The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

What to do about Leighton?

Have to agree with ya, i don't think Mo has much confidence in Leights. If he doesn't have a use for him, trade the guy somewhere that he can get some TOI. Isle's will have a goalie (maybe Biron) he is a pretty darn good goalie. Just a thought.

Have to agree with ya, i don't think Mo has much confidence in Leights. If he doesn't have a use for him, trade the guy somewhere that he can get some TOI. Isle's will have a goalie (maybe Biron) he is a pretty darn good goalie. Just a thought.
i wouldn't mind Biron in the sightless eye.

You would think after the win against San Jose last season M.L. would get a little more time defending the net. I think he needs to be put to use tomorrow against the Blues.

I'm with you too on this one.  All Leights has done is hold up a baseball cap and open the door since about May.  If playing 3 games in 4 days doesn't give a chance to get a backup goalie in, I don't see it happening at all.  Way to keep Leighton motivated Mo.

My guess is home against the Sharks 11/1, second game of the back to back. He did well against them last year.

Would love to see Biron here, but can't see the Isles giving him up any time soon, or JR shelling out the $ either.

My guess is home against the Sharks 11/1, second game of the back to back. He did well against them last year.

Would love to see Biron here, but can't see the Isles giving him up any time soon, or JR shelling out the $ either.

From what i have heard he is going to be the one on the chopping block when DiPietro come back! They will have 3 goalie's, and i bet he is the 2nd highest paid out of the 3. So with DiPietro's huge contract not sure if they would be able to keep Marty!JMO

[quote name='DJHARLEY wrote:

JLP']My guess is home against the Sharks 11/1, second game of the back to back. He did well against them last year.

From what i have heard he is going to be the one on the chopping block when DiPietro come back! They will have 3 goalie's, and i bet he is the 2nd highest paid out of the 3. So with DiPietro's huge contract not sure if they would be able to keep Marty!JMO

Well, let me combine what you said with what I said...I don't see DiPietro coming back any time soon. wink.gif  And when he does I would think they'd keep him around for at least a couple of weeks.

Most other backups around the league have seen 1-2 starts by now, so you'd think Leights would too. It's tough - Cam is a workhorse and has looked good, but you've got to spell him eventually, and letting Leights rust isn't helping him either.wiki-favicon-sharpened.pngfavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.ico

1. Mo has a history of riding goalies.

2. Leighton has NO chance of being good if he never plays. Cam would stink if he never played.

3. The schedule has been very open, there has been a lot of days between games, Cam has not needed rest. If anything he has needed to play.

4. We have been searching for a win, any win and Cam gives us the best shot at this. If we were winning Leighton would have played.

5. Cam has been historically very good in back to backs, since this is the logical time to play your backup, Leighton gets stuck with almost no place to play.

With all that said, Leighton does need to see some net time to have any chance of being any good.

The team needs a shake up. Start Leighton.

I think we ought to play him. I thought last year we played better when Leights was in goal. Leights seems to make the other players

play better. It's like there is a sense of urgency to get back on defense to help. I can understand getting your money's worth but everyone

including Ward is entitled to a break now and then. It would create a rested and energized Ward for the post-season.  Winning

has a way of simplifying these decisions.

I strongly agree with all of you on this post. Cam is a great goalie but even he needs breaks from time to time. If MO is not going to use him then let him go somewhere else where he can actually play.

I've been wondering about this for awhile. As good as Cam is, you can't put all your eggs in one basket. Leighton either needs to play here, or be traded someplace he's going to get net time and in exchange we get someone Maurice is willing to play. If Cam gets injured, the whole team is going to be hurt as long as he's out, with the way things stand now. I add this as someone who normally doesn't question coaching/personnel decisions, as I have no qualifications to do so. But even I know you can't just rely on one person (in any business) in a key position. It's just asking for trouble.

Martin Biron is awful. Watch some games people. There's a reason he's working on his fourth team in his NHL career. 
I'll have to dissagree with ya here F_A. He played well for the Sabres, he chose to leave them, as far as what happened in Philly i'm not sure. I still think he is better than Leights and might be able to push Cam a little harder than Leights does.Plus i think  having a guy whom has more games under his belt would be able to give Cam some rest. But we all have our opinions and thats just mine.smile.gif

Plus it is just food for thought,

Cam is our guy and management will want to ride him like a mule.  You dont sign somebody to a contract like that and have him split time.  Barrasso apparently runs a tight ship, so I will leave playing time issues to he and Mo. As for Leights, he is a great guy and a serviceable back up and outside of a spot start here and there and occasional mop up duty his butt is going to be stapled to that stool at the end of the bench.  Why trade for a more expensive butt to be stapled to that same stool?  Cam is an elite goalie and will probably be played like one for most of his career.  By the way, I'm sure most of you know this but Leights and Cammer actually got into a scrap during a bench clearing brawl against Norfolk back in the lockout season:

Let's Go Canes!!!

Cam is our guy and management will want to ride him like a mule.  You dont sign somebody to a contract like that and have him split time.  Barrasso apparently runs a tight ship, so I will leave playing time issues to he and Mo. As for Leights, he is a great guy and a serviceable back up and outside of a spot start here and there and occasional mop up duty his butt is going to be stapled to that stool at the end of the bench.  Why trade for a more expensive butt to be stapled to that same stool?  Cam is an elite goalie and will probably be played like one for most of his career.  By the way, I'm sure most of you know this but Leights and Cammer actually got into a scrap during a bench clearing brawl against Norfolk back in the lockout season:

Let's Go Canes!!!

yes, I know I was at that game.  The Canes organization took ten bus loads of STH'ers to see these guys play and a bench clearing brawl broke out, I think even the coaches were fighting and ended up being suspended/fined.

I actually listened to that game on AM radio up north.  That was one looooonnnnng winter with no nhl, but it was an awesome season in Lowell.  Staaler and Cam are the players they are today because of that season.  I am hoping our young studs in Albany can benefit in a similar fashion.  As for Leights, he got the best of it early but when Cammer got his arm out of his sleeve things got squared up real quick.  I miss the Lock Monsters.  Leave Leights on the bench and if Cam gets out of line he can try to work him over again.  Ha ha ha. 

See I don't mind Leighton...yea he's not the greatest backup but he tries his hardest and usually always competes. Biron, on the other hand, is overpaid and doesn't always compete to the best of his abilities. I don't think Cam needs anyone to push him anyways. We have the right thing here...a fantastic number one goalie and a capable backup. 

Maurice just fails to use the backup enough. I completely blame the coach here. Just ridiculous. Ward will be worn out at the current rate of usage. 

Should've played tonight. Does Mo have a grudge against the kid or something?
you got to wonder, if you play Leights tonight just maybe Cam is fresh for Philly and San Jose.