The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The official rant about Maurice and JR thread

Hi Andy, let me save you time.  You're going to find the board somewhat split about this.  Many will be in the "Mo must Go" camp, many will be in the "the team is old and slow and changing the coach wont matter" and a few are sitting on the fence not convinced one way or another about him.  Since we've only had 2 head coaches in our short history, its tough to know if he's truly the worst, best or anywhere inbetween because there's not much to compare it to. 

Welcome aboard, hope I saved you some time.  I think you'll find that coaching has been quite a hot topic around here since last Christmas.

Nah I think JR does alright, he's a great GM and shows flashes of brilliance.  My only problem with him right this moment is that there seems to be no action taken about our current coaching situation.  I'm sure the biggest reason we haven't seen a change yet is the contract thing, but I mean come on Maurice coached us to the ECF last year, why not award him a contract.  I'm sure Maurice isn't the only reason we're sucking right now, but a coaching change, with a more offensive oriented goal (pun intended) would spark this team.  Can we make the playoffs at this point?  Probably not, but we need something, we need hope.  And Mo gives us none

2002-03 seems eerily similar to this season.  Which means we'll keep Mo next year and be mediocre at best again next season, fire him, get a coach that shakes the system up, win the Stanley Cup in 11-12 and then be back here at square 1 again.

Time to end the re-run.  Mo Hockey didn't work in 2003, 2004 and it isn't working now in 2009.

NO team spark;  NO team offense, NO consistent defense, NO positive game plan, NO player passion, NO Speed,  NO NOTHING.

It's time for NO MO !

It's a coaching problem.   The problem between the players ears is the coaching staff's fault.

MO Hockey Must GO !!!

MO Hockey Must GO !!!

MO Hockey Must GO !!!

MO Hockey Must GO !!!

MO Hockey Must GO !!!

ASAP, PLEASE !

There's no other coach in the NHL with more than 1 year of experience that has a worse record than Paul Maurice. Read that again.

I hate to say it, but I sincerely hope this losing streak continues until he's fired or he resigns. If we manage to go on some mirage of a hot streak later to make the numbers look better at season end, I fear we'll keep him and ruin next season to.

This season is over. Period. It sucks to say that, but when you lose 15 of 17, that's the reality. Time to start planning for next year, and that includes identifying and hiring a competent coach.

While this is/has been/will be a very frustrating season, we could use the draft pick.  Our team really needed a re-build when we missed the playoffs in 07.  Instead, we recycled, changed coaches, added more geezers, retained geezers, and keep our talent couped up in Albany.  We ought to just shoot for the draft pick.  We need massive youth/talent injection here to help.  Staal, Ruutu, Sutter, Cam Ward are keepers......build the team around them.  Youth is key.  Speed. 

I think JR was just trying to hold the SC team together as much as possible, but it just wasn't/isn't there.  Its time to give up the ghost on the lemon and rebuild.  That may be somewhat JR's doing, but no reason to fire him....it works usually, but that is on young teams.  Our team was pretty old in 06.  Mo doesn't have a chance.  You can't turn a volkswagen into a Porsche.  There is not much the coach can do there. 

Nothing is going to happen to either JR or PM this year.  The club is paying for two coaches already and until our last failure is off the books Paul isn't going anywhere.  Players will be dumped this year but it will be later in the season for that to happen.  The way our players are getting injured in every game we will be seeing plenty of Rats coming up to the NHL level and that will tell who we want to move up later this year or next year at the latest.  Wholesale changes next year for players we don't move this year, contracts not being renewed and shedding of "veterans" will happen.  Looks like we are aiming for the 1st pick in the draft. 

This should have happen before now but our miracle run last year prevented that from happening.  Age is finally catching up to us...embarassed.gif

While this is/has been/will be a very frustrating season, we could use the draft pick.  Our team really needed a re-build when we missed the playoffs in 07.  Instead, we recycled, changed coaches, added more geezers, retained geezers, and keep our talent couped up in Albany.  We ought to just shoot for the draft pick.  We need massive youth/talent injection here to help.  Staal, Ruutu, Sutter, Cam Ward are keepers......build the team around them.  Youth is key.  Speed. 

I think JR was just trying to hold the SC team together as much as possible, but it just wasn't/isn't there.  Its time to give up the ghost on the lemon and rebuild.  That may be somewhat JR's doing, but no reason to fire him....it works usually, but that is on young teams.  Our team was pretty old in 06.  Mo doesn't have a chance.  You can't turn a volkswagen into a Porsche.  There is not much the coach can do there. 

You are correct sir

Look at every other team (besides Detroit) in the NHL.  Youth is the way to go

When the team brought Mo in midseason last year, I viewed it as an interim deal with no real downside. It hinged on two factors: 1) does Francis really want to coach? and 2) how would the team perform? This left 4 possible outcomes.

1. Francis wants to coach and the team wins. Turn the team over to Ronnie going into 09-10.

2. Francis wants to coach and the team loses. "Fire" (as much as you can in an interim basis) Mo and go with Francis.

3. Francis doesn't want to coach and the team loses. Start fresh with a new staff. Either go with Rowe or find someone else.

4. Francis doesn't want to coach and the team wins. Decide whether Mo is the guy or look elsewhere.

Turns out we got the most desirable outcome for last year - deep playoff run. However, that seems to have been a bad thing going forward because Mo was given a contract based upon last year's run. Of course, had you told everyone last December that Maurice was going to be a long term hire, there would've been a riot. One is brewing now - except now the team has lost 13 in a row.

If Mo/J.R. wants to save some face:

1. Waive A Ward. His lack of defense is dragging the entire team down. Thanks for what you did in the Cup run.

2. Waive Wallen. Not as bad as #1 but see #1. Rodney takes his place very nicely.

3. I like Walker and keep hoping to see more from Yelle...but while they are down, bring in Boychuk and Bowman (or the Samson kid scores a lot - don't know much about him)...and actually PLAY them. Correction. PLAY THEM MORE than two minutes.

4. Play Tommy more.

5. Brindy. You're done. Thanks for all you have done. Time to pass the torch. Minimal time.

This season is a wash for the playoffs. Go ahead and prepare for next season by giving the young guns some solid exposure to the big league.

I would rather have a good time watching the rookies than the frustration of the product on the ice we currently have. It's beyond funny now and you are messing with the mental state of the quality players we DO have.

Step One of a Ten Step Program...

1. Waive A Ward. His lack of defense is dragging the entire team down. Thanks for what you did in the Cup run.

2. Waive Wallen. Not as bad as #1 but see #1. Rodney takes his place very nicely.

3. I like Walker and keep hoping to see more from Yelle...but while they are down, bring in Boychuk and Bowman (or the Samson kid scores a lot - don't know much about him)...and actually PLAY them. Correction. PLAY THEM MORE than two minutes.

4. Play Tommy more.

5. Brindy. You're done. Thanks for all you have done. Time to pass the torch. Minimal time.

This season is a wash for the playoffs. Go ahead and prepare for next season by giving the young guns some solid exposure to the big league.

I would rather have a good time watching the rookies than the frustration of the product on the ice we currently have. It's beyond funny now and you are messing with the mental state of the quality players we DO have.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the effort that Kostopoulos brings for the few minutes he gets.  He deserves way more TOI.  TOI should be dished out on performance, not on loyalties and heartstrings.

4. Play Tommy more.

Well said.  AWard and Wallin are done.  Brindy needs to step down. 

They need to stop being so sentimental with the older players.  We have appreciated everything done in the past but it is time to move on. 

Make that a 12-step program, and that is to admit one has a problem. But the Canes' problem(s) are deeper than just replacing the coach. Adding "beef" to the defense has produced only a slower defense. The Canes offense is simply offensive. It seems that Dancing Granny could produce a bigger spark on the PP. When a recent call-up from the Rats is one of the team's leading scorers one msut admit that "Raleigh, we have a problem."

4. Play Tommy more.

I would rather have a good time watching the rookies than the frustration of the product on the ice we currently have.

1 and 2.  I agree on their play, but we are up against the cap (amazing with what we have to show for it) and in reality, we need to dump some salary to bring anybody up.  If they are waived, they are still on the cap and getting paid.  That make this one hard to do, but I agree that we'd be better off.

3.  If anybody is brought up from Albany, they need to get some minutes.

4.  Kostopolous should get a chance.  Nobody else seems to want to step up.

5.  4th line and bought out in the summer.

Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself (although I think I've said similar things here).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com...ew-ways-to-lose/56/24249

And yes, Ward was brutal last night. I believe we're beginning to see that any success he had in Boston was tied to the fact that he was partnered with Chara. Partner him with someone of lesser talent -- and really almost everyone has lesser talent than Chara -- and formerly salvageable mistakes become glaring weaknesses.

My rant:

Why is it so difficult for JR/Mo to have the talk with Brind'Amour. Here, let me make the case for you:

Rod, you're a valuable member of our franchise. We need you to help guide our young talent into mature NHL'ers. However, that means they need ice time. You'll be dressed for some games, but not others. You'll take faceoffs for us at times, but not always. We need you during this transition, can we count on you as always?

There, now do it!

Just thinking out loud here... Last year when Brindy went out with the injury, Staal stepped up his game and leadership of the team. We got hot and went on to the ECF. Has anyone else considered that when Brindy came back and still wore the "C" on his sweater that it set Staal back mentally? Not saying that Staal isn't a team player or that he doesn't respects the he** out of what Brindy has done in his career, but does anyone else think it may have bothered him? Just wondering......