The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Ruutu suspended for 3 games/Sutter called up from Albany

I'm not at all trying to minimize the impact of Ruutu's hit on Darcy Tucker the other night, but Richard's hit on Booth was 100 times more violent, intentional, and certainly deserving of a suspension.  The NHL needs to suspend Richards..without a doubt.  Consistent with my earlier statements in this thread, this play deserves a suspension.  If there is no suspension on this blow to the head, I'll start buying into that "Conspiracy Theory" thread in this forum. 

1. Puck is there

2. Not a charge, he took no extra strides.

3.Didn't leave his feet.

4. Kept the arm in so it wasn't an elbow

5. Not from behind. but from the side

What rule did he break that he should be suspended for? The let him go and have a scoring chance rule? I mean if Richards comes across and lays an elbow on Booth then yes suspend him for 5 games. But this is a clean hit and had a unfortunate ending.

Let's widen the rink and make the creases half ovals while we try to change the game to Euro hockey. *shakes head*

Intentional head blows ought to merit an automatic suspension.  You can look at that hit all day long, and if you conscience can say it was clean, than our mores certainly differ.

Doug Weight deserved to be suspended for the hit on Sutter.  Richards deserves a suspension for the hit on Booth.  Simple.  The NHL talks a good game about ending the head shots, but take no action.

If you want to talk about positioning...lets talk about it.  On the Ruutu hit to Darcy the other night, watch it again.  Darcy's numbers may have been facing Ruutu, but Ruutu's skates and Tucker's skates were parallell with each other.  Therefore, if you look at Darcy's legs, Ruutu hit him from the side. It still didn't make it right. Side, back....none of that matters.  Its the head injury.  Ruutu's hit was nowhere near as malevolent as Richards' was, but in the end, if things go as you are desiring, you turn the bigger villain into a "tough no BS player", and you turn Ruutu into a "dirty hitter".  Come on, watch both of the hits and tell me which was the worse offense to sensibilities.  You send a statement when you have those injuries, and subconsciously, the players will lower their hits into the body instead of trying to "Clank the head, and the rest will fall."  I've heard guys say this in checking leagues, so don't tell me that mentality isn't out there.  When the NHL perpetuates this at the Professional level, then kids will repeat what they're seeing on TV.  Its a cheap shot, a head shot, and hockey doesn't need it to be exciting. [/rant]

i dont think a suspension is warranted. It looked like any other hit, Tucker just wasnt ready for it. At most it warranted a 2 min penalty. ther was no maliciousness or intent to injur. Read the wording of the rule, intent to injur or maliciousness. this was just a mistimed check. ruutu didnt try and put him through the 3rd row of seats, he was just finishing his check.
The guy had his back completely turned and Ruutu hit him right on the numbers. It doesn't matter if it was malicious  or deliberate, the fact of the matter there is no hits from behind allowed, period.  From the look of it Ruutu had an opportunity to cut out at the last  instance but he didn't.  3 games is nothing considering such a hit has ended player's seasons or even careers.      

My sister saw the hit...and this is her opinion as an EMT and as a med student: She believes that tucker was probally playing the injury up. she could tell by the way his head hit the class all he would have is a concussion. that and he was lifting his head when he was being checked over...you cant exactly do that if ur neck is broken. it wouldnt surprise me if tucker did play possum based on his past behavior of cheap shots. lets face it, dirty players will do anything
Talking cheap! That is certainly a cheap sleezy comment.

Richard's delivered a shoulder to the head.  You can't tell me he didn't go for Booth's head.  Ruutu finished a check.  Both hits resulted in injury, but only one was malicious, IMO.  But, this is a tough game.  Richards was within the existing rules.  Ruutu wasn't.  If you want the refs to interpret things any differently, then change the rules.  But, Bettman and his crew continue to talk the talk on head shots  ..........   I hope both players recover quickly.

Intentional head blows ought to merit an automatic suspension.  You can look at that hit all day long, and if you conscience can say it was clean, than our mores certainly differ.

Doug Weight deserved to be suspended for the hit on Sutter.  Richards deserves a suspension for the hit on Booth.  Simple.  The NHL talks a good game about ending the head shots, but take no action.

If you want to talk about positioning...lets talk about it.  On the Ruutu hit to Darcy the other night, watch it again.  Darcy's numbers may have been facing Ruutu, but Ruutu's skates and Tucker's skates were parallell with each other.  Therefore, if you look at Darcy's legs, Ruutu hit him from the side. It still didn't make it right. Side, back....none of that matters.  Its the head injury.  Ruutu's hit was nowhere near as malevolent as Richards' was, but in the end, if things go as you are desiring, you turn the bigger villain into a "tough no BS player", and you turn Ruutu into a "dirty hitter".  Come on, watch both of the hits and tell me which was the worse offense to sensibilities.  You send a statement when you have those injuries, and subconsciously, the players will lower their hits into the body instead of trying to "Clank the head, and the rest will fall."  I've heard guys say this in checking leagues, so don't tell me that mentality isn't out there.  When the NHL perpetuates this at the Professional level, then kids will repeat what they're seeing on TV.  Its a cheap shot, a head shot, and hockey doesn't need it to be exciting. [/rant]

This times a million and one. Obviously, I may come off ridiculously biased if you take a look at my screen name, but I completely, 110% agree with you. As just about everyone who has been in the presence of Tuomo Ruutu knows, he's not a malicious guy of any type (except Colin White). It just makes me so mad that Richards gets away un-freaking-scathed and Ruutu gets the title of the NHL's New Bad Boy slapped onto him just because he's known for being physical. I mean, what does the guy have to do? Be the captain of a team and score tons of points just to get away like Richards did? I'm not saying that Tuomo's hit was right on any levels, because it wasn't, but I don't want him being grouped with goons like his brother! Please, no!

The bottom line is that one hit is legal and the other is deemed illegal. I guess what upsets and confuses most people is that they can't understand why an open ice hit to the head like that needs to be a legal hit. It doesn't, considering how dangerous and severe the injuries are most of the time. I have yet to see a guy getting nailed to the head like that who got up, laughed it off and finished his shift. I also find it hard to believe that such checks to the head are not intentional and malicious. They are, because you can hit lower if you really wanted to and it is a lot easier to just aim for a shoulder to shoulder contact to knock him on his butt than it is to zero in on the guy's chin or head. Yea, pros accept all the risks when they step on the ice but guys would kill each other just to intimidate the other team if there weren't laws and regulations against it. It makes no sense. I also read quite a few comments for the "traditionalists" but most of their reasons, other than enjoying bush-league tactics and checks, are not founded. They like to ignore the fact that the league instituted rules to protect players and no longer allow boarding, kneeing, elbowing, charging, speering and eye gouging. They really need to make open ice hit to the head illegal too, even if they "only" use their shoulder.

Since this has morphed into the debate on head shots, I'll gladly throw my 2 cents in.  When Recchi hit Sutter last year I posted this opinion and it hasn't changed; the league has to do something about head shots.  If a player hits another player in the head with a stick, it's a penalty.  A player is supposed to be in controll of their stick at all time.  If a player lines up a guy with a shoulder to the head and lays him out, it's fine with the rules.  If nothing is changed, one day a superstar is going to be paralyzed or killed and then and only then will it be a problem (see NASCAR when Dale Earnhardt was killed).

Back to Ruutu, will he be allowed to practice with the team this week or is he suspended from team practice as well? I know he skated by himself Saturday since the rest of the team didn't practice. But thinking ahead to his comeback on Sunday at the end of a back-to-back you'd think it would be important for him to be able to skate with the rest of the players this week. Just curious as to what he's allowed to do outside of the games themselves. Thanks!

The good thing out of the mess Ruutu got himself into is he will come back in form and can go right back and pick up where he left off. I thought we really missed his physicality against Minnesota and some of our guys looked pretty awkward trying to make up for it.

[quote name='Duke-ch1 wrote:

pilige']My sister saw the hit...and this is her opinion as an EMT and as a med student: She believes that tucker was probally playing the injury up. she could tell by the way his head hit the class all he would have is a concussion. that and he was lifting his head when he was being checked over...you cant exactly do that if ur neck is broken. it wouldnt surprise me if tucker did play possum based on his past behavior of cheap shots. lets face it, dirty players will do anything

Talking cheap! That is certainly a cheap sleezy comment.

one, thats her opinion, and 2, tucker is a dirty player. 

Lets step back for a minute.  We all need to take our Homer glasses off. Lets say the roles are reversed.  If Ruutu was the one who was dragged off the ice we would be calling for a lifetime suspension.  This hit is no different then the Orpik hit on Cole.  Only difference is Cole broke his neck and very easily Tucker could have had the same thing happen to him.

Flat out if you see the opposing players numbers against the boards you are suppose to let up. Driving his head into the glass is a dirty play period. You can't argue with that. The team actually caught a break only getting a 3 game suspension.  The league has mandated to stop these kind of hits. I don't want to see that kind of play for or against the Canes. 

I think most agree it was a bad hit that was suspension worthy but its pretty tough to watch other equally almost catastrophic head shot type plays go unpunished.  Especially when a head was being aimed at vs being inadvertently pushed into the glass.   I'm not trying to downplay Ruutu's hit and say it wasn't wrong because it was. But his mistake was hitting from behind, not purposely taking a shot at someone's head.  If he specifically went up high in that same hit aiming for above the shoulders, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a much longer suspension that would be well deserved.  

This isn't a matter of taking homer glasses off, I'm not a Panthers fan yet I'm as disgusted as them about Booth being taken out like he was.  The big difference with Orpik's hit was that Cole was already down low when Orpik hit him from behind so he hit him right at head level.  Again, both were bad illegal hits from behind but one targeted the head (and I'm not saying he was trying break Cole's neck).

Also, quoted directly from the NHL press release:

Richards was given a major penalty for interference and a game misconduct for intent to injure.  If there was intent to injure (and these are the NHL's words, not mine) how is this not suspendable?  That is where the issue is, nothing homerish about that.

Lets step back for a minute.  We all need to take our Homer glasses off. Lets say the roles are reversed.  If Ruutu was the one who was dragged off the ice we would be calling for a lifetime suspension.  This hit is no different then the Orpik hit on Cole.

Apparently, you need to put those homer glasses back on, as they must have a fairly strong prescription.

Orpik pushed Erik into the boards from a good distance away, knocked him off balance exposing his head, and used a free hand to keep Cole from being able to avoid the collision.

Ruutu skated into a player who was already at the boards, gave him a square shoulder check that would under most circumstances be uneventful, and Tucker twisted at the last split-second so that space was created between Tucker's shoulder and the glass which was where the stress on the neck came from.

[quote name='caniac-1-1 wrote:

cjslumber
']

Lets step back for a minute.  We all need to take our Homer glasses off. Lets say the roles are reversed.  If Ruutu was the one who was dragged off the ice we would be calling for a lifetime suspension. 
This hit is no different then the Orpik hit on Cole.

Apparently, you need to put those homer glasses back on, as they must have a fairly strong prescription.

Homer?

Orpik pushed Erik into the boards from a good distance away, knocked him off balance exposing his head, and used a free hand to keep Cole from being able to avoid the collision.

I agree different types of play but both players deserve a suspension.  I'll stand behind my statement that both plays don't belong in the game.

Ruutu skated into a player who was already at the boards, gave him a square shoulder check that would under most circumstances be uneventful, and Tucker twisted at the last split-second so that space was created between Tucker's shoulder and the glass which was where the stress on the neck came from.

I think your making my point for me.  Ruutu saw Tucker against the boards and should have let up. It's called having respect for another player.

I love the way Ruutu plays. I don't want to see him lose his edge but at the same time I don't want to see somebody die one day on the ice. With the size and the speed of the players today if the lack of respect from one player to another continues we will one day see a death on the ice.

Listening to Ruutu's apologize I really feel bad for him. He had no intention of hurting Tucker.

From the "Bleacher Report"

The good news for the soon to be 35 year-old is that a CT Scan revealed no damage except for a concussion. Tucker who needed 40 stitches to close an ugly gash from crashing to the ice will be out of action for an indefinite period of time while Ruutu begins serving his suspension that will end on Sunday November 1 when the Canes play the San Jose Sharks. Ruutu who isn’t known for playing dirty will have to pay a $59,067.36 penalty.

I agree different types of play but both players deserve a suspension.  I'll stand behind my statement that both plays don't belong in the game.

Ruutu's hit was negligent.  He hit a player in the back against theboards, and you will notice I have never attempted to change what I sawto make him seem less culpable.  I took exception only to your statement that the hit was the same as Orpik's on Cole.

One was negligent, and the other was dirty.

Kind of late to the thread here, but, just to back up IceFrog, I remember that same interview he was talking about with Tripp and Ruutu, so he isn't imagining things.  Can't remember where I saw it either though.