The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

How would you fix this mess?

canes4ever wrote: Lets look at the current state of affairs in Canesville. How do we clean up this mess. Here are some ideas I came up with.

1. Fire Maurice. Jim you fired him once you know how to do that. Why did you bring him back in the first place. especially when John Tortorella was available.? Who is a much better coach. Cup count Tortoella 1 Maurice 0. That says it all.

2. Staal. super star NO. Average maybe. I have yet to see him lead. Look an Inginla in Calgary. he has the guts to back up his mouth and rally the troops. Staal runs his mouth when the linesmen and his teammates are between him and an opponent. The gloves stay on and a man sticks up for him. If preformed my job as poorly has he does, I am out the door. He needs to prove to me that he is what we are told he his. Sutter is only one goal behind him. Think about it.

3. Cammy- glasses might help that way he can see what is going on around him. granted the D sucks I really felt that with Aaron Ward coming back the D would be ok NOT. Also Corvo is not doing what we were told he could do SCORE what is his . I am glad I have not bought a ticket to a game yet. At least I can turn the TV off and not feel obligated to spend $30.00 at the consession stand.

Don't get me wrong fellow caniacs, I love the canes it just hurts to the soul how bad things are going right now. I pray daily that I will wake up and October was just a bad dream.

Well - that is a good question.   Although I would just blow up the team, I know that isn't a possibility -- so let's see if I can make some move that might actually help the team:

1 - Send Harrison down to Albany (already waived) and bring up Brian Rodney (I'd leave McBain and let him get experience, but he'd be my next call-up)

2 - Make the defense pairings: Corvo/Ward, Pitkanen/Gleason, Rodney/Alberts or Wallin

3 - Make 1 trade - but not Whitney -- Rosie, Sammy,  maybe even Corvo

4 - Bring up Boychuk, especially now that Staal is going to miss some time - let's see what he can do to help motivate the team

5 - I'd move Brind'amour to 4th line duties - love the guy, but worst on the team and should not be playing 20 minutes a night

6 - Give Sutter approx 15 minutes a night - 3rd line if at all possible - he is not ready for top two lines, but may be needed in Staals absense

7 - DO NOT use Yelle to cover as Staals replacement - rather see Boychuk tried out with Staal out for a few games

8 - Pray I've done enough -- we might need one more 'kid' from Albany up here, but let's try 1-7 above.

If this doesn't work - blow up the team at trade deadline and start the re-build already!

Lose----- A.Ward, Yelle,Kostopalis(sp?) Leighton,,,  all have hurt the team more than helped or have been about invisable.(trade,waive whatever)

Bring up whatever Rats JR seems to think is ready or close to it.

Bring in someone to get our PP going.

Get a good backup goaltender.

Look to trade some of our older guys that may be able to help another team(out of our division) get into the playoffs.

Start to transition into a younger faster team, but that still have the grit that is needed to compete.

1.  Strip the 'C' and give it to Whitney or Staal.  Staal doesn't really deserve it right now, but in the past....he certainly has.  He is greater than mediocre.....I think there is some funky psychological stuff there holding him back.  See Remkin's post about that conspiracy....

2.  Get rid of Harrison.  The rest of our defense is ok, I think they're just frustrated.  Don't pair Pits with Gleason....keep our 2 best defensemen together???? No friggin way.  Bring up McBain, and pair him with Alberts.  Scratch Wallin.

3.  Bring up Boychuk while Staal is out, and flank him on Sutter....they're cronies you know?

4.  Trade bait Cullen or LaRose or Scorevo and future draft pick for a 1st line sniper.

5.  4th line Brindy, and move up Kostopolous....Tommy came to play.

6.  Kick the teams butts.  Make them skate end to end for an hour for every goal the other teams score.(sarcasm)

Look, the effort has been there against Philly and St. Louis.  It was a mess against San Jose.  The guys are trying, but things just aren't working. Some of these losses I attribute to facing a hot goalie, but some of the others.......eeeeeek.  I do think Staal has been in pain all season, just hasn't looked normal yet.  When he heals, and the pucks start dropping, we'll be ok.  

My lines til' Staal is back?

Whitney, Cullen, Cole

Ruutu, Sutter, Boychuk

Walker, Jussi, Kostopolous

Samsonov, Brindy, LaRose

D Pairings

Pitkanen/Ward

Gleason/Corvo

Wallin or McBain/Alberts

Real simple. Stay the course for the time being. Throw the feelers out there, find out which teams are interested in players on the team, and try and work out a deal (or at least establish contact with the team's GM before the trade deadline).

If we're going the full rebuild route, there are three people we keep on the team: Staal, Ward, and Pitkanen. 4 if you consider Sutter to be a permanent stay on the team now. Everyone else is acquirable at the right price.

Our three best trade bait players at the moment are Whitney, Ruutu, and Corvo. Both Whitney and Corvo could earn a low 1st/high 2nd at the trade deadline. Ruutu, with the contract he's got, will earn a 1st rounder, a mid rounder and a prospect. Or we could decide to keep him.

Out of respect to Brindamour and the many years of service to the team, he won't be traded unless he specifically asks for it as another chance to win the Cup with another team (sort of what the team did with Francis). Should he stay, he will be relegated to 4th line duties and he'll serve the more mentorish role to Sutter. The one aspect of the game that he still has that no one else on the team does is his domination in the faceoff circle. If he can teach Staal or Sutter even half of what he knows, he'll have done his job.

Other than that, it's as I said. Stay the course until closer to the deadline, then have a complete firesale for picks and prospects. Replace those traded with callups. Dwyer needs another chance, as does Ryan. And the many defensive prospects that have been stuck down there also need a chance.

If all goes to plan, by the end of the year, we'll have earned a Top 5 spot in the draft, and have a better idea of what prospects are NHL-ready and which ones still need more time. Using those answers will also give us a better idea of who to grab in FA to fix the holes.

2. Staal. super star NO. Average maybe. I have yet to see him lead. Look an Inginla in Calgary. he has the guts to back up his mouth and rally the troops. Staal runs his mouth when the linesmen and his teammates are between him and an opponent. The gloves stay on and a man sticks up for him. If preformed my job as poorly has he does, I am out the door. He needs to prove to me that he is what we are told he his. Sutter is only one goal behind him. Think about it.

I have to take exception to this statement.  Staal definitely hasn't had the best start to the season, but to question his overall ability as a player and a leader based off of this start is asinine.  Without Staal, this team DOES NOT win the Stanley Cup in '05-'06.  Alot of people don't remember just how average that team played down the stretch and early in the playoffs that season.  If not for Staal's overtime winner against Montreal in game three, the Hurricanes probably wouldn't have even made it out of the first-round.  If not for his game-tying goal with three seconds left against New Jersey, that series could've gone in a completely different direction.  He led the team in points that postseason and could've easily won the Conn Smythe ahead of Cam Ward and most people wouldn't have been surprised.  In both '06-'07 and '07-'08, the team started out slow and was only able to compete down the stretch due to the play of Ward and...Eric Staal.  Last season, was the same story and Eric Staal once again carried this team down the stretch and into the playoffs.  When this franchise has been on the cusp of "down and out", it has been Staal and Ward that have pulled them out and back into relevancy.  Not the "captain", not Ruutu, not Cole, not Whitney, not LaRose, not Cullen, not Corvo, not Gleason, etc.  It's been Staal and Ward every year for the last four years.  That's why they are considered "franchise" players, that's why they are the guys the Hurricanes need to build around for the future, and that is why I consider both "superstars" in the NHL.

As for the topic.

1.  Fire Paul Maurice and promote Tom Rowe to head coach.

2.  Name Staal captain, Brind'Amour and Whitney alternate captains.

3.  Trade impending UFAs (Corvo, Walker, Ward, and Yelle) by the deadline.

4.  Trade or waive under-performing veterans (Leighton, Samsonov, and Wallin).

5.  Call-up Boychuk, Carson, Dwyer, Peters, and Rodney to fill the line-up.

Finish the season with this line-up (in my world):

Whitney / Staal / Cole

Jokinen / Cullen / Ruutu

Boychuk / Sutter / LaRose

Kostopoulos / Brind'Amour / Dwyer

Gleason / Pitkanen

Alberts / Rodney

Carson / Harrison

Ward

Peters

6.  Use the rest of this season to build chemistry and give the prospects valuable experience.

7.  In free agency, look to re-sign Cullen and Whitney at discounts if possible.

8.  Use the rest of the available salary to address the first-line and defense.

9.  At the draft, use the additional draft picks acquired through trades to replenish the prospect pool.

Next season's line-up (in my world):

Ruutu / Staal / Frolov

Whitney / Cullen / Cole

Bowman / Sutter/ Boychuk

Kostopoulos / Brind'Amour / LaRose

Gleason / Pitkanen

Carson / Hamhuis

Alberts / Rodney

Ward

Peters

I don't think there is an "instant cure" for what is hurting this team, which is years of reliance on veteran players to carry the weight.  While I don't think you phase out the veterans completely, I do think it's time you use their experience to educate the next generation of Hurricanes.

[quote name='Staal-to-Frolov wrote:

canes4ever']2. Staal. super star NO. Average maybe. I have yet to see him lead. Look an Inginla in Calgary. he has the guts to back up his mouth and rally the troops. Staal runs his mouth when the linesmen and his teammates are between him and an opponent. The gloves stay on and a man sticks up for him. If preformed my job as poorly has he does, I am out the door. He needs to prove to me that he is what we are told he his. Sutter is only one goal behind him. Think about it.

I have to take exception to this statement. 

Finish the season with this line-up (in my world):

Whitney / Staal / Cole

Jokinen / Cullen / Ruutu

Boychuk / Sutter / LaRose

Kostopoulos / Brind'Amour / Dwyer

Gleason / Pitkanen

Alberts / Rodney

Carson / Harrison????

Ward

Peters

6.  Use the rest of this season to build chemistry and give the prospects valuable experience.

7.  In free agency, look to re-sign Cullen and Whitney at discounts if possible.

8.  Use the rest of the available salary to address the first-line and defense.

9.  At the draft, use the additional draft picks acquired through trades to replenish the prospect pool.

Next season's line-up (in my world):

Ruutu / Staal / Frolov

Whitney / Cullen / Cole

Bowman / Sutter/ Boychuk

Kostopoulos / Brind'Amour / LaRose

Gleason / Pitkanen

Carson / Hamhuis

Alberts / Rodney

Ward

Peters

I don't think there is an "instant cure" for what is hurting this team, which is years of reliance on veteran players to carry the weight.  While I don't think you phase out the veterans completely, I do think it's time you use their experience to educate the next generation of Hurricanes.

I can't believe you keep Harrison, and put Pits and Gleason together.  I agree with you about Staal...think he's been playing hurt......again. 

The first firing should be the team psychologist.  Two years in a row of a bunch of guys who cannot deal with adversity without becoming headcases.

I just don't see us firing the coach.  It would be a unwise financial decision to pay three coaches this year especially when we are on our way to losing a lot of single game ticket revenue.  I know Mo is not very popular with many fans, I guess I am a second chance believer but why him?  What has Francis done?  He certainly has not improved our power play and I think he's had enough time.  I am not defending Mo but if we are pointing fingers behind the bench - they are all responsible. 

I am not a fan of stripping the C.  I know it is a controversial topic but I just don't understand why anyone thinks it has magical powers that will change anything.  I fear that taking the C of a highly respected player in the room would cause more turmoil.  Besides, what is so special about a letter on a jersey that makes people believe that is our answer?   If we are stripping it from Rod because of our record this year, then who the heck has earned it this year?  Staal doesn't need the added pressure and besides he already has an A on his jersey, what difference is a C going to make?  The bottom line is we have a lot of veterans and leadership in our locker room.  You do not need that letter to be a leader.  I just don't see this making a hill of beans of a difference.  Just my probably unpopular opinion. But I bet if we take a page from the Islanders and have the team vote for the Captain, I would bet my season tickets it stays right where it is.  With that said, while I think stripping a letter is disrespectful, I don't think a trade is. I do think Rod had value in his experience and yes leadership.  I'm just not sure his value is as high as his salary.

It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback.  The majority of our fan base did not have any issues with the moves or lack of moves made in the off season.  That was because we believed we had the right skills and experience to continue our run with only a few minor changes.  We still have those players, they just aren't playing up to their potential, no where near it.  I can believe the "they are getting older" excuse to a point but not in five months.  I believe our problems at this point are mental, not age. 

If a nine game losing streak is not a wake up call, then neither will a firing or a trade or exchange of jersey letters.  These guys need to work it out on their own. 

With that said, I was all for leaving the pups in Albany this year to allow them to develop.  I did not feel Boychuk was ready for the NHL based on what I saw in camp but at this point I'll take his "I'm going to work my butt off and take a spot away from a veteran player" attitude over anyone right now.  Staal is out, I say give him a chance to do it now.  Besides, it will give us fans something to look forward to because I certainly am not looking forward to going to the next game to see the same crapola I have witnessed.  Bring up whoever.  There is something to be said about giving these kids time with our vets too.  A lot of these guy are not going to be here next year (notice I said next year, not next season LOL). I seem to remember Yelle talking about mentoring the kids when he was signed.  We didn't give him anyone to mentor!  If we are losing the season let's not lose the opportunity to expose these kids to the experiences of the old guys, I mean veterans. 

Make them work it out.  No one gets a ticket out of this hole.  Make them play and fight their way out.  Even up the minutes.  If they want more minutes, they have to produce. 

If we're going the full rebuild route, there are three people we keep on the team: Staal, Ward, and Pitkanen. 4 if you consider Sutter to be a permanent stay on the team now. Everyone else is acquirable at the right price.

Out of respect to Brindamour and the many years of service to the team, he won't be traded unless he specifically asks for it as another chance to win the Cup with another team (sort of what the team did with Francis). Should he stay, he will be relegated to 4th line duties and he'll serve the more mentorish role to Sutter. The one aspect of the game that he still has that no one else on the team does is his domination in the faceoff circle. If he can teach Staal or Sutter even half of what he knows, he'll have done his job.

Build around Staal and Ward. We should keep everyone who is young (Sutter) or consistent (Pitkanen & Whitney).

Brind'Amour has been struggling for the first time in the circle. I say we focus on trading him first and foremost. He is getting paid too much to be sitting around mentoring.

I really like Pitkanen, Jussi and Sammy but if I had to to pick which one to keep I would go with Pitkanen 2nd choice Jussi (for shootouts).

I can't believe you keep Harrison, and put Pits and Gleason together.  I agree with you about Staal...think he's been playing hurt......again.    

I keep him for the sole purpose that there isn't really anyone else to put there.  McBain could use the rest of the season in Albany, Borer is still injured, and any other call-ups wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

The first firing should be the team psychologist.  Two years in a row of a bunch of guys who cannot deal with adversity without becoming headcases.

I just don't see us firing the coach.  It would be a unwise financial decision to pay three coaches this year especially when we are on our way to losing a lot of single game ticket revenue.  I know Mo is not very popular with many fans, I guess I am a second chance believer but why him?  What has Francis done?  He certainly has not improved our power play and I think he's had enough time.  I am not defending Mo but if we are pointing fingers behind the bench - they are all responsible. 

I am not a fan of stripping the C.  I know it is a controversial topic but I just don't understand why anyone thinks it has magical powers that will change anything.  I fear that taking the C of a highly respected player in the room would cause more turmoil.  Besides, what is so special about a letter on a jersey that makes people believe that is our answer?   If we are stripping it from Rod because of our record this year, then who the heck has earned it this year?  Staal doesn't need the added pressure and besides he already has an A on his jersey, what difference is a C going to make?  The bottom line is we have a lot of veterans and leadership in our locker room.  You do not need that letter to be a leader.  I just don't see this making a hill of beans of a difference.  Just my probably unpopular opinion. But I bet if we take a page from the Islanders and have the team vote for the Captain, I would bet my season tickets it stays right where it is.  With that said, while I think stripping a letter is disrespectful, I don't think a trade is. I do think Rod had value in his experience and yes leadership.  I'm just not sure his value is as high as his salary.

It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback.  The majority of our fan base did not have any issues with the moves or lack of moves made in the off season.  That was because we believed we had the right skills and experience to continue our run with only a few minor changes.  We still have those players, they just aren't playing up to their potential, no where near it.  I can believe the "they are getting older" excuse to a point but not in five months.  I believe our problems at this point are mental, not age. 

If a nine game losing streak is not a wake up call, then neither will a firing or a trade or exchange of jersey letters.  These guys need to work it out on their own. 

With that said, I was all for leaving the pups in Albany this year to allow them to develop.  I did not feel Boychuk was ready for the NHL based on what I saw in camp but at this point I'll take his "I'm going to work my butt off and take a spot away from a veteran player" attitude over anyone right now.  Staal is out, I say give him a chance to do it now.  Besides, it will give us fans something to look forward to because I certainly am not looking forward to going to the next game to see the same crapola I have witnessed.  Bring up whoever.  There is something to be said about giving these kids time with our vets too.  A lot of these guy are not going to be here next year (notice I said next year, not next season LOL). I seem to remember Yelle talking about mentoring the kids when he was signed.  We didn't give him anyone to mentor!  If we are losing the season let's not lose the opportunity to expose these kids to the experiences of the old guys, I mean veterans. 

Make them work it out.  No one gets a ticket out of this hole.  Make them play and fight their way out.  Even up the minutes.  If they want more minutes, they have to produce. 

This is about the most logical, thoughtful post I've seen about our many problems.  I agree wholeheartedly with the "make them work it out" comment.  Or, as Cher said in Moonstruck:  SNAP OUT OF IT!  For heavens sake, these are professional, veteran hockey players.  They know how to play the game.  Do it.

Staal has obviously been playing hurt.  Yesterday it finally caught up with him.  He needs to take the time he needs to recover - completely.

Harrison needs to go. Somewhere else.  He is awful.  

I certainly thought we made the right moves in the off season.  I certainly thought our team was strengthened, not weakened, from last year.  I am not going to second guess JR or even the coaching staff at this point.  I'm a fan, I'm not an expert.  But all this commentary from everyone from us to the sports writers to JR to the coaches about the "fragility" of this team and their lack of confidence:  CUT. IT. OUT.  Over. Done. You get paid a LOT of money to play a game.  Again I say:  SNAP OUT OF IT! 

And that is exactly what someone with authority should tell them.  Pronto.

I say wait until the trade deadline and have a fire sale.  I don't see us turning this around anytime soon.  It will likely just be too late.  Trade players who will bring the highest draft picks to go along with our top ten this year.  In the meantime bring up some Rats and evaluate fully who will be ready next year. 

I have to agree with the stay-the-course for now folks.  The market for trades probably just isn't there right now and we wouldn't get full value back for anyone we traded at this point of the season.  Faceoff-ch1 makes a good point about this same group of guys being the same group that played very well together 5 months ago, even age doesn't catch up that quickly (or so I'm hoping).

The whole point of keeping players like Boychuk and Bowman in Albany was to give them that solid year at the pro level to help them transition easier to the NHL.  Bringing them up now is a risk and I'm not willing to risk their development now.  If JR decides to go into rebuild, then he should wait till other GM's come calling, because they will as the real contenders start to emerge.  Once we get to the trade deadline, then the kids can come up and see what they can do.  By then they'll have had a good chunk of time spent in the AHL.

Coaching is the one thing I'm not sure about and I'm not quite as ready to hang Maurice as some here because Laviolette had the exact same problems with almost the exact same group of players.  Obviously whatever coaching strategy is being used isn't working but what haven't they tried yet?  It all comes back to the players on the ice and after where they finished last season, it shouldn't take a whole new coaching staff to motivate them. 

I also agree with Faceoff-ch1 about the captaincy.  Staal doesn't need the extra pressure on him right now and there are enough veteran leaders in that room that it shouldn't matter who's wearing the C at all imo.

Financially this team can't really afford to do much at this point but ride it out and hope things turn around.  JR's moves may not all pan out a planned but the guy is a straight shooter and very honest.  I'm sure he's been looking around to see what can be done and when he finds something he thinks may benefit the team either for this year or for the future, he'll do it.  The worst thing he could do is make a knee jerk trade just to be doing something and find out he didn't get full value for the trade.   He's already admitted that maybe his moves may not have been the right ones so I'm sure he'll be very careful not to gamble with the future.

I have to agree with the stay-the-course for now folks.  The market for trades probably just isn't there right now and we wouldn't get full value back for anyone we traded at this point of the season.  Faceoff-ch1 makes a good point about this same group of guys being the same group that played very well together 5 months ago, even age doesn't catch up that quickly (or so I'm hoping).

The whole point of keeping players like Boychuk and Bowman in Albany was to give them that solid year at the pro level to help them transition easier to the NHL.  Bringing them up now is a risk and I'm not willing to risk their development now.  If JR decides to go into rebuild, then he should wait till other GM's come calling, because they will as the real contenders start to emerge.  Once we get to the trade deadline, then the kids can come up and see what they can do.  By then they'll have had a good chunk of time spent in the AHL.

Coaching is the one thing I'm not sure about and I'm not quite as ready to hang Maurice as some here because Laviolette had the exact same problems with almost the exact same group of players.  Obviously whatever coaching strategy is being used isn't working but what haven't they tried yet?  It all comes back to the players on the ice and after where they finished last season, it shouldn't take a whole new coaching staff to motivate them. 

I also agree with Faceoff-ch1 about the captaincy.  Staal doesn't need the extra pressure on him right now and there are enough veteran leaders in that room that it shouldn't matter who's wearing the C at all imo.

Financially this team can't really afford to do much at this point but ride it out and hope things turn around.  JR's moves may not all pan out a planned but the guy is a straight shooter and very honest.  I'm sure he's been looking around to see what can be done and when he finds something he thinks may benefit the team either for this year or for the future, he'll do it.  The worst thing he could do is make a knee jerk trade just to be doing something and find out he didn't get full value for the trade.   He's already admitted that maybe his moves may not have been the right ones so I'm sure he'll be very careful not to gamble with the future.

I have to agree with you on everything we need to stay the course for now because you are correct that the trade market just isnt there were only 13 games into the season most teams around the league arent very frantic to make moves.  IF we are still sucking by the trade deadline that is the time to trade our players and look for the future we can get better value for our players then.   On the contrary if JR can make a trade right now that is fair value and could give us a speedy winger to play with staal or even a D-man by all means he should take it.  Lets not lose faith lets go canes!

I jokingly said send an email to all GM's, but that's the message that needs to get out.  I agree that now isn't when teams are usually looking to make moves, but let it be known that you have an "open ear" for any discussions.  All this talk of just waiving a bunch of guys doesn't amount to much since we would still be on the hook for the salary.  The only way to move these guys is to hope they right the ship and have some trade value. 

J.R. needs to find a way to shed some salary because revenue will be down with the way the season is going.  He needs to find a way to clear some roster at the NHL level so some of the prospects will get some experience.  He needs to move some of the expiring contracts for picks/prospects at the deadline.  He needs to shop whatever guys he can that aren't in our core group to see what's out there.  As for the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, that's a tough one....he needs to find a way to trade Brindy to a contending team to force a transfer of leadership onto Staal. 

What I want to see is some direction by the passing of the trade deadline.  I know it's a long way off, but it's where we are for now.

1) Pitkanen should be the first to go. There is no effort from him at all. Even my 13 yr old who has no interest in hockey said..."Dad, why is that guy just standing there? Shouldn't he be skating or something?

2) Brind Amour is finished. Great career, blah blah. He should have retired.

3) Paul Maurice is a real embarrassment. It's obvious the team has tuned him out early.

4) No backup goalie.

5) All the rest. There is no cohesion on this team. How they got as far as they did last year is a mystery to me. Lots of talent, but no team. Missed/bad passes, weak shots, no hitting, on and on.

Sux that I bought a mini-pack this year. I paid for upper tier seats, but have been sitting in the club level. Not hard to do when 5000 fans dont show up. We're in trouble folks.

1) Pitkanen should be the first to go. There is no effort from him at all. Even my 13 yr old who has no interest in hockey said..."Dad, why is that guy just standing there? Shouldn't he be skating or something?

3) Paul Maurice is a real embarrassment. It's obvious the team has tuned him out early.

4) No backup goalie.

5) All the rest. There is no cohesion on this team. How they got as far as they did last year is a mystery to me. Lots of talent, but no team. Missed/bad passes, weak shots, no hitting, on and on.

Sux that I bought a mini-pack this year. I paid for upper tier seats, but have been sitting in the club level. Not hard to do when 5000 fans dont show up. We're in trouble folks.

Shazaam??????

4) No backup goalie.

Welcome smile.gif

This is the lets try and fix it thread, the panic button thread is here:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15616

Staal, Cole, Ruutu

Cullen, Whitney, Larose

Jokinen, Sutter, Walker

Brind'Amour, Kostopoulos, Dwyer/Ryan

Pitkanen/Gleason

Alberts/Rodney

Wallin/Carson

Waive/Sit Yelle, Conboy

Trade Samsonov, Corvo

Have "the talk" with Brind'Amour where he sees very little ice time. His time gets cut to zero after trade is completed.

Tha Canes need players that will make the sacrifice of their body through effort in order to win. Brind'Amour, Corvo and Samsonov haven't touch anyone this year. Larose, Cullen and Whitney are a close second in non-sacrifice.

Hockey is a young mans game, and we're the oldest team in the game. That's our problem.

I respectively disagree with those who say fire sale the team and those that say stay the course.  A wholesale change will not help anyone. It won't help the players left on the ice and it especially won't help our future that needs another season in Albany. But it is to late to stay the course. JR has now made a public statement about this team or lack there of. He has to make a trade even if it is a "small" one. Everyone on this team is now looking over their shoulders wondering who is gonna go.  Somebody has to go.

My guess is he will try to couple Yelle with a winger (LaRose or Kostopoulos) and yes I would hate it and try to get a second or third line winger in return. If he can pick up a Dman in the trade all the better.

If the team begins to play better and put themselves in a possible playoff position you tweak the team at trade deadline.  If not you begin the serious rebuilding at trade deadline with both trades and bringing up Rats.

Since I was one of the stay the course folks I'll clarify.   Stay the course, meaning, stick with what we have until an opportunity arises be it through trade, injury or waivers and call ups.  Since it wont benefit anyone to bring up the kids too soon or to trade off pieces for nothing, there's little choice but to stay the course, waive a player or two (already been done) to clear roster space and call up a kid or two when injuries happen to ease them into the line up slowly.  I'm 100% sure if JR was approached with a deal that would clearly make us a better team either now or for the future, he'd jump on it.

Superdave, I think JR's public declaration through the press today will be much more effective than those emails you requested for all the GM's wink.gif

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/6333445/

Since I was one of the stay the course folks I'll clarify.   Stay the course, meaning, stick with what we have until an opportunity arises be it through trade, injury or waivers and call ups.  Since it wont benefit anyone to bring up the kids too soon or to trade off pieces for nothing, there's little choice but to stay the course, waive a player or two (already been done) to clear roster space and call up a kid or two when injuries happen to ease them into the line up slowly.  I'm 100% sure if JR was approached with a deal that would clearly make us a better team either now or for the future, he'd jump on it.

Superdave, I think JR's public declaration through the press today will be much more effective than those emails you requested for all the GM's wink.gif

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/6333445/

I agree with you more than I disagree. Except I don't think JR will wait to be approached with a deal or wait for the perfect deal. I think he will go out and make one.  But the truth is I don't know how to fix this mess. A week ago I thought a winger would solve the problem but now everywhere you look you see a problem. Maybe after the next couple of games we will get an indication of what management is thinking in regards to fixing or rebuilding this year.