The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
durhamcaobrazillas

The Paul Maurice Thread (retitled)

Rod  WAS a great player. Not anymore. Do whats best for this team and retire,,please.(as a Cane)

I am fully on the MO must Go bandwagon!!! Giddy up!!!

Rod & MO are like Thelma & Louise in a T-bird headed off a cliff!!!  

freedom-man.jpg

Heck - I'd dump most of the team at this point AND MO - but that's not going to happen.

Easier to pick who I'd keep - Staal, Whitney, Jussi, Ruu, Walker, Sutter, Gleason, Corvo

I defintely agree about Brind'Amour, he should be stripped of his C and scratched for now. I was trying to give MO a chance here for a while but it is really getting difficult. If MO goes then we will be paying MO and Lavi for coaching. Could we really afford another coach or would we give Francis/Rowe/Daniels a chance?

MO has to go... there's no way around it.  he ran the team into the ground in 02-03 and he's doing it again.

Brind'amour, i love the guy and he was the team several years ago, but it's time to go.  he's hurting the team right now and is dead weight.  

And Yes this deserves a thread... what's with all the rules on this message board?

of course it warrants a whole thread, its whats going to evidently happen, where else do we vent? god, we dont need any control issues out here...

This is the thread where we can voice our opinions on what coaching/players  we think should be let go. I was not pleased when Mo came back, and I don't believe he was the reason this team made the EC F. Give Francis and the others a chance. They can't do any worse than mo. Can they?

MO has to go... there's no way around it.  he ran the team into the ground in 02-03 and he's doing it again.

Brind'amour, i love the guy and he was the team several years ago, but it's time to go.  he's hurting the team right now and is dead weight.  

And Yes this deserves a thread... what's with all the rules on this message board?

I agree. Roddy was one of the main reasons that we were in trouble last season, but they kept giving him big mins of ice time.

I defintely agree about Brind'Amour, he should be stripped of his C and scratched for now.

The last time this franchise stripped a Captain of his C it was Coach Rick Ley doing it to Ron Francis, and it was not the answer to fix the Whalers.  It just shook the foundation of the whole team.  Nothing good came of it.

Any organization with class just doesn't do that to a veteran player that was key in winning the Teams only Stanley Cup. 

Brind'Amour has lost a step somehow but he is NOT dead weight.  He is playing the game and struggling just as the entire team is.

And as far as coaching, is the team not trying?  Are they not skating?  Are they not hitting?  Are they not getting chances?  Even in the blow out games they lost last weekend, they did not play that poorly and they even had several break away chances themselves.  The past two games, I thought their defensive coverage was good.  EVERY game EVERY team will give up chances against, give up breakaways against, take penalties, miss assignments, etc.  It's a game of mistakes. 

A different coach cannot teach players how to put the puck in the net.  The system the coach and his staff employs creates defense and offensive chances, but in the end the players themselves have to dent the twine.

The last time this franchise stripped a Captain of his C it was Coach Rick Ley doing it to Ron Francis, and it was not the answer to fix the Whalers.  It just shook the foundation of the whole team.  Nothing good came of it.

Any organization with class just doesn't do that to a veteran player that was key in winning the Teams only Stanley Cup. 

Brind'Amour has lost a step somehow but he is NOT dead weight.  He is playing the game and struggling just as the entire team is.

And as far as coaching, is the team not trying?  Are they not skating?  Are they not hitting?  Are they not getting chances?  Even in the blow out games they lost last weekend, they did not play that poorly and they even had several break away chances themselves.  The past two games, I thought their defensive coverage was good.  EVERY game EVERY team will give up chances against, give up breakaways against, take penalties, miss assignments, etc.  It's a game of mistakes. 

A different coach cannot teach players how to put the puck in the net.  The system the coach and his staff employs creates defense and offensive chances, but in the end the players themselves have to dent the twine.

Top nomination for post of the year.

How about we dump Chad Larose and his 0 goals?  You pay a top 9 forward 1.7 million a year and get 0 goals, that's a problem.  Oh wait, he tries sooo hard, its okay.  Lets fire Mo instead because guys like Larose try so hard and still fail.

[quote name='formerwhalerfan wrote:

Evenstrength18']I defintely agree about Brind'Amour, he should be stripped of his C and scratched for now.

It does not seem like Brind'Amour is leading this team.  Granted we cannot see what is going on in the locker room. 

I don't think stripping Brindamour of the 'C' is going to do absolutely anything. This season is likely over anyway, let's be honest. Embarrassing Brindamour won't solve anything. Let's just hope he realizes how poorly he has played the last 2 years, his responsibility to this team, and the money he makes and retire at the end of this year and maybe take a Front Office role.

My issue with Maurice is that we shouldn't have given him a 3 year deal. He's run the team in the ground before and last year he took his defensive system and molded it with Lavi's offensive system and it worked beautifully. It seems that over the summer whatever he did didn't work out. Now we've got him as coach for another 2 years and have to hope that with the young talent we bring in next year and whatever talent we get with all the money coming off the books is used to its potential and Mo opens up the offensive system more like Lavi did. Hopefully these guys don't have any trouble finishing chances in the future, like this group has had this year. I don't think Karmanos would ever consider paying Lavi, Mo and a new coach unless we move in Daniels/Francis/Rowe and Mo takes a front office position so the money would balance out.....and to be honest I'm not sure that either of the Daniels/Francis/Rowe team is the answer.

Send Brind'Amour to a play off bound team, if there is one that will take him and let him finish his career on a high note and possibly get some return for us. And as for MO, fire him and assign Francis at interim coach and let him finish the season and see how he does, cause there is no point in wasting our money and bringing in a new coach on a hopeless season.

[quote name='Evenstrength18 wrote:

formerwhalerfan wrote:

Evenstrength18']I defintely agree about Brind'Amour, he should be stripped of his C and scratched for now.

It does not seem like Brind'Amour is leading this team.  Granted we cannot see what is going on in the locker room. He has lost something, but in the past games I see him in the corners, he's had golden opportunities in the high slot and gotten off shots, to me that's leading by example.  He's also not losing his cool on the ice over the whole situation.  But I guess his injuries and (dare I say it) age don't allow him the ability to go wide and break in anymore. 

But he still seems to be doing what needs to be done to win, for whatever reason they just aren't.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

formerwhalerfan']

Top nomination for post of the year.

I usually find TSA's posts to be right on the money but I'd have to say I completely disagree with his nomination in this case. I think there is so much more to being a leader for a NHL franchise than spirit or hard work. Results speak volumes and the Canes need someone who can lead them into battle and be one of the top five offensive contributors to the team. Brindamour offers little, if any, offensive help to the Canes. Last year and continuing this year he has one of the worst plus/ minus ratings in the league. His on ice time is hurting the Canes almost every game. Stripping him of the C is the right thing to do.  Look at the San Jose Sharks. They stripped Marleau of it to get their team motivated to find a true leader. ()

This year Marleau is one of the top offensive players in the NHL. He understands that he has to earn the C by showing results and earning the respect of his team mates. The C should just not be given to a player based on years of service. Each year it should be up for grabs based on who was the true leader of a team the previous year.  Whitney or Staal should be wearing the C this year. Mr. Brindamour should be lucky to be considered as an alternate.

If Brindy was going to be stripped of the "C" it should have happened before the season started. As for Mo a one year contract for this season and based on the performance of the team at the end of the season then JR and Mo go from there.

One thing I didn't like at all was the game on Friday v.s Toronto.  Brind'Amour took a pretty obvious holding call in a tie game which led to the go ahead power play goal.  He's out on the ice the very next shift.  Why not sit him down a shift or two?  How about some accountability?  He's the captain and as such should not be immune from such discipline, as a leader he should almost want to be an example that these types of mistakes shouldn't be tolerated...

My frustrated two cents..

I usually find TSA's posts to be right on the money but I'd have to say I completely disagree with his nomination in this case. I think there is so much more to being a leader for a NHL franchise than spirit or hard work. Results speak volumes and the Canes need someone who can lead them into battle and be one of the top five offensive contributors to the team. Brindamour offers little, if any, offensive help to the Canes. Last year and continuing this year he has one of the worst plus/ minus ratings in the league. His on ice time is hurting the Canes almost every game. Stripping him of the C is the right thing to do.  Look at the San Jose Sharks. They stripped Marleau of it to get their team motivated to find a true leader. (http://sports.yahoo.com/n...he-Sharks?urn=nhl,183427)

This year Marleau is one of the top offensive players in the NHL. He understands that he has to earn the C by showing results and earning the respect of his team mates. The C should just not be given to a player based on years of service. Each year it should be up for grabs based on who was the true leader of a team the previous year.  Whitney or Staal should be wearing the C this year. Mr. Brindamour should be lucky to be considered as an alternate.

Thanks for props but I guess I should clarify a few things.  I completely agree that Brind'Amour is struggling and has struggled for more than this season.  I guess where I agree with formerwhalerfan is that the whole team is struggling and I dont particularly see how one person can be singled out as a cause.  There's enough blame to go around for just about everyone involved from the players all the way up to the owner. 

I don't see how Marleau and Brind'Amour's situation can be compared.  I don't follow the Sharks too closely but from what I understand, his under performance had to do with coaching conflicts and the fact that the Sharks have never won anything, Marleau led them to nothing.  Brind'Amour helped win it all here and agree with it or not, winning is everything in this league and those players and teams that win it all get the respect and more times than not, the benefit of the doubt.

Changing the leadership of the team ( and Im not disagreeing with that idea) needs to be done in the off season when a player can bow out respectfully and turn over the reigns to his successor.  If the C gets stripped, thats no different than firing the coach mid season and demoralizing him in front of his family and peers.  Is that really the message we want to give Brind'Amour?  I'm not saying its not time for a change but its too late to do it right for this season and imo, Brind'Amour is giving the most that he can.  Stripping the C wont make his performance better but just might make it worse.   This organization prides itself on class and as a fan, I wouldn't want it any other way.

As for the coaching part, I scratch my head over some of the decisions the coaching staff makes but the scoring chances have been there over and over again and no coach, not even Toe Blake is going to help our offense get the puck in the net, the finish has to come from the players.  If the chances weren't there or the players stopped trying, then I'd say we had a definite coaching issue but they're still working hard trying to get through this.  What we're seeing imo is no different than what Lavi dealt with last year but now this group is another year older and kick starting things is getting tougher and tougher.

At the end of the day this is a business, and our 3rd highest paid player (Rod) is not living up to that pay.  His was horrible last year, and its going south fast this year.  I realize Rod isnt the offensive player he was, but his defense has also hit the skids.

What he could do is give us what we don't have.  A playmaking center.  Anyone that has been watching young #16 the last few games sees the glaring hole in our team.  Jussi can pass well, but thats it as far as our centers go.

Oh, and for Eric Staal, put him where he belongs.  Wing.  His massive armspan is great in the middle defensively, but the only one that scores on his line is off his rebounds.  When do you ever see him burn the other team with a pass that turns into a goal for coming to double team him?  When he starts to do that, the double teaming will slow.  Until then expect more wrap arounds chances. 

People forget in 06' Rod, Dougie Weight, and Cullen were distrubting the puck well, they made you pay for coming to double them.  What do we have now?  Passing wings?  Our ability to distribute the puck to the open guy and on his stick has gone in the trash can.

Just my 2-cents, fire away.