The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kb2ehj

Ray Whitney leaving?

I am hearing that Montreal is "considering a serious offer for theKostitsyn Brothers." I am hearing that the Carolina Hurricanes may bethe leading candidate with Whitney possibly going the other way.

i have not seen either of them play, so i should(will) not make an opinion. However..

If JR did this, then it will indicate that he is looking for the future. Both are young, and will provide able scoring (on paper) for years to come.

I like ray though...but his input has to be well considered (NTC) so its really up to him

don't we already have enough middle of the road players. I mean it would be good for kostopolous to have some familiar faces but to give up one of our normally main producers for two guys who contribute about as well as the rest of our team normally does, doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I think we need to package whitney with someone else and get a more consistent scorer.

not to be negative, but don't we already have enough middle of the road players. I mean it would be good for kostopolous to have some familiar faces but to give up one of our normally main producers for two guys who contribute about as well as the rest of our team normally does, doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I think we need to package whitney with someone else and get a more consistent scorer.
Agreed, if there's any truth to the Whitney rumors and he's willing to waive his NTC, JR better get full value back since he's our most valued asset right now.

Has Eklund been reading CanesCountry again?

about Eklund;

Someone posted an article that basically went through and proved that Eklund gets things right about 3% of the time, and his sources are boogus. Could you please post that article again? It was very informative

Look, he's 37, he's in the last year of his contract. If we're going to get something for Whitney, now is the time to do it. He's one of the few players on our team who might get us some value in return (as opposed to prospects or picks).

Would I pull the trigger on this yet?

No, probably not. We're only 14 games into the season and it's not quite a lost cause yet. But by the end of November, if we're still stuck at the bottom of our division/conference, then yes, definitely. Trade him and get someone of value to set the stage for 2010-2011.

Let's not forget that we traded Ron Francis and Glen Wesley at the end of their careers as well. Sometimes the player prefers a deal to try and make a Cup run with a contender.

These guys have both demoted to the fourth line from time to time because of their lack of work ethic. Last season there was some talk of these guys hanging out with members of organized crime. At the beginning of the year one of them was sent to the minors to work on his attitude, and then he refused to report. They sound like guys Montreal would be glad to be rid of.  

I meant to include a previous response about trading Whitney for the Kotitsyn brothers.

We have to keep in mind this is only a rumor and as far as I know not sourced. I still am very doubtful that Whitney is the focus of a trade but he has value and that makes him a  focus for speculation.  I'm still of the belief that a trade will happen soon but not sure who it will involve. If it's Whit so be it but if not I for one will be happy to see him stay.

Deals for players of Whitney's stature and age most often happen nearer the trade deadline, when the contenders are pretty much determined, and those teams look to add veteran players in key roles. Plus, I just don't see JR moving Whitney any time in the near future.  Particularly for more of the same from someone like the Kostystin bro's. 

Deals for players of Whitney's stature and age most often happen nearer the trade deadline, when the contenders are pretty much determined, and those teams look to add veteran players in key roles. Plus, I just don't see JR moving Whitney any time in the near future.  Particularly for more of the same from someone like the Kostystin bro's. 

I think your absolutely right. If Whitney gets traded it will be near the deadline and only if we are out of the hunt or we desperately need the type of player only a Whitney trade would get us.

Now that we are sending Boychuk back to Albany my guess is Whitney is ready to return to the lineup. If you read the rumours it appears there is a lot of interest in Whitney.

Well that would just beat all... One of the only guys playing well right now and we deal him away...Go Canes
I still think Whitney stays with us. I think his name has been floated so much on rumour boards that everyone is trying to make the most of it. But with the way this team is going you don't know. 

Forslund is saying staal has a nagging injury. I'm guessing shoulder.

Based purely on performance, I'm guessing it's his old bugaboo: Blindness around the net!

I think that Mr,. Ray Whitney is our one constant possative hard working player . Yes he is 37 but, I dont blame him personaly as a player . And , yes the losses do come from younger players and advanced coaching minds which we dont have in a head coach . Other youth in the league is taking our veteran players to school thats why Boychuck , Bowman , Mcbaine and our new drafted youngsters needs to get on it now .  I see that they are not the size of Crosby in 2005 or Stamkos in 2008 and not like the first , second or third in this past draft but, look at Marty St. Louise down in Tampa Bay or Danny Breire in Philly . We need Ray to replace Brind amour as our captain and we need to go after a great rested player such as a Peter Forsberg . Try not to be cheap skates . Go after a Perry , Kunitz , Horton , Williams back the combo top line could produce . Its all about the right combonations.