The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

According to NHL channel

Over on Canes Country, a poster said something about that.  The poster sited a conversation between Mike Milbury and

Pierre Lebrun on" Hockey Nite in Canada" today Re : Canes.

This might be what you refer to. Pierre LeBrun said " in the next few weeks JR will start putting some veterans on waivers

to see if anyone bites. They are going young. They know the season is starting to get lost. And if they get a lottery pick and add

to the core of Staal, Sutter, C.Ward----------not too bad! "  Le Brun went on to say " Maurice is safe right now ."

But these guys are commentators and they are speculating, like we are, I would guess.

In the eyes of this fan, and I assume many others, Mo's job can not be safe.

Just as ONE example is his dumb decision to put old speedy Brindy out there in the last seconds of OT Friday ... just so he could take the faceoff, watch the turnover and then get to the net 3 steps late, after NYI put in the game winner.

If Mo had any guts, he'd put Brindy in the press box for the next few games, and then start a rotation of underperforming vets to the press box.

THIS SEASON IS DONE for the Canes, unless you really think they can win two thirds of the remaining games for about 95 points and maybe grab 8th spot.   NOT !!!  

You know I'll throw something else out there. I don't know that I really want the 8th spot. Yes, Edmonton made a run from that slot, but it is highly improbable. You end up playing the best team on their ice. Very high odds of a first round exit. I would like to see some entertaining games this season, but as a committed Caniac: while tanking is not good, if the ultimate outcome was the #1 pick, I really think this team could have a dramatic turnaround. All of the complementary pieces are there. Clear some salary (and age) to pick up one top free agent, then get the top pick, which is almost always NHL ready, and mix and match the rest of the team, and get Staal and C.Ward fully healthy. Suddenly competitive in a one year turnaround.

Not only that, but a #1 pick is the kind of player that draws fans out.

Put it another way, what if we claw back to say 8-10th place. We get another mid-round pick. Not bad, but rarely a game changer, (usually not NHL ready), still don't make the playoffs, and it is that much harder to move out of mediocrity.

In the eyes of this fan, and I assume many others, Mo's job can not be safe.

Just as ONE example is his dumb decision to put old speedy Brindy out there in the last seconds of OT Friday ... just so he could take the faceoff, watch the turnover and then get to the net 3 steps late, after NYI put in the game winner.

If Mo had any guts, he'd put Brindy in the press box for the next few games, and then start a rotation of underperforming vets to the press box.

THIS SEASON IS DONE for the Canes, unless you really think they can win two thirds of the remaining games for about 95 points and maybe grab 8th spot.   NOT !!!  

I agree that MO's job can't be safe. I don't think it is because of his individual decisions during the game but the overall performance of the team.  I think JR is probable trying to make right some of the decision he made in the off season so Mo gets a pass for little while longer. But if we make some moves and the team still doesn't respond MO will go before the end of the season.

As for the season being DONE your probable right. But you never know whats going to happen.Other teams could tank. We could go on a run. So I keep hope alive. Although the hope is diminished. It looks more and more like the rebuilding year is now and not next year as planned.

No news in this bulletin, but thanks for sharing. I agree with OBXer on "...It looks more and more like the rebuilding year is now and not next year as planned." Key word there is "year" and not overnight. I still trust in JR.

You know I'll throw something else out there. I don't know that I really want the 8th spot. Yes, Edmonton made a run from that slot, but it is highly improbable. You end up playing the best team on their ice. Very high odds of a first round exit. I would like to see some entertaining games this season, but as a committed Caniac: while tanking is not good, if the ultimate outcome was the #1 pick, I really think this team could have a dramatic turnaround. All of the complementary pieces are there. Clear some salary (and age) to pick up one top free agent, then get the top pick, which is almost always NHL ready, and mix and match the rest of the team, and get Staal and C.Ward fully healthy. Suddenly competitive in a one year turnaround.

Not only that, but a #1 pick is the kind of player that draws fans out.

Put it another way, what if we claw back to say 8-10th place. We get another mid-round pick. Not bad, but rarely a game changer, (usually not NHL ready), still don't make the playoffs, and it is that much harder to move out of mediocrity.

I agree 110%.  Tank the season, and get the best pick we can.  Build the team around the core.  I think you need to keep Staal, C Ward, B Sutter, T Ruutu, T Gleason, and Pitkanen....maybe Corvo maybe LaRose... still undecided there. 

All other permanent members (not rats) need to be firesaled and replaced with youth.  We do have some talent in Albany that can be tapped as well....I like Rodney, even though that turnover against the Isles was rough, the rest of his game was pretty decent considering his experience level.

edit:  forgot to add Pitkanen to anger the haters.

For the remainder of this yeear and next::

Keep Staal, Rutuu, Jokinen, Ward, Gleason, Pitkanen, and Cole.  Ship everyone else out for picks.  Get some good picks to along with the great one that the Canes are almost assuring themselves of getting, get Staal/Ward healthy, after they're traded and the seasons over - resign Whitney and Cullen to help acclimate the young guys we'll call up and draft.  Make sure Staal and Ward are healthy, move Sutter to line 2 center, call up most of McBain, Boychuck, Rodney, Bowman, Borer, and Carson.

Keep Staal, Rutuu, Jokinen, Ward, Gleason, Pitkanen, and Cole.  Ship everyone else out for picks.  Get some good picks to along with the great one that the Canes are almost assuring themselves of getting, get Staal/Ward healthy, after they're traded and the seasons over - resign Whitney and Cullen to help acclimate the young guys we'll call up and draft.  Make sure Staal and Ward are healthy, move Sutter to line 2 center, call up most of McBain, Boychuck, Rodney, Bowman, Borer, and Carson.

of all the people you want to keep cole?? he has never truly produced consistently and he does the same "trick" every time he carries the puck in the zone. All he might do is give a big hit once in awhile with maybe 35-45 points a year. I dont think he was worth gettign back i was happy when he left.

I would like to see the future sooner than later.  With all these injuries, that is likely Tuesday in Quebec.  Given Rodney is up now, and Pitkanen and Ward are questionable, we are short a defenceman, excluding Conboy.  Walker and Yelle look out, so we need a winger or a center.  Should be an interesting Monday.

No news in this bulletin, but thanks for sharing. I agree with OBXer on "...It looks more and more like the rebuilding year is now and not next year as planned." Key word there is "year" and not overnight. I still trust in JR.

I'm not so sure. I was listening XM Hockey Talk on afternoon and they were talking about JR's ability to make trades and add to a team, but he has not yet shown ANY ability to build a team using draft picks or youth. I initially got a bit testy, but they are right. I don't know how other teams do it (Buffalo, Detroit who rarely gets high draft picks), maybe with better scouting especially in Europe??? This part of the game I don't follow too much, so someone help me out here.

All I have to say is, more Sutter, MORE SUTTER, MORE BRANDON SUTTER! He is reminding everyone else how to be compete and be a winner more than the captain himself is. He's leading by example and he's the youngest guy out there! So long as he continues to get top 6 TOI the remainder of the season, I'm happy. That's all I am asking for. Don't supplant his roster spot for a washed up veteran "just because." He has earned his place and he better STAY here. Period.

There's no turning back, JR. GET YOUNGER.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

Manwolf']No news in this bulletin, but thanks for sharing. I agree with OBXer on "...It looks more and more like the rebuilding year is now and not next year as planned." Key word there is "year" and not overnight.
I still trust in JR.

I'm not so sure. I was listening XM Hockey Talk on afternoon and they were talking about JR's ability to make trades and add to a team, but he has not yet shown ANY ability to build a team using draft picks or youth. I initially got a bit testy, but they are right. I don't know how other teams do it (Buffalo, Detroit who rarely gets high draft picks), maybe with better scouting especially in Europe??? This part of the game I don't follow too much, so someone help me out here.

JR has made some good trades.  Everyone is happy with Ruutu, but Blackhawk fans like Andrew Ladd, too.  And,

he has signed some fine free agents.  But he also once called Josef Melichar a "shutdown" defenseman.  So, all in all,

he's done as well as any other GM.  Some hits and some misses.  And the 'Canes have improved their drafting, too.

If the 'Canes finish last overall they can draft Taylor Hall.  A lot of scouts have said if Hall had been eligible this year,

he would have been drafted #1 ahead of Tavares, Hedman, and Duchesne.  That doesn't take much scouting. 

What good scouting does is to give you a better chance at uncovering gems in the later rounds.  The 'Canes farm

system has a couple of potential high-end kids, but no depth.  Obviously, some of the "can't miss" kids will miss. 

Good depth can cover up for that because there's always the chance one or two of them will surprise you with

good development.  The salary cap kinda makes it imperative to draft and develop your own talent.

So the 'Canes have some decisions to make.  Make a go of it despite the slow start ... or begin the makeover now.

If they can.  A lot of it is out of their hands.  A lot depends on the next couple of weeks.  

I never like to see a coaching change, but you can't argue with the results of several  recent turnarounds in

Washington and Pittsburgh.  The next few games should be easier than most of the last 14.

Washington and Buffalo at the end of the month will be tough, but the 'Canes really need to have 6 or 7 wins by the end

of November to turn the season around.  If that doesn't happen, I think Mo will be fired.  Personally, I think JR has already

approached Ron Francis about the job, and that Francis has turned him down.  Rowe is probably be next in line - and I

don't have a problem with that -- on an interim basis.  I do think it's pretty important to change the culture of the organization

from top to bottom and the next coach should be from outside the organization. 

Short-term, tho, changes likely wouldn't matter because the December schedule is pretty tough.  It's not out of the realm

of possibility that the 'Canes won't have more than 10 wins by the halfway point (the first week of January).  If that happens,

that's when you go into an immediate rebuilding mode.  It would be a more reasonable time for JR to make some trades. 

Right now, rival GM's are offering magic beans for Cullen and Corvo - and asking about the availability of Gleason and Ruutu

in return for conditional 5th round picks. 

I'll refer to an interview Luke DeCock had on the NHL Network about a week ago after Cam Ward's injury. They asked him about the outlook of this season and DeCock said that Rutherford views Christmas as the "deadline" for salvaging this season. He said that if the team is not at or above .500 by that time, Rutherford will start to look towards the future.

The team would need about fourteen victories in the eighteen games between now and Christmas to meet Rutherford's "deadline".

Next year we can become one of the younger teams in the league. Sutter is obviously staying, Boychuk is most likely making the team, and Bowman and Samson look like they could make the starting roster as well. All of those guys are under 25 years old (and will be next year). Not to mention if we do get the 1st overall pick we automatically have an NHL ready prospect, along with 2 or 3 more high quality propspects as we will have the first pick for the rest of the draft's rounds. Say Brindy retires, Whitney stays, and most of the contract players leave. Whitney IMO should get the 'C' before Staal, we'd have mid aged players like Staal, Ruutu, Gleason, etc. Veterans like Cole, Whitney, etc. and then a young core of Sutter, Boychuk, Rodney, etc. Plus, we all know we have one of the best in net with Cam Ward.

If I were a 'Canes fan, which I am, I'd be looking to the future (the NEAR future too) and be excited, because finally, the young guys will get a chance.

I smell a Dynasty in the making. wink.gif

[quote name='JonahThaCane wrote:

rollinsox007']For the remainder of this yeear and next::

of all the people you want to keep cole?? he has never truly produced consistently and he does the same "trick" every time he carries the puck in the zone. All he might do is give a big hit once in awhile with maybe 35-45 points a year. I dont think he was worth gettign back i was happy when he left.He produced 20 goal, 50+ point seasons for 3 straight years before being traded to Edmonton (including the season after his injury that to many people would have ended careers). Only last year did his production dip, and you could blame that on him being on a mediocre-at-best team. This year he had a rough start with a leg injury but came back. The past 3 games he has been producing scoring chances with his speed and strength. And his little "trick" is skating hard, with strength, to get partial breakaways and rebound chances for the following forwards. Look up the facts before posting. 

I want to keep Cole because I feel that next year we will be a VERY fast team again and that will suit him very well.  Also he is a leader on the team, he compliments Staal so well.  Cole hasn't been a top line guy since he got hurt in '06, but I still feel that with a fast, offensively potent team like we should be be next year he can really benefit from that.

I however will give him that he does usually lead or at least is in top 5 in hits at the end of the year
And i did look up facts erik cole has played 498 games with 322 points which is averaged out = 46 points a season
so i wasnt off much

i like this dynasty thing, and i think it could work, except for one thing;

since i get bored, i went through the wikipedia lists of draft picks to see who we have drafted and all i can say is, JR does not trade for picks. I saw once were we had two picks in a single round. More often, we had traded away our pick.

Basically, unless we get the number 1 pick (and i f we continue, then it looks probable), we are not going to get much out of this draft. Im told its not a very deep pool of talent (of course, i am not an expert of hockey drafts who can eyeball drafts and tell you if it is a good one or not).

i like this dynasty thing, and i think it could work, except for one thing;

since i get bored, i went through the wikipedia lists of draft picks to see who we have drafted and all i can say is, JR does not trade for picks. I saw once were we had two picks in a single round. More often, we had traded away our pick.

Basically, unless we get the number 1 pick (and i f we continue, then it looks probable), we are not going to get much out of this draft. Im told its not a very deep pool of talent (of course, i am not an expert of hockey drafts who can eyeball drafts and tell you if it is a good one or not).

There are some hot prospects out there this year, and its an Olympic year.  Taylor Hall is one.  OHL.

The reality is not too much can be done right now anyway.  For various reasons, it's getting to the point

where a GM has two days a year to change his team ... July 1st and trade deadline day.

Since the first of July is historically quiet around here, that leaves March 3rd to make some changes.

Of course, by March the horse is out of the barn, and (metaphorically) has run straight into a bog of

quicksand that (somewhat metaphorically) is the 2009-2010 Carolina Hurricanes.

I agree with calling up more rats.  If we are dumping vets then we need to have youngsters with NHL experience.  Atleast rotating them to give them each some time at NHL level.