The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
a17

Life After Brindy Poll

I'm pretty sure Brindy still has this season and one more on his contract (correct me if I'm wrong).

But if Staal isn't the Captain before then, I think he will be after Brindy retires.

If it isn't Staal we better trade him, because he is so obvious that we would likely have a stunned and dejected all-star. But it will be Staal.

Welcome to the boards. It's been all but declared by JR and others, not to mention Captain Obvious, that Staal will be the next Captain. Whether that's the best thing, when it will happen, etc. are sensible discussions but who is pretty well locked in (and a poll would be redundant). My 2 cents.

[quote name='ill4mation wrote:

coastal_caniac']Staal, who in turn will pass his "A" on to Gleason.

If i remember correctly,  Gleason was wearing the "A" for one of these recent games.

Yeah gleason is our third alternate, he only wears it when Staal, Whitney, or Brindy is out of the line up....as for the captain thing its top obvious its Staal...besides all th rumor mills say Whitney is on the trading block

I say give it to Leights,,he look's like the only one trying to give the guys a boost when they come off the ice?

Set the Benchmark high!!

I like the idea of the "rotating captain" based on who comes to play you earn the spot... Didn't I read somewhere that a team in the league already does this...

[quote name=pkling]

I like the idea of the "rotating captain" based on who comes to play you earn the spot... Didn't I read somewhere that a team in the league already does this...

Back in ~2006, Buffalo Sabres chose Briere to captain for the away games, and Drury was captain for the home games (Or maybe it was the other way around....). Anyway, I this is a kinda-similar thing to that. Not really, but it was the same idea. That would be kinda cool.

Why does everybody say it's gonna be staal next? Even if Rutherford did sya that, it sure isn't the choice I would make. I personally would choose Whitney because he's the only player that shows leadship and quality on this team. He's a real role model for the other players.

Staal would just look cool with a "C" on his jersey. He lacks everything the captain position needs:

-Leadership

-Focus

-Effort

-Quality

-Attitude

Whitney's better than Staal right now anyway.

Anybody is better than Staal right now.

PEACE!!!!

[quote name='a17 wrote:

pkling
']

Back in ~2006, Buffalo Sabres chose Briere to captain for the away games, and Drury was captain for the home games (Or maybe it was the other way around....). Anyway, I this is a kinda-similar thing to that. Not really, but it was the same idea. That would be kinda cool.

Why does everybody say it's gonna be staal next? Even if Rutherford did sya that, it sure isn't the choice I would make. I personally would choose Whitney because he's the only player that shows leadship and quality on this team. He's a real role model for the other players.

Staal would just look cool with a "C" on his jersey. He lacks everything the captain position needs:

-Leadership

-Focus

-Effort

-Quality

-Attitude

PEACE!!!!Are you serious?  Here we go again year after year. Staal has obviously been hurt all year.  I think everyone forgets the last two years when Brindy has either been hurt or non poductive.  2007 with Brindy and Cullen out he took a mediocre team and came one game from being in the playoffs. Last year when everyone thought there is no hope for this team again he puts the team on his back and carries them deep into the playoffs. Every year he puts up 30-40 goals and 70-100 points. He plays on the powerplay and shorthanded.  349 without missing a game says enought right there.  I've watched him over the past few years there are many nights when he has played hurt when most take the night off. He has grown into a great leader in our community, He has been model citizen.  Everytime we get in the playoffs he has led this team deep. 2006 he led the NHL in playoff points and everybody knows the big goals he scored last year in the playoffs.  You can't blame Staal when you surround him with average players. Give him a top line winger(hopefullly Boychuk can be this player) and then you can criticize him.  Staal and Ward are not the problem with this team and they are going to be the answer for many years. 

I recall Staal took a puck to the ear earlier this year when the canes are down 4 goals and he still came out for the third with 29 stitches and scored a goal. If that isn't leadership please tell me what is.

Not disputing the fact that Staal is 1 of the corner stones of this team... that being said why is the "C" a given...yes he has played hurt...but why??? that to me is not a sign of leadership of either a player or the coaches... If we do not have the depth to be able to sit a "hurt player" no matter who it is but especially your "corner stone" the guy your building your team around long term you have a bigger problem than you want to admit... WHY would you play him or allow him to play injured risking further injury??? This will not be a popular statement but here goes...Why is it every time Staal is playing mediocre it's because he "is hurt" yet when Rosie,-no talent---Whitney,-getting old---Cole,-1 move---Rutuu,-no hitting--- anyone else on the team plays mediocre it's because "they don't have the skill or talent"??? Hockey is a team sport... I'd rather have a "team" of players instead of a couple superstars... I still like the "rotating C" It may make everyone elevate their level of play and not rely on 1 guy to carry the team.Heck, anyways it's just a letter .roll.gifGO CANES

Not disputing the fact that Staal is 1 of the corner stones of this team... that being said why is the "C" a given...yes he has played hurt...but why??? that to me is not a sign of leadership of either a player or the coaches... If we do not have the depth to be able to sit a "hurt player" no matter who it is but especially your "corner stone" the guy your building your team around long term you have a bigger problem than you want to admit... WHY would you play him or allow him to play injured risking further injury??? This will not be a popular statement but here goes...Why is it every time Staal is playing mediocre it's because he "is hurt" yet when Rosie,-no talent---Whitney,-getting old---Cole,-1 move---Rutuu,-no hitting--- anyone else on the team plays mediocre it's because "they don't have the skill or talent"??? Hockey is a team sport... I'd rather have a "team" of players instead of a couple superstars... I still like the "rotating C" It may make everyone elevate their level of play and not rely on 1 guy to carry the team.Heck, anyways it's just a letter .roll.gifGO

I see your point and agree that if you are the "C" why would you play hurt......like last year when Brindy played 18 minutes per game when he was hurt or in a slump.  I would think as a leader you do not want to be an anchor to the team and it is your duty to sit out less minutes.  I think in Staal's case he is better than most of our old slumping team at 75%.

I like the idea of the rotating "C" but feel like Mo is to scared to do it.  The veterans own MO.

-Leadership

-Focus

-Effort

-Quality

-Attitude

PEACE!!!!

Hahahaha yeah sure!

I'm sure every team in the NHL would pay to have Staal and his lack of leadership-focus-effort-quality-attitude. 

You guys seriously want Staal to be the captain? He's been so up and down, and unreliable. Whitney deserves the C before anyone. Cole should have gotten an A a while ago as well. (Before Walker in my opinion)

[quote name=SuckaPunchd]You guys seriously want Staal to be the captain? He's been so up and down, and unreliable. Whitney deserves the C before anyone. Cole should have gotten an A a while ago as well. (Before Walker in my opinion)

Short term Whitney might need to be the captain.  That being said Whitney won't even be a Hurricane much longer. Because of his value he will be traded in the near future  Walker isn't a Alternate captain.  Staal and Whitney wear the A.  There has to be a reason Cole is consistently overlooked as a alternate captain.  It might be due to his injury problems, its tough to have any captain that misses a bunch of games.  

Walker in my opinion has been our most consistent player this year. No one can question how hard he works on the ice. Walker is a plus 2 on a team that has lost 11 in a row.