The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Ruutu suspended for 3 games/Sutter called up from Albany

Okay, Bettman can determine how many games one can be suspended for a "malicious" hit like Tuomo's hit but yet he fines Ovie's skewing incident because he isn't a "repeat" offender.

Sorry, Bettman suspended another player for a skewing the foot incident because he had a history of it, yet Ovie didn't so he didn't get a suspension. Tuomo, to my knowledge has never been suspended for a "dirty" hit on any player and Bettman comes out and gives him 3 games.

Whether you commit an offense one or several times, as the commissioner of the NHL, you treat everyone fairly that includes Ovie, Malkin and Sid the Kid to the same punishment as anyone in the league and if that means suspending their "royal" butts then do it.

Skewing the foot of a player or a illegal hit where a player gets hurt ala Tucker last night, either fine them heavily or suspend them, fining one while suspending the other two is not being fair in the true sense of the word.

Bettman has just made Tuomo the poster boy for illegal hits. If you cause a player to get injured by an illegal hit, you will get a stiff suspension for it.

Thanks Gary for nothing.

And Ruutu's admitted his past isn't squeaky clean.  I believe it was either early this year, Tripp had one of his bench interviews with Ruutu, and his past came up.  Ruutu looked really uncomfortable discussing it, but pretty much said he was a little more reckless when he came into the league than he is now.  Tripp, in a rare moment for him, actually picked up on the player's uncomfortableness and moved on.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was earlier this year, since Tripp was talking about signing a long contract with Carolina, talking about the physical play he brought to the team, and then brought up Ruutu's past.

Come on Frog theres no credible history there, just speculation and opinion.  Perhaps Ruutu was uncomfortable in the broadcast because he speaks broken English?  And its possible that his reference to playing a little reckless earlier in his career was more about that style of play leading to the injuries that took him out of Chicago's line up and eventually lead to his trade here to Raleigh?   I guess things can be interpreted several different ways but to use them as fact is quite a stretch.  Ruutu has no documented NHL history of dirty play.  Does he play careless occasionally, sure but thats a lot different than playing dirty,  I believe its the intent that draws a solid line between the two.  The only intent I've ever seen him have was the intent to take an opposing player out of the play, which is his job as a power forward.

I'm a pretty big Ruutu fan so I'm certain I would have remembered an interview like that with Tripp but I don't. That being said, I think what Icefrog may be remembering is Paul Branecky's TTS article from a few weeks ago, found posted on this very board, where he does mention some issues when Tuomo played for Jokerit.

TTS: Ruutu Tones It Down

Since this discussion partly centers around the reasons for the suspension, and the fact that there was an injury to the player involved, and that aided the decision to suspend........I fondly recall the NHL's unwillingness to penalize Doug Weight for his hit on young Brandon Sutter last year.  Sutter was injured.  Indeed, there was no penalty at all.  Weight has never been a "dirty" player, but all argued that he should/could have backed off a little on that hit, and aimed at Sutter's head.  I just think there is a lot of inconsistency with these calls.  I figured Ruutu would catch some sort of suspension, but I also thought Weight ought to have been suspended as well....as should have Ovenchicken for his leg locking shenaningans.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

IceFrog999']

And Ruutu's admitted his past isn't squeaky clean.  I believe it was either early this year, Tripp had one of his bench interviews with Ruutu, and his past came up.  Ruutu looked really uncomfortable discussing it, but pretty much said he was a little more reckless when he came into the league than he is now.  Tripp, in a rare moment for him, actually picked up on the player's uncomfortableness and moved on.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was earlier this year, since Tripp was talking about signing a long contract with Carolina, talking about the physical play he brought to the team, and then brought up Ruutu's past.

Come on Frog theres no credible history there, just speculation and opinion.  Perhaps Ruutu was uncomfortable in the broadcast because he speaks broken English?  And its possible that his reference to playing a little reckless earlier in his career was more about that style of play leading to the injuries that took him out of Chicago's line up and eventually lead to his trade here to Raleigh?   I guess things can be interpreted several different ways but to use them as fact is quite a stretch.  Ruutu has no documented NHL history of dirty play.  Does he play careless occasionally, sure but thats a lot different than playing dirty,  I believe its the intent that draws a solid line between the two.  The only intent I've ever seen him have was the intent to take an opposing player out of the play, which is his job as a power forward.

Well, as you said, it could be interpreted in many ways, though that article right there has him admitting "It was fair to say at the time" when the article stated he had a nasty temper and "a tendency to play dirty".  And it also mentions a suspension early in the career.

I could have sworn Tripp interviewed Ruutu at the beginning of the year, maybe the Boston or the Tampa Bay game.  Or my memory might just be off and I'm thinking of the Brackney article.

Since this discussion partly centers around the reasons for the suspension, and the fact that there was an injury to the player involved, and that aided the decision to suspend........I fondly recall the NHL's unwillingness to penalize Doug Weight for his hit on young Brandon Sutter last year.  Sutter was injured.  Indeed, there was no penalty at all.  Weight has never been a "dirty" player, but all argued that he should/could have backed off a little on that hit, and aimed at Sutter's head.  I just think there is a lot of inconsistency with these calls.  I figured Ruutu would catch some sort of suspension, but I also thought Weight ought to have been suspended as well....as should have Ovenchicken for his leg locking shenaningans.
Completely different situation.  Sutter had his head down, trying to corral the puck at center ice.  I guess you could argue that Weight aimed at his head, but considered his head was about waist level in the first place, there's not much there.  Sutter put himself in that position, and Weight hit him with a legal hit (by the rules of the game at least).  In this suspension, Ruutu was hitting illegally, hence why he got that nice little major for it.

There's no reason to suspend Weight for the hit, unless you believe that every hit that causes injury should be suspendable.

It's not about whether or not Tucker is a dirty player.  He was in a vulnerable position and Ruutu boarded him.  We can't look at this through Canes colored glasses and defend our guy.  Cole's neck was broken in a similar incident and we were ready to crucify Orpik.  No matter what the league has done in the past, I think they are right in this case.  I'd like to see them do the same for head shots.

I don't think Ruutu did anything with malice.  I just think his switch got flipped (like Walker's did in the Boston series with A. Ward) and there was no stopping him.  He likes to hit and we like him to hit.  A physical player is going to walk the fine line between clean and dirty.  I don't think this was a dirty hit, but with the severity of Tucker's injury, they had no choice.  If he gets up and a brawl ensues, Ruutu probably gets a game, maybe.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I'm a pretty big Ruutu fan so I'm certain I would have remembered an interview like that with Tripp but I don't. That being said, I think what Icefrog may be remembering is Paul Branecky's TTS article from a few weeks ago, found posted on this very board, where he does mention some issues when Tuomo played for Jokerit.

TTS: Ruutu Tones It Down

Good find and definately adds some facts to the story.   Funny its asked whether or not Tuomo was confused with his brother Jarko and maybe it was guilt by association?  That was the sentiment with quite a few of the Avs fans last night and again today after the suspension was imposed.  

Even after reading what Tuomo said in that article, it sounds like his recklessness in his youth was more about being selfish and going for the big hit rather than scoring goals to help his team win games.  I still see no evidence of that same selfish behavior he described in the article since entering the NHL.  I've seen him go after the big hit plenty and carelessly take himself out of the play along with his recipient but I still haven't seen intent to harm.

I'm a parent of a youth hockey player who has a bright red stop sign on the back of his jersey and if this same hit was made on my kid, I'd be furious.  Ruutu was wrong to not let up and make that hit and the right call was made on the ice IMO, its the 3 game suspension I question and it seems the league is intent on setting an example with Ruutu.  They almost have to with video clips of Tucker being taken off the ice on a stretcher replaying on TSN and ESPN over and over and over for the PR value if nothing else.

If Tucker's head doesn't hit the glass funny after that same hit and he's able to get back to the bench, does this whole event get the attention of the league like it did? 

[quote name='IceFrog999 wrote:

JLP']

Did anyone catch this line from Foote, from
:

"Ruutu's got a history," said Foote, the Avs' captain. "He hits late,he hits from behind. So I felt like it was probably dirty if your guyis laying there."

Is this just his excuse for the roughing? Or is he confusing the Ruutu brothers? I don't think Tuomo has a history like that.

His brother is a worse offender, but Ruutu does have a history of dirty plays.  A lot came from when he first entered the league, but then there are situations like this one where he shows he's not the cleanest player out there.  Heck, I remember last year, Ruutu blatantly left his feet to launch himself at a Rangers player.

3 games is about right.  It wasn't an intent to injure, but players are taught from the squirts not to hit a player when their number is facing you.  And as much as I dislike Tucker, his back was to Ruutu the entire time.  Ruutu should have let up.  No excuses.  Given Ruutu's history and the injury to Tucker, 3 games is fair.

A+

My thoughts exactly

I'm a firm believer that most NHL players (esp the goon-esche type) know exactly how to line up vulnerable hits, especially with the way obstruction rules have opened up the ice surface.  For most of us fans we simply see a finished check, but for most NHL players they know exactly how to spot the potential hits that will end in good fashion or health risk.  I'm not referring to the moment right before Ruutu initiated contact with Tucker, but the sharp turn he took around the faceoff dot to keep himself in Tucker's blind spot.  Again this is just my opinion.

topshelfavry:

If Tucker's head doesn't hit the glass funny after that same hitand he's able to get back to the bench, does this whole event get theattention of the league like it did?

Probable not but his head did hit the glass. The film clips of the hit sure didn't help but I don't have a problem with the 3 day suspension.  What I will have a problem with is if after a similar play if the league doesn't impose the same suspension even if it is a elite player who is guilty. Or if Ruutu becomes labeled a "bad boy" of hockey and Ref's begin calling boarding and roughing penalties on him for the slightest hit.

I also worry that Ruutu might change his game. Lets face it Ruutu's hitting style is what we like about him. It is what makes him effective.  It appears that most Canes fans and Av fans think the hit on Tucker was wrong but don't think the hit on Tucker was  malicious.  Lets hope the league, the Ref's and the fans can put this incident behind us.

IceFrog999 Wrote: 
Completely different situation.  Sutter had his head down, trying to corral the puck at center ice.  I guess you could argue that Weight aimed at his head, but considered his head was about waist level in the first place, there's not much there.  Sutter put himself in that position, and Weight hit him with a legal hit (by the rules of the game at least).  In this suspension, Ruutu was hitting illegally, hence why he got that nice little major for it.

There's no reason to suspend Weight for the hit, unless
you believe that every hit that causes injury
should be suspendable.

I don't believe that every hit that causes injury should be suspendable, but the NHL keeps saying that they will take such a stance, but always play favorites with whom they suspend and whom they don't.  I realize Sutter's head was down, saw it live....Sutter's mistake, and I know that Weight felt bad about it.  The reason I brought it up, is because the only logical reasoning behind Ruutu's suspension is the head injury.  The hit last night wasn't particularly brutal.  If the NHL is going to take action when there is an injury (regardless of the causal factors), then they need to be consistent. 

we sure have a nasty team right now...Tuomo with the boarding on genteel "crazy" Tucker, Walks sucker punching Aaron last year, Cole's diving champoinship, Staal slashing sticks and cussing out and abusing fair officials, Cullen checking with his face, Jokinen bumping a Hall of Fame goaltender to score in the playoffs, Rosie knocking 15 foot tall MVP on his butt, Cam robbing forwards almost every night, the team is trying to steal points, ... we're going to hell I tell ya

The NHL bases their suspensions for head shot related hits on when the recieving player became vulnerable in relation to the aggressor committing the check. In this particular hit, Tuckers back was facing Ruutu prior, during and after he began to lean his shoulder into the check. Most of the debatable hits occur when the receiving player has his shoudler facing the attacker, but turns his back to the hit after the aggressor commits to the check. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

topshelfavry:

If Tucker's head doesn't hit the glass funny after that same hit and he's able to get back to the bench, does this whole event get the attention of the league like it did?

Probable not but his head did hit the glass. The film clips of the hit sure didn't help but I don't have a problem with the 3 day suspension.  What I will have a problem with is if after a similar play if the league doesn't impose the same suspension even if it is a elite player who is guilty. Or if Ruutu becomes labeled a "bad boy" of hockey and Ref's begin calling boarding and roughing penalties on him for the slightest hit.

I also worry that Ruutu might change his game. Lets face it Ruutu's hitting style is what we like about him. It is what makes him effective.  It appears that most Canes fans and Av fans think the hit on Tucker was wrong but don't think the hit on Tucker was  malicious.  Lets hope the league, the Ref's and the fans can put this incident behind us.

You're exactly right and if the league thinks its a 3 game suspension so be it, whether or not I agree with it shouldn't matter.  My issue is exactly as you say above, Ruutu getting labeled like his brother(hadn't even thought about him changing his game), or if the league doesn't stay consistent with their punishments regardless of who the player is.

Thanks for being my voice of reason, I probably feel a little more passionate about this because I do have a kid playing this sport and I would die to see my kid get hit or give a hit like that.   Its been very interesting seeing the Av's fans response vs. the Canes fans response.  Nice to see that neither fanbase is overly homerish (if thats a word) and isn't afraid to look at it objectively.  Quite the opposite of some the past incidents like the Cullen concussion in NY.

we sure have a nasty team right now...Tuomo with the boarding on genteel "crazy" Tucker, Walks sucker punching Aaron last year, Cole's diving champoinship, Staal slashing sticks and cussing out and abusing fair officials, Cullen checking with his face, Jokinen bumping a Hall of Fame goaltender to score in the playoffs, Rosie knocking 15 foot tall MVP on his butt, Cam robbing forwards almost every night, the team is trying to steal points, ... we're going to hell I tell ya
Whatever it takes, right? Was a slogan of ours for the '05-'06 season. smile.gif

This whole Ruutu situation pretty much sums up how I've seen things go for us lately. Nothing consistent about penalties/punishment other than us being on the short end of that stick. Whether what the league decided to do was warranted or not, there's no way someone can say we've been treated fairly. You look at all the critical calls/non-calls this year that have gone a long way toward deciding games. Whatever standard they're using to judge us hasn't been the same one used for our opponents. We've had bad luck with officiating EVERY game. Tough for me to accept that to be a coincidence. Watch the "elite" teams/players in the league play and you'll see some preferential treatment. Absolutely disgusts me.

But I guess my opinion isn't going to change anything. I'll just continue to stand by my Hurricanes and watch them defy the odds and be a serious threat come playoff time.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer']
topshelfavry:

You're exactly right and if the league thinks its a 3 game suspension so be it, whether or not I agree with it shouldn't matter.  My issue is exactly as you say above, Ruutu getting labeled like his brother(hadn't even thought about him changing his game), or if the league doesn't stay consistent with their punishments regardless of who the player is.

Thanks for being my voice of reason, I probably feel a little more passionate about this because I do have a kid playing this sport and I would die to see my kid get hit or give a hit like that.   Its been very interesting seeing the Av's fans response vs. the Canes fans response.  Nice to see that neither fanbase is overly homerish (if thats a word) and isn't afraid to look at it objectively.  Quite the opposite of some the past incidents like the Cullen concussion in NY.

Well, Toumo doesn't carry the reputation Jarkko does but he has his share of questionable hits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-8ap-RS3I&NR=1 (charging?)

(late hit?)

(interference? charging?)

But in all fairness he does have some big clean hits

ROFLMAO....that was pretty good.  Don't forget Staal charging the goalie last night...ala being pushed into him by the defender......

[quote name='fpsndiver wrote:

krad']we sure have a nasty team right now...Tuomo with the boarding on genteel "crazy" Tucker, Walks sucker punching Aaron last year, Cole's diving champoinship, Staal slashing sticks and cussing out and abusing fair officials, Cullen checking with his face, Jokinen bumping a Hall of Fame goaltender to score in the playoffs, Rosie knocking 15 foot tall MVP on his butt, Cam robbing forwards almost every night, the team is trying to steal points, ... we're going to hell I tell ya

ROFLMAO....that was pretty good.  Don't forget Staal charging the goalie last night...ala being pushed into him by the defender......

Well, we went from the least penalized team in the league for several years to the most penalized starting last May.  Might as well own it if its ours.

Instead of the new bottom feeder theme, I propose we go with RBC goon squad theme. laugh.gif:

I have to admit I was kinda hoping it would be Boychuk that was called up. But Sutter can help out on special teams and is likely the most ready prospect.  But ya got to roll the dice sometime.  Sutter better keep his head up. 

I have to admit I was kinda hoping it would be Boychuk that was called up. But Sutter can help out on special teams and is likely the most ready prospect.  But ya got to roll the dice sometime.  Sutter better keep his head up. 

I was hoping the same thing.. I think Boychuk would've been good for the offense, but Sutter has a little more experience in playing with the big boys. our penelty kill should be decent tonite. Let's just leave Minny with a victory, thats all that matters! As always, LET'S GO CANES!!

Dang what is up with the league these days. Mike Richards blatantly elbows David Booth across the middle last night, and Booth left on a stretcher. Mike Green gets slew-footed by Josh Thompson of the Isles, but he stays in and actually scores a goal later on.

Combine these things with the Ruutu incident, and it's been a tough weekend for league and dirty plays. Not good for casual fans to see.

I've already heard the "oh, well, Booth had his head down" argument from the Flyers fans, which if you, ya know, LOOK AT THE VIDEO EVIDENCE, isn't the case at all.  He glances back at the guy trailing him to the left and Richards just goes right for his head - no attempt at all to hit the body.

And apparently - though I can't find a link - no suspension for Richards.  I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

My sister saw the hit...and this is her opinion as an EMT and as a med student: She believes that tucker was probally playing the injury up. she could tell by the way his head hit the class all he would have is a concussion. that and he was lifting his head when he was being checked over...you cant exactly do that if ur neck is broken. it wouldnt surprise me if tucker did play possum based on his past behavior of cheap shots. lets face it, dirty players will do anything

Booth left on a stretcher, cut above eye, concussion, shoulder hit to the head and he knew Booth was in a vulnerable position so he could have let up. Richards left with a game misconduct.� If I'm JR and Paul Maurice I'm outraged.�Richards made an open ice hit with a shoulder