The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

The REAL reason why we're so bad

It isn't slow for me, but I do agree that the old board was better and seemed to be more lively. I still don't get why the NHL did this in the first place.

You could be right, but I thought it was the new jumbotron myself. It must be intimidating to play under that thing at home, but that doesn't explain the road performance. It also could be that Patty Eaves was the key to our success!!!!

Babchuk, yes. God, he'd be playing better than Aaron Ward at this point. His slapshop was worth the headache. With our defensemen afraid to shoot, for the most part, he NEVER shied away from blasting away. Guys didn't dive down on his shot, either.

Babchuk, yes. God, he'd be playing better than Aaron Ward at this point. His slapshop was worth the headache. With our defensemen afraid to shoot, for the most part, he NEVER shied away from blasting away. Guys didn't dive down on his shot, either.

Right!  Who would want to dive down and get hit with his bomb!

I don't think our D are that bad, but you are totally correct, they are afraid to shoot.  They are always looking for the perfect pass to someone who will shoot.  Pitkanen looks like he's been given a green light to do anything and I like it.  He's playing so many minutes that at times he is not as hard on the defensive end, but I like the idea of giving this guy free reign to get something going.  He's made some great rushes and setups too, which is what the team needs.

Corvo has a great shot too, but I'm tired of hearing "Corvo shoots, wide"  or "Corvo winds up, shoots, misses the net".  Why don't these players work on their accuracy?  Even some of the plays in last nights game, lift the puck up a foot off the ice when Mason was down and they would have scored.  They have no problem flipping the thing up 4 feet to the linesman after a whistle, try doing that near the net during gameplay!

Ohhhhh, so now some are missing Babs.

The point I was trying to make was to the post before mine, if Patrick Eaves was the key to our success then the other players that left may have been also, so let's get them back too and get back to the Eastern Conference Finals! happy.gif

The real point being, somehow the team is working very hard with the worst possible results and since they are NOT a bunch of no talent bums, the team lost it's chemistry somehow.

[quote name='formerwhalerfan wrote:

ivyleager']Babchuk, yes. God, he'd be playing better than Aaron Ward at this point. His slapshop was worth the headache. With our defensemen afraid to shoot, for the most part, he NEVER shied away from blasting away. Guys didn't dive down on his shot, either.

I don't think our D are that bad, but you are totally correct, they are afraid to shoot. 

Gleason struck last night, I think he did learn to shoot late last year....he has a bomb when he does fire.  Timmy looked good all night last night.  I never wanted the Russian Concussion to leave anyhow.  I would have preferred we gave him a reasonable offer, he's still young.  Technically, he still belongs to us.

Haha good one gocanes88 and FWIW, we'd be REALLY happy with old board back too.

So how come this new software isn't cursing other teams?

Haha good one gocanes88 and FWIW, we'd be REALLY with old board back too.

So how come this new software isn't cursing other teams?

[on sarcsasm] Because Brindy isn't their Captain, and Mo isn't their coach, and JR isn't their GM, and PK isn't their owner [/sarcasm]

My ISP is superfast, yet this site does run a little slower than others.

Sadly, I just can't understand why it's been loss after loss.  Better hockey analysts than me may know.  I'm just sick of North Carolina having such poor pro teams this year.  Even my beloved Charlotte Checkers acted like a bunch of goons at the end of last Thursday's game.

Is there any other magic we can think of to help the Heartbreaker Canes out of their funk?

Is there any other magic we can think of to help the Heartbreaker Canes out of their funk?

On Wednesday, I'll be wearing my silver-and-black vintage Kings jersey,and rooting for L.A. as loudly as I can.  Since my team always loses,that's sure to give Carolina the win!

The bummer is I won't be able to be this obnoxious in person; I'll have to do my yelling from the couch.

FWIW, we'd be REALLY happy with old board back too.

I know... if it was up to you and the rest of the admins, we'd still be posting with ease. That software was easily the best out of any message board that I've ever posted on. I guess it's not as slow as I thought, though... although I can see it being slow during games. So I guess I'll stick around here if it keeps up like it is right now. It's still slower than the old board, but it's not too too bad.

In case anyone's wondering... just because I haven't been posting lately does not mean I've been ignoring the Canes. Although it's been tough to watch games because FS Carolinas isn't available where I'm living right now, I'm still keeping up the best I can. And despite our team's troubles, I can't wait to go to a game this season and see the Megatron in action for the first time. Me and Kristin definitely want to go to the traditional New Year's Eve game, but I'd like to think that we'll be able to go to a game or two before then (thank you, $9.99 deal!).

[quote name='fpsndiver wrote:

formerwhalerfan wrote:

ivyleager']Babchuk, yes. God, he'd be playing better than Aaron Ward at this point. His slapshop was worth the headache. With our defensemen afraid to shoot, for the most part, he NEVER shied away from blasting away. Guys didn't dive down on his shot, either.

I don't think our D are that bad, but you are totally correct, they are afraid to shoot. 

Gleason struck last night, I think he did learn to shoot late last year....he has a bomb when he does fire.  Timmy looked good all night last night.  I never wanted the Russian Concussion to leave anyhow.  I would have preferred we gave him a reasonable offer, he's still young.  Technically, he still belongs to us.

Gleason looked good all night? Yeah - especially on the giveaway in front of our net that led to a goal.

Scoring after that lapse was the least he could do - and was about all he did. Don't get me wrong, I like Timmy when he's on his game. But he hasn't been all year, just like the rest of the team.

1.  Staal is the most overrated player in the NHL.  He does not work hard on a night to night basis and he is not a good leader on the ice.  He can not handle the puck well enough to create scoring opportunities and our team has a hard time giving him opportunities to release his shot uncontested.

2.  Some of our key players are getting a little old.  Brind'amour and Whitney are both very talented players (whitney is my 2nd favorite player on the hurricanes) but they are getting up there in years.  Rod just can't stay as competitive as he has in the past.  Whitney also is losing his edge.  Although he had a good point output last year, his numbers are steadily declining.  We need a younger more exciting offense.

3.  Our defense is absolutely atrocious.  Joni Pitkanen is my least favorite player of all time.  I have watched him numerous times just sit in front of the goal and point to the person with the puck and tell his partner to go get him.  Also we got rid of one of our best defensemen Dennis Sidenberg.  Corvo is good but we are going to need more than just one defensman to compete in this league.

Ways to get better:

In my opinion this season is already screwed.  We are currently the worst team in the NHL with 7 pionts.  This would be a good season to give our young guns more playing opportunities, especially the hardest working player on the team Chad Larose.  If he can figure out a way to finish he would be one of the hurricanes scariest offensive threats, not to mention he gets back on defense (unlike staal).  At this point just finish last to get a good draft pick,  try and trade for another high pick.  Pick up a good offenseman or defenseman, at this point it doesn't matter.  Just something to mix up the team and act as a catalyst.

Another thing that needs to be mixed up is the coaching.  Have you ever noticed at hurricanes games how they announce Ron Francis and everyone cheers and then they announce Paul Maurice and everyone boos?  Thats because Maurice is not the coach for this team.  In my opinion firing coach  Laviolette was an awful decision.  He had one bad season so we just gave up on him.  Don't forget that he took us to the stanely cup and we won.  I feel like his line combinations were better, and he always knew the perfect moment to take his timeout.  Bottom line:  The fans were happy with him, he got results, so why did we get rid of him?  I like to call Maurice's offense the Diaper offense because all we do is dump and change.  IT MAKES ME SICK.

get back laviolette or a different coach, anyone but maurice.  Keep Francis though.  He definately has the player's respect.

Lastly we need better recruiting.  I've been watching teams like Detroit and Chicago and seeing how their fourth lines can play "pretty hockey."  They have vision, they can handle the puck, they can set up passing combinations, and not make it look hard.  The hurricanes FIRST line cant do that.  Seems like we havent ever been able to.  We need to find young players, keep them in the franchise, and let them grow.  Larose and Ladd are two people that stood out to me.  Larose just hasn't found the back of the net yet, and we trade Ladd, and look how well he does on Chicago.  KEEP PLAYERS LIKE THAT HERE!  Sutter is another player that seems to be maturing well.  dont let go of him.

P.S.    Feel free to criticize all you want.

THE END