The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-0

-=Getting to know your fellow board members vol3=-

That's a very easy question for me to answer. Being 50, if I could live my life over, I would have paid more attention in school and gone to college. At that time in my life, (at HS graduation), there were no such things as college loans, etc., (or at least my guidance counselor wasn't the best in the world and told any of us of it.) I always wanted to be a high school English teacher because Shakespeare rocks my world. I know that this is the last thing some of the younger kids would want to hear but you've all heard the saying "you've got to get an education to be somebody". Well, you don't have to get an education to "be somebody" but if you want all that life has to offer, get that education and try to be your own boss. Another thing I would have loved to have done is if not be a teacher in the public schools, get my education in music/piano and be a piano teacher. (I took lessons for 9 years.) That's being my own boss :) Instead of getting a higher education, I went to work for NC State Government. That means, answering to other people that are not necessarily the brightest lights in the hallway. Red tape, bureaucrats, politics, UGH ! Did it for 30 years and got out as soon as I got my time in. I called it "Getting out of parole." LOL!

Another thing: I would have spent more time w/ my dad. I was his shadow anyways when growing up. (I was a little tomboy.) He died in 1986 at Thanksgiving so yeah, this past week wasn't a good time for me.

Sorry to take up so much space but I got carried away :(

Well, I'm really not that far out of childhood. In fact, I'm sure some people would beg to differ with me saying that I'm not a child. But if I could change anything from my childhood it would definitly be to just chill out and enjoy the lack of responsibilty and stress and all.

Also, I think I've done a lot of growing up and maturing recently. I have a kind of confidence and satisfaction with myself that I remember not having as a kid. The best thing in the world is to be cool with not only yourself and your beleifs but respectful of other people and all the diversity there is in the world. As a kid I remember always looking down on people that weren't the same and using that as a way to deal with my own insecurities.

So if I could go back and tell little me anything, it would be that right there ^ Live and let live.

If I could go back and do anything, I would just spend more time with my friends.

Other than that, I don't want to change anything.

I got my first 'job' at ten, mucking stalls in exchange for riding lessons, then it was on to brushing, feeding, and walking horses in exchange for riding lessons. I spent the summer of my 15th year volunteering for the horseback therapy group Reins Of Life. They teach disabled kids to ride.

Then I got an actual paying job at 16. So I didn't hang out that much, and maybe I should have.

I've heard of Reins of Life....Great !!!!!!!!!! Another thing I wanted to stress to all younger versions of myself is to have fun, live life, listen to your elders to a certain degree and don't give in to peer pressure. Travel in pairs, groups, etc., and always be familiar w/ your surroundings. You are special :)

Well, I'm really not that far out of childhood. In fact, I'm sure some people would beg to differ with me saying that I'm not a child. But if I could change anything from my childhood it would definitly be to just chill out and enjoy the lack of responsibilty and stress and all.

Also, I think I've done a lot of growing up and maturing recently. I have a kind of confidence and satisfaction with myself that I remember not having as a kid. The best thing in the world is to be cool with not only yourself and your beleifs but respectful of other people and all the diversity there is in the world. As a kid I remember always looking down on people that weren't the same and using that as a way to deal with my own insecurities.

So if I could go back and tell little me anything, it would be that right there ^ Live and let live.

That is like the smartest thing I've ever heard you say :shock:

But I like it :D good job, it's so.. ummm.. reflective.. ?

I agree with you though. To go back and enjoy the time when you didn't have to stress over homework, school..and boys.. and chill and nap and not care about anything =[ there's too much to worry about now, I shouldn't have tooken (is that a word?) advantage of the nap time instead of waste it daydreaming about play-doh or something.. geeze..

I'd probably go back and enjoy the time I had in Montreal alot more, because I sure do miss it now... if only I had known I was moving here..

I would only change a few things...wish I had chosen my friends better & given into peer pressure less. Kind of got in with the wild crowd for a while--nearly cost me my life. Biggest regret is the stress this caused my folks (not sure it was such a great fathers' day present for me to have a drunk driving accident and almost die--forever thankful no one else was hurt). I've learned alot from all the experiences--just wish I could have learned them in a easier way--but sometimes God or Life has to smack you around to make you see where you're headed.

That is like the smartest thing I've ever heard you say :shock:

But I like it :D good job, it's so.. ummm.. reflective.. ?

I agree with you though. To go back and enjoy the time when you didn't have to stress over homework, school..and boys.. and chill and nap and not care about anything =[ there's too much to worry about now, I shouldn't have tooken (is that a word?) advantage of the nap time instead of waste it daydreaming about play-doh or something.. geeze..

I'd probably go back and enjoy the time I had in Montreal alot more, because I sure do miss it now... if only I had known I was moving here..

aw, thanks love :)

(*taken)

So as the same as what gocanesgirl said im not that much out of childhood yet. But I have done alot of maturing since I was a child. I have more respect for people and I appreciate things more in life and I try not to worry about silly things that use to bother me. so I guess if I could go back and change anything I think it would be as Cath and Rachel said enjoy not having responsibilities and having to deal with all the stresses that you have in life and I wouldn’t have taken advantage of nap time, I wish we had that now. But most of all I would have spent more time with the ones I loved. A year ago from last Saturday (November 25) I lost a dear friend on mine to suicide and I still can’t get over the last time I saw him.. I wasn’t that nice to him the last time I saw him and I still regret it, I wish I could take that back. But I cant now so I have to live with it. I still think about it, and I miss him dearly. So I would have diffidently changed that. But over all there isn’t that much that I would change, my life so far has been pretty good, disregarding a few bumps along the way.

I wish I had made up my mind sooner as to what I wanted to do after high school so I wouldn't have to be back for a 5th year trying to get credits I now realize I need for college. The majority of my friends have gone away so it kind of sucks. I guess it's not really something I could change because it takes time to make up your mind but I wish it had played out differently. The one thing I wish most is that I hadn't been such a bully when I was younger. I'm pretty ashamed of it now and I've tried to fix things with people the best I could but I'd love a re-do if there was such a thing. And the last thing I'd do is give up trying to understand girls as soon as I became interested in them because I've come to realize I'll never figure them out. Accepting that earlier in life would've avoided some troubles lol.

Giving it some thought... I realize that if I changed anything that has happened in my life, any small detail at all I would not be who I am today.

Which after a lot of years is a pretty great place to be.

It has taken me a long time to get to this place and yes it has been difficult but for all you "youngsters" out there... don't ever give up, believe in yourself, be kind to others.. you never know when you might need them in your life or when you might loose them.

Always remember.. "Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away"..

Darn.... I sound like a hallmark card..........:)

If I could change one thing, I would go back to when I lived in NC and not take my time there for granted. I would spend more time with my friends and go out and enjoy myself more. I would also try to let down this wall I have built around me because of trust issues. There was a ton of people I know I should have treated better but because of things in the past, I was afraid they would do something bad to me and I would have to build up my little walls again. There are also a couple people I would have stayed away from. The only thing these select few people did was try to drive a stake into a friendship I had... and for a while I let them. But looking back... it drew me and my best friend closer together.

(I hope all this is making sense. It's just kinda flowing.)

And I would have enjoyed highschool. Most of the time I hated it because of the drama that went on from my freshman to junior year. My senior year was the only time I really had fun, and I regret that now.

Kids, enjoy your childhood. Once it's gone, you can't get it back.

*off to invent a time machine*

I would not have been in such a hurry to leave home...I lived on a small Island and just couldn't wait to get away...so I left for school and then I met my hubby and established my life with him. I do not regret for a minute my life with my hubby but I do get very homesick at times and the three or four trips I make a year are just not enough sometimes. I would have also spent more times with certain friends and less time with others and definitely more time with family!!

Question 3: If you could go back to being a kid, with all the knowledge you have now, what if anything would you do differently, if anything?

At age 45, here's what my most honest answers are to your question:

1) Forgive others.

Upset by former friends who've turned their backs on me in temporary moments of anger, I've consequently turned my backs on them 30 or 40 years later. Sadly, I'll never get to meet some of those friends again on earth ... they've long since passed away. :(

2) Forgive myself for perceived shortcomings.

So what if I'm not supermodel-tiny? a seven-minute miler? a person minus scintillating wit at all times? someone lacking an in-your-face-sparkly personality 24/7? I'm a human, someone who tries to be thoughtful, helpful, kind, and considerate to everyone I meet ... online and offline. Isn't that enough?

Jan/GSBG

Question 3: If you could go back to being a kid, with all the knowledge you have now, what if anything would you do differently, if anything?

1) Forgive others.

Upset by former friends who've turned their backs on me in temporary moments of anger, I've consequently turned my backs on them 30 or 40 years later. Sadly, I'll never get to meet some of those friends again on earth ... they've long since passed away. :(

So what if I'm not supermodel-tiny? a seven-minute miler? a person minus scintillating wit at all times? someone lacking an in-your-face-sparkly personality 24/7? I'm a human, someone who tries to be thoughtful, helpful, kind, and considerate to everyone I meet ... online and offline. Isn't that enough?

Jan/GSBG

Mind if I hang that on my desk at work? No joke really, thats good stuff, very good stuff.

1) Forgive others.

Mind if I hang that on my desk at work? No joke really, thats good stuff, very good stuff.

I'd be profoundly honored if you did, Cy. Thank you, very sincerely. smiley_hug.gif

About what I said regarding forgiveness: I'm having to deal with that very issue right now. Four hours ago, Mr. GSBG and I came back home from having dinner at an Italian restaurant in town, about four miles from our apartment. What would've been an enjoyable dinner was spoiled by the anger I got from a young woman (I'll decline to state her ethnicity, other than she isn't Caucasian) sitting at the table next to ours. Looking at me directly in the eye during the last half hour of the meal, she had an unmistakable expression of contempt. Her seething anger truly made me feel rotten.

Mind you, this wasn't the first bit of racism I've dealt with at this eatery. When Mr. G and I had our pre-marathon "carb load" dinner the night before last month's Long Beach Marathon, a family -- also of the same ethnic background as the girl's -- kept looking at us as they mumbled racial (anti-Caucasian) slurs and giggled. That prompted Mr. G to address the threesome, asking them politely and directly if we were causing any problems with them. The daughter, obviously embarrassed by his gentle forthrightness, did a classic lady-doth-protest-too-much response, saying, "No! No!" As you might guess, that incident made me so sick that I nearly vomited several times that night. (During the marathon the morning after, I actually did toss that meal from the night before, so nauseated was I. :()

So there you have it: I'm just a person who's working hard to be forgiving and thoughtful every day ... even when I've been nailed by unexpected, virulent racism.

Jan/GSBG

Made quicker decisions instead of letting life go on and make the it for me

Not be such a screw up when I was younger

ask my father "why"

started playing hockey at a much younger age than I did

Stop Karmanos from coming to Hartford

1) Forgive others.

I'd be profoundly honored if you did, Cy. Thank you, very sincerely. smiley_hug.gif

About what I said regarding forgiveness: I'm having to deal with that very issue right now. Four hours ago, Mr. GSBG and I came back home from having dinner at an Italian restaurant in town, about four miles from our apartment. What would've been an enjoyable dinner was spoiled by the anger I got from a young woman (I'll decline to state her ethnicity, other than she isn't Caucasian) sitting at the table next to ours. Looking at me directly in the eye during the last half hour of the meal, she had an unmistakable expression of contempt. Her seething anger truly made me feel rotten.

Mind you, this wasn't the first bit of racism I've dealt with at this eatery. When Mr. G and I had our pre-marathon "carb load" dinner the night before last month's Long Beach Marathon, a family -- also of the same ethnic background as the girl's -- kept looking at us as they mumbled racial (anti-Caucasian) slurs and giggled. That prompted Mr. G to address the threesome, asking them politely and directly if we were causing any problems with them. The daughter, obviously embarrassed by his gentle forthrightness, did a classic lady-doth-protest-too-much response, saying, "No! No!" As you might guess, that incident made me so sick that I nearly vomited several times that night. (During the marathon the morning after, I actually did toss that meal from the night before, so nauseated was I. :()

So there you have it: I'm just a person who's working hard to be forgiving and thoughtful every day ... even when I've been nailed by unexpected, virulent racism.

Two days later, I've still been reflecting on our dining "experience." At these moments, I'm inclined to believe a truism that I'd wished had been around more when I was a young'un in the '60s and '70s: What comes around goes around.

That's a motto I still try to abide by, each minute of each day.

Jan/GSBG

1) Forgive others.

Two days later, I've still been reflecting on our dining "experience." At these moments, I'm inclined to believe a truism that I'd wished had been around more when I was a young'un in the '60s and '70s: What comes around goes around.

That's a motto I still try to abide by, each minute of each day.

Jan/GSBG

I think a good one that works well with that is treat others as you want to be treated. My mom taught me that when I was young, and I think that made me into a pretty nice person... I think... well as I got older I modified that with some so I am not taken advantage of, but the principle is still the same.

If I could change one thing about my childhood, it would be absolutely nothing. I'm a cancer survivor and one of the many lessons I was taught by that whole wonderful experience is to live with no regrets. My childhood is a dot in the rear view mirror of my life that gets further in the distance with each candle addition on my birthday cake. I can't change what happened. I can, however, change the here and now. So I spend more time with my family and friends, appreciate, love and understand them more, and try to be less judgemental and more forgiving of others as well as myself.

If I could change one thing about my childhood it would be...that time I ate yellow snow. No, I'm just kidding I have never eaten yellow snow, nor will I ever eat yellow snow. I had a great childhood, I wouldn't change a thing.