hitting the Button but looks like they might be Yelle-ing @ it!!!roll.gif

It is too early I agree
Sorry to interrupt the panic attacks but how on earth did your user name get changed to that? huh.gif

Last season in January at the Panther debacle I was well beyond pushing the panic button.  It looked like there was no reasonable way that the Canes would make a playoff push let alone a deep playoff run.  I forget how far out of the hunt they were after that game but the effort was weak and I  had already raised the white flag.   I told my son after the game not to get caught up in the playoff race, and just go to the games and have fun, hopefully see some good games.   I think this year we have a much greater chance at this point than we did at that point last year.  The average points needed over the past three seasons to make the playoffs is 93,   (Last season 93, 94 in 2008, and 92 in 2007)  With that said having played 10 games already with 72 remaining, the Canes would need 86 more points so the won loss column would look something like this (43-29) or (39-25-8) Not a pretty picture, especially currently being third in the division.

Last season in January at the Panther debacle I was well beyond pushing the panic button.  It looked like there was no reasonable way that the Canes would make a playoff push let alone a deep playoff run.  I forget how far out of the hunt they were after that game but the effort was weak and I  had already raised the white flag.   I told my son after the game not to get caught up in the playoff race, and just go to the games and have fun, hopefully see some good games.   I think this year we have a much greater chance at this point than we did at that point last year.  The average points needed over the past three seasons to make the playoffs is 93,   (Last season 93, 94 in 2008, and 92 in 2007)  With that said having played 10 games already with 72 remaining, the Canes would need 86 more points so the won loss column would look something like this (43-29) or (39-25-8) Not a pretty picture, especially currently being third in the division.
Actually we are fourth in the Division behind Washington, Atlanta and Tampa Bay.  Atlanta and Tampa Bay have played 2 and 1 less game, respectively.

It really isn't to early, why not make some changes and stop the bleeding now. Why wait and have to scramble the 2nd half of the season. Do it now and then if we do have a rough spot later in the season it won't be as hard to get past. The guys will be more tired,maybe have more injuries, who know what might happen. You have got to turn it around now. Pushing the panic button doesn't mean "fire sale"it just means what the Canes are doing now isn't working.

I don't think its time for the panic button yet. We are only 10 games into the season as of this post. However, there are a few alarming things that stand out. First of all, there are 23 teams in the NHL that are ahead of us in points, and we are tied with 4 teams with only 7 points, leaving only 2 other teams that have less points than we do. ESPN have us at #25 in the Power Rankings this week, and while you cannot place to much emphasis on the power rankings, it gives a good idea of what the overall image is of the Canes. We are definitely having trouble scoring, not only on the power play (which needs to do a complete 180) but just in general, we aren't putting the puck in the back of the net. There is a whole lot of dump and chase going on as we are not getting enough traffic and screens in front of the net to take shots and look for rebounds. The defense at times looks like its finally getting a hang of what they want to be and the next thing you know, they are breaking down and giving up a no-excuse goal (I.E. Clutterbuck goal in OT). As good as Cam is and as good as he has been playing, it is obviously not working to put the entire game on his shoulders and depend on him to win it...last time I checked, Cam wasn't scoring very many goals for us. It was nice to get Joni back on the ice, hes a big defenseman with scoring capabilities and although he makes some questionable passes at times, he does assist on the rush. I think Cole can potentially provide that spark on the Staal line when he comes back as he did when we got him back from Edmonton. There are tons of Problems for the Canes right now, but honestly we are just a step or two away from being right where we need to be, we have the talent for sure. Lets hope that we can put together a solid performance at home against the Blues on Wednesday and get a little momentum going. OT losses are much better than a loss in regulation, but we need some 2 point nights and not settle for the 1. Its time to step up the intensity and show a little bit of heart and grind a little harder to get these victories. Time for Larose to show up and begin scoring some goals...the same can be said of Ruutu when he's back and even Jussi. Staal is sitting at 3 goals and he could stand to put a few more in, but I think a lot of times he takes the load of the blame and complaints. If it wasn't for the Wizzard in the past couple of games, we really would be looking rough. Need to get some of these things worked out and I think we will be right back on track. LETS GO CANES !

My opinion of the team is based on the last three games which I have been able to watch on tv:

There are only a small handful of players whom I'd give a pat on the back right now: Cam Ward, Whitney, Pitkanen, maybe Jokinen.

Guys that are just coasting by, doing what they are capable of but not really extending themselves: Walker, Ruutu, Corvo

Guys that are underacheiving: Cullen, Larose, Sammy, Brindy

and then there are guys I'm just shaking my head at:

A. Ward - slow as molasses and what's up with all the head shots?!?!?

Staal: He is our cornerstone, but he's playing like a call-up. Despite wearing the "A," let's face it guys, we look to him when our chips our down. He doesn't have to light up the stats column but at least make others around him better, or set the tone, or just flat out lead by example. Instead, he looks lazy, and for someone who is 6'4" and supposedly strong, he's not too hard to strip the puck from. He doesn't have the confidence to shoot anymore like he did couple years ago. He's the poster boy for Bauer but right now he's embarrassing himself. He's lost his mojo and someone, something, somehow, has got to help him get it back. (And don't say wait for Cole)

Sutter: If he's our best prospect, then we're screwed unless Boychuk is a gift from the heavens. We're one of the oldest teams and when Whitney, Brindy, A. Ward, Walker, Yelle, Wallin are finished, we're in for some lean years ala Hartford. We were never good at drafting except for Cam, Staal, and Cole, so finishing low doesn't guarantee a Pittsburgh type of lineup.

Maurice: I refuse to believe that we are as bad as the stats currently say. We have the talent but something is missing. The guys are so wound up and trying so hard. It's demoralizing to see the Isles beat us, the kids in Colorado outskate us, and Clutterbuck chipping in the OT winner with a 9-iron with Wallin on his back. Rutherford gave him the pieces we needed: size and grit on D. Mo just has to put it all together. Fast.

It is pushed.

I never thought this team would start out so badly a month ago. I don't get it, I thought we were supposed to be improved as a whole? This is turning out to be like the 06-07 season for me. I was so excited for that season to begin, being the defending Cup champs, just to be dissapointed after the first 10 games, it's the same here.

At least the season is still young but this no way a team that's supposed to be a playoff contender should start. For crying out loud our only wins are against the Florida teams.

We aren't even through with October, and people are already slamming their hands on the panic button as hard as they can. Granted, some things need to change, and a player shake up might be a good start, but to already be calling for people's heads and worrying about our playoff run is bordering on ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not the type to hit the panic button even when all is lost because hockey means more to me than how many games we win and how many cups we bring home. Still, if I were the panic button type, now wouldn't be the time. I understand, as a fan, how it is to be frustrated with your team. I get it. But let's put this in perspective. We're what? 10 games in? We have the whole season ahead, and we know our Canes are capable of surprising us even when we think there is no way out. Let's sit back and see what else happens, and just ENJOY the game! If the Canes come back from this, this dismal beginning won't even matter anymore.

Deep breath, folks! Let's give the guys a chance to see what they can do (and no, these first few games aren't the chance I'm talking about). I'm sure there is only so much personal humiliation they can take before they are going to start coming out like fighters.

We aren't even through with October, and people are already slamming their hands on the panic button as hard as they can. Granted, some things need to change, and a player shake up might be a good start, but to already be calling for people's heads and worrying about our playoff run is bordering on ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not the type to hit the panic button even when all is lost because hockey means more to me than how many games we win and how many cups we bring home. Still, if I were the panic button type, now wouldn't be the time. I understand, as a fan, how it is to be frustrated with your team. I get it. But let's put this in perspective. We're what? 10 games in? We have the whole season ahead, and we know our Canes are capable of surprising us even when we think there is no way out. Let's sit back and see what else happens, and just ENJOY the game! If the Canes come back from this, this dismal beginning won't even matter anymore.

Deep breath, folks! Let's give the guys a chance to see what they can do (and no, these first few games aren't the chance I'm talking about). I'm sure there is only so much personal humiliation they can take before they are going to start coming out like fighters.

Can I tell my boss that?  25 strikes and I am out?

Let's see how many fans are left in the stands with 10 straight loses.  Looked dismal tonight already.

I'm staring at it.

You know how last year Samsonov couldn't buy a goal til like halfway through the season.  Yep, now its the whole team in a rut.  I see what Whaler is talking about now with sloppy passes.  Turnovers via bad passes killed us tonight.  An ill-timed line change killed us tonight.  A tired goalie shouldn't have been playing tonight.

Walker, Whitney, Kost look pretty good offensively.  Maybe to shock the senses, move Cully up to center a 'different' looking first line.  I think Scotty is showing first line effort.  Whitney definitely is, right now, Whitney deserves a 'c'.  Kostopolous is playing beyond a 4th liner.  LaRose is playing worse than a 4th liner.  Shake the whole thing upsidedown topsy turvy.  Tonight was a massive dissapointment, and at times we looked utterly lost out there. 

I don't know what the answer is, but nuking the whole team isn't it.  A couple of fresh faces on different lines, and a bag skate of the O guys is needed, and Cam needs relief.  Put Leights in against the Flyers...that'll keep the defensive pairings sharper...then shake up the O.  I hope this gets straightened out before November 1....I'll be at the Sharks game in our current Toilet Bowl.  Hopefully we can flush the sharks, and put Leights in net....he has their number.

2-6-3 with a whopping 7 points) and not looking like they are even interested.  They're slow, they are off on passing, the timing is a step off, they turn over the puck in their own zone way too much....they are not quick to the puck, they lose the little battles and they dump and chase even on a power play. Two PPG tonight is something, plus a better job staying out of the box, but they are not aggressive/  Oh, did I mention that they're S-L-O-W?  Time to retool...who is the sacrificial lamb?  Maybe MO would be a good candidate to be shown the door first... I did not like it when JR brought him back and I still don't.  But there may be a need to make some player moves, too.  Panic mode is here.