The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Ruutu suspended for 3 games/Sutter called up from Albany

well, I guess we knew that Ruutu was going to get suspended, and while I don't like hits from behind or seeing other players seriously injured, I don't think Tuomo meant it. How many times in a game is one player along the wall with the puck and other players go banging in there to try to get it out?

A three day suspension is probable fair.  The hit was a little late and the potential for a very serious injury was there.    It is really tough at full speed to  pull up once Ruutu committed to the hit.  At least Tucker is expected to be alright.

For those wanting to see a Rat in the lineup I guess we will get our chance. Will the Juice move back to wing and Sutter center that line?

I think 3 games is too much, 1 game understandable. Ruutu is not a repeat offender by any means. Earlier this week both Ovechkin and Evgeny Artyukhin slew footed guys, Artyuhkin got a 3 game suspension as a repeat offender and Ovie got a fine. There is absolutely a player bias out there that needs to change or the NHL will be seen as more of a joke than ever when it comes to discipline. Set a punishment and apply it across the board.

I think 3 games is too much, 1 game understandable. Ruutu is not a repeat offender by any means. Earlier this week both Ovechkin and Evgeny Artyukhin slew footed guys, Artyuhkin got a 3 game suspension as a repeat offender and Ovie got a fine. There is absolutely a player bias out there that needs to change or the NHL will be seen as more of a joke than ever when it comes to discipline. Set a punishment and apply it across the board.

Bada Bing!!! 

I figured somewhere between 1-3 games.  That is fair, but I don't think Ruutu made the hit with malevolence.  I look forward to seeing Sutter.  I don't think his play in Albany right now is indicative of his abilities.......he shouldn't have been sent up again...he should be on our roster, and him and his family know it. 

i dont think a suspension is warranted. It looked like any other hit, Tucker just wasnt ready for it. At most it warranted a 2 min penalty. ther was no maliciousness or intent to injur. Read the wording of the rule, intent to injur or maliciousness. this was just a mistimed check. ruutu didnt try and put him through the 3rd row of seats, he was just finishing his check.

Intent to injure is for a match penalty, not applicable here. The measure is "degree of violence". See below (emphasis added):

Boarding
– A boarding penalty shall be imposed on anyplayer or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner thatcauses the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severityof the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact withthe boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the applicationof this rule by the Referees.
The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper)applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerableposition and if so, he must avoid the contact.
However, there is also aresponsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself ina dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered bythe Referees when applying this rule.

Minor Penalty
– The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a
, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of boarding an opponent.

Major Penalty
, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of boarding an opponent (see
).

Match Penalty
if, in his judgment, the player or goalkeeper attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by boarding.

Game Misconduct Penalty
-
When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a
shall be imposed.

Fines and Suspensions
- Any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule
and/or
,in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automaticallyfor the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconductpenalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to
).

I thought it would be 1 game, maybe 2. 3 seems a bit much, but they always like to send messages early in the season.

Did anyone catch this line from Foote, from NHL.com:

"Ruutu's got a history," said Foote, the Avs' captain. "He hits late,he hits from behind. So I felt like it was probably dirty if your guyis laying there."

Is this just his excuse for the roughing? Or is he confusing the Ruutu brothers? I don't think Tuomo has a history like that.

Chip has updated his blog since TSA posted the original. Here's the link:

Ruutu suspended three games (updated)

It now includes the following comments from Paul Maurice (sorry I don't know how to embed it in a quote box):

"We're disappointed that we're going to lose an important player for three games," Maurice said today. "The league has a process, they have to go through it. We respect their decision.

"And, nobody ever likes to see a player get injured. We hope the best for Darcy Tucker and hope he has a speedy recovery."

Asked if he believed the hit warrented a suspension, Maurice said: "That's an excellent question. I think the league makes its decision and we all abide by it, regardless of our opinion.

"There were things not present in the hit that I'm glad weren't: he didn't leave his feet, it wasn't an elbow, Darcy wasn't four feet off the boards where it could have been a real catastrophic event. He was right on the boards.

"It was a very, very hard hit that had an unfortunate result. But I expect Tuomo to finish that check."

Did anyone catch this line from Foote, from NHL.com:

"Ruutu's got a history," said Foote, the Avs' captain. "He hits late,he hits from behind. So I felt like it was probably dirty if your guyis laying there."

Is this just his excuse for the roughing? Or is he confusing the Ruutu brothers? I don't think Tuomo has a history like that.

His brother is a worse offender, but Ruutu does have a history of dirty plays.  A lot came from when he first entered the league, but then there are situations like this one where he shows he's not the cleanest player out there.  Heck, I remember last year, Ruutu blatantly left his feet to launch himself at a Rangers player.

3 games is about right.  It wasn't an intent to injure, but players are taught from the squirts not to hit a player when their number is facing you.  And as much as I dislike Tucker, his back was to Ruutu the entire time.  Ruutu should have let up.  No excuses.  Given Ruutu's history and the injury to Tucker, 3 games is fair.

Chip has updated his blog since TSA posted the original. Here's the link:

Ruutu suspended three games (updated)

It now includes the following comments from Paul Maurice (sorry I don't know how to embed it in a quote box):

"We're disappointed that we're going to lose an important player for three games," Maurice said today. "The league has a process, they have to go through it. We respect their decision.

"And, nobody ever likes to see a player get injured. We hope the best for Darcy Tucker and hope he has a speedy recovery."

Asked if he believed the hit warrented a suspension, Maurice said: "That's an excellent question. I think the league makes its decision and we all abide by it, regardless of our opinion.

"There were things not present in the hit that I'm glad weren't: he didn't leave his feet, it wasn't an elbow, Darcy wasn't four feet off the boards where it could have been a real catastrophic event. He was right on the boards.

"It was a very, very hard hit that had an unfortunate result. But I expect Tuomo to finish that check."

Thanks for the update.  Nice to see the coach stand behind the player and make his opinions known without being disrespectful to the league or the injured player.  I'm sure Ruutu is remorseful and genuinely concerned about Tucker's health but I also think that Maurice sending a message to his players that he has their back if they put out the effort asked of them will go a long way in the locker room for building trust and confidence.  The Mo haters probably wont agree but Maurice is very intelligent and learned lots of good communication lessons while in Toronto.

On a side note, I'm pretty impressed with the Avs fans and how they're reacting to this.  They're obviously angry and concerned for Tucker but many also acknowledge that Tuomo Ruutu isn't a malicious player with a history of head hunting.  I don't think anyone has denied that the hit wasn't a bad one but its nice to see when fans from either side can see this as an isolated incident.   He can be a little over zealous with his physical play at times but he's really come a long way with controlling his big hits and his style of play is what makes him so popular with his team mates and endears him to the fans.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about Darcy Tucker but he is not exactly Mr. Clean himself. He has a history of making "questionable" hits on opposing players when he was with the Maple Leafs, long before Mo was the coach there.

The question I got is, when has Tuomo incurred two previous game misconducts this season, which by the way is only 10 or so games into the season? The NHL penaltized Tuomo for 2, imo, "phantom" game misconducts this season. I did read that rule on suspension correct, a player gets 1 game suspension if he occurs 2 game misconducts. So if my calculation is correct, Tuomo would have to have had 4 game misconducts to get this 3 game suspension. 10 games into the season, I find that highly unlikely.

NHL needs to rethink this and the NHLPA needs to step in and come to Tuomo's defense on this one.

A very, very hard hit??? Skates never left the ice and he sure wasn't going that fast. Tucker's face/neck was just at a bad angle.

And it wasn't late. He finished a check. Puck had just left. Foote - check your rule book.

Yes - Rutuu should not of done that - but come on. Rutuu is being used as an example.

So did the NHL lay out some fines for POOR officiating too? Or did they turn a blind eye to that?

His brother is a worse offender, but Ruutu does have a history of dirty plays. 

Has he ever been punished for one with a fine or suspension since entering the NHL?  Is that based on your opinion or are there documented incidences?  Not trying to call you on this but I really can't recall any, I might have missed something.

Mr. Tucker is definitely not Mr. Clean by any stretch of the imagination. Just go to YouTube.com, type in Darcy Tucker and you will find numerous videos of Tucker and his cheap shots, even set to music on other players when he was with the Leafs.

I don't think, correct me if he was even suspended for any of them. He even check one guy into the boards after he had already been check once and was going down to the ice. The guy's knees were on the ice and his head was probably no more than a foot or so off the ice when Tucker made the hit.

I looked at the video of Tuomo's hit, against set to music, Tucker had just got rid of the puck and turned his back to Tuomo. I am with TSA on this one, I don't think Tuomo has ever been suspended or fined for them.

Time for the NHL to do what the SEC and MLB are doing, take a second look at the officiating, if they aren't doing the job, suspend or remove them from the rotation. NHL needs to review each game to see how the refs do and if they made critical errors.

It's not about whether or not Tucker is a dirty player.  He was in a vulnerable position and Ruutu boarded him.  We can't look at this through Canes colored glasses and defend our guy.  Cole's neck was broken in a similar incident and we were ready to crucify Orpik.  No matter what the league has done in the past, I think they are right in this case.  I'd like to see them do the same for head shots.

I don't think Ruutu did anything with malice.  I just think his switch got flipped (like Walker's did in the Boston series with A. Ward) and there was no stopping him.  He likes to hit and we like him to hit.  A physical player is going to walk the fine line between clean and dirty.  I don't think this was a dirty hit, but with the severity of Tucker's injury, they had no choice.  If he gets up and a brawl ensues, Ruutu probably gets a game, maybe.

i dont think a suspension is warranted. It looked like any other hit, Tucker just wasnt ready for it. At most it warranted a 2 min penalty. ther was no maliciousness or intent to injur. Read the wording of the rule, intent to injur or maliciousness. this was just a mistimed check. ruutu didnt try and put him through the 3rd row of seats, he was just finishing his check.

Agree, you can see the same hit a dozen times a week with no call and it didn't look that bad --- until Tucker bounced on the ice and didn't move.

It's an automatic major though and a game misconduct because the "foul resulted in an injury to the face or head of an opponent." Rule 44 (B)

I know that in many respects Sutter is the most NHL ready of the minor leaguers and the team wants it to be clear that he is NHL ready, but we have lost another scoring winger and replaced him with a non-scoring center. I think the organization pretty much had to make Sutter the first guy called up, but I would have liked to have seen Boychuk.

Update on Tucker from the Denver Post and an interesting view on Ruutu's responsibilty.  I said it before and I'll say it again, Im very impressed with the way the Av's fans and media folks have handled this so subjectively.  Got this link from an Av's fan.  Glad to hear Tucker is doing much better.

Full Article 

As I just updated in a previous blog, it seems like Darcy Tucker escaped potentially catastrophic injury tonight. After being taken from the ice on a stretcher from Tuomo Ruutu’s hit from behind, eyewitnesses said later tonight that Tucker walked out of the Pepsi Center. He was on his way to the hospital for further tests, but Avs personnel told me Tucker appears to have “escaped” with a concussion and stitches to the head.

How bad the concussion is, we still don’t know. But any initial fears about paralysis or anything close appear to be unfounded. I’ll admit, those thoughts first went through my head when I saw Tucker after the hit, motionless on the ice and not moving on the stretcher when he was taken off.

Fortunately, I’ve never witnessed a player become that seriously hurt in nearly 15 years of covering the NHL, but you know it can always happen. It’s a scary game sometimes. Those guys are moving so fast out there. I’m sure all serious hockey fans have seen a game from fairly up close before, but if you haven’t, you have no idea until you do just how incredibly fast those guys are going and just how split-second everything is.

That’s why, as bad as Ruutu’s hit seemed tonight – and guaranteed he’ll get a suspension for it, probably at minimum 3-5 games – I’m not sure it rose to “totally dirty” level. Ruutu was trying to finish a check. Granted, to a guy with his back turned, but things happen fast out there. I don’t think any player goes into a game thinking, ‘Hey, I want to get my butt suspended tonight with a real dirty hit. I want my reputation sullied, my paycheck withheld and my team at a disadvantage because of it too.”

It was a hard hit, a suspension-worthy hit probably, but I don’t think it’s something that we should all totally villify him for. It happened fast. Tucker’s head hit the glass in an unfortunate way and he got hurt. Let’s hope it turns out OK.

Time for the NHL to do what the SEC and MLB are doing, take a second look at the officiating, if they aren't doing the job, suspend or remove them from the rotation. NHL needs to review each game to see how the refs do and if they made critical errors.
What errors? Read the last line from the rulebook quote I posted: "If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion"

That's where the suspension comes from.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

IceFrog999']

His brother is a worse offender, but Ruutu does have a history of dirty plays. 

Has he ever been punished for one with a fine or suspension since entering the NHL?  Is that based on your opinion or are there documented incidences?  Not trying to call you on this but I really can't recall any, I might have missed something.

In the NHL?  Not to my knowledge.  I believe he may have been suspended a game or two while playing for Finland internationally, but again, that's just off memory.  

That one, in particular, I believe he may have caught some heat for. 

Though, just because the NHL doesn't choose to fine or suspend a player doesn't mean he isn't on their radar.  With some of the hits Ruutu's laid out, you don't think a coach or GM of the opposing team isn't going to send the tapes to the league to get them evaluated?

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if that one was evaluated.

And Ruutu's admitted his past isn't squeaky clean.  I believe it was either early this year, Tripp had one of his bench interviews with Ruutu, and his past came up.  Ruutu looked really uncomfortable discussing it, but pretty much said he was a little more reckless when he came into the league than he is now.  Tripp, in a rare moment for him, actually picked up on the player's uncomfortableness and moved on.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was earlier this year, since Tripp was talking about signing a long contract with Carolina, talking about the physical play he brought to the team, and then brought up Ruutu's past.

I'm disappointed with the suspension.. but being suspended from the game, GAME misconduct, rather then a regular 10 minute misconduct, there had to be a response from the league. You can argue the penalties were a little severe, but a player doesn't get ejected from a game for no reason. The refs decided he wasn't going to play anymore and the league pretty much had to respond with either a suspension, a fine.. or both.

Glad that Tucker is doing ok, I know concussions are nothing to sneeze at but it's the lesser of two evils when compared to paralysis and broken bones. He was cut and bleeding from both his chin and his forehead, so he took a pretty good face plant into the glass.

Hopefully Kostopoulous can move up to the third line role that he took on last night and do well with it.

Still stinks though... Bummer for Ruutu.

How many games did Orpik get for breaking a neck?

3 games -

A clean hit, from a guy known to make crushing, but clean, hits results in a suspension of the same length that broke a players neck by a run-taking goon?? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Tucker should be banned from hockey... how many times have we seen this whiner turn his back to a hit that he knew was comingand make the hit look dirty - for god's sake Tucker looked straight at Ruutu and turned his back to the hit!!!