The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JonahThaCane

Thoughts on Legace

His style is certainly different from Cam's. (Cam displays calm confidence that I think helps the team.) Legace makes me nervous b/c

I am not used to watching him. He moves around more. He is small and quick, especially with his catching glove. Our team needs to

get used to his playing style----and he has to get used to our team.

But, I think he made some good saves tonight, and I think you can tell he is an experienced netminder. Last I knew, being 36 is not

a fatal illness. (Look at Marty B.)

I just chuckle about the unceasing age references on this board. Five short months ago this team was not too old to get to the ECF.

(Difference is the defense. Not at all sure it is an upgrade. Think we should have kept Seids.)

Keep in mind, he's going to take a few games to adjust. He has to get his reaction time back up to the speed of the NHL. You can have all the game you want down in the American League, but it's a much slower game. That's why Manny's been a bit slow on getting square to the shooters and playing the puck.

Give him a few more games....he'll get there. He came into a very similar situation in STL when the Blues first signed him and he played a huge part in turning that team around. Everyone in Raleigh should be quite excited to have him in net.

Once Ward gets back it should be quite the solid tandem.

Keep in mind, he's going to take a few games to adjust. He has to get his reaction time back up to the speed of the NHL. You can have all the game you want down in the American League, but it's a much slower game. That's why Manny's been a bit slow on getting square to the shooters and playing the puck.

Give him a few more games....he'll get there. He came into a very similar situation in STL when the Blues first signed him and he played a huge part in turning that team around. Everyone in Raleigh should be quite excited to have him in net.

Once Ward gets back it should be quite the solid tandem.

Agreed, he's played well enough to earn wins and will get more and more confident as time goes on.  He's doing no worse than Cam had been doing pre-injury and with the possibility of Cam being out for months(yes, I said months), Legace was a good risk to take that didnt cost any of our future.

I have to agree with Maurice on this call, he's the only one in that locker room that hasnt lived through the demoralizing first 12 games with the rest and hasnt had his confidence beat to the ground.  He might actually believe they can win, even if a goal gets scored against them.

He seems a little unsure, but I think once he adapts to the speed of the game and out (lack of?) defense, he will be a pretty solid net minder. I don't think Cam needs to panic about any real competition, but it will be reassuring for the team to have Legace as a back up for Cam. Maybe Cam will see more "rest" days when we have a competant back up in Legace.

Sorry Michael Leighton, but I think it is "leights out" for you.

the jury is still out with me...I was there last night and nothing about his play impressed me. He's slow and doesn't handle the puck well. he also makes me nervous when he get's out of position b/c he is slow. With that said, I do agree that he's adjusting and maybe we'll see some improvement in those areas... plus a goalie can't do it all by himself, the 1st period it seemed the puck stayed at our end. time will tell....

He's teeny...I mean I thought Irbe was small when he got down!  But he's got a lightning fast glove.  And he seems to stay pretty calm in goal, like when he did get out of position against the Islanders and skated across the crease to casually nab the puck from a sure goal.  Everyone was like, where is it? 

He seems a little more weak on the stick side, which is probably why most teams are shooting there.  Or, they just try to cause traffic and confusion and get him out of position.

I've already seen signs that the communication with the defense behind the net is improving, it was scary in the beginning.  But, even veteran experienced teams struggle with that at times (IE Tim Thomas and Wideman behind the net last night in the overtime of the Bruins game).

He may come out of his crease to stop the puck behind the net, but he doesn't seem to get out of position as Leighton does.  I really hate watching an opposing forward walk in and stick handle a little and Leighton over commits and follows him into the corner, like he totally forgets where the net is.  It's such a scary sight when the puck gets centered and the net is vacant.eek.gif 

Manny has acquited himself quite well for two games.  He's not letting in a bunch of soft goals.  He's made a few nice saves (backhander in his first game).  He does seem to barely get back to the crease in time after venturing into the trapezoid to handle the puck.  He's played well enough to earn a win if WE HAD DEFENSEMEN THAT WOULD CLEAR THE PUCK AFTER HE MAKES THE FIRST SAVE.