The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

At the start of the year I thought it would be nuts to trade Cullen. Everything seemed poised for a breakout year for him. Now, he is on pace for 14 goals as the second line center, and just as few assists relatively. I know he is mired in the mess that is the Hurricanes, and I still think he has it in him to do much better, but I would begrudgingly think about trading him if we could get value in return.

However, it is hard to envision how we trade a center with Staal out and Brind'Amour clearly done as a productive player. I like Sutter, but Sutter #1 and Jokinen #2, and Yelle #3? Brind'Amour #4? If we are tanking the season that would be fine. But only if we want that top draft pick. Also, if we want speed, Cullen is still fairly speedy isn't he?

I don't know what Cullen is likely to make in the new contract, but I still think he would be a solid 3rd line center. It is hard to see him traded before Staal returns at least.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone updates his report from Sunday where he cited sources claiming the Blackhawks were eyeing Carolina Hurricanes center Matt Cullen. While uncertain if the Blackhawks will acquire Cullen, Sassone believes he'd be a good fit for the team. He also notes it's tough to say what the Hurricanes would want in return because they need a lot of help but if they wanted a defenseman Sassone claims the only untouchables are Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hurricanes fans would probably want Cam Barker but that would be giving up too much for Cullen. Forget about peddling Brian Campbell, his salary is far too expensive to move.

more on the Cullen trade speculation.

Per Spector's

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone updates his report from Sunday where he cited sources claiming the Blackhawks were eyeing Carolina Hurricanes center Matt Cullen. While uncertain if the Blackhawks will acquire Cullen, Sassone believes he'd be a good fit for the team. He also notes it's tough to say what the Hurricanes would want in return because they need a lot of help but if they wanted a defenseman Sassone claims the only untouchables are Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hurricanes fans would probably want Cam Barker but that would be giving up too much for Cullen. Forget about peddling Brian Campbell, his salary is far too expensive to move.

It's Eklund, but it's something to post. According to hockeybuzz.com, We're looking to acquire Fabian Brunnstrom.

The Penguins and Hurricanes have serious interest in Fabian Brunnstrom. I wouldn't be shocked to see this deal go down sooner than later despite reports to the contrary. There is, and has been, a ton of posturing going on for the last week or so already. Dallas is playing hard to get here, but teams won't stay hot for Fabian for too long. There are more question marks about Brunnstrom than knowns at this point and there is only so much you can ask for a guy who you obviously don't play very much yourself.

Source

I was in Chicago over the weekend and read this in the Herald, although I didn't hear any buzz elsewere.  Very interesting speculation indeed.  JR does have a history of trading with Chicago.

I wouldn't mind trading Cullen for Cam Barker. He's young, productive and could easily replace Ward, Wallin, or even Corvo. The cap hit would be about the same as we are taking for Cullen as well.  Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind trading Cullen for Cam Barker. He's young, productive and could easily replace Ward, Wallin, or even Corvo. The cap hit would be about the same as we are taking for Cullen as well.  Any thoughts?
I like Cullen, but if Chicago would give us Cam Barker, if I'm JR I'd say "where do I sign"

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

Swanson']I wouldn't mind trading Cullen for Cam Barker. He's young, productive and could easily replace Ward, Wallin, or even Corvo. The cap hit would be about the same as we are taking for Cullen as well.  Any thoughts?

I like Cullen, but if Chicago would give us Cam Barker, if I'm JR I'd say "where do I sign"

I'd second that! Barker could be a great Corvo replacement, since he is an UFA.

As per Eklund:

Rumors are swirling that the Blackhawks are looking into Matt Cullen to replce the injured Bolland when he heads to Long term injured reserve. As fas as I can tell the Hawks are looking at another option right now, and not Cullen. While Cullen is solid two ways, and may end up being there guy, I would look to another struggling Eastern Conference team...

The Hawks are interested in Dominic Moore in Florida. You may recall at last year's deadline the Hawks made a push for Dominic Moore and it was even reported by some outlets that it would happen. Moore really struggled to get an offer this summer due to a high asking price and has been out of the line-up for Florida until just recently.

That being said, Moore's 1 million is a perfect fit for the Hawks. And he has something left in the tank as well...plus he makes the Hawks tougher and when Bolland returns you can find a way to keep him in the line-up.

www.hockeybuzz.com  

I say get rid of A.Ward & S.Yelle they both have not proven there worth to us. They will clear up 3 mill of salary and spots where we can bring up young guys who deserve to be here. I would like to keep J.Corvo around he is a assist to our team, we dont need to get rid of any scoring D-Man we got rid of 2 now look where we are. Pitken cant stay healthy & Rodney works well with Corvo. I hate to see Cullen go but thats part of the business. I would like to get Seids back here as well.

I say get rid of A.Ward & S.Yelle they both have not proven there worth to us. They will clear up 3 mill of salary and spots where we can bring up young guys who deserve to be here. I would like to keep J.Corvo around he is a assist to our team, we dont need to get rid of any scoring D-Man we got rid of 2 now look where we are. Pitken cant stay healthy & Rodney works well with Corvo. I hate to see Cullen go but thats part of the business. I would like to get Seids back here as well.
you can't just "get rid" of these guys, you have to either 1) have a team willing to take them in exchange for their prospects, or 2) buy them out mid season.  any other scenario would result on us taking the same salary back which accomplishes nothing.

I thought this thread was for documented rumors and not just public opinion?

Well first off...no way Hawks are trading barker for Cullen, that's just crazy.

I think Matt hasn't really meshed with anyone on the team consistently outside of LaRose really, his defensive play has improved, and his skating is phenomenal. He was thrusted into the 1st line role with staal injured, and it was too much for him, especially with the wingers around him struggling. His effort is noted as are his lack of bad penalties or mistakes, but he can't finish lately or produce much offense.

With sutter being the number 2 center guy next year, Matt should really go back to 3rd line center, but I know that's Rod's role until he basically retires, so might as well trade Matt.

However at this point, what was once a speedy team is kind of more on the slow side. Matt is most effective with a team built on speed like the 2006 Canes, i'd try and get prospects for him and think he'd do well in chicago. If we want, we can always sign him in the off-season.

About 2 weeks ago the Ottawa Sun speculated that they believe Joe Corvo is being shopped. It should be known however that every year since we acquired him they report he is being shopped (which sounds suspect to me).

Well first off...no way Hawks are trading barker for Cullen, that's just crazy.

I think Matt hasn't really meshed with anyone on the team consistently outside of LaRose really, his defensive play has improved, and his skating is phenomenal. He was thrusted into the 1st line role with staal injured, and it was too much for him, especially with the wingers around him struggling. His effort is noted as are his lack of bad penalties or mistakes, but he can't finish lately or produce much offense.

With sutter being the number 2 center guy next year, Matt should really go back to 3rd line center, but I know that's Rod's role until he basically retires, so might as well trade Matt.

However at this point, what was once a speedy team is kind of more on the slow side. Matt is most effective with a team built on speed like the 2006 Canes, i'd try and get prospects for him and think he'd do well in chicago. If we want, we can always sign him in the off-season.

Goeb - You might be right. My thought was to sign Toews, Kane, Keith, and decent goalie to replace or back-up huet the Blackhawks are going to need to free up a ton in salary cap space at the end of this season. They have a lot of players up for free agency to either dump or resign but they need to be creative.  A quick win for cap space would be to trade Cam Barker for a player who will be a free agent at the end of the year. Then at the end of their playoff run, they can just dump the player and have that money to resign their stars.  Trading Cam Barker for Cullen would help them meet their needs for their run this year plus free up over 3 million in cap space. Then again who knows what they'll do or who they'll try to get rid of. Puck Daddy says that they are looking at a center from the Panthers instead of Cullen. Who knows.  I'd be pumped though to pick up a good defensive player to replace Wallin, Ward or Corvo if he doesn't get resigned.

An update on the Cullen to Chicago rumor:

I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

"Rumored deal between Carolina and Chicago(Rutherford is getting eager to make a move)...

to Hawks...Matt Cullen and Joe Corvo

to Canes...Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Andrew Ebbett"

I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

"Rumored deal between Carolina and Chicago(Rutherford is getting eager to make a move)...

if my calculations are right that would buy us about a mil in cap but is it a good trade?

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

Ghouliegirl']I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

if my calculations are right that would buy us about a mil in cap but is it a good trade?

I was wondering how much if any salary we would gain.  Whether or not it's a good trade would have no idea.  I do like the idea of younger players though.

[quote name='Ghouliegirl wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

Ghouliegirl']I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

I was wondering how much if any salary we would gain.  Whether or not it's a good trade would have no idea.  I do like the idea of younger players though.

I would love to have Cam Barker but under normal circumstances wouldn't want to give up Cullen and Corvo for him.  But when you go to the dance you have to be willing to give up something the other team wants.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

If you are right about the cap relief, J.R. may look at that alone as being good.  Would that be 3 healthy bodies for 2?  That can't be bad either.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

If you are right about the cap relief, J.R. may look at that alone as being good.  Would that be 3 healthy bodies for 2?  That can't be bad either.My thoughts as well.

by my calcs (and nhlnumbers) Barker is due $3.1mil, Skille $.8mil, and Ebbett $.5mil.

Best part of the deal is Barker is locked up for two more years and then a RFA.  Sutter has proven he is capable of taking over for Cullen.  It works out to be a good deal for the often emotionally fragile Corvo who would be going to play in his hometown and probably won't sign here next year anyway.  IMO he has really gone downhill with his play this year which is not exactly worth $3mil plus.  Really would hate to see Cullen go and besides did Cullen ever turnout to be the missing link for for fixing our pp woes when JR traded to get him back? NO our pp is still awful.