The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes29-ch1

Eric Staal out for a few game per JR

Rutherford: Staal to miss some games

Canes center Eric Staal will miss some games because of an upper-body injury suffered Sunday against the San Jose Sharks, general manager Jim Rutherford said today.

Staal has played in 349 consecutive regular-season games, but that streak will end, Rutherford said. He has missed just one game in his career, late in his rookie season.

Staal left after the second period of the 5-1 loss to San Jose as the Canes dropped their ninth straight game to fall to 2-8-3.

Staal's injury comes just as forward Erik Cole returns from a leg fracture after missing 10 games. Rutherford said defenseman Tim Gleason, who has been sidelined with a lower-body injury, should return Wednesday for the Florida Panthers game.

"When things go wrong, they go wrong," Rutherford said. "All teams have to deal with injuries. We have enough players to step up but we'll have to do it with confidence at an all-time low."

I really don't see Staal's absence being a big deal. I like Staal, but we have players that imo are much better and as long as the rest of the team steps it up a notch we should be ok. That's the issue we have at hand right now though...the team stepping it up a notch or 2 or 3 at this point.

Thank you Staalie :-) Coaches and JR ... It has been painful to watch Eric play lately... The frustration level was obvious and growing... Players need to step up... Staal is not a "1 man band" LETS GO CANES Let's see what this team is really made of... No Excuses. Staal needs to heal and be 100%

I think that Staal has been playing hurt and he's only sitting out now because they realize that keeping him in the lineup obviously isn't paying any dividends.  Get him healthy and bring up some of the highly skilled Rats. We need to get younger and as much as I hate to say it, next season is likely the only time we can get our offense turned around.  Same may have to happen with A.Ward.  We thought he could come in and provide some really good defense while guys like Carson, Borer, Rodney and McBain developed, but for whatever reason he's been playing pretty poorly.

I think this is a good thing. When players get on these iron man streaks, I think they tend to play through things they shouldn't. Eric was rumored to have a shoulder problem during his slow start last year, too. Now that the streak is over, he can fully heal and not worry so much about taking a game or two where needed in the future.

In the meantime, Cullen can step up, and with Sutter already up we don't have a center shortage.

I really don't see Staal's absence being a big deal. I like Staal, but we have players that imo are much better and as long as the rest of the team steps it up a notch we should be ok. That's the issue we have at hand right now though...the team stepping it up a notch or 2 or 3 at this point.
I agree with you that we will be ok if other players step it up, but Im just baffled that you would think anyone on this team is better than Staal, please give me examples.