The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

What to do about Leighton?

Absolutely agree with what is being said here.  Cam has played pretty well considering the circumstances.  However, even the best of goalies need someone who can step in between the pipes to give them a little downtime.  Leighton would be a great choice on the second half of back to backs.  Leighton needs the TOI to keep from getting rusty.  Plus, he could be a catalyst to keep Wardo at his best.  I'd hate to see Leighton traded because I think he is a solid backup goalie, but I agree that he deserves better than what he is getting here at the moment.  Hopefully Mo will start utilizing him the way other teams utilize their backup.

I think Leights should play Saturday and Cam on Sunday.

Your backup needs to get some ice time just stay sharp. Big difference seeing live action and practice.

I think Leights should play Saturday and Cam on Sunday.

Your backup needs to get some ice time just stay sharp. Big difference seeing live action and practice.

Agree that Leights really needs to play this weekend. Not so much because I feel sorry for him or that he needs to play to stay sharp but because Cam is starting to look like he needs a break physically and mentally. He looked like a true #1 sofar but digging all those pucks out of the net and constantly losing must be depressing too. I would also hope that it would give the team a big enough nudge to refocus on their defensive responsibilities because all those multiple goals in a few minutes are killing us.    

[quote name='happy.gifCarolinaGirl77 wrote:

caniac-97']

Well, for the moment we should congratulate him and his wife on the birth of their daughter in the wee hours of this morning happy.gifCongrats on the little one Leights!

[quote name='Evenstrength18 wrote:

happy.gif

CarolinaGirl77 wrote:

caniac-97']

Well, for the moment we should congratulate him and his wife on the birth of their daughter in the wee hours of this morning 
happy.gifCongrats on the little one Leights!

Nice!  Congrats!

Uh oh.  Daddy may be distracted, no?  Or maybe he won't "think" about stuff when he gets a chance to play this weekend (and I'm pretty sure he will), and he'll just be in the zone.  Wishful thinking.

My thoughts are Leighton should be played more!...period! I like Cam and he is an above average goalie but he can get tired too! We have a backup goalie that sits, and sits, and sits until we are so far behind, how can he jump in feeling confident in himself? As one other person said before, I am not a Mo fan. If you listen to him talk he only talks about being defensive. Now he is not talk about the defense but more in the way we play. We should be playing offensively; that's the only way to score goals.

I say Cam has lost 7 straight. Let's see what Leighton has. Give him a few starts now and see if the confidence is there. I play goalie myself and I know if I sub for another team it's harder to play because you don't know the team. This is what Leighton is going through. He only plays in practice and that is nothing like being in a game. He needs the ice time!!!!

PUT LEIGHTON IN AND LET HIM HAVE A SHOT!!!!!!

Congratulations Leighton, on one big stinker of a game today.  For those who wonder why we don't play Leighton and wonder why Mo has no faith in him, you need to look no further than today's game.  And please nobody say it was because he is rusty.  He looked lost in the fill-in role earlier in the year when Cam got ran and he looked like a deer in the headlights today.  Pitiful.   

Congratulations Leighton, on one big stinker of a game today.  For those who wonder why we don't play Leighton and wonder why Mo has no faith in him, you need to look no further than today's game.  And please nobody say it was because he is rusty.  He looked lost in the fill-in role earlier in the year when Cam got ran and he looked like a deer in the headlights today.  Pitiful.   
Yup.. And I was one who thought we should play Leights.  He looked lost and was lucky he didn't let a couple more in.

Okay-------Leighton played.

Now we turn the page on our worst October--------and move forward ! Maybe most of our injured/suspended players will be back

and we can begin our season in November. We can always hope.

Win or lose, they are still my Canes.  Go Canes !!

As usual, Leighton had tremendous rebound problems today. I of course believe he was rusty, but also you just can't excuse some of the ones he let in. Maybe being a new Dad was tough as well. Idk.

Just a tough day because I thought the team came out well...just no goalie to back them up like Philly had with Emery. And of course we can't finish ANYTHING.

God why do I have tickets for tomorrow's game? Just why?

sick.gifI hope JR is goalie shopping. That 6-1 loss should have been a 1-1 tie. At least he didn't bang his head on the cross-bar getting to the net at the beginning of the game. (only positive I could think of for that "performance")

There's actually a couple of people to blame for Leighton's play yesterday:

1. Blame Jim Rutherford. Leighton IS NOT a NHL-caliber goaltender. There's a reason that he has been on five different teams over the last five seasons. Every team has been enamored by his AHL statistics, only to find that his play there has never and will never translate into any type of consistent success in the NHL. It was a bad decision by Rutherford to make Leighton the back-up goaltender. With the way his career has progressed, Leighton would've probably been content with career stability in Albany.

2. Blame Paul Maurice. Regardless of the talent level of any player in the NHL, they'll lose a little bit if they have to sit on the bench for a month. Leighton should've had an opportunity to play before yesterday, and his first start should not have come one day after the birth of his daughter. Leighton may have WANTED to play, but it's the coach's job to make the logical decision and play the #1 goaltender with adequate rest.

3. Blame Michael Leighton. I won't completely deflect all of the blame for what happened yesterday. Leighton played like a goaltender that was clearly out of his league. The offense was only able to get one past Emery, so he needed to be perfect to give the team a chance to win and he was very far from it.

I don't want to sound like a Leighton apologist because, as I stated at the top of post, I didn't think he should've been in the NHL in the first place. I just look at it as someone who didn't have any business in the NHL, didn't have any business having to wait a month for his first start of the season, and didn't have any business starting the day after the birth of his daughter. His play on the ice can be squarely placed on his shoulders, but there are two other people that I would point to before I would point to Leighton.

I'll also add that I don't agree with some that say, "if we had another goaltender in there we could've competed". Just look at Ward's performance against St. Louis (four goals-against on 17 shots-on-goal). Sadly, Leighton played statistically better against Philadelphia than Ward did against St. Louis. There really isn't one player to blame for what has happened thus far this season, it's everybody within the organization.

Let's imagine Cam not playing any games for the past year and a half then getting thrown in under a bus that is this team. We are #29 of 30 teams in goals against. All this talk for years about how Cam needs to develop getting two entire seasons of below average play to get into form. Cam played bad game after bad game to find his form.

Leighton did not just play well in the minors, he tore it up.

Look, Leighton is not as good as Cam, but then again he is the back up. I blame Mo for this one. If you want your backup to have any chance of competing he needs to play more than once a decade.

It isn't a matter of "Leighton hasn't played enough, so of course he isn't playing well". He's not playing well because he's not an NHL caliber goaltender. Throughout his career (and it's been a long one), he's "tore it up" in the AHL and gotten destroyed in the NHL. The Blackhawks played him for 34 games one season, and he put up about the same stats as he did last year, playing 19.

There hasn't been a single year in his NHL career that he's put up good numbers. Yet you look at his minor league stats and he's dominated. He's a career AHLer, just one of those players that can't seem to translate their game to the NHL. Look no further than former Cane, Keith Aucoin, for the perfect example of that.

I too was one of the folks that thought Leights should play apparently he's not NHL ready. I always thought Cam should have a good veteran back-up netminder but for whatever reason that hasn't happen.