The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GreatsavebyGerber

-= Part 5, getting to know your fellow board members: What is your home town (where you were born)?

Hey it could be worse, you could be from Sanford, Vanceboro, or Robbinsville (3 worst towns in the state in my opinion)

OMG, Vanceboro?!?! What, w/ its one cop car & two officers sitting by the one stop light that they have in town to catch the speeders who'll miss the town if they blink??? LMAO!!!

hahaha yeah I went through it once while I was way down east, holy crap it sucked, I'll tell you though probably the worst is Robbinsville, it's like a full blown town and man it's really really bad

It's 'like' a full-blown town? LOL!

I lived in New Bern for 10 1/2 years, so I know all about Vanceboro. We used to take that road to get to Greenville (remember the old Attic?)

It's 'like' a full-blown town? LOL!

I lived in New Bern for 10 1/2 years, so I know all about Vanceboro. We used to take that road to get to Greenville (remember the old Attic?)

WOW... 300 did you used to go to the Attic??? That was the hottest party spot in the entire state when I was of wild and crazy age..... absolutely loved that place!!!!!

South Bend, Indiana home of the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. Some surprise in that, eh? First home, lived across the street from the ND football coach and most of the staff and the Public Information director - the latter guy, Charlie Callahan, ended up being tapped by the Miami Dolphins of the NFL when they were first an expansion team. So of course, we had to root for all ND grads in professional sports (still do, a family tradition) AND follow the Dolphins to support Charlie. Second home was on the St.Joe River not far from campus and from our front yard, we could look directly across and see the Golden Dome of the Administrative Building. I loved listening to the band practice every day in the fall, and the sounds on Saturday that would drift from the stadium. When I wasn't at the games, of course. It was a different time and it was all so much more accessible then, and not the monstrous hoopla that attends everything there now. I'm glad I "knew it when"...

My Mom's parents are buried in the cemetery on campus, and a lot of the family has graduated from there. My mom was *edit*'t registrar and used to do all the graduations until the year they decided to bring in some Republican President of the United States (Reagan? I have forgotten) as the Commencement speaker and she went ballistic. She did a ton of charity work and whoever he was, he'd gutted a ton of programs helping the poor (could have been ol' Rigby who declared ketchup a vegetable and therefore a legitimate "serving" of vegetables in the school lunch programs of the USDA even though tomatoes are really a fruit, but I digress) and she was not going to support his appearance. Father Ted (that's Hesburgh) was actually afraid she might 'do' something. Gotta watch those Irish-German Catholic women who are used to getting their own way! Anyway, she retired with great fanfare (they even gave her an honorary degree) and was happier anyway. Oh, my, I have stories!

And my beloved long-time-the-butt-of-college-hockey-jokes-everywhere ND Irish are now RANKED #5 IN NCAA HOCKEY and playing tonite and sunday... Michigan State, I believe. Life would be wonderful if Prince Charming would come along and wake my Princess Canes from their sleep of effing death. (maybe my Mom could come from the dead and kick some a## but she never cared for hockey so good luck getting her to scare these guys awake for us. sigh. What's a good Irish-German-kick- butt ghost if they won't work with you ???)