The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kb2ehj

Is it time for Jim Rutherford to retire?

Retire? Probably not. He could probably (actually, definitely) find another job if we let him go.

Now, whether or not we should let him go is another story. His moves this offseason certainly didn't help his case, and while some of his previous signings seemed intelligent at the time, now they're just turning sour on him. And then there's his draft history, which would probably be the strongest case against him should it be argued. Sutter is the first pick in...forever...that's shown any signs of being NHL ready.

Seriously, there's a laundry list of players that we've drafted since 2000 that have amounted to jacksquat.

2000: Tomáš Kůrka - early 2nd round. We traded our 1st rounder to Colorado

2001: Igor Knyazev - 1st round. Never played a single NHL game.

2001: Michael Zigomanis - 2nd round. Fringe NHL player.

2002: Ward drafted in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing

2003: Staal in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing. Danny Richmond was the 1st pick of the 2nd round, before Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber.

2004: Ladd in the 1st round, followed by 3 rounds of fringe NHLers and then 4 rounds of nothing.

2005: Jack Johnson in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing.

6 drafts, 54 rounds, coming up with a grand total of 2 NHL-caliber players playing for Carolina.

Retire? Probably not. He could probably (actually, definitely) find another job if we let him go.

Now, whether or not we should let him go is another story. His moves this offseason certainly didn't help his case, and while some of his previous signings seemed intelligent at the time, now they're just turning sour on him. And then there's his draft history, which would probably be the strongest case against him should it be argued. Sutter is the first pick in...forever...that's shown any signs of being NHL ready.

Seriously, there's a laundry list of players that we've drafted since 2000 that have amounted to jacksquat.

2000: Tomáš Kůrka - early 2nd round. We traded our 1st rounder to Colorado

2001: Igor Knyazev - 1st round. Never played a single NHL game.

2001: Michael Zigomanis - 2nd round. Fringe NHL player.

2002: Ward drafted in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing

2003: Staal in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing. Danny Richmond was the 1st pick of the 2nd round, before Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber.

2004: Ladd in the 1st round, followed by 3 rounds of fringe NHLers and then 4 rounds of nothing.

2005: Jack Johnson in the 1st round, followed by 8 rounds of nothing.

6 drafts, 54 rounds, coming up with a grand total of 2 NHL-caliber players playing for Carolina.

Is that all his fault, or does that reflect on the quality of our scouts?

I don't know if it's time to retire, but it is time to make some hard decisions.

If this season is lost (and I don't see how it can be saved), find a way to rebuild now and don't drag this thing out for seasons.  This franchise will not survive here with several rebuilding years. 

The writing's on the wall J.R.

Sure. Let's replace him with one of the other GMs in the league who have led their team to 3 conference finals, 2 SC finals, and have won a Cup in the last 9 years.

I'm not so sure I'm ready to pin this mess all on JR just yet but I will blame him if nothing gets addressed soon.  Yesterday's game should have given him all the information he needed about what will happen when Cole and Ruutu return to the line up.  Gleason coming back will help restructure that mess we call our defense but the problem this team is having runs far deeper than what one player can fix.

Ask and you shall receive smile.gif

And now, a word from our GM 

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15744

Since I was pretty optimistic with JR's signings over the summer I'm not going to turn into a hypocrite and turn on him. Looks like he has been checking around but either found no one worthy of a difference maker or other GMs are asking way too much in return. I also agree with JR about calling up the "young guns". I'd prefer if they got more time to mature so they can gain some confidence to be able to make a difference when the time comes. Besides, I highly doubt that Jr or Mo would put them into a position or give them a lot of ice time or hype them or count on them to carry the team. Speaking of Mo, anyone else notice that JR did not address coaching at all?

While I don't have J.R. in the cross-hairs for this whole mess, I will say he definitely has a hand in it.  Of course I'd have to say the players and coaching staff are the main culprits here.  There's enough of this team left from a ECF team not to be next to last in the league (last place team is 1 pt. behind and has a game in hand).  J.R. can't possibly be so horrible a GM that he made those guys forget how to play hockey.  J.R. has made some great moves (like trading for Jussi) but has made some signings and contract extensions that haven't worked out.  Signing Mo to a 3 year deal was too long if he was going to be signed at all.  I know he was at the wheel when the team got to the ECF's and probably earned something, but a 3 year deal?  It seems to me that the team has laid down on Mo.  If that's the case, the team leaders should have been able to shed some light at the post season meetings on their relationships with Mo. 

I'd be willing to bet that practice was cancelled today and J.R. has Mo on the carpet.

Sure. Let's replace him with one of the other GMs in the league who have led their team to 3 conference finals, 2 SC finals, and have won a Cup in the last 9 years.

Thank you. A crappy record over 13 games sure does have an affect on memory.

And it is those above stats that have made this team a success in the woeful south.  He has certainly made a lot of very brilliant decisions for our team.  

He has a part in this too but not worthy of getting rid of him.  I would imagine he would have many options if that were to happen.

No.  I haven't seen anything that would indicate JR isn't willing to make the tough decisions and take steps to correct problems. His decisions may not always be popular but he will make the moves he thinks will help. IMO he built this team for MO and to give the vets one more chance to make a run at the playoffs before rebuilding next year.  It hasn't worked out so JR will act and act soon.

krad: Speaking of Mo, anyone else notice that JR did not address coaching at all?

I'd say the lack of talking about the coaches is a clear indication that everyone including the coaching staff is under review. Silence is never a vote of confidence IMO.

I've been saying it for several seasons, and I'll say it again. Something needs to be done with Rutherford. Granted, I understand that the players and coaches have a huge responsibility in this hole we've created, but Rutherford is the one who signs off on these players and coaches. I'm glad Rutherford has gotten the good players we have. I think we DO have a team of talented, capable players, but do they all work right together? I'm not so sure.

And, as someone else mentioned, when it comes to draft time, how often has Rutherford bagged us players of worth? Staal, Ward and Ladd come to mind (remember, we were supposed to build a team around the three of them), but Ladd is gone, and Staal and Ward are waning under a team that isn't cohesive and isn't built to support them (unlike Crosby in Pittsburgh and Ovechkin in Washington). We've been trying to address our aging team for a few seasons now, and yet we aren't getting younger players in like we need. And the ones we do get are sent straight to Albany, and some don't come back from it. Yet, time after time, we have a corp of Rats who come up here and energize the heck out of the team when necessary. They deserve more respect than they get sometimes.

I think at this point we need to address youth, speed, and skill. Rutherford has shown that he needs work in this area. If there were another GM that could work better on these things, I'd say kick Rutherford to the curb. BUT, maybe, just maybe the issues have finally come to a head and Rutherford will see the path he should have been on all along. Maybe this will be the catalyst to get him to finally address the real problems, and not be afraid to see heads roll. I'd miss some of my favorite players, but if they need to be dealt to help us build the team we know we are capable of having (with some of our stars and veterans included, lets not be rid of them all) then it might be the right choice.

This could be Rutherford's shining hour, or his biggest mistake. Let's see how he handles this.

Heck a few months ago we all thought he did a great job with the signings JR made. It all looked good on paper and if we were to look there again(on paper) without knowing the outcome so far this year we would all feel like we did a couple months ago. When it comes down to it,,,it's on the players and coaches. JR can't forsee us not being able to put the puck in the net. We go out and sign guys that were in contrct years that gave it there all last year and aren't doing a darn thing this year. Sign a few new guys for different reasons and they aren't holding up their ends of the bargin. JR isn't on the ice the players are and that is whom i say is accountable. As for the coaches, our PP, hasn't worked for years, change the plan or whomever is coaching it(aka Ron Francis).If this style of play isn't working,,,change it. A good coach should have a few more things to try,if not change the coach.(coaches). But like i said earlier,JR ISN'T ON THE ICE,,,THE PLAYERS ARE AND THEY ARE NOT DOING THEY'RE JOBS,,,,PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Geat point.  I am sure that JR is just as shocked as most of the fans that this team is not producing.  I know i for one was excited about the signings during the off season.  It is the team and coaching that needs to be fixed and that is something that he should work on.

Since we have at least 3 threads devoted to this topic (playing GM, JR retire, fix this mess) I guess this is as good a place as any to say this.

I really wonder what went on in J.R.'s office today?  Who was called in?  What was said?  I know we'll never know, but it's interesting to speculate.

Who would we get in return? that's kind of a scary thought. As critical as I have been of JR over the years, I have the upmost respect for him because he helped build this team into a Stanley Cup Championship winning franchise, and for that I am forever grateful. There are times I do disagree with him on some of his moves, contracts, etc. but I trust that he'll make something work.

JR has put the personnel in place to win a cup. We know this. I don't remember hearing too many naysayers with the acquisitions and resignings we made. The problem isn't the GM, or the coaching, or the players themselves; the problem is theplayers have zero confidence in themselves and each other and have now dug themselves such a huge hole,that staring out of it seems impossible considering virtually everyone had high expectations of this season. I think theplayers need to go through some sort of "mourning" period where theyrealize this isn't going to be a magical season. They need to just go out there and HAVE FUN and not worry about producing. They have some of the best jobs in the world and I think they've forgotten how to enjoy themselves. If they relax and try to enjoy themselves the production should take care of itself. But, it has to start with Cam.

Regardless, JR is taking responsibility and will do whatever he can to help the team through this tough time.

End thread.

NO !  I think JR is as shrewed and thoughtful a GM as we are likely will find. He built this franchise in Raleigh and has more of a vested interest in it's success than we will find anywhere else !!

He will find a way to improve the situation, one way or the other. Keep the faith, folks.    GO CANES !!

This topic is laughable. And thank God many of the commenters have made excellent points in JR's favor. When I see things like this, I just think back to the off-season when we all (or at least most of us) thought JR was a genius with most of the moves he made. But now that the season is basically in the crapper, some are quick to blame our failures on those very same moves. As cliche as it is, it's very true that hindsight is 20/20.

Bottom line: This doesn't lie on JR. It lies on the players. They are the ones on the ice. They are the ones with sticks in their hands. They are the only ones with the ability to put the puck in the net and put numbers on the board. For whatever reason, this isn't the team JR (or any of us) thought we had. Now, with his statement yesterday, it's obvious he's aware that something has to give. Let's just hope he can fix it.

I agree he should stay...but what off-season moves really excited everyone on here really....stephane Yelle, bringing back aaron Ward, andrew Alberts? More solid defense corps was needed , and less recycling of players (i.e, bringing back aaron ward).

Ultimately it is the player snot producing, and I'd point at Staal first, this team is prone to lousy starts, but this has gotten to a point where even a turnaround come even December might be too late.

I wouldn't clean house, but I'd question certain things like Rod's future here, giving Brandon Sutter a bigger role, and getting some players who are willing to go down to block a shot on the PK,lol.

I dont need to post, you can select one of the other heck no posts and use it for mine.

The 2 SC's and 3 ECF's post does it best though.

QFT>> and I would add: While staying under the self imposed salary cap of a small market team, and who is A PART OWNER of the franchise.

Drafting is largely in the hands of scouts particularly when you are talking about rds 3-199 and motivation and cohesiveness of players is largely the responsibility of the coaching staff. JR certainly has made his share of mistakes and he usually rectifies them. My question is this to the JR haters; If not him, who is the proven GM you are going to bring in that has a better resum'e??? This franchise can not/ will not be around for 5 years of rebuilding like Toronto or Vancouver...

Who? 

JR is an exceptional GM for this team in this market. Is he perfect, of course not, but better than many. The results speak for themselves.

I haven't seen it elsewhere yet, so I will post the link to the N&O story/interview here: link

In short, he

1. calls out the players: "...It's very disappointing to watch a team that has the ability to win find ways to lose."

2. realizes he screwed up with too short a pre-season: "I take full responsibility for what's happened," Rutherford said. "Theplayers probably were not in game shape with too few preseason games.It worked in that our injuries were down, but we were not in gameshape."

3. backs the coaching staff: "I watched training camp. I've talked to the players. That is what the players wanted."

4. misses Seids and Babs: "...it's hard to lose both in the same year and the points they brought to the table"

In retrospect, I think the offseason signing blunders would be Aaron Ward and Yelle. So far Ward has been a shadow of his former self; Seids would have been much better money spent (though we did unload Eaves as part of that deal to keep the $ down). Signing Yelle made it clear there would be no real competition in camp, which made the shorter camp more feasible. Both of these may yet pan out, especially if Ward can pick it up, but right now these stand out as setting us up for where we are now. Hindsight is 20/20, of course; these moves looked good at the time to a lot of people.