The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Carolina-Thunderbirds

Brown bagging

brownpapernats1.jpg

Anyone started doing this at the home games yet?   How would you feel about fans doing this?

yep, someone was wandering around the 300 section like that.

I'd be pretty pissed at anyone doing this. We're off to our worst start yet, but I will wear my Canes gear proudly on days when we play, at home or in the stadium. I'll show my face and make sure everyone knows I'm a Caniac through and through. I'm not a fair weather fan. I'm proud of what we've accomplished as a team in the past (as recently as last year) and am confident that we'll pull through this slump and emerge a better team for it. Win or lose, hell or high water, I'm a proud Canes fan.

You can do what you like if you pay for a ticket. That being said atleast we have a team to get excited about and get upset with. There are good times and bad, bad times brought us Staal and Ward, good times brought us playoff appearances and a stanley cup. Its hard to get behind a team thats playing so terrible and when you feel like they aren't giving their all why give your all? That being said this franchise can be gone overnight and you won't have anywhere to wear your paper bag to. In times like these those players need support and this franchise needs you in the seats more than ever. If you wear your paper bag now don't hop back on the bandwagon in times of success.

There are pro sports franchises out there who deserve to have their fans show up wearing paper bags over their heads. (And a few who should wear plastic bags, as well.)

Ours isn't one of them. Yeah, things haven't panned out this year the way we hoped, and our two top guys are out. But just because management is waiting to pull the trigger on a coaching change or other changes doesn't mean you should protest, be it via the paper bag or otherwise.

That being said, if they wanna show up like that - fine. Makes it easier to spot the bandwagoners.

There are pro sports franchises out there who deserve to have their fans show up wearing paper bags over their heads. (And a few who should wear plastic bags, as well.)

Ours isn't one of them. Yeah, things haven't panned out this year the way we hoped, and our two top guys are out. But just because management is waiting to pull the trigger on a coaching change or other changes doesn't mean you should protest, be it via the paper bag or otherwise.

That being said, if they wanna show up like that - fine. Makes it easier to spot the bandwagoners.

roll.gif at the plastic bag comment

And right on about the bandwagoners.  IMO, if you can't support your team through good times and bad, then the fanbase is better off without you.  I, for one, will proudly wear my Canes gear if for no other reason than to show others that I'm not just a fan when we have a winning record.  

Wearing a brown bag isn't that creative; anyone who wishes to express his displease needs to come-up with something that is creative and meets the family-friendly guideline of Canes management.

I don't have a problem with it.  If it gives that person an outlet to let the team know how frustrated they are fine.  I would much rather have that than hear the guy yelling at the players how bad they are especially with the many families that attend games. Do the Canes like it? No.  Do they understand why said brown bagger is doing it?  Absolutely.  All they have to do to change it is win.  Winning has always been the cure all.  We are 4 losses away from tying the NHL record losing streak! 

I appreciate the responses.. I don't understand a few of them, the ones that would call a brown bagger a bandwagoner for starters. I have been a season ticket holder off and on since 2001. Now that I live outside the Triangle I make it to 10-12 games per season. I am strongly considering brown bagging my up coming games. I will still be wearing my jersey, as I do to every game I attend. I am by no means a bandwagoner fan. I ride the wave of wins and losses just like the rest of you, but I for one am appalled at the game we play that is being passed off as NHL Hockey..

Brown bagging I believe is the best way for a fan to show displeasure with the product that we are paying our hard earned money to go see.

Agree 100% with this.  We are not the Detroit Lions - a team that exhibits ineptitude on every single level.  We are not the Kansas City Royals - a team that fields players with a combined payroll 1/4 of the league average.  I certainly understand the frustration, but this team does not deserve the brown bag treatment.  It doesn't really piss me off or anything, but it is definitely not called for.

I appreciate the responses.. I don't understand a few of them, the ones that would call a brown bagger a bandwagoner for starters. I have been a season ticket holder off and on since 2001. Now that I live outside the Triangle I make it to 10-12 games per season. I am strongly considering brown bagging my up coming games. I will still be wearing my jersey, as I do to every game I attend. I am by no means a bandwagoner fan. I ride the wave of wins and losses just like the rest of you, but I for one am appalled at the game we play that is being passed off as NHL Hockey..

Brown bagging I believe is the best way for a fan to show displeasure with the product that we are paying our hard earned money to go see.

Point understood about the bandwagoner labeling.  Perhaps bandwagoner isn't the right word....  I just don't see the point.  Do the players know the season is in deep trouble?  Yes.  Do they need so-called fans showing up to games with bags over their heads to make them aware of it?  No.  Does anyone think that helps???  I mean, for crying out loud - it's obvious that one of the problems this team has right now is confidence.  

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion.  And others, myself included, are entitled to think that those engaging in this kind of behavior are classless and an embarrassment to the fanbase.  

If anybody wears one and is sitting in front of me, I hope that bag has room for the knot that will be the result of a blunt object blow to the head.  I'm not looking over and around that thing while I'm cheering the Canes to victory.

Suckage should go on for years, not weeks, before a brown bag is sported.

If anybody wears one and is sitting in front of me, I hope that bag has room for the knot that will be the result of a blunt object blow to the head.  I'm not looking over and around that thing while I'm cheering the Canes to victory.

Suckage should go on for years, not weeks, before a brown bag is sported.

Amen. I would be extremely upset if I saw a "Hurricanes fan" wearing a brown bag over their heads. We are not even remotely close to that yet. I mean how embarrassing/humiliating would it be to do that to your team? And other fans? 

Idk...I would just have a very hard time not yanking the bag of their face and asking them exactly what the hell they were doing. 

ah yes, violence.. lovely..  so what section, row, and seat should i request super-dave?  thumbdown.gif

Violence only if your bag blocked my view.  You'll need to be on the front row in 332 to get in front of me.

There was a guy sporting his brown bag in section 101 at the last home game.  Sorry, but I won't be doing that.  Whatever floats the bandwagoners boat I say.  LOL
That happen to be me!

You obviously didnt know that Ive been a season ticket holder since 02-03

I guess you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine at the game.

Besides, I upgraded my ticket to 175.00 x 2 to watch the game.

Showing your displeasure and paying to be at the game , no harm no foul!

I'd be pretty pissed at anyone doing this. We're off to our worst start yet, but I will wear my Canes gear proudly on days when we play, at home or in the stadium. I'll show my face and make sure everyone knows I'm a Caniac through and through. I'm not a fair weather fan. I'm proud of what we've accomplished as a team in the past (as recently as last year) and am confident that we'll pull through this slump and emerge a better team for it. Win or lose, hell or high water, I'm a proud Canes fan.
i disagree... people are just trying to bring some amusement into the arena... clearly they are still supporting the team and care about the team if they're still coming to the games

[quote name='panama7996 wrote:

Ghouliegirl']There was a guy sporting his brown bag in section 101 at the last home game.  Sorry, but I won't be doing that.  Whatever floats the bandwagoners boat I say.  LOL

That happen to be me!

well said... i actually saw your bag and my girlfriend and i laughed out loud... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the fans bringing humor into the games.  people who disagree with that also think it's a shame when fans boo their teams for not producing....

[quote name='crutca06 wrote:

panama7996 wrote:

Ghouliegirl']There was a guy sporting his brown bag in section 101 at the last home game.  Sorry, but I won't be doing that.  Whatever floats the bandwagoners boat I say.  LOL

That happen to be me!

well said... i actually saw your bag and my girlfriend and i laughed out loud... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the fans bringing humor into the games.  people who disagree with that also think it's a shame when fans boo their teams for not producing....

Thats right!

You got to find  a way to find humor in the slump we are in!

The money they are making and the money Im paying - while losing 12 games isnt funny!

Do you have a right to wear a bag on your head?  Sure, of course...

Should you?  No, IMO.  We as a fanbase have put up with a lot of crap to get to the point where we are starting to prove that hockey in the south DOES work, on both the franchise and fanbase levels.  This kind of thing is a step backwards for the Caniac Nation's image.