The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The official rant about Maurice and JR thread

After the Anaheim game Manny Legace said. "It seems like we played that third period not to lose." Why is that? Huh. I wonder why the team plays hard during those times? As a coach of a losing TALENTED team that has NO CHEMISTRY you would think he would be looking into WHY they play really HARD during that time.  Why is it only during the final minutes of the game or in overtime? I'm really amazed at how STUPID Mo can be. 

When Manny said  "played that third period not to lose" it was not a positive statement.  He was not complimenting the team on how hard they played.   There is a big difference between 'playing not to lose' and 'playing to win' which I think is what you are hoping was said.  Manny was basically saying we were not playing hard in the third, we were not 'going for it'.   We were sitting back trying just not to lose which is a characteristic seen in many of our games.

To those who would dump Mo, I understand. This team is awful at nearly every position and that would seem to point to the coach. Hey, maybe the team has tired of him, but I just don't think that's the first move.

I ask this: How did this relatively mediocre team that had a 2 year history of missing the playoffs (and was well on the road to doing it a 3rd year), turn it around and go on a killer win streak, that only ended after dispatching the #1 and #3 teams in the East (on their ice) and the ECF? It surely wasn't the captain, since that was a constant and it surely wasn't Eric "I prefer not to score in the playoffs" Cole. The team was playing tightly and with confidence. They clearly played above their heads. I know Cam played very well, but many credit Mo's insistence on defensive help for that. Mo looked pretty good back then.

If it wasn't Mo that did it, then what was it?

To those who would dump Mo, I understand. This team is awful at nearly every position and that would seem to point to the coach. Hey, maybe the team has tired of him, but I just don't think that's the first move.

I ask this: How did this relatively mediocre team that had a 2 year history of missing the playoffs (and was well on the road to doing it a 3rd year), turn it around and go on a killer win streak, that only ended after dispatching the #1 and #3 teams in the East (on their ice) and the ECF? It surely wasn't the captain, since that was a constant and it surely wasn't Eric "I prefer not to score in the playoffs" Cole. The team was playing tightly and with confidence. They clearly played above their heads. I know Cam played very well, but many credit Mo's insistence on defensive help for that. Mo looked pretty good back then.

If it wasn't Mo that did it, then what was it?

While I agree with your assessment that Maurice's insistence to chip in defensively contributed to the turnaround, I still don't see him being the complete mastermind behind that. He still let them run the same offensive system, but tweaked the defensive tendencies. Now, he's gone and completely gotten rid of the offensive gameplan and instead turned it into straight defense. While you can't completely fault him for the poor defensive effort we've seen so far, it also partially has to be his responsibility. So he's emphasized more defense (hasn't exactly worked out) and a less aggressive offense (certainly hasn't gone well). This is what leads me to believe that his system is flawed and largely responsible for the migraines us caniacs have been suffering. Go back to letting them gamble a bit on offense (while still thinking about defense on the other end) and I think you'll see a better team on the ice.

I for one, am hesitant, to trash JR. I, like many posters on this board, hailed many of the off season moves made by JR. As for Mo, I am sure there are better coaches out there, but I look at Toronto. Many of The Leafs' ills were laid at Mo's feet while he was there. The solution? Hire what I and many consider to be an excellet coach, Ron Wilson. That move has not worked out as well as anticipated. In fact, I believe the Leafs are performing worse under Wilson than under Mo. The Canes' problems are many and complicated. Some of the porblems are with management, the coaching, money and player personnel. Some of the problems are of the Canes' pwn making and thers beyond their control. As for Ronnie, as much as I respected him as a player, whenever I see an interview of him on TV, he doe not look like a man whise heart is in what he is doing, so I am not all that enthusiastic about him taking over as the bench boss. I do like Ted Nolan as a coach, but his history bothers me. He has had difficulties getting along both in Buffalo and with the Isles. But, as the saying goes, "This too shall pass". The Canes will be back, not this year, but they will be back.

Last night's collapse was monumental. I grudgingly hold my position, but I must say last night was a bit of a body blow to the it's not Mo's fault line. I still would not change coaches, but now it's more of a lose all we can till the trade deadline, then clean house kind of thing. Last year's run bought Mo a lot of buffer capital, but he is spending it like a drunken sailor. It is amost to the point of "We still think you can coach, but common we have no choice". I mean this is historical bad.

isn't Francis' focus to be on the PP?  We are next to last in this area.
I didn't realise we were that good.

I AM SO TIRED OF SEEING A PICTURE OF MAURICE ON OUR BENCH AFTER THE OTHER TEAM SCORES. He just looks like an emotionless robot.

Howabout some freaking emotion!! Yelling, throwing something, kickingsomething, hitting the glass.  DO SOMETHING!!!! Don't just look up atthe scoreboard with that emotionless face which makes you look like youcould care less. I understand that the coach has to stay calm most of the time but if there was ever a time to lose control now is the time. How about some PASSION. Maybe act LIKE THIS REALLY PISSES YOUOFF. Because it sure as heck pisses me off.!!!!!

I cannot take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Lavi is gone from the books so remove another roadblock to firing Mo.  As the excuses disappear, it gets harder and harder to justify this sub-.500 lifetime coach is the right guy for the job.  Worst record of all active coaches with more than one year of experience.

And don't forget the more important point.  He coaches a boring style, and the fans are sick of watching games that are more like a dental extraction than entertainment.  I acknowledge that not everyone agrees, but I often had more enjoyment with an aggressively offensive Lavi loss than a boring defensive Maurice win.  And for all of the people that I talk to that are Hurricanes fans (casual fans, not STH's like me) I hear easily 3 to 1 that they don't even want to go see a game that Mo is coaching.  Most of them aren't interested in even making time to watch them on TV anymore.

I know, I know.... those guys aren't "Real Hurricanes Fans".  All they are is guys who help fill the stands when the team is an exciting, fun to watch team.  They are not like us, checking to see if our Dental insurance covers our Hurricanes season tickets as we go game after game...

I believe that was one of the factors that caused him to be fired in the first place.... we were losing, but we were not losing in a flashy exciting deathmatch 8-6, we were losing 2-1 in the most boring style you can play, and the fans that were attracted initially from the Stanely Cup Finals were driven away.

You are right, i would rather lose with flash than win with boredem, unless we were winning all of the time. its why the Devils, despite being one of the best teams on a yearly basis in the east, has such bad attendance record- they play the zone trap, which takes 95% of the excitement out of ice hockey. 

I still fervently hope that Maurice does not survive this season...i am confident to say that he is simply not cut out to coach in the NHL. He still employs a style that was not extremely successful in the old NHL, and in the new NHL is a terrible, terrible strategy to use.

Please JR, fire Mo. Whichever direction we take, having Mo at the head will only be a hinderence, and even you must know that.