The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Category5

Conspiracy theory

I don't think so. Just look at the other highly-penalized teams around the NHL; Ottawa, Philadelphia, Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Calgary are all right up there with the Hurricanes in terms of penalty minutes per game. Plus, if it were some type of "conspiracy" against the Hurricanes, they wouldn't have waited this long to set it in motion.

I don't think so. NBA maybe lol

I think Canes just couldn't make it. I feel like they got a feeling "We're gonna lose. We're gonna lose. ..." in their heads when the game is really close.

I haven't seen enough games featuring other teams to say whether or not the refs are giving the whole league the same treatment or just Carolina... but I DO know that half of the calls that either went against the Canes or for the opposition (as in no-calls) were more than questionable - more like laughable if it wasn't so devastating aganist the Canes.  I can't call Conspiracy yet... but I can say that there is either biased officiating or an extreme shortage of capable officials in the league.  Take your pick.

Sofar, I think the NHL reverted to the post-lockout mode when they decided to enforce even the slightest infraction and that the Canes just haven't caught on to it yet. Panic buttons and NHL conspiracy theories might be fun topics to talk about during the off-days but to me it's just a far fetched excuse because it distracts from the real problems and solve nothing. That said, I did find it interesting last night when even the Minnesota guys commented on the Canes getting called quicker than the Wild, when the Wild "got away with one there" or that a hooked Cane had to yell out to the ref before he raised his arm.

Mo didn't mention it directly but a couple of days ago he did address a confidence issue which made me think out probable causes. Excuses and opinions are many but I think when you look to the nearest, single denominator, one that has its hand in pretty much everything that is giving us problems right now, it comes down to only one big culprit. No, its not his system or the age of the players, nor the refs or some NHL conspiracy. It's good and quick passing - or our lack thereof.

Because of it, our guys are out of sync having to constantly reach back, stretch for or dig out pucks from their skates; instead of using instincts passing becomes a decision making process; guys get trapped because they are holding the puck too long; it causes needless turnovers where we end up having to chase guys instead of making them chase us; it slows down our overall game flow and keeps us from sustaining any momentum; our transition game becomes slower because D men become more careful and look for the perfect pass or simply opt to carry out the puck more (which has seen improvement because of Pitkanen's return); our forwards opt to dump and chase more or just fire the puck on net from all distances because they don't want to turn the puck over; it obviously reduces the number of our scoring chances and it makes our powerplay anemic. With all the miscues and having to chase the puck and players all over the place it's really no wonder when the guys start getting frustrated and penalized for stupid or unneccessary stuff. Puck carriers never get called, it's always the frustrated guys who try to get the puck back or do anything to get something going by impeding an opponent's game flow to break up a play to gain some advantage. I guess the bottom line is that without better passing it won't matter who we bring up from the minors, how much the guys hustle or if they are playing for Mo, Lavi or Bowman -- the passing and confidence to pass has to be there to support all the other efforts. But hell, what do I know.

Sofar, I think the NHL reverted to the post-lockout mode when they decided to enforce even the slightest infraction and that the Canes just haven't caught on to it yet. Panic buttons and NHL conspiracy theories might be fun topics to talk about during the off-days but to me it's just a far fetched excuse because it distracts from the real problems and solve nothing. That said, I did find it interesting last night when even the Minnesota guys commented on the Canes getting called quicker than the Wild, when the Wild "got away with one there" or that a hooked Cane had to yell out to the ref before he raised his arm.

Mo didn't mention it directly but a couple of days ago he did address a confidence issue which made me think about probable causes. Excuses and opinions are many but I think when you look to the nearest, single denominator, one that has its hand in pretty much everything that is giving us problems right now, it comes down to only one big culprit. No, its not his system, age of the players nor the refs or some NHL conspiracy. It's good and quick passing - or our lack thereof.

Because of it, our guys are out of sync having to constantly reach back, stretch for or dig out pucks from their skates; instead of using instincts, passing becomes a decision making process; guys get trapped because they are holding the puck too long; it causes needless turnovers where we end up having to chase guys instead of making them chase us; it slows down our overall game flow and keeps us from sustaining any momentum; our transition game becomes a lot slower because D men become more careful and look for the perfect pass or simply opt to carry out the puck more (which has seen improvement because of Pitkanen's return); our forwards opt to dump and chase more or just fire the puck on net from all distances because they don't want to turn the puck over; it obviously reduces the number of our scoring chances and it makes our powerplay anemic. With all the miscues and having to chase the puck and players all over the place it's really no wonder when the guys start getting frustrated and get penalized for stupid or unneccessary stuff. Puck carriers never get called, refs always catch the frustrated guys who hook, hold, trip, slash and interfere to break up a game flow and to regain possession of the puck. I think most of the calls we get we deserve eventhough they might be petty or not fairly called for both teams. But again, puck carriers never get called....

I guess the bottom line is that without better passing it won't matter who we bring up from the minors, how much the guys hustle or if they are playing for Mo, Lavi or Bowman -- the passing and confidence to pass has to be there to support all the other efforts. But hell, what do I know.

While I'm not one to blame wild conspiracies for our woes, and I partially agree with Whaler here to some degree about what is wrong........I certainly think there has been some lobsided officiating upon our beloved Canes this season.  I figured with the acquisition of Alberts and Ward that our penalty minutes would be on the rise, but not to this extent.  Most of our penalties have been deserved, in the strict sense of the rulebook, however, my problem is that the other teams haven't been called quite as tight as the canes are when we're playing.  Furthermore, the fact that Ruutu...who made a bad choice on a hit that wasn't advertantly malevolent gets suspended (as I think he should have been), but Richards walks with what was certainly a greater offense.  Then you have the Ovechkin fine from late last week, where a similar issue resulted in suspension.  The NHL justified that by saying that Ovechkin wasn't a prior offender.  BULL  I guess Ovechkin stays on his feet for all of his hits right?  All I ask is to call the games even, if you're gonna call it tight, call it tight on both teams.  By all means, when players offend and are deserving of suspension.....suspend them, regardless of their name, number, and title.

As for our gameplay, step it up boys, we can ill afford to let November slip into oblivion.

Yea, I agree that the calls have been suspiciously lobsided and not just by one set of refs. I wished that our guys wouldn't have to burn themselves out trying to kill more penalties than the other team, or worse, end up falling behind because of it and lose their confidence, but in the end it's our own guys who put themselves into the position to draw the calls. That the officials are not always totally fair in their calls ot the NHL not totally fair in dishing out suspensions, is really nothing new though.

Who knows as to why, but it sure does seem to be and unlevel playing field/rink. There were so many calls that SHOULD have been called against the Wild the other nite and they were just let go. (hooks,trips,high sticks) But yet as soon as one of our guys sticks were parallel with the ice they were called. At some point your stick has to change it's angle and it looked like they were calling it on us as the stick passed thru that point(parallel) and whisle blew for in that nano-second it was parallel. (But just for us) So i guess it's al up to you/me as to how we see it! KINDA FISHY!

Sorry, not drinking the Kool-Aid. Simply put, the officiating was just as bad last year as it is this year. In fact, I'd say it was worse last year. Take the game against Montreal last season. No team, period, should have an 11-1 streak of PPs in their favor. It means the refs were blatantly missing calls on one team while calling those same (or similar) infractions on the other. It's quite possible that the Canadiens took 11 penalties through 2 periods. It's also possible that we only took 1 penalty through 2 periods. I don't believe it's possible that they took 11 and we only took 1 through 2 periods.

There are a couple factors I believe are contributing to the increased penalty calls against us. The first, obviously, is that we're not playing well, and when a team is getting outplayed, they're more likely to take penalties. The second is this team is playing a different style than last years. Last year, our MO was to be a fast forechecking team. We'd cause turnovers by putting the pressure on the opposing team, which in turn would cause them to take penalties. This year, the team's changed to a physical forechecking team. Theoretically, we'd dump the puck in, and then force the turnovers by wearing the opposing team down physically. Unfortunately, we simply don't have the players to play that kind of game.

There's a reason why players that should be producing (Samsonov, LaRose, Staal) simply aren't. They're more adapt to the fast forecheck and are having trouble adjusting to the new style of play. Players like Whitney and Jokinen, who have played this style before, are putting up points because of it.

Finally, the fact that we were the least penalized team in the league last year certainly has a factor on whether or not we get calls this year. Last year, we had a PP/PK ratio of +73. That's unheard of. No matter how good a team is (and we certainly weren't good for a good portion of the year), to have that much of an advantage means someone's not doing their job correctly. It's quite possible that the refs are more likely to call penalties against us this year because of the overwhelming advantage we had last year. You can call it conspiracy if you like, but I'd just call it fixing a mistake.

IceFrog999 wrote:

It's quite possible that the refs are more likely to call penalties against us this year because of the overwhelming advantage we had last year. You can call it conspiracy if you like, but I'd just call it fixing a mistake.

If thats the case, you just validated the conspiracy theorists around here wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

IceFrog999']

It's quite possible that the refs are more likely to call penalties against us this year because of the overwhelming advantage we had last year. You can call it conspiracy if you like, but I'd just call it fixing a mistake.

If thats the case, you just validated the conspiracy theorists around here wink.gif

Wow,,,imagine that,all 3 of us agreed on the same thing!! Maybe there is something to this whole conspiracy thing after all!!grin.gif

I am going to buy a lotto ticket right now!!lol

Sofar, I think the NHL reverted to the post-lockout mode when they decided to enforce even the slightest infraction and that the Canes just haven't caught on to it yet.
This is the part of it that doesnt make sense to me... Yeah they've called a few calls like hooking where it's the whole "stick parallel" or "on the hands" and it gets called, even if it didn't impede the player or "pull them back" like the old style hooking.. and the "holding" penalty on larose where he tapped the guy on the shoulder with the free hand, but didnt pull him or yank him or anything, in fact didnt even deny him a scoring chance.  But while that ticky tacky stuff is getting called, it's not getting called all the time, and obvious stuff is getting let go.

We spent nearly all of the Colorado game on the PK, and yet there were still tons more calls that could have been made against both teams, if the stuff was being called consistently... one tap of the stick is a hook, another tap of the stick is not. 

I wouldnt say conspiracy, just crappy officiating and like Frog said.. it's been crappy for years.  Canes are just getting the short end of the stick so far this year.

I also hate it when the sneaky attempts to injure a player arent caught and when the player retaliates it gets called, like against Colorado where Staal gets a stick shoved where the sun don't shine and HE gets a misconduct? for what? batting the guys stick out of his groin... seriously... come on.  Four refs on the ice and not one of them sees the stick between staals legs, but all 4 of them see the slash that follows it? I still don't even understand why that was a game misconduct either..

[quote name='DJHARLEY wrote:

TSA wrote:

IceFrog999']

If thats the case, you just validated the conspiracy theorists around here 
wink.gif

Wow,,,imagine that,all 3 of us agreed on the same thing!! Maybe there is something to this whole conspiracy thing after all!!grin.gif

I am going to buy a lotto ticket right now!!lol

Yeah, that there is pretty much the definition of a conspiracy. wiki-favicon-sharpened.pngfavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.icoGood call Frog. laugh.gifwink.gif

I also hate it when the sneaky attempts to injure a player arent caught and when the player retaliates it gets called, like against Colorado where Staal gets a stick shoved where the sun don't shine and HE gets a misconduct? for what? batting the guys stick out of his groin... seriously... come on.  Four refs on the ice and not one of them sees the stick between staals legs, but all 4 of them see the slash that follows it? I still don't even understand why that was a game misconduct either..

Yeah, the 24 PIM on that play was definitely awiki-favicon-sharpened.pngfavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.ico "jump the shark" moment for me. Completely ridiculous. FWIW, I think he got an extra 10 for mouthing off to the officials, which they completely deserved.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

IceFrog999']

As I said, you can call it conspiracy if you like.  I won't, because doing such would validate the claims of a conspiracy FOR us last year.  It's not a one or the other situation.  I didn't hear many complaints about the officiating when they were constantly in our favor, but as soon as the tides start to turn:

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

That's not to say there haven't been things let go that should have been called, or things that were called against us that were missed when the opposing team does the same thing.  But that's just crappy officiating.  The same crappy officiating that's been around for years now.  I've said it once and I'll say it again:  It really says a lot about the state of the officiating when you're starting to miss Magoo.

Conspiracy?  That would be tantamount to throwing games.  Anyway, where was the conspiracy talk, in favor of the Canes, last season when the Canes were geting PP's often?  Canes are getting outplayed. 

I just call it bad officiating.  It's always been this way, and I don't have any reservations in saying it will likely continue.  I also remember the Montreal game last year.  How in the Sam Hill to you dole out 11 penalties to another clubs 1.  So, if any conspiracy is occurring, we certainly turned a blind's eye last year.  Too bad we sucked so bad at PP's, or that one might have had a chance.

We have been, historically, one of the least penalized teams in the NHL.  This year, after upsetting the apple cart in the playoffs, we are among (or THE) most penalized team in the league.  I am starting to think that the NHL wants to make sure we are not in a position to make a playoff run by putting us at a disadvantage in every game.  
were you at the avalanche game this past friday?

What happens when a hard working, aggressive fore checking club that relies on team speed and transition hockey to win stops skating?  A whole lot of penalties - that's what.  Refs aren't great but they aren't really all that bad either.  This whole thread seems like people making excuses for a team that has stopped skating and stopped playing their game...and you know what they say about excuses, right?  There may have been a couple of ticky tacky penalties but that happens to every single hockey team from pee wee's to the NHL.  It's part of the game.  No excuses.  No depression. 
Let's Go 'Canes!!!

What happens when a hard working, aggressive fore checking club that relies on team speed and transition hockey to win stops skating?  A whole lot of penalties - that's what.  Refs aren't great but they aren't really all that bad either.  This whole thread seems like people making excuses for a team that has stopped skating and stopped playing their game...and you know what they say about excuses, right?  There may have been a couple of ticky tacky penalties but that happens to every single hockey team from pee wee's to the NHL.  It's part of the game.  No excuses.  No depression. 

Let's Go 'Canes!!!

Based on most of the responses in this thread, I think the hint of sarcasm has been missed by a few here.  Most have disagreed with the conspiracy theory but almost all agree there have been some suspect calls made.  Happens to all teams at one time or another but when your team is playing as poorly as the Canes right now, it tends to jump out a little harder.  I cant almost guarantee if the all the same calls were made but the Canes were able to win some of those games, they'd still be noted but not focused on.

I got the sarcasm.  I just cant wrap my head around this team playing the way they have.  Good teams win games.  Bad teams look for excuses and blame refs.

Lets Go Canes!!!

I got the sarcasm.  I just cant wrap my head around this team playing the way they have.  Good teams win games.  Bad teams look for excuses and blame refs.

Lets Go Canes!!!

I would like to think that most reasonable folks around here feel exactly the same as you.  Its just mind boggling watching this team play the way they are right now.   Even last year in the slow start they hovered around the .500 mark, it was more of win one/lose one mentality.  I don't remember the numbers from the 03 and 04 season but this has to be up there as one of the worst starts ever for the Hurricanes.

I'm not a stats expert but this has been a tough start.  As a Whalers guy I have seen my share of losses over the last 25 years but it seems to baffle me way more this year.  I think it has a lot to do with our expectations after last years playoff run.  I didn't get to see a ton of playoff hockey back in the Hartford days so i think I may just be getting spoiled with recent  successes.  I used to complain about the refs all the time back in the 80's and early 90's: Thats what fans of bad teams do.  The Canes arent winning but they are a talented group. Hopefully they won't dig themselves much deeper of a hole before they deside its time to start skating again.  Tonight would be a great place to start.  Hopefully the refs will cooperate and only call penalties on the Blues. Ha ha ha.

Let's Go Canes!!!