The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Approaching a NHL record...

Well, it's already been historic enough. Worse start in franchise history, and that includes some pretty bad teams in Hartford. I think this is also the longest losing streak in franchise history, or tied with it. Just dreadful.

It would be one thing if this was a team that was expected to be bad. I mean, if you're an Islander fan right now, and you're 6-6-6, you've got to be somewhat happy.... Your young guys are playing, you're winning a couple of games, you're competitive against pretty much everyone. But when you went to the ECF and thought you just needed to get a little bigger and tougher (which you did in the offseason) to compete for the division, and you start like this?

It's crushing.

So sure, go for the record. Everyone keeps saying it can't get any worse, but apparently it can.

I believe that a loss to the Isles on Friday the 13th would tie the franchise record of 14 consecutive losses. A loss to the Wild on the 15th would set a team record of 15 consectutive losses. A loss in Montreal would set the team up to play the net worst team in the NHL for a chance to tie a record no teams wants on a game on the 19th.

Actually, we're not close to either "losing" streak. Our "winless" (including T or OTL) streak is 13, but the winless record is 30. The losing (no OTL) streak is 17, while ours is "only" 7. We'd have to go the rest of the month with L's before we get there, which as bad as we've been is not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Actually, we're not close to either "losing" streak. Our "winless" (including T or OTL) streak is 13, but the winless record is 30. The losing (no OTL) streak is 17, while ours is "only" 7. We'd have to go the rest of the month with L's before we get there, which as bad as we've been is not impossible, but highly unlikely.
The record 17 losses don't include OTL because they didn't exist (get a point) when the record was set.  The winless record of 30 does include ties, which of course can't happen anymore.  I hate to say it, but I think the 17 game losing streak applies here.... 

[quote name='catamount-ch1 wrote:

JLP']Actually, we're not close to either "losing" streak. Our "winless" (including T or OTL) streak is 13, but the winless record is 30. The losing (no OTL) streak is 17, while ours is "only" 7. We'd have to go the rest of the month with L's before we get there, which as bad as we've been is not impossible, but highly unlikely.

The record 17 losses don't include OTL because they didn't exist (get a point) when the record was set.  The winless record of 30 does include ties, which of course can't happen anymore.  I hate to say it, but I think the 17 game losing streak applies here.... 

Nope, believe it or not the 17 was with no ties. It must be true because it says so on Wikipedia  wink.gif: link.  SJ also had streaks of 9 and 13 (twice). Only 2 ties all season, another record. You could also ask Ray Whitney, both he and Irbe suffered through that season.

Not that this really makes it any better...but it does show how much worse it has been for other teams.

Officially we are listed as on a 7 game losing streak by the standings.

Losing in overtime is still a loss...and also getting a point in O.T. is a joke also....You lose you lose, no point.

[quote name='alnova1 wrote:

maniacaniac']Officially we are listed as on a 7 game losing streak by the standings.

Losing in overtime is still a loss...and also getting a point in O.T. is a joke also....You lose you lose, no point.

Losing in OT might still be losing, but there is a reason it has it's own spot win the W-L-OTL column. The official streak is a 7 game losing streak and a 13 game winless streak. Those joke points are very tricky sometimes. I think if they are going to give away the point for an OTL then it whould be 3 for a win, otherwise I agree with the sentiment of going back to the 2 straight up. 

I agree... there should only be a point for losing in the shootout, since that's kind of a tossup.