The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
formerwhalerfan

We have no backup

Michael Leighton is not the same goalie he was 2 years ago.  There can be no excuses playing goal in the NHL.  So rust, confidence, new baby (Congratulations! happy.gif), poor defense in front are not an option.

He has proved by the way he played in the two chances he had so far this year that he doesn't belong in the NHL.

An NHL backup goalie has to practice hard and be ready to carry the load when called upon.  You don't step into your first opportunity after who knows how long on the bench and put up a stinker like he did in Philly.  As Tripp was saying late in that game, the team is struggling and you have a goalie in net who is not fighting to see the puck.

The short side goal he allowed last night is a rookie or AHL level mistake.  I can run up the score like that on my Playstation Hockey Game by deking right and shooting left.  His head was spinning the last two games he played.  The puck goes around the net in back and he immediately goes down and slides to the other post, trying to locate it.  He even said about the injury to Ward "I didn't see what happened," Leighton said. "All I saw was him on the ground.".

This guy is not into it, and his play shows it.

Leights did fine given the circumstances, hopefully we will bring up Murphy to back him up although the Isles are looking to dump Biron.

No way we add to payroll for this team, but trading for Biron might be an opportunity to trade a veteran. Biron makes 1.4M. Heck the Islanders might take a little more salary back their way for the right guy. They have around 16M in cap space. We could start to make room for the youth movement.

Yep, Biron is starting to look good right now. Not sure what we'd do with Leighton though - I can't imagine the Isles taking him unless they need someone in the AHL, and no way anyone takes him off waivers. Hmmm...they do have a penchant for older Centers... tongue.gifwiki-favicon-sharpened.pngfavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.ico

Seriously guys, Leighton is NOT good..simple as that. IF Cam Ward is out for a while, we are going to need someone else. Biron is a thought, but who would we trade for him? And heck, what about Manny Fernandez? I'm pretty sure he is a free agent. I know he isn't great, but I'd be willing to bet he is a heck of a lot better than Leighton.. Just a thought..

I thought that he did a good job last night until after the first goal. After that the entire team shut down. I was hopeful the Leights would be able to perform the way he did against the Sharks last season but I guess that we need to look for a more solid backup.

Since the Canes aren't in a position to make any kind of run right now, it wouldn't surprise me and actually makes some sense to give Peters his chance.  Even if Leighton finds his game he's going to need help and Peters has been next in line for some time now.  In the meantime, JR could be serving notice to one of the goaltenders sitting out waiting for a team to call so they can get into game shape.  Its not exactly a great situation to walk into but it is an NHL paycheck.

JR can use this situation to audition the future back up for Cam since Leighton's contract will be up soon and Maurice made it pretty clear (whether or not he meant to) that he had little confidence in Leighton's game.  I hope Leighton plays with a chip on his shoulder and proves Maurice wrong but I guess he's going to need the team in front of him to help.

Maurice made it pretty clear (whether or not he meant to) that he had little confidence in Leighton's game.  I hope Leighton plays with a chip on his shoulder and proves Maurice wrong but I guess he's going to need the team in front of him to help.

I hope that happens also, or it may be too late to right this ship.  It may be too late already.

Legace is still free isn't he? He's make a good one season acquisition with a low cap hit. Or we could assume a classic JR move: anyone know if Gerber has an NHL-out clause? smile.gif Even better, is Irbe too old to suit up? He can't be enjoying himself in Washington.

Leighton would be better and have more confidence IF Mo had given him some more games.

He's a professional (or, he's supposed to be).  Ward is the #1 goalie, he won The Cup.  Leighton knows this.  When he does get the call, that is his opportunity to show he can be counted on in a backup roll, because obviously the team doesn't need another #1.  He has failed to show me that he is prepared when he does get the opportunity to start a game, and that he is able to carry the team if Ward is unavailable.

If he wants to blame his lackluster play on lack of game time or rust then he is with the wrong team because that is his role with this team.

If he wants more playing time, he's gonna get it for the next 4 weeks.  I will be surprised if he can handle it.

i don't care what he did in the minors...i have never felt comforatable with him...i did not feel good about storr or crackers. we need a new backup.

I Agree as Leighton has no rebound control and is so shaky.  I would take Biron right now. Heck I would love to have Gerbs back as he is much better than Leighton

get  someone, dont  think leights is up too it, and the  nightmare  continues, ex  cane     justin williams  broken fibula  , who jabbed the   cane vudoo   doll? 

get  someone, dont  think leights is up too it, and the  nightmare  continues, ex  cane     justin williams  broken fibula  , who jabbed the   cane vudoo   doll? 
I think that was Jason Williams.  Justin Williams will be here on Wed scoring goals against us just as all our ex-players do. wink.gif

Yeah it was Jason Williams from the red wings broke his fibula not Justin Williams who is the former cane now playing for LA

For what it is worth, I just listened to WRAL 11:00 PM news. They talked about Cam's injury and said they hoped he would return

home tomorrow (Mon).

From the WRAL website tonight:

Rutherford says the Hurricanes may call up goaltender Justin Peters from Albany to back up Michael Leighton, but their primary focus will be to obtain another netminder through a trade."We're looking outside of the organization," Rutherford said. "That's what I've been working on all day, and we hope to get something done."

So, I guess we wait and see----------------------------- sounds like he is not ready to throw in the towel on the season. 

Michael Leighton is not the same goalie he was 2 years ago.  There can be no excuses playing goal in the NHL.  So rust, confidence, new baby (Congratulations! happy.gif), poor defense in front are not an option.

He has proved by the way he played in the two chances he had so far this year that he doesn't belong in the NHL.

An NHL backup goalie has to practice hard and be ready to carry the load when called upon.  You don't step into your first opportunity after who knows how long on the bench and put up a stinker like he did in Philly.  As Tripp was saying late in that game, the team is struggling and you have a goalie in net who is not fighting to see the puck.

The short side goal he allowed last night is a rookie or AHL level mistake.  I can run up the score like that on my Playstation Hockey Game by deking right and shooting left.  His head was spinning the last two games he played.  The puck goes around the net in back and he immediately goes down and slides to the other post, trying to locate it.  He even said about the injury to Ward "I didn't see what happened," Leighton said. "All I saw was him on the ground.".

Last I checked this team has ONLY won 2 games out of 16. Leighton has ONLY played in 2 games. If the team was winning in front of Cam, you might have point, but I can't even remember the last time Cam won a game. If Cam who is an elite goalie can't win games with this team, how do you expect a back up too?

If we go off of what you are saying, guess Cam isn't a true #1 either since he's only won 2 games, right. 

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

formerwhalerfan']
Michael Leighton is not the same goalie he was 2 years ago.  There can be no excuses playing goal in the NHL.  So rust, confidence, new baby (Congratulations!
happy.gif
), poor defense in front are not an option.

Last I checked this team has ONLY won 2 games out of 16. Leighton has ONLY played in 2 games. If the team was winning in front of Cam, you might have point, but I can't even remember the last time Cam won a game. If Cam who is an elite goalie can't win games with this team, how do you expect a back up too?

If we go off of what you are saying, guess Cam isn't a true #1 either since he's only won 2 games, right. 

I understand your point, and it's a good one.  

From what I'veseen in Cam's play, at times he's stood on his head already this yearto try and get the team a win.  But, the team can't score to supporthim.  Tripp has said many times (of the opponents too) remember Thatsave!  Because that could be the difference in the game.  The rest ofthe team has shown no magic and no ability to finish in spite of Cam'splay which at times has looked very good.

With Cam giving upclose to 3 goals a game, the team would have to average over 4obviously to win.  Cam is the go to guy in net, so in back of a teamthat can't score he gets the loses in his stats.

That was oneissue I had with Laviolette, I think he wanted to split up thegoaltending duties during the season so no one would burn out.  Mauricecame in and obviously said Cam has a cup, he's number one, he's theworkhorse, let's see how he does.  Seems he has said the same aboutCorvo and Pitkanen.  These guys are well paid professionals, let's seewhat they've got.

In the opportunitiesMichael has had, he has looked weak.  Most backups would relish thechance to start.  He has looked amateurish, unsure, rusty, notchallenged the shooter, too deep in net, overcommiting on shots, non ofwhich are qualities that keep you in an NHL level goalie position,backup or not.  Kevin Weekes, or even Steve Weeks (he relieved aninjured Mike Liut in 1986 playoffs), or even Martin Gerber, were allgood quality backups.  Remember when Cam needed relief in 2006 in theplayoffs?  Gerber stepped in to game in the third round having notplayed since game one in the first round and got a win.  Excellent!

Kudos to Mr. Rutherford for signing Legace and not throwing in the towel on this season.   

Leighton played good in todays game, he made some great saves especially in the shootout.  I'm glad he got the win! 

He totally sucked on the third goal though, and the Wild Announcers described it best.  They basically said he went down on the initial shot and was at a terrible angle, but then he never got up.  He tried to stretch to make the save at the other post..  If he goes down, he has to get up and recover to make the next save.  I hope he realizes and works on that.

Hell we might need a new starter. Let's hope this isn't a serious injury for Ward.

That's why Manny was brought in. He took a team like STL, who was at one point in a very similar situation to what the 'Canes are in now, and raelly helped turn the tides there.

Everyone's hoping he'll do the ssame for Carolina. The 'Canes have the talent to go far, they just all need to get on the same page. Right now they're spending way too much time trying to overcompensate for eachother rather than just playing their own positions and making the game a lot simpler.

May I remind everyone that Ward was not playing his best hockey. 2.97 GAA and .899 SV% is not good for a starter and this team has been going nowhere fast this season. His injury may be a blessing in disguise forcing the team to step up and play better hockey. Also maybe when he returns, he will pick up his play and well see the Cam Ward that we're used to seeing.