The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GreatsavebyGerber

-= Part 5, getting to know your fellow board members: What is your home town (where you were born)?

Riga, Latvia. Never moved anywhere else.

hmm..I'm guessing your a fan of Irbe. :mrgreen:

To be honest, I dont like him much. During his games at Carolina he was good, very good, but now he plays awful. :? By the way he is very political person. He tries to show his political thoughts and hates Russia. I am not on his side.

Although he played for us just few seasons, I liked Ozolinsh more.

But if you ask about my favourite Latvian NHL player - I would say Sergei Zholtok. Very sad he isnt with us anymore (died few seasons ago during the match). REAL PERSON! REAL MAN. REAL PATRIOT, NOT ON WORDS (like Irbe), BUT WITH WORK!

Asheville, North Carolina

Raised in Burnsville, North Carolina (we don't have a hospital)

I've woke up to see this every morning of my life (well except when I was somewhere else or here at school) Kind of a crappy photo but it was with my phone, Mount Mitchell is actually in that pic...............good ole front porch

Asheville, North Carolina

Raised in Burnsville, North Carolina (we don't have a hospital)

I've woke up to see this every morning of my life (well except when I was somewhere else or here at school) Kind of a crappy photo but it was with my phone, Mount Mitchell is actually in that pic...............good ole front porch

Whoa that is bee-yoo-tee-fuul

Our mountains are bigger than your mountains :D

Although your whole state is like one big mountain so I guess you've got us there

Our mountains are so big, you can't get them in the picture. =.) There's actually a place on I-77 coming back (from WV to Raleigh, that is) that looks a bit like your picture. The interstate runs along the side of a ridge, next to a bit of a valley, so you can see the mountains stacked in front of each other.

The first time I went to Asheville from Raleigh, I loved the drive because it was so much like home.

West Va is a fine place, I've been through there a few times, it does feel a lot like home, then again once you get up into the part that border Maryland, ah not so much, almost froze to death there a few times though next to the Potomac

p.s. how do they say the word "Appalachian" in your neck of the woods, because if you say it like AppalaSHian around here, you will be killed, just a heads up

p.s. how do they say the word "Appalachian" in your neck of the woods, because if you say it like AppalaSHian around here, you will be killed, just a heads up

People who pronounce it that way get a big ol' :roll: in my neck of the woods. It's one of those things that sets my teeth on edge. I remember seeing a "Jeopardy!" ep where Alex pronounced it "shun" and I was screaming at the TV, "If the people who live there don't pronounce it that way, then no one else should either!"

I haven't been to the eastern panhandle much. Went to Harper's Ferry once and that may be the extent of my northeast West Virginia travels. I'm from the southern part of the state, just outside Charleston. http://www.city-data.com/city/Sissonville-West-Virginia.html

My hometown is exactly where my current location is. Sigh.

And kermelbar, Alex is only good at the foreign pronunciations. He can't do Southern pronunciations very well, haha. Well, then again, when he came to Raleigh for the College Championship, he didn't do so bad. The crowd loved his "git 'er done". :lol:

We pronounce it:

ap - uh- la* -- chuhn

* like in "black"

There's not a single "hard" vowel in the whole word, but the Merriam-Webster site has both versions with hard "e" or hard "a" sounds. No freakin' way is it pronounced that way, not where it is, anyway.

And the area is:

ap-uh-la-chuh