The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

PANIC BUTTON??

Maybe they need to pass around whatever dancing granny is drinking, she seems to have more energy then the boys do.

On that note, it was good to see Dancin' Granny at the game.  She looked good in her Halloween finest.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

Evenstrength18 wrote:

caniac-97']you are giving Mo way to much credit for last season.  We had a good team, one that could score in bunches so all he did was add a few defensive tweaks.  This season it is "Back to the Mo" which as history dictates gets us what we see here!!

Right, I am not trying to say that it was all about Mo last season.  I think that he definitely helped getting the team turned around.  But I cannot just blame him for the way the team is playing right now.  It is a team effort and the team is just not clicking.

agreed but I saw this exact same "song and dance" in '02 and'03!!  The results were finishing dead last and losing the draft pick lotto!!  It all begins with the coach, you can't fire an entire team!

I suppose JR could put the entire team on waivers.eek.gif

I'm with fpsndiver on this one. It's very difficult to judge team leadership, especially this team's, as Brindy is not a publicly outspoken person. I have to wonder if the team is not listening, or he isn't speaking up. He certainly has better ground to stand on this year than last. It is clear that somebody needs to step it up in the locker room. And yes, the old timer and NTC contracts are hurting us and will continue to hurt to some extent until they are done.

I can't pin this on the coach - yet. Lest we forget, this is the same team that many picked for success this year. It wasn't just the fans that thought this was an improved team from the one that made it to the conference finals.

That said, we need to pick it up in November, or we're toast. These next 5 games are going to be very telling. As Tripp likes to say, "It's all about character." Well, time to show us the character of this team.

Hm, at this point, I want to jump in...

I still don't get where our team has "improved" from the 09 Playoffs, I never got it. We gave up our top scoring defenseman (Babchuk) and another heavily improved and shot blocking Beast D (Seidenberg) and replaced them with old and slow veterans (Ward, Alberts).

We're still with the same top 9 forwards as last season, and they're disappointing as well as they were through the last season. Yet we got another bunch of hard working 4th liners (Yelle, Kostopulous), just like Bayda, Ryan, Conboy. Let's be serious: Right now, we got 2-3 top 6 forwards, not to even think about a reliable playmaker.

I don't see improvement, I don't even see any of our last season's problems adressed. Our actual performance is no more or less than what we deserve. Our promising prospects are hanging dry within the minors since years now, and instead of giving them a shot, we 're filling our roster with worn out blue color veterans and call it "depth"

Right now I'm really disappointed of what's goin on... sad.gif

If we somehow manage to meet expectations this year I would be (pleasantly) surprised... its going to be hard to go from having the worst statistics in just about every category to some of the best. At least it will be interesting to see what JR can do.

If we somehow manage to meet expectations this year I would be (pleasantly) surprised... its going to be hard to go from having the worst statistics in just about every category to some of the best. At least it will be interesting to see what JR can do.

Those are definitely some challenging stats to work with.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97']

Those are definitely some challenging stats to work with.

you are thinking '01-'02, I was referring to '02-'03.

caniac-97 wrote:

Nope, in 02 I remember playing the Red Wings in the finals.  wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97']

I was there, the season that followed we tanked under current leadership. and stayed like that for two seasons.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

TSA wrote:

caniac-97']

Nope, in 02 I remember playing the Red Wings in the finals. 
wink.gif

I was there, the season that followed we tanked under current leadership. and stayed like that for two seasons.

Then I guess you were thinking about 03 and 04.  wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97']

We played Detroit in the finals in '02 but it was the 01-02 season....  We did not make the playoffs in the 02-03 season wink.gif

Records for the 2 seasons -

01-02 -> 35-26-16-5

02-03 -> 22–43–11  

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

TSA']

Nope, in 02 I remember playing the Red Wings in the finals. 
wink.gif

Then I guess you were thinking about 03 and 04.  wink.gif

i will type this slowly.  The '02 season started in October of 2002 and ended in April of 2003, the '03 season started in October of 2003 and ended in April of 2004.  Both seasons were horrible and under Mo's careful tutelage.  Hope this clears it up for you.

The SCF's started in June of '02.

I don't really know what panic looks like. We don't have anyone who is playing well enough at the moment that we'd get someone decent in a trade. That means I think we need to figure out how to play with what we have.

Part of that includes getting Gleason, Ruutu and Cole back.

I'd shake things up like this.

Brind'amour - Staal - Samsonov -- I like the idea of Rod re-inventing himself on the wing. I think it saves his legs. I think it puts him on the ice for key faceoff wins alongside our only proven scorer. Rod's not a 30 goal scorer any longer, but he can be a playmaker still for Staal. I put Samsonov here because he's got good chemistry with Rod, but when Cole comes back I think I move Sammy off this line and go with with Brind'amour - Staal - Cole. Cole can be the banger that Sammy isn't.

Jokinen - Sutter - Ruutu -- again, this is a 2nd line with two centers on it, so there can be some swapping between Sutter and Jokinen. I put Jokinen here because he's one of the few guys whom I think it putting his all on the ice at the moment. With Ruutu banging bodies on this line I think we can see something free up. I like keeping Sutter at this level instead of sending him back to Albany. We need some youth.

Whitney - Cullen - LaRose -- Let's face it; LaRose is in a funk. And Cullen, while he's playing hard, isn't making the plays. He had the Wild game on his stick with less than 5 minutes left, in front of his family and friends, and couldn't finish. Bummer. Whitney is playing well, so put this line out there as the "speedy" line and see if they can get it done. It also means fewer minutes, which helps Whitney later into the season and keeps those in a funk off the ice (until they're out of their funk).

K-stop - Yelle - Walker -- I think Scotty is wasted on the upper lines. He's a 4th liner. I liked him with the Rats in the past. I wish they had stuck with that mantra a bit more this year rather than bring in Yelle. Personally I think they should ship Yelle to Albany and get Ryan or Dwyer in here alongside K-Stop and Walker. And send Conboy back to Albany; we seem to be more interested in fighting than scoring. I thought fights were supposed to fire up your team? After two lackluster bouts last night vs. STL we gave up 3 goals in the 1st period. Can we get back to playing hockey instead of sending Conboy out there to pick a fight that does nothing for getting the juices flowing? I think a goal would do that better than a fight at this point.

Where does that leave Samsonov when Cole comes back? I think we should trade him. Not sure what we get in return, but he's too much talk (dance) and not enough action, quite frankly.

On the D side, we desperately need Gleason back. He's out best stay-at-home D-man. I think it was a mistake to bring A Ward back; please don't let JR go out and grab another 35+ defenseman. We need young guys, big guys, who can skate and hit. We don't need more offensive defensemen or old guys.

Can we close this thread and ban the phrase panic button, I believe it to be a mythological button and when pushed nothing will result. just a request. I think a better idea would be to get about 1000 of us to go to a practice, and stand along the ice and chant score more goals, or win some games for the entire practice to show what heart and dedication is like. Maybe then we'll win.

I would just like to see "a" young face on our team. I spent more time looking at NHL prospects this Summer then anything else. One of the reasons why is because the 2009 NHL Draft had some good faces. Evander Kane in Atlanta is 18, has 3 goals, and 2 assist with a +3 rating[with a nice goal on Brodeur]. I know Colorado is liking O'Reilly, and Matt Duchene. As far as offensive power at the blue line goes Michael Del Zetto is surely turning heads in NY.

Of course you have to say, "can we risk the mistakes"? But anyway, I am glad Brandon Sutter was called up; that locker room was getting kind of old.

I would just like to see "a" young face on our team. I spent more time looking at NHL prospects this Summer then anything else. One of the reasons why is because the 2009 NHL Draft had some good faces. Evander Kane in Atlanta is 18, has 3 goals, and 2 assist with a +3 rating[with a nice goal on Brodeur]. I know Colorado is liking O'Reilly, and Matt Duchene. As far as offensive power at the blue line goes Michael Del Zetto is surely turning heads in NY.

Of course you have to say, "can we risk the mistakes"? But anyway, I am glad Brandon Sutter was called up; that locker room was getting kind of old.

Add Tyler Meyers to your list for Buffalo.  He's been huge for them (no pun intended) and today they announced he was staying with the big club.

Welcome smile.gif

Can we close this thread and ban the phrase panic button, I believe it to be a mythological button and when pushed nothing will result. just a request. I think a better idea would be to get about 1000 of us to go to a practice, and stand along the ice and chant score more goals, or win some games for the entire practice to show what heart and dedication is like. Maybe then we'll win.

Now there is something that would shock the hockey world ... and get you on ESPN.

Maybe you ought to try this thread:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15717?page=-1

Personally I think that there are many, many different ways to fix the problems plaguing this team right now, and each one is as viable as the next. Arguing over which one is the best way to do it is a moot point until the team puts the plan into action, and it is proven as a lame duck method.

that being said, i present my two ideas to fix the team;

1. Pick line combinations! You dont build chemistry if you change the lines every other shift. Just pick some, then stick with them, even if at first they are terrible. Players do not warm up to new linemates in only 2 games flat. So i would pick some lines, and stick with them until it becomes obvious that they will not work. Please note- I am not advocating staying with lines that simply fail. But i cannot see the benefit of liines being changed several times a game.

2. Take the team, and have them do...something! I dont care what. it can be lazer tag. It can be min golf. it can be mountain climbing. Just get the team together outside of practice. As a result, they WILL become closer as teammates, whether they want to or not, and this is only a benefit at the moment.

Personally I think that there are many, many different ways to fix the problems plaguing this team right now, and each one is as viable as the next. Arguing over which one is the best way to do it is a moot point until the team puts the plan into action, and it is proven as a lame duck method.

1. Pick line combinations! You dont build chemistry if you change the lines every other shift. Just pick some, then stick with them, even if at first they are terrible. Players do not warm up to new linemates in only 2 games flat. So i would pick some lines, and stick with them until it becomes obvious that they will not work. Please note- I am not advocating staying with lines that simply fail. But i cannot see the benefit of liines being changed several times a game.

2. Take the team, and have them do...something! I dont care what. it can be lazer tag. It can be min golf. it can be mountain climbing. Just get the team together outside of practice. As a result, they WILL become closer as teammates, whether they want to or not, and this is only a benefit at the moment.

Is your real name Peter Laviolette?wink.gifwink.gif

[quote name='hockeybaby wrote:

ebhughes']Personally I think that there are many, many different ways to fix the problems plaguing this team right now, and each one is as viable as the next. Arguing over which one is the best way to do it is a moot point until the team puts the plan into action, and it is proven as a lame duck method.

Is your real name Peter Laviolette?wink.gifwink.gif

to be fair.. i really got into the canes during Dec. 2008, at or around when they fired laviolette.

So basically, i dont know enough of his system to see the comparison of my ideas with his. ive heard snippets (ie lotsa scoring, no defense)

Could you fill me in?

Also, does any1 know what signs the team and JR will exhibet WHEN THEY hit the panic button? cause this is all a moot point if we cant tell that they hit it themselves.

to be fair.. i really got into the canes during Dec. 2008, at or around when they fired laviolette.

So basically, i dont know enough of his system to see the comparison of my ideas with his. ive heard snippets (ie lotsa scoring, no defense)

Could you fill me in?

Also, does any1 know what signs the team and JR will exhibet WHEN THEY hit the panic button? cause this is all a moot point if we cant tell that they hit it themselves.

You'll see a press release about a trade or a player being put on waivers.  We've already seen the player put on waivers so be looking out for a press release about a trade next if in fact JR has reached that point.  

Come on make me feel depressed,,,please,,,I am a panic button you know?...Stop shaking and go ahead and push me,,,you can do it

Come on make me feel depressed,,,please,,,I am a panic button you know?...Stop shaking and go ahead and push me,,,you can do it
You are officially mashed now.  Hit that button and the ejector button for a few.  Rat time.