The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

PANIC BUTTON??

2-6-3 with a whopping 7 points) and not looking like they are even interested.  They're slow, they are off on passing, the timing is a step off, they turn over the puck in their own zone way too much....they are not quick to the puck, they lose the little battles and they dump and chase even on a power play. Two PPG tonight is something, plus a better job staying out of the box, but they are not aggressive/  Oh, did I mention that they're S-L-O-W?  Time to retool...who is the sacrificial lamb?  Maybe MO would be a good candidate to be shown the door first... I did not like it when JR brought him back and I still don't.  But there may be a need to make some player moves, too.  Panic mode is here.

I agree.  Mo must go.  No other team in the NHL would stand for this...OH...forgot...he's J.R.'s best friend.

[quote name='WStout wrote:

CanesGrrrl']We aren't even through with October, and people are already slamming their hands on the panic button as hard as they can. Granted, some things need to change, and a player shake up might be a good start, but to already be calling for people's heads and worrying about our playoff run is bordering on ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not the type to hit the panic button even when all is lost because hockey means more to me than how many games we win and how many cups we bring home. Still, if I were the panic button type, now wouldn't be the time. I understand, as a fan, how it is to be frustrated with your team. I get it. But let's put this in perspective. We're what? 10 games in? We have the whole season ahead, and we know our Canes are capable of surprising us even when we think there is no way out. Let's sit back and see what else happens, and just ENJOY the game! If the Canes come back from this, this dismal beginning won't even matter anymore.

Deep breath, folks! Let's give the guys a chance to see what they can do (and no, these first few games aren't the chance I'm talking about). I'm sure there is only so much personal humiliation they can take before they are going to start coming out like fighters.

Can I tell my boss that?  25 strikes and I am out?

Let's see how many fans are left in the stands with 10 straight loses.  Looked dismal tonight already.

You know who will be left in the stands?  The true fans who have stuck through worse, and care about more than the numbers in the W column.  If you want to vacate, feel free to go.  There are 29 other teams you can choose from.

And this is hockey, not your 9 to 5.  Besides, let's ask Leafs fans about loyalty through tough times.  They know all about that!  If we make a turn around, these games here at the beginning won't even matter.  And if we don't turn it around, see the two seasons pre-lockout.  If fans can stick around through that, this should be nothing.  As someone who stuck by them then, this doesn't even compare.

[quote name='CanesGrrrl wrote:

WStout wrote:

CanesGrrrl']We aren't even through with October, and people are already slamming their hands on the panic button as hard as they can. Granted, some things need to change, and a player shake up might be a good start, but to already be calling for people's heads and worrying about our playoff run is bordering on ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not the type to hit the panic button even when all is lost because hockey means more to me than how many games we win and how many cups we bring home. Still, if I were the panic button type, now wouldn't be the time. I understand, as a fan, how it is to be frustrated with your team. I get it. But let's put this in perspective. We're what? 10 games in? We have the whole season ahead, and we know our Canes are capable of surprising us even when we think there is no way out. Let's sit back and see what else happens, and just ENJOY the game! If the Canes come back from this, this dismal beginning won't even matter anymore.

Deep breath, folks! Let's give the guys a chance to see what they can do (and no, these first few games aren't the chance I'm talking about). I'm sure there is only so much personal humiliation they can take before they are going to start coming out like fighters.

Let's see how many fans are left in the stands with 10 straight loses.  Looked dismal tonight already.

You know who will be left in the stands?  The true fans who have stuck through worse, and care about more than the numbers in the W column.  If you want to vacate, feel free to go.  There are 29 other teams you can choose from.

And this is hockey, not your 9 to 5.  Besides, let's ask Leafs fans about loyalty through tough times.  They know all about that!  If we make a turn around, these games here at the beginning won't even matter.  And if we don't turn it around, see the two seasons pre-lockout.  If fans can stick around through that, this should be nothing.  As someone who stuck by them then, this doesn't even compare.

and the "true" fans are not going to carry the budget, baby.

I don't know why we fight amongst ourselves over this anyway.  Not our problem.  Management's problem.  I'll still watch (I guess).

CanesGrrrl wrote:

Give it rest.  No one really cares about who the "true" fans are.  Any fan who pays their hard earned money to go watch a game, deserves better. This town deserves better than Paul Maurice who could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

[quote name='WStout wrote:

CanesGrrrl wrote:

WStout']

and the "true" fans are not going to carry the budget, baby.

I don't know why we fight amongst ourselves over this anyway.  Not our problem.  Management's problem.  I'll still watch (I guess).Now that I can agree with.  Us gluttons for punishment don't nearly number the fans who jump on board when things are running smoothly.  Which, if you think about it, is kind of sad.  Hockey is such a great sport, it deserves to have the support, y'know?  Hence why I'll stick around through practically anything.  And like I said, there has been worse in Canes history which I guess is why these first few games aren't bothering me the way it bothers some people.  Everyone loves a winner.

And management needs to do something.  I agree with that, too.  I'd love to see Rutherford kicked to the curb, but I know not everyone agrees with that stance.  We need some young guns to shake things up, and I personally think it is time we strip Brindy of his C.  We could leave the C spot vacant until a leader emerges, or rotate it around each month to the player who has shown the best leadership qualities.  Line changes are a must, but I feel like no one is playing consistantly enough for me to really know who to put with who.  I think our biggest problem is the fact that we aren't building the team the way we said we were going to do with new, able players.  Our guys are older, and it is showing.  Nothing wrong with seniority, but having some young'ns might help eventually.  Long term, and all.  What do you think of that?  Other than dumping Mo, which I have noted is one of your opinions, what are your suggestions?

Other than dumping Mo, which I have noted is one of your opinions, what are your suggestions?

Tough it out and wait for Cole, Rutuu, and Gleason to come back?

PLEASE don't make me watch college b-ball.....ugggggg.

CanesGrrrl wrote:

Give it rest.  No one really cares about who the "true" fans are.  Any fan who pays their hard earned money to go watch a game, deserves better. This town deserves better than Paul Maurice who could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Yeah, I can't agree with that.  And paying fans do deserve better.  I agree.  However, some people go for the love of the game itself and not just to watching their local team win.  And if not Mo, then who?  Who would we bring in?  Surely not Lavi who couldn't get this team under control the past few seasons.  I like Mo, but I'm open to suggestions.  I'm not being facetious; I truly want to know who you think would be a good replacement and why.  I think it is getting harder and harder to find a solid coach who will get their team to produce and make it to the top all the time.  I'd love it if we could nab one, though. smile.gif

You are allowed your opinion, and I'm allowed mine even if it goes against the consensus.  I'm not going to "give it a rest" just because someone disagrees with me.

We need Gleason, Cole and Rutuu back. We need to go back to positions the guys are used to---they looked confused out there tonight, centers playing wings etc.  BUT THED DID TAKE FEWER PENALTIES.  Scored twice on the PP.   Defense was not solid and Cam wasn't at his best. He plays better when games are closer together,  it seems.    

I am a canes fan win or lose, however.  I believe they will get it together----maybe not even in the next two games. (Phi & SJS are tough.)

But I agree------PK, JR and MO are the ones who will push the panic button, if they do. We are just the fans. Hockey is an exciting game for me to watch, so it is worth my money. I also shell out for center ice, b/c I watch as many other teams as I can, too. I would rather the team have a breakdown early and get it together and push forward for the rest of the season.

Don't forget, the Canes came into this season with the disadvantage of our very inflated expectations because of their great playoff run !!

Other than dumping Mo, which I have noted is one of your opinions, what are your suggestions?

Tough it out and wait for Cole, Rutuu, and Gleason to come back?

PLEASE don't make me watch college b-ball.....ugggggg.

I'm hoping that their return will add a spark to the team.  I'm just not going to set that as an expectation because Lord knows the Canes aren't good with those!  Haha.  Tell them that they are going to be great and they fall into a funk.  Tell them that they suck and are going to be last place?  A CUP!  But, yeah.  Overall, we need more offense.  Without trades, I don't know how that is going to happen unless the guys get it in gear.  And considering that JR doesn't put out the big bucks that often, trades would be useless unless he decided that now was one of those times to buy out for a confirmed scorer...or two.  smile.gif

CanesGrrrl wrote:

Exactly. This kind of play has been going on for years now! I think were all tired of it! I payed to watch that dismal display tonite and left feeling empty, and worst of all... BROKE!

[quote name='shauniac79 wrote:

old-time-hockey-2']
CanesGrrrl wrote:

Exactly. This kind of play has been going on for years now! I think were all tired of it! I payed to watch that dismal display tonite and left feeling empty, and worst of all... BROKE!

I think I leave every game feeling broke, win or lose!  Haha!  But at least a win will keep you from feeling empty.  Hopefully the guys will come around so we can ALL enjoy some wins, no matter what our opinions about everything else is.  Everyone can agree on wins!  smile.gif

[quote name='smile.gifCanesGrrrl wrote:

shauniac79 wrote:

old-time-hockey-2']

I think I leave every game feeling broke, win or lose!  Haha!  But at least a win will keep you from feeling empty.  Hopefully the guys will come around so we can ALL enjoy some wins, no matter what our opinions about everything else is.  Everyone can agree on wins!  smile.gif

A win, any win, would suffice at this point! Thanks for being so positive about things CanesGrrl!!smile.gif

[quote name='shauniac79 wrote:

smile.gif

CanesGrrrl wrote:

shauniac79']Exactly. This kind of play has been going on for years now! I think were all tired of it! I payed to watch that dismal display tonite and left feeling empty, and worst of all... BROKE!

I think I leave every game feeling broke, win or lose!  Haha!  But at least a win will keep you from feeling empty.  Hopefully the guys will come around so we can ALL enjoy some wins, no matter what our opinions about everything else is.  Everyone can agree on wins! 
smile.gif

A win, any win, would suffice at this point! Thanks for being so positive about things CanesGrrl!!smile.gif

Have to agree.  Even as optimistic as I try to be, as a season ticket holder it would be nice to see a win!  Or, you know, LOTS of wins!  They can do it.  They just need to be confident that they can do it!

And, thanks!  I know everyone is upset and frustrated.  Completely valid.  I'm just trying to throw an upbeat, non-panicked voice into the mix!  I don't like fighting with anyone because at the end of the day, we are all Canes fans and we just want them to play the best they can.  Even if that didn't earn us a cup, we'd still be happy with the effort.  Right now we aren't seeing effort, so it is only normal people will be upset.  So, thank you for being level headed and even keel about this, as well!  It is what makes the boards a fun place for all of us Caniacs!

I haven't pushed the button yet, but I've put my drink down to give it some serious thought. Another loss like tonight's, and the button will be pressed. One just cannot watch the team not fix itself and keep losing without questioning things. The terrible start can still be turned around, but a few more losses will kill any confidence left which would be needed to change things over.

Oye, every time we make the playoffs this is what happens the next season. Maurice must be thinking about 02-03...just has to be creeping in to his mind.

I'm a STH...first time for that this year.  I could use a win, like this Sunday.  I'll be there...cheering, win or lose.  Go Canes!  I am an eternal optimist, but I'm befuddled by some of the things this organization did after the cup win in 06.  Hockey is a fast game...youth is king.  Make room for the new talent, and use them.  You don't see the top teams sitting their top picks in the AHL for 2 years.  Long term deals with over 30 players and NTCs are team killers.  I know JR now knows that, but it'll take a few years to repair that damage......apparently.  You get a great goalie, and build the team around the goalie.... (worked for Jersey with Brodeur, worked in Pittsburgh with Barrasso) We have a great goalie, we have some great players...but we also have an abundance of older/washed up players. 

I hate to make this analogy, due to our 'redneck monikers', however, in the interst of a similar comparison:  In the last few years of Dale Earnhardt's career, he was nothing but traffic.  He was washed up, didn't have the fire, and couldn't make it happen.  We have a few of those players on our team.  That doesn't mean that they weren't the greatest players at one time, but it means that they are lacking that fire/spunk now.  Their contracts and the money they are holding up are the bain of our current dismal existence.  Batons need to be passed, and the fact that the baton hasn't been passed is affecting our team morale.  PASS THE BATON.  Step up and be a leader.

That is my panic button, that one issue, and if I were in a position of authority, I would have made that happen tonight in the locker room.  I don't think Mo needs to be fired, I don't think you sit our whole team and pull up the Rats, and I certainly don't think that playing Leights every other game is the answer.  We have a solid defensive core (when Gleason comes back), we have a solid starting goalie, we have a couple of great offensemen. We need to build upon that with more offensive support, and that will require inspirational, scoring, checking, and pugilistic leadership. 

I'm a STH...first time for that this year.  I could use a win, like this Sunday.  I'll be there...cheering, win or lose.  Go Canes!  I am an eternal optimist, but I'm befuddled by some of the things this organization did after the cup win in 06.  Hockey is a fast game...youth is king.  Make room for the new talent, and use them.  You don't see the top teams sitting their top picks in the AHL for 2 years.  Long term deals with over 30 players and NTCs are team killers.  I know JR now knows that, but it'll take a few years to repair that damage......apparently.  You get a great goalie, and build the team around the goalie.... (worked for Jersey with Brodeur, worked in Pittsburgh with Barrasso) We have a great goalie, we have some great players...but we also have an abundance of older/washed up players. 

I hate to make this analogy, due to our 'redneck monikers', however, in the interst of a similar comparison:  In the last few years of Dale Earnhardt's career, he was nothing but traffic.  He was washed up, didn't have the fire, and couldn't make it happen.  We have a few of those players on our team.  That doesn't mean that they weren't the greatest players at one time, but it means that they are lacking that fire/spunk now.  Their contracts and the money they are holding up are the bain of our current dismal existence.  Batons need to be passed, and the fact that the baton hasn't been passed is affecting our team morale.  PASS THE BATON.  Step up and be a leader.

That is my panic button, that one issue, and if I were in a position of authority, I would have made that happen tonight in the locker room.  I don't think Mo needs to be fired, I don't think you sit our whole team and pull up the Rats, and I certainly don't think that playing Leights every other game is the answer.  We have a solid defensive core (when Gleason comes back), we have a solid starting goalie, we have a couple of great offensemen. We need to build upon that with more offensive support, and that will require inspirational, scoring, checking, and pugilistic leadership. 

Now see, that would be an identity to build off of! lol

fpsndiver wrote:

I agree. Keep in mind that Mo helped turn this team around last season and they made a great run and the end of the season.  They don't need to pull up Rats all at once but throwing a couple into the mix every now and again could help with adding speed and youth to the team.  As for Leights, they do not have to play him every other game but they do need to let him get some time in net.  Riding the pine is not going to help him if we need a back up goalie if Cam gets injured or needs a break (like he does now).  Hopefully getting Cole, Ruutu and Gleason back will help.

I know the season is still early but waiting too long to start to fix the problem could hurt in the long run.  Until then GO CANES!!! I will still watch, listen and go to the games (that i can afford to go to).  We all just want to see our boys win and I don't think anyone really wants to jump ship.

fpsndiver wrote:

I agree. Keep in mind that Mo helped turn this team around last season and they made a great run and the end of the season.  They don't need to pull up Rats all at once but throwing a couple into the mix every now and again could help with adding speed and youth to the team.  As for Leights, they do not have to play him every other game but they do need to let him get some time in net.  Riding the pine is not going to help him if we need a back up goalie if Cam gets injured or needs a break (like he does now).  Hopefully getting Cole, Ruutu and Gleason back will help.

I know the season is still early but waiting too long to start to fix the problem could hurt in the long run.  Until then GO CANES!!! I will still watch, listen and go to the games (that i can afford to go to).  We all just want to see our boys win and I don't think anyone really wants to jump ship.

you are giving Mo way to much credit for last season.  We had a good team, one that could score in bunches so all he did was add a few defensive tweaks.  This season it is "Back to the Mo" which as history dictates gets us what we see here!!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18']
fpsndiver wrote:

I agree. Keep in mind that Mo helped turn this team around last season and they made a great run and the end of the season.  They don't need to pull up Rats all at once but throwing a couple into the mix every now and again could help with adding speed and youth to the team.  As for Leights, they do not have to play him every other game but they do need to let him get
some time
in net.  Riding the pine is not going to help him if we need a back up goalie if Cam gets injured or needs a break (like he does now).  Hopefully getting Cole, Ruutu and Gleason back will help.

you are giving Mo way to much credit for last season.  We had a good team, one that could score in bunches so all he did was add a few defensive tweaks.  This season it is "Back to the Mo" which as history dictates gets us what we see here!!

Right, I am not trying to say that it was all about Mo last season.  I think that he definitely helped getting the team turned around.  But I cannot just blame him for the way the team is playing right now.  It is a team effort and the team is just not clicking.

[quote name='Evenstrength18 wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18']

I agree. Keep in mind that Mo helped turn this team around last season and they made a great run and the end of the season.  They don't need to pull up Rats all at once but throwing a couple into the mix every now and again could help with adding speed and youth to the team.  As for Leights, they do not have to play him every other game but they do need to let him get
some time
in net.  Riding the pine is not going to help him if we need a back up goalie if Cam gets injured or needs a break (like he does now).  Hopefully getting Cole, Ruutu and Gleason back will help.

Right, I am not trying to say that it was all about Mo last season.  I think that he definitely helped getting the team turned around.  But I cannot just blame him for the way the team is playing right now.  It is a team effort and the team is just not clicking.

agreed but I saw this exact same "song and dance" in '02 and'03!!  The results were finishing dead last and losing the draft pick lotto!!  It all begins with the coach, you can't fire an entire team!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18 wrote:

caniac-97']you are giving Mo way to much credit for last season.  We had a good team, one that could score in bunches so all he did was add a few defensive tweaks.  This season it is "Back to the Mo" which as history dictates gets us what we see here!!

agreed but I saw this exact same "song and dance" in '02 and'03!!  The results were finishing dead last and losing the draft pick lotto!!  It all begins with the coach, you can't fire an entire team!

I didn't mean fire the whole team.  But I can't see the answer to all our problems being solved by rushing off and firing the coach.  I could be wrong though.

[quote name='Evenstrength18 wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18']

I didn't mean fire the whole team.  But I can't see the answer to all our problems being solved by rushing off and firing the coach.  I could be wrong though.

yep, but in the scheme of things you really can't dump the entire team you have.  May be able to get away with trading a player here or a player there which is why hockey teams seem to frequently change coaches.  But before you do that you have to look at who is out there to replace him.  I really don't think Francis is ready or will be any time soon.  Still haven't figured out how McCarthy has dodged the bullet.  Bottom line is we need a major shakeup and given that trading Staal/Cam is out of the question then it means either someone like Brindy or look at the coaching staff.  Maybe they need to pass around whatever dancing granny is drinking, she seems to have more energy then the boys do.

[quote name='laugh.giflaugh.gifcaniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18 wrote:

caniac-97']agreed but I saw this exact same "song and dance" in '02 and'03!!  The results were finishing dead last and losing the draft pick lotto!!  It all begins with the coach, you can't fire an entire team!

yep, but in the scheme of things you really can't dump the entire team you have.  May be able to get away with trading a player here or a player there which is why hockey teams seem to frequently change coaches.  But before you do that you have to look at who is out there to replace him.  I really don't think Francis is ready or will be any time soon.  Still haven't figured out how McCarthy has dodged the bullet.  Bottom line is we need a major shakeup and given that trading Staal/Cam is out of the question then it means either someone like Brindy or look at the coaching staff.  Maybe they need to pass around whatever dancing granny is drinking, she seems to have more energy then the boys do.

LOL!! I could see her as the teams new Captin.  Someone get her some pads, skates and a stick.