The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The official rant about Maurice and JR thread

I believe the biggest problem the Canes have right now is the General Manager, he's the one that has made the bad decisions not the team, nor the coaches.

Plus I'm sure he's putting unwarranted pressure on the team.

It's time for Rutherford to go.

Have to disagree with ya on this one Hockey God,,, he isn't on the ice and the players and coaches aren't playing/coaching up to their potential!

It's usually the coach that is the 1st one to go but i feel it's more the players than the coaches. Is the coaching great no but the play is even worse!

TKO is a third line grinder...not a 4th line thug. I was also afraid that no one could see that. Put TKO on the second line with Sutter- i have a feeling that TKO can both mentor Sutter, cover Sutter's butt when he makes a mistake (which he will) and be productive.

Keeping TKO on the 4th line is a waste of a third line player.

My beef with JR; this scrapping the bottom of the barrel will not work for long. We need to go for talent, not cheapness. This is why we are in this situation, instead of going for 2 players of proven caliber, we got 5 or so question marks all with a consistency of mediocrity (though i do like Alberts- he is big and fast. We keep him) or old players who should retire.

So come march, if we are not in the playoffs (no suprise if this is true), get rid of everyone over 30 minus Cole and TKO if TKO will take a price drop. Waive em, trade em, make their life hell so they quit cursing us i dont care, get them off this team. Rod/Wallin/Ward/Whitney did great things for this franchise, but if they saw how they will affect the team (negative) in the long run, then the greatest thing they could do right now is move on.

Also, Whitney will not be a great producer forever. Trade him while he still has value (not now, march).

My rant:

Why is it so difficult for JR/Mo to have the talk with Brind'Amour. Here, let me make the case for you:

Rod, you're a valuable member of our franchise. We need you to help guide our young talent into mature NHL'ers. However, that means they need ice time. You'll be dressed for some games, but not others. You'll take faceoffs for us at times, but not always. We need you during this transition, can we count on you as always?

There, now do it!

Yeah I could handle doing that for 3 million dollars

The problem is Karamoneys is worried only about the bottom line, couldn't find his +*+ with both hands when it comes to hockey.  JR is sacless and does what ever he is told, thats why he scrapes the bottom of the barrel, they come cheap.  Letting Lavy go, needed a fall guy and a scapegoat, those two don't have enough nads between them to accept responsibility.  The only thing Lavy did was bring a winning attitude, a family atmosphere and ....what was that thing, oh yeah the Stanley Cup.  Unfortunately, Canes fans will have to deal with an inferior product for a while until things change at the top and downward.  Remember the old adage, a fish rots from the Head down, and this organization stinks now!

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

Manwolf']My rant:

Why is it so difficult for JR/Mo to have the talk with Brind'Amour. Here, let me make the case for you:

Rod, you're a valuable member of our franchise. We need you to help guide our young talent into mature NHL'ers. However, that means they need ice time. You'll be dressed for some games, but not others. You'll take faceoffs for us at times, but not always. We need you during this transition, can we count on you as always?

There, now do it!

Yeah I could handle doing that for 3 million dollars

I make far less than that, and I'm not even asking for comp on the advice smile.gif

Three times in the past decade this team has outperformed its talent level.  I think that may have spoiled the fans to the point where they get confused when what should happen on the ice does happen. 

In 03-04 when Maurice was fired, Joe Vasicek was the leading scorer.  Sean Hill was 4th in goals scored with 13.  Which coach do people think was taking that team anywhere's but the basement.

Right now, our team has 2 scoring lines, and the top one is Whitney/Sutter/Cole.  We don't play any teams with less goal scoring ability than our team has.  That's why we are losing.  There is no system or line combination that is going to change this. 

It is just about all I can take watching our team right now. Watching this team is SO BORING. And the signing of Alberts has been a real bust. HE has no clue when to pinch and is constantly getting beat out of the corners. Example is goal # 3 when he pinched and set up Anaheim's 2 on 0 break. and the second goal where he got beat to the front of the net. He is big and slow and that is not what we need. We should have signed Seidenberg. He wanted to stay here and probably did deserve what he is making in Florida.  Maurice came in last year and adapted Peter's system but this year went right back to his one person in on the forecheck and thus we are back to our losing ways. Granted we did not make the playoffs the last 2 years of Peter's stay here but at least we were # 9 for those 2 years and were real close to making the playoffs.  AND we were a fun team to watch. But now last place again with Maurice and on our way to a high draft pick. Watching us now is like watching paint dry. Karmanos said that Peter had the perfect storm and was not a good coach but I totally disagree. MO  MUST GO!!! MO MUST GO!!!!

Yea, hard to believe that I miss Lavi's maddeningly inconsistent 'Canes team over the current one. But the players are playing better, we're getting guys back, and Legace is getting hot.

But yet, we still look bad. What else can it be besides the coaching staff? We're stuck with Maurice for at least this season, but I am so disappointed in JR for giving Maurice the new contract for just one good playoff run. What a mess we have now.

Have to disagree with ya on this one Hockey God,,, he isn't on the ice and the players and coaches aren't playing/coaching up to their potential!

It's usually the coach that is the 1st one to go but i feel it's more the players than the coaches. Is the coaching great no but the play is even worse!

The coaches make the decision on who is out on the ice. Why the hell would you give Sutter (one of our best players right now) the same amount of minutes as Brindy (OUR WORST PLAYER)? Because Mo lets the VETS call the shots.

We need a COACH or a GM to step it up and CLEAN HOUSE! Someone to say "Peace out Brindy!" Out with the old and in with the NEW! You are getting paid $3 mil - I don't feel sorry for you. You have had a wonderful career. Cry all the way to the bank and HOF.  Can we please grow some n*ts and get this taken care of? Do we have to keep this up for another SEASON?

Nah I think JR does alright, he's a great GM and shows flashes of brilliance.  My only problem with him right this moment is that there seems to be no action taken about our current coaching situation.  I'm sure the biggest reason we haven't seen a change yet is the contract thing, but I mean come on Maurice coached us to the ECF last year, why not award him a contract.  I'm sure Maurice isn't the only reason we're sucking right now, but a coaching change, with a more offensive oriented goal (pun intended) would spark this team.  Can we make the playoffs at this point?  Probably not, but we need something, we need hope.  And Mo gives us none

2002-03 seems eerily similar to this season.  Which means we'll keep Mo next year and be mediocre at best again next season, fire him, get a coach that shakes the system up, win the Stanley Cup in 11-12 and then be back here at square 1 again.

Right now it shouldn't be about making the playoffs.. it should be about getting some chemistry going, scoring some goals and maybe.. just maybe get a few great winning streaks together. All this team does is try to play with a lead, but you can't do that if you don't score.. and 1 goal doesn't help the cause. I've pulled my hair out and screamed at the t.v. at every so-called powerplay, shoot the frickin' puck already, maybe something good will happen! Sutter has been the only reason I continue to watch this team play (and Manny, and Cullen). I'm officially jumping aboard people... MO MUST GO!!!

we did not make the playoffs the last 2 years of Peter's stay here but at least we were # 9 for those 2 years and were real close to making the playoffs.  AND we were a fun team to watch.

Lavi had severe injuries to deal with too.  In retrospect, he made the best out of the situation.  This year, maybe one could argue the injuries are worse (although not at the beginning, when the team was already in trouble), but in any case, this team is now 30th in every way measurable.  

It's really a friggin' disaster, a horror show. 

Maybe I have some of PK and JR's genes, because I've never been a Mo must go guy.  But... It is welling up in me.  I'm coming to that side.  Something has to be done.  There's no killer instinct in this team.  It is painful.

[quote name='wxray1 wrote:

woos']we did not make the playoffs the last 2 years of Peter's stay here but at least we were # 9 for those 2 years and were real close to making the playoffs.  AND we were a fun team to watch.

Lavi had severe injuries to deal with too.  In retrospect, he made the best out of the situation.  This year, maybe one could argue the injuries are worse (although not at the beginning, when the team was already in trouble), but in any case, this team is now 30th in every way measurable.  

Maybe I have some of PK and JR's genes, because I've never been a Mo must go guy.  But... It is welling up in me.  I'm coming to that side.  Something has to be done.  There's no killer instinct in this team.  It is painful.

I kept it inside for a long time.. but the healing begins when you realize.. it is the coach(es)! Go ahead.. say it with me, MO MUST GO !!!

[quote name='shauniac79 wrote:

wxray1 wrote:

woos']we did not make the playoffs the last 2 years of Peter's stay here but at least we were # 9 for those 2 years and were real close to making the playoffs.  AND we were a fun team to watch.

I kept it inside for a long time.. but the healing begins when you realize.. it is the coach(es)! Go ahead.. say it with me, MO MUST GO !!!

MO MUs....   I can't.  I'm not ready yet.  Almost there.

Maybe everything will turn around tomorrow.  Yeah.  Right.  :-)

I think the problem is there really is NO Head-coach.  Just watch MO and Ronnie they cannot leave each other alone during the game.  Neither one of them can make a decision by themselves..  Every move is always discussed between them, MO does not discuss things with Rowe during the game.  The time to discuss the game is before the game or after the game, not during the game.  The game plan should have been already put in place.  I believe that Ronnie or MO have to be moved up to the press box.  Then bring down McCarthy.  It is pretty obvious the team really wanted Ronnie to be the Coach but he either has not felt comfortable or just does not have the ability.    He was a great player and a great recruiter for the team, but if you make him the head coach how do you fire him when the time comes.  Hopefully JR will realize now is the time, to move out Ronnie, because it will only get difficult later.  Un-tie MO's hands by moving Ronnie and then if MO fails get rid of him.   How do you Blame Mo or Ronnie for the way the team is?  You cannot single either one of them out, because they cannot do anything without holding hands.  Make one of them responsible for the team, coaching by committee is just not cutting it!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Caniacs.
I'm glad to see so many of us stayed up to watch the Canes vs Ducks last night.
Fox 50 liked the game soooo much that they broadcasted it twice !
I guess they were impressed with the new franchise record of 12 road losses to start the season.
Best part was Legace's post game comments that  "It seems like we played that third period not to lose. You've got to go out and play hard."
At least Manny doesn't like the MO Hockey Game Plan.
He'll be gone soon; can't have the team talking bad about the coach's game plan !

So, on this Thanksgiving Day, we can all give thanks for the good year the Yankees had and look forward to a Canes top NHL draft pick next July.
Until then we can just chant ...

MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!
MO GOTTA GO, Again !!

( 12 times, in respect for his ongoing 12 game road streak )

I'm not saying that Maurice is not part of the problem, but the fact is that he has an old, slow team with almost no player outside of Staal capable of creating offense. There is also ample evidence that the whole Brind'Amour issue has had a major effect on this team and unless the new coach can deal with that issue it won't make much difference.

I have no particular love for Mo, but he took a team last year that was in all honesty probably a dead center average team and got them on a major winning streak that did not end until one series short of the Stanley Cup finals. It's just hard to believe that a bad coach could do that.

While no one could see this coming, the one guy who is paid to see it coming is JR. Now I am a big JR fan overall, but he has not dealt with Brind'Amour, and the end result of his tinkerings with the cup team has left us with almost entirely role players, and picked up several slow, old guys in the offseason. He let Babchuk go for nothing. Cole has largely been a bust. Sammy can shake and bake but not deliver. LaRose is looking like a 4th liner. The fact that we only have 1/3 of a legitimate first line (and that's with Staal) is not Mo's fault.

I frankly don't really blame JR, since anyone would have thought that run last year meant this team was really good. But I really don't think that a different coach would get more out of these guys and that means this is as much JR's doing as Mo's. Again, on balance JR is an excellent GM, but he misread this one big time (as did most of us, though in fairness some of us were calling for Brind'Amour out and pointing out the need for a first line winger, and deeply scratching our heads about Babchuk, but I digress).

So, deal with Brind'Amour, and start the rebuild. If the team is still not competing, then look in Mo's direction.

whether coaches captains whoever time has come for men to look each other in the eye and decide if they are professionals. This is not just team continuing to lose games, but a team continually frittering away minutes, periods, games, and especially every critical moment that  all pro teams build on. There is plenty of talent on this team  but for some bizarre reason,  very very little collective heart. As individuals,plenty. Coaches cannot be responsible for having to supply all the motivation for grown professional men.

I trust JR, however....

Last year's coaching change came with "We'll see if Ronnie likes being behind the bench" while Mo was official Head Coach. Well, I think its time that Ronnie makes his feelings known - times up!

If a rookie coach is ever going to be given a chance to succeed it is with a team in the state the Canes are in now - dead last in NHL in points, and many other categories.

If yes, Mo gets "Special Advisor" title or similar and a seat next to JR upstairs watching the games. If no, get Ronnie off the bench and put somebody near Mo ready to take the helm (and fix those line changes, PP, etc). Its business, and not personal, but time is up for this business decision.  

The answer could be Ted Nolan, he's looking for work and if you look at the 2007 New York Islanders, the man takes literal pieces of crap and turns them into gold.

Trust the Midas touch

Vote Nolan 2009-10

I'm not saying that Maurice is not part of the problem, but the fact is that he has an old, slow team with almost no player outside of Staal capable of creating offense. There is also ample evidence that the whole Brind'Amour issue has had a major effect on this team and unless the new coach can deal with that issue it won't make much difference.

I have no particular love for Mo, but he took a team last year that was in all honesty probably a dead center average team and got them on a major winning streak that did not end until one series short of the Stanley Cup finals. It's just hard to believe that a bad coach could do that.

While no one could see this coming, the one guy who is paid to see it coming is JR. Now I am a big JR fan overall, but he has not dealt with Brind'Amour, and the end result of his tinkerings with the cup team has left us with almost entirely role players, and picked up several slow, old guys in the offseason. He let Babchuk go for nothing. Cole has largely been a bust. Sammy can shake and bake but not deliver. LaRose is looking like a 4th liner. The fact that we only have 1/3 of a legitimate first line (and that's with Staal) is not Mo's fault.

I frankly don't really blame JR, since anyone would have thought that run last year meant this team was really good. But I really don't think that a different coach would get more out of these guys and that means this is as much JR's doing as Mo's. Again, on balance JR is an excellent GM, but he misread this one big time (as did most of us, though in fairness some of us were calling for Brind'Amour out and pointing out the need for a first line winger, and deeply scratching our heads about Babchuk, but I digress).

So, deal with Brind'Amour, and start the rebuild. If the team is still not competing, then look in Mo's direction.

REMMY HAVE YOU NOTICED:

That in the past two games Mo doesn't put A. Ward and Brindy on the ice? When we played Anaheim Rod didn't play the last 8-10 minutes of the 3rd period.  Rod hasn't played in OT a couple of times this season as well.  Maurice has been quoted several times in post game interviews of those very same games complimenting the teams play during those minutes.  Those minutes that HE (PAUL MAURICE) DOES NOT PLAY ROD.  He has tried to stay optimistic by highlighting the teams play during those minutes saying we need to play like that from the beginning.  

After the Anaheim game Manny Legace said. "It seems like we played that third period not to lose." Why is that? Huh. I wonder why the team plays hard during those times? As a coach of a losing TALENTED team that has NO CHEMISTRY you would think he would be looking into WHY they play really HARD during that time.  Why is it only during the final minutes of the game or in overtime? I'm really amazed at how STUPID Mo can be.