The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Swanson

What should the Canes do with Brind'amour???

All voting and no discussion.

Okay. 

Demote him to the 4th line?  Staal comes back and Brindy goes to the 4th line to get 8 minutes a night.  The pressure will be off him "match-up wise" and his plus/minus will improve.  Sutter's play makes this a must.  This got my vote.

Make him a healthy scratch?  With Staal and Yelle out, is this an option?

Strip him of his "C"?  How will this help with him still in the locker room?

Put him on waivers and send him to Albany?  With Staal and Yelle out, is this an option?

He's playing fine, what's the issue?  Are you blind?

Be nice to him for sentimental reasons.  Nice sentiment and I agree, but be nice to him on the 4th line.

Anything just make him go away.  Only on Fantasy Island would this be an option.

My opinion: Play out the season with him on the 4th line.  Sutter is up and we don't have another center at the AHL level that's going to to be a better option.  Maybe some time on the wing.  Buy him out over the summer and give him a position with the organization.

I have written so much on this over the past two years, that I think Rod might figure out who I am and come over to my house. But then you've teed this up so nicely.

If there is one single move that would instantly breathe life into this team it would be to find a way to move Brind'Amour OFF the team. Yes, 4th line is probably the best we can do, but I remain convinced that our pathetic start may be largely due to this situation. It has happened at least twice before. I've laid it out several times, so I won't do it again. But the basic idea is that the players know far better than we do, that Brind'Amour's on ice play is hurting the team time and time again. Yet the management cannot deal with the fan favorite future hall of famer. Just can't deal with it. So, for long stretches of terrible hockey he kept getting sent out there for major minutes and continues to be the captain.

Like when the goalie starts letting in multiple soft goals it is just disheartening. At some point the team just stops responding. There is nothing the coach can do. This is a JR/PK level issue and their failure to deal with it has, in my opinion cost them this season.

I will say that any one who thinks Rod himself will decide he no longer has "it" and walk away from millions of dollars. Well, we're still waiting.

Realistically this season is toast. So move him to the 4th line for now. But if Brind'Amour is still playing next year there will be no excuse for it. The guy was such a great player and leader it just sucks out loud to watch this, but then again, he has the ability to retire and exit gracefully. For my money he can have this year on the 4th line to figure that out for himself. But NOT next year.

It's time for a point blank meeting between Brindy and JR.  No agents.   JR starts the conversation saying something like "Rod, we're both professionals with a job to do ... You've been a great assett for this team, but RIGHT NOW, your play is not helping, in fact it's  HURTING the Canes.   You can't keep up with the pace of the game any longer.   I've made financial commitments to you, and I will honor them all.  BUT I need your salary cap room to start making some serious changes to this team.   You need to stop playing.   Now what can we work out ? "

There are lots of ways this can happen where all sides win.

Almost every forward on the team is a big minus because the defensemen have been atrocious. Rod's is the biggest, because he's on a line with 0 scoring. Sergei + Rod + Larose = 2 even strength goals. So the only way to go is down.

And what's REALLY being missed by the waive brindamour or move him to the fourth line crowd...

We already have 2 lines of 4th line players. Yelle, Kostopolous, Conboy, Walker, Larose, Brindamour. And of those, the only 2 who could even dream about getting 15 goals this season are Rod and Chad. And as of now, Rod has the lead over chad along with every other player who's scored a goal this year.

I like moving Rod to the wing on the third line because even old man Brindamour is a better option than Larose, Walker, or the rest of the bums right now. If you can get rid of the scrubs, then sure move Rod to the 4th. But he's still a better option as of now.

He can replace Yelle's minutes which are minimal.  The contract leaves us with no other option.  He doesn't need to see the ice in any critical situations.  Most players hang up their skates when they realize they can't compete, this time has come and gone for Rod and he is still earning 3.6 million a year.

I've posted on this often.

I have always supported Rod and been a big fan.

Bottom line currently (and last year) is our 3rd highest paid player is playing like our 15th or so best player CONSISTENTLY. I realize he has had some injuries and I think the franchise has given 2 years trying to give him a honorable chance to prove he still should be playing.

I fully expected at his age for his scoring to drop. I fully expected his speed to decrease. But to not even be able to play decent defense is frankly shocking to me, and causes me to question his desire. Yes you read that correctly. Any other player and there would be thread after thread about his desire on the ice to win. In the end, Rod has rightfully deserved many many chances with the countless hard work and leadership he has shown the team AND the Hurricanes have given that in spades. We appreciate him, we will work to try to get him in the HOF, and my family will be there for his Sweater going into the rafters, but the Hurricanes need to move on.

We don't have the luxary of standings to pay someone so well to preform night after night so mediocre at best, and poor at worst.

Lets give the young guys a chance and get this thing straightened out so we know what to do next year. I've been a season ticket holder many years and its time to work on our future. Suter has 4 goals, Jussi can distribute the puck, Cullens defense has been quite good at times. There is no justification to have Rod playing Centre or Wing when Staal returns. Boychuk, Bowman, or Ryan need to be on the ice and we need to give them 10 minutes+ a night this year so when next year comes they have some NHL experience or we know to turn to other options.

I like moving Rod to the wing on the third line because even old man Brindamour is a better option than Larose, Walker, or the rest of the bums right now. If you can get rid of the scrubs, then sure move Rod to the 4th. But he's still a better option as of now.

Here is the problem. Regardless of what line or what position - Rod has consistently been granted way too much ice time. I don't think he is fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team. Rod can produce somewhere else but we need to wash our hands and turn the page with Brindy.  We have invested too much time and money. It has hurt this organization for more than 2 seasons. I appreciate what he has done but time to move on.  Sooner better than later.

Here is the problem. Regardless of what line or what position - Rod has consistently been granted way too much ice time. I don't think he is fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team. Rod can produce somewhere else but we need to wash our hands and turn the page with Brindy.  We have invested too much time and money. It has hurt this organization for more than 2 seasons. I appreciate what he has done but time to move on.  Sooner better than later.

I wish he weren't fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team.  But our team isn't very good.  Staal, Cole, Whitney, Cullen, Ruutuu, Sutter, Jokkinen gives us 7 guys who belong on any teams top 9.  Samsonov can't play on a checking line, so that makes 8.  That leaves Larose, Walker, Brindy, Conboy, Yelle, Kostopolous.  I like Brindy the best out of that group because he has the ability to score goals other than just a tap in, and our team needs three lines of goal scoring. 

Again, people get caught up in the plus minus, but Rod is the only guy who hasn't gotten to play with any of the 'consistent' offensive players.  Not to mention he's usually taking a faceoff at the end of the game when we pull our goalie.  ENG's for the other team are a - too.

Edit:  I'd add that if we could trade him, by all means for anything.  The thing is, you can't ask a guy who's better than 6 other forwards on the roster to retire which seems to be a popular opinion.

it looks as if super dave is focused below the waist and is unable to understand that the "poll" looks to have been created  to be relevant to all points of view...an "above the waistline" poll...

it looks as if super dave is focused below the waist and is unable to understand that the "poll" looks to have been created  to be relevant to all points of view...an "above the waistline" poll...

Well, since this is a place to voice opinions, I think my "little buddy's" opinion matters just as much as anybody's.  Everybody was voting and nobody was posting, so I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm still wondering why we need a "poll" to know what we know all ready about the opinions of the majority on this board relative to the captain.  This has been discussed ad nauseum for two seasons.  But, if it flys your skirt up, by all means continue.  Yes, I know the ignore button. BIG YAWN!

The 4th line seems to be an option, and given that much less ice time also saves his energy to be still effective on our special teams.

Our scoring lines, however, should be build on speed, just like they always have been in good times, and that's one thing old Brindy isn't up to any more (no offense Roddy, but age seems to catch ya)...

Almost every forward on the team is a big minus because the defensemen have been atrocious. Rod's is the biggest, because he's on a line with 0 scoring. Sergei + Rod + Larose = 2 even strength goals. So the only way to go is down.

Some things you didn't mention.

1. Of Rod's anemic linemates: Sergi is -11, Chad is -9 despite not scoring a single goal and only assisting in 3. Rod is -16.

2. Rod is now dead last in the NHL in plus/minus a full -3 worst than the next to last guy. He is #723/723. It terms of plus/minus there is no

worse player in the entire NHL.

3. Rod spent much of last year dead last in the NHL with different line mates.

I agree LaRose and Sergi have regressed, especially LaRose has disappeared offensively. But even their performance can't match the futility of Brind'Amour. Plus, of these three linemates, who is the captain supposedly leading the team?

The emperor has no clothes. JR and PK don't want to tell him. The rest of the team sees this. It has had it's affect for two years and running.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

wallym']Almost every forward on the team is a big minus because the defensemen have been atrocious. Rod's is the biggest, because he's on a line with 0 scoring. Sergei + Rod + Larose = 2 even strength goals. So the only way to go is down.

Some things you didn't mention.

1. Of Rod's anemic linemates: Sergi is -11, Chad is -9 despite not scoring a single goal and only assisting in 3. Rod is -16.

2. Rod is now dead last in the NHL in plus/minus a full -3 worst than the next to last guy. He is #723/723. It terms of plus/minus there is no

worse player in the entire NHL.

3. Rod spent much of last year dead last in the NHL with different line mates.

I agree LaRose and Sergi have regressed, especially LaRose has disappeared offensively. But even their performance can't match the futility of Brind'Amour. Plus, of these three linemates, who is the captain supposedly leading the team?

1) You know how at the end of the game, we pull our goalie, and then the other team scores on us?  We've had 5 of those happen.  Rod's been out there for all 5.  Chad and Sergei aren't allowed on the ice at those times.  They count as minuses.  Not to mention Chad and Sergei have both spent time elsewhere, including the top line with Ray and Staal.

2) If you play on the weakest line of the worst defensive team in hockey for 18 minutes a night, you get the biggest minus in the game.  It doesn't matter who is on the ice, you can't make Aaron Ward cover his man.  Martin Havlat is 2nd worse by the way.  Is it because he's terrible, or that the Wild are terrible?

3) Last year, he started off horribly under Lavi, who was playing him 20+ a night like he was still the guy.  On top of which he was playing with Sergei, who didn't score a point for the first 12 games?  When his role shifted when Mo came in, and Sergei started playing like a non-turd, brindy finished up the last couple months around a plus 15 or so?

Okay, so we hear the same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff.  He's never going to the fourth line, period.  They haven't done it yet and don't seem to be inclined to do so.  I doubt Brindy's going to retire with his current contract.  He hasn't gotton the memo about how bad his play is, and no one in the front office seems in a hurry to deliver it.  He ain't going to Albany, so forget that.  So either we move him, which is highly doubtful anytime prior to the trade deadline given his current play.  Heck, there might not be any takers at the trade deadline anyway.  Or, we could buy out his contract at the end of the season to get rid of him.

Hello, earth to board, Brindy ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

[quote name='wallym wrote:

RedSox-n-Canes']Here is the problem. Regardless of what line or what position - Rod has consistently been granted way too much ice time. I don't think he is fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team. Rod can produce somewhere else but we need to wash our hands and turn the page with Brindy.  We have invested too much time and money. It has hurt this organization for more than 2 seasons. I appreciate what he has done but time to move on.  Sooner better than later.

I wish he weren't fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team.  But our team isn't very good.  Staal, Cole, Whitney, Cullen, Ruutuu, Sutter, Jokkinen gives us 7 guys who belong on any teams top 9.  Samsonov can't play on a checking line, so that makes 8.  That leaves Larose, Walker, Brindy, Conboy, Yelle, Kostopolous.  I like Brindy the best out of that group because he has the ability to score goals other than just a tap in, and our team needs three lines of goal scoring. 

Again, people get caught up in the plus minus, but Rod is the only guy who hasn't gotten to play with any of the 'consistent' offensive players.  Not to mention he's usually taking a faceoff at the end of the game when we pull our goalie.  ENG's for the other team are a - too.

Edit:  I'd add that if we could trade him, by all means for anything.  The thing is, you can't ask a guy who's better than 6 other forwards on the roster to retire which seems to be a popular opinion.

Out of that group, I'd take Kostopolous over Brind'Amour. He's faster, has alot more energy in him and he can find the back of the net. The problem is, he needs more than 4 mins to be useful to a team. Right now he's a complete waste b/c he needs minutes in order for his style of play to be useful.

And maybe its Brindy bringing down his linemates. I mean the guy continues to pass to the opponent on a CONSISTANT basis.   

Okay, so we hear the same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff.  He's never going to the fourth line, period.  They haven't done it yet and don't seem to be inclined to do so.  I doubt Brindy's going to retire with his current contract.  He hasn't gotton the memo about how bad his play is, and no one in the front office seems in a hurry to deliver it.  He ain't going to Albany, so forget that.  So either we move him, which is highly doubtful anytime prior to the trade deadline given his current play.  Heck, there might not be any takers at the trade deadline anyway.  Or, we could buy out his contract at the end of the season to get rid of him.

Well last year he was on the 4th line and it worked out quite well.  In fact, coming in to the year, they weren't sure where Brind'Amour was going to fit. It depended on his camp. Well Sutter is making a very strong case for himself and playing way better than Brindy, offensively/defensively. I honestly wouldn't be shocked when Staal returns and Brindy is centering the 4th line. 

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Okay, so we hear the same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff. 
He's never going to the fourth line, period.  They haven't done it yet and don't seem to be inclined to do so.
  I doubt Brindy's going to retire with his current contract.  He hasn't gotton the memo about how bad his play is, and no one in the front office seems in a hurry to deliver it.  He ain't going to Albany, so forget that.  So either we move him, which is highly doubtful anytime prior to the trade deadline given his current play.  Heck, there might not be any takers at the trade deadline anyway.  Or, we could buy out his contract at the end of the season to get rid of him.

Well last year he was on the 4th line and it worked out quite well.  In fact, coming in to the year, they weren't sure where Brind'Amour was going to fit. It depended on his camp. Well Sutter is making a very strong case for himself and playing way better than Brindy, offensively/defensively. I honestly wouldn't be shocked when Staal returns and Brindy is centering the 4th line. 

Well, this aint last year.  And as far as how he looked in camp, he looked old and slow.  But amazingly, we sign Yelle and send down Sutter in favor of Brindy on the third line.  Personally, as of right now, I think we are just as well off with Yelle centering the fourth line.

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

wallym wrote:

RedSox-n-Canes']Here is the problem. Regardless of what line or what position - Rod has consistently been granted way too much ice time. I don't think he is fast enough or good enough for the 3rd line for our team. Rod can produce somewhere else but we need to wash our hands and turn the page with Brindy.  We have invested too much time and money. It has hurt this organization for more than 2 seasons. I appreciate what he has done but time to move on.  Sooner better than later.

And maybe its Brindy bringing down his linemates. I mean the guy continues to pass to the opponent on a CONSISTANT basis.   

You beat me to it. That is exactly right. For every slick little pass Rod makes (and he does still make them) there are two lost along the boards and one he didn't get back for. Sergei has actually looked pretty good. Put him on at least the second line and see what happens. Chad...where have you gone buddy?

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac247 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Okay, so we hear the same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff. 
He's never going to the fourth line, period.  They haven't done it yet and don't seem to be inclined to do so.
  I doubt Brindy's going to retire with his current contract.  He hasn't gotton the memo about how bad his play is, and no one in the front office seems in a hurry to deliver it.  He ain't going to Albany, so forget that.  So either we move him, which is highly doubtful anytime prior to the trade deadline given his current play.  Heck, there might not be any takers at the trade deadline anyway.  Or, we could buy out his contract at the end of the season to get rid of him.

Well, this aint last year.  And as far as how he looked in camp, he looked old and slow.  But amazingly, we sign Yelle and send down Sutter in favor of Brindy on the third line.  Personally, as of right now, I think we are just as well off with Yelle centering the fourth line.

Well you said he isn't going on the 4th line period. Don't be too sure of yourself. They did it last year and they can just as easily do it this year. 

They signed Yelle, b/c the plan was to have Sutter and the other kids (Boychuk, Bowman, McBain, Rodney, Carson) play together in Albany and eat up big minutes. Then transition them in next year. Brind'Amour was slow in camp and guess what, he was put behind Staal/Cullen. Well injuries and the suckage that is this team, got and will keep Sutter here. Its been stated and even again today (check out the N&O article on Sutter) that he needs minutes here otherwise everything he built on will get lost if he's getting low minutes (4th line). If they keep him here, which at this point in time they pretty much have too since he is, along with Ruutu, their best player, he ain't getting put on the 4th. So that leaves Brind'Amour.

And to add, TOI from Sunday's game: Sutter 20 minutes, Brind'Amour 15 minutes.

However, I'm sure they'll just move Brind'Amour to wing on the 3rd, or trade Cullen so he can continue centering the 3rd, but as far as the centers go, he's 4th in line.

Look, I like Brind'Amour, got alot of respect for the guy but he isn't doing this team any good anymore.