The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

TSA']Really, because I would swear that Jussi Jokinen came from Tampa and both Kevyn Adams and Brett Hedican came from the Panthers.  All trade deadline or near trade deadline moves.
wink.gif

Thrashers have some great rookies and prospects from collecting some high picks over the past few years.  If they have something good to offer, I'm sure JR will at the very least be willing to listen.  Its not like we're fighting them for a playoff spot this season.

Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

K.Adams/Hedigoochie was one of those rare times when something came together at the trade deadline.

JR has stated on more than one occasion that he doesn't trade within the division, would have thought you would have known that!

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired left wing Jussi Jokinen from Tampa Bay in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and Carolina’s fourth-round draft pick in 2009. 

Would have thought you might have checked before stating something as fact wink.giflol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

TSA']Really, because I would swear that Jussi Jokinen came from Tampa and both Kevyn Adams and Brett Hedican came from the Panthers.  All trade deadline or near trade deadline moves.
wink.gif

Thrashers have some great rookies and prospects from collecting some high picks over the past few years.  If they have something good to offer, I'm sure JR will at the very least be willing to listen.  Its not like we're fighting them for a playoff spot this season.

Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

K.Adams/Hedigoochie was one of those rare times when something came together at the trade deadline.

JR has stated on more than one occasion that he doesn't trade within the division, would have thought you would have known that!

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired left wing Jussi Jokinen from Tampa Bay in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and Carolina’s fourth-round draft pick in 2009. 

Would have thought you might have checked before stating something as fact wink.gifsuperdave hits both on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and says "Play nice"

This may actually be a case where you are both somewhat right.  While Jussi was technically a trade, that makes TSA right.  c97 is right in saying that we gave up nothing to get him (except dead weight and money owed on contracts).  As far as trading within the division, I think the GM's in gereral shy away from that since they would be seeing the player 6 times a year.  I don't think in the case of an expiring contract that it would make a ton of difference.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

wink.gif

Would have thought you might have checked before stating something as fact wink.gifisn't that almost the same, those were our healthy scratches!! LOL

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

TSA wrote:

caniac-97']Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

Would have thought you might have checked before stating something as fact
wink.giflol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

I have NEVER stated that I know EVERYTHING about the Canes, I didn't get to be this old by being THAT stupid.  The joy/aggravation about posting on  a message board is that you NEVER have to fact check what you post, there is always some nerd that will correct you at the speed of light.

Didn't your last custom title you posted under your avatar the old board say "why yes, I do know it all".

And did you just call me a nerd? huh.gif

And to put this...discussion...back on topic, I just heard on XM that two teams would begin their fire sales within the next two weeks. 

You got it, Edmonton and Carolina.

Didn't your last custom title you posted under your avatar the old board say "why yes, I do know it all".

And did you just call me a nerd? huh.gif

And to put this...discussion...back on topic, I just heard on XM that two teams would begin their fire sales within the next two weeks. 

You got it, Edmonton and Carolina.

I have always been called a know it all but not necessarily in the hockey arena, and six minutes to respond isn't exactly the speed of light!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

jeromeo87 wrote:

TSA']

wink.gif

lol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

I have NEVER stated that I know EVERYTHING about the Canes, I didn't get to be this old by being THAT stupid.  The joy/aggravation about posting on  a message board is that you NEVER have to fact check what you post, there is always some nerd that will correct you at the speed of light.

If there was a triple crown of ownage, this would be the winner.   Owned not once, not twice but three times in the same thread  laugh.gif

belmont-stakes-trophy.jpg

Todays rumors - Ray Whitney in the rumors today again.  Spectors Trade Rumors says that many teams are calling about the Wizard's availability.  I'd hate to see him go but he might get a really big return.  Be nice if the Canes could stockpile a few high picks.

http://www.spectorshockey...rade-rumors&Itemid=4

There's also an interesting note about Leighton and that Philly considers him the #2 behind Emery beating out Boucher.  Nice to see Leighton getting some credit.

I expect we'll see several teams make moves before the Olympic break. The time between the end of the break and the trade deadline is just too restricting. Even John Forslund said he expects a few teams to get an early jump on acquiring least minute help. And Carolina is full of "helpers".

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

TSA wrote:

caniac-97']Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

wink.giflol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

Couldn't agree MORE.  Something finally shut him up.  LOL, C97 you should check your shoes.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

jeromeo87 wrote:

TSA']

wink.gif

lol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

Couldn't agree MORE.  Something finally shut him up.

You of all people should no me better than that.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

jeromeo87']lol..ouch, 97. For someone who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the Canes I would have thought you would have known this easy bit of Hurricane hockey history... you have disappointed me..lol. Anyway, so when can we expect some trades? Before olympics atleast?

Couldn't agree MORE.  Something finally shut him up.

LOL, at least you are a good sport about it.  That was pretty dumb though.  Everybody knew that one.

While this has all been very entertaining, lets get back to the trade rumors out there in the media.  Things are heating up as we close in on the start of JR's fire sale.

According to XM, Whitney to Vancouver is getting an awful lot of attention.  I sure would like to know what Whitney's position on waving his NTC for a trade is.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Couldn't agree MORE.  Something finally shut him up.

LOL, at least you are a good sport about it.  That was pretty dumb though.  Everybody knew that one.

I did too but some days I forget more than I remember.

Well this is from Eklund who I give absolutely no creditability but it's more banter than then his usual drivel;  meaning there are no "e" rating associated with these rumors.

On Joe Corvo

One of the many valuable chips that the Hurricanes currently hold. TheCanes are down but not out. If they do the right things with theirchips this deadline and then land Taylor Hall...well, they could beright back in top quickly....I have heard Chicago (tied to anothermove), Dallas, and Montreal.

On Matt Cullen

Another Cane chip, Matt is the kind of player who makes a difference ina long playoff run. He is versatile. I have heard Buffalo, Detroit,Chicago, and Vancouver (pending another move)

Eklund Rumors

Ugh.  I just found out I share a birthday with this character.  I guess that make me full of crap too.

While this has all been very entertaining, lets get back to the trade rumors out there in the media.  Things are heating up as we close in on the start of JR's fire sale.

According to XM, Whitney to Vancouver is getting an awful lot of attention.  I sure would like to know what Whitney's position on waving his NTC for a trade is.

Strictly guesswork here, so here goes.

I have no idea whether or not Whitney is willing to waive the NTC, but since J.R. hasn't come out and said it's a no-go with trading Whitney, I'd have to say it's a possibility.  If I were Ray, I'd only be willing to go to a team that was pretty much a sure thing for not only making the playoffs, but making a run.  Why go to a team that's destined to get knocked out in the first round.  I'd say that just about limits it to the top 4 teams in each conference.  That would be the Devils, Sabres, Caps, and Bruins in the East and the Blackhawks, Sharks, Avalanche, and Flames in the West.  A Vancouver rumor would put him going to a team in 7th place but 3rd through 7th is a tight group.  My top 4 theory may not work for the West.  Calgary is only a couple of hundred miles from where he was born (whether that would factor in at all) and Calgary has been a trading partner of J.R.'s in the past.

Nashville would be another interesting posibility.  They are only a point behind the 3rd and 4th place teams in the West and still fairly close (relatively speaking) to Raleigh.  Washington would be another close team but whether that's a posibility is questionable.

We're hearing a lot of rumors out there about Kovalchuk to Chicago right now, but this just seems kind of silly.  I mean, sure, Ilya will make any team in the NHL better and I don't doubt that every playoff-bound team with the right kind of trade chips will come up with some sort of offer.  However, barring a serious injury to Kane, Toews, or Hossa before the deadline, I can't imagine that the Hawks would need to add firepower of that magnitude.  In my opinion, that isn't what they're missing.  If anything, they could use some veteran leadership to help pull all those young guys, and that especially that young captain, in the same direction. 
Ray Whitney, should he be traded, would seem ideal for Chicago.  He's got the skill and talent to fit in with the high-octane forwards there, and he's got the veteran savvy and experience to go with it.  Their acquisition of John Madden last summer was a good move for them, and they would be wise to try and get a dude like Whitney.  They're worried about upsetting their team chemistry (reminds me of Carolina in '06 before we got Weight and Recchi), but we all know that Ray isn't going to do anything but fit right in and become a team favorite.  Plus, he's got his old buddy Andrew Ladd there. 
This is where we'll see if Chicago's management knows what its doing. 

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

MarkyMarkNC']

I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure what motivation Chicago would have to do this trade.  They are closer to the salary cap than we are and probably don't have room to take on Cullen and Corvo's contract.  They are going to have HUGE salary cap issues next year, and I can see them trading Barker in the off-season, or maybe later in the year for a rental, but not now, and not for more of a cap hit.

They seem to have pretty much given up on Skille.  Former 1st round draft pick that JR gives a second life to seem to be our bread and butter trade move, so I could definitely see this happening.

Ebbett I could care less about.  We have enough 4th line players on our team already.

Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, that's Chicago's motivation. All 3 guys need a contract come July 1st and all 3 guys are getting paid. Rumor has it that all three have an extension in place. Chicago is actually in a bit of a jam. They have to move someone big in order to fit these 3 under the cap, otherwise, Barker would not even be thought of in a trade. They trade Barker who is signed through next year and who will likely see another pay increase when this contract expires. They get 2 guys who come off the books on July 1st, allowing them cap room to sign Keith, Toews and Kane. 

The likely scenerio would be:

To Chicago:

Matt Cullen

Joe Corvo

To Carolina:

Cam Barker

Brent Sopel

pick

Chicago will likely want to get rid of Sopel. He has negative trade value, but you are getting a 23 year old defensemen who has already established himself as a consistant NHLer who can put up the points. JR will want a pick if he has to take on Sopel. We don't want or need Sopel, but if taking him gets you Barker, you do it.

Do you think we could swipe out the pick for Skille. He is a talented guy who the Blackhawks seemed to have given up on..

Both Spector's  Hockey and ESPN are speculating that Whitney could end up in     Pittsburgh.  I would hate that.. Doesn't appear that anyone has inside information.

Ray Whitney was on the radio last night. Based on some of his comments, it sounded like he's OK with playing out the season elsewhere. Said his family liked the area and he'd like to come back. But he really sounded like he was OK with being a rent-a-player.

Ray Whitney was on the radio last night. Based on some of his comments, it sounded like he's OK with playing out the season elsewhere. Said his family liked the area and he'd like to come back. But he really sounded like he was OK with being a rent-a-player.

As long as he can find his way home after the season it would be     OK.

J.R. - "Ray, if you would waive your NTC so we could improve the team, I'd make it worth your while this summer.  (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge)"

Ray - "J.R., I'd really like a two year deal for about 2.5 each year"

J.R. - "Son, we have a deal, but don't tell anybody because this may be against some rule".

Edit:

Eklund's "Wheel of Trades" has the Kings and Canucks interested in Ray Ray. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=25622

Ray Whitney will be 38 years old in May. He has seemed to defy age so far, and may have another decent year left in him, but despite him being one of my favorite Canes, I'm not sure that there is room for him on a rebuilding team next year. We need a legitimate top line free agent winger. Without that we don't make the big turn around next year. Ray has been an amazingly consistent scorer, but he is not that guy. He would have to be a second or even third line guy depending on how much he slows down. But we have other guys for those roles who are not 38. We also need Ray's salary off the books.

Look JR loves to recycle and even a 38 year old Whitney may be worth having at the right price, but more likely Ray is moving on for good. Unlike another aging veteran though, he will be going out in style.

Ray Whitney will be 38 years old in May. He has seemed to defy age so far, and may have another decent year left in him, but despite him being one of my favorite Canes, I'm not sure that there is room for him on a rebuilding team next year. We need a legitimate top line free agent winger. Without that we don't make the big turn around next year. Ray has been an amazingly consistent scorer, but he is not that guy. He would have to be a second or even third line guy depending on how much he slows down. But we have other guys for those roles who are not 38. We also need Ray's salary off the books.

Look JR loves to recycle and even a 38 year old Whitney may be worth having at the right price, but more likely Ray is moving on for good. Unlike another aging veteran though, he will be going out in style.

I agree totally, BUT, J.R. may have to do something to get Ray to waive the NTC.  That something may be a handshake deal for a year or two contract this summer.  Ray has made it clear that he likes it here.  At the right price, a deal would be okay as long as it isn't more than 2 years at the most.