The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Ray Whitney to the Kings or the Canucks is gaining a lot of steam. People who once felt Whitney had no intention of leaving are now saying he will go so he can help the Canes out. Were he to be traded, I would not be shocked to see him return to Carolina this summer as a UFA. He loves the area.

Ray Whitney to the Kings or the Canucks is gaining a lot of steam. People who once felt Whitney had no intention of leaving are now saying he will go so he can help the Canes out. Were he to be traded, I would not be shocked to see him return to Carolina this summer as a UFA. He loves the area.

The Kings make a lot of sense and they have a trade partner history with us too.

Who do we try and get for him then?  Scott Parse and Brad Richardson are both young guys who play the center and wing...it certainly won't be Frolov. 
Jack Johnson of course laugh.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked to see Frolov coming the other way. JR loves Frolov, Kings are not re-signing him. Kings fans think Frolov can be had if and only if they are getting a top 6 winger, that's Whitney. 

Frolov is a UFA, but i'm pretty sure JR can get him re-signed before July 1st.

Darren Dreger is reporting the the Hurricanes have officially asked Wallin and Whitney to wave their NTC's.
It looks like moves are in the works.

I wonder if Wallin is more receptive this time around. I'm sure both would know which contender might be involved.
My guess would be yes.  He knows he isn't coming back to Carolina next season. 

And the changes really pick up speed now..

canes ask vets to waive no trade clause

The winds of change are blowing through Carolina.

On Wednesday, the Hurricanes named Eric Staal the team's new captain and also asked leading scorer Ray Whitney and defenceman Niclas Wallin to waive their no trade clauses.

While general manager Jim Rutherford says he expects the team to compete for the rest of the season, he indicated that he'll likely trade away some veteran players before the March 3 deadline.

Whitney and Wallin join a list of player believed to be available for trade that also includes Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Andrew Alberts, Aaron Ward and Manny Legace.

contin link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306922

Spectors version of the Dredger report:

Hurricanes ask two players to waive their "no-trade" clauses, the latest on Marty Turco, Wild shopping Sykora, and Dan Hamhuis' potential value on this summer's free agent market.

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger reports Carolina Hurricanes management asked Ray Whitney and Niclas Wallin to waiver their "no-trade" clauses. It's also believed management will shop other players, including Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Andrew Alberts, Aaron Ward and Manny Legace.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It remains to be seen if Whitney and Wallin waive their clauses, especially the latter as he's twice rejected requests by management to do so. The recent requests could mean there are specific teams who've currently made inquiries, or it may just be a formality to gauge interest. Cullen, Walker and Ward could also attract some interest. I suspect the Hurricanes "fire sale" could being in earnest as the deadline for the Olympic trade freeze approaches.

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

Law-Dawg']Who do we try and get for him then?  Scott Parse and Brad Richardson are both young guys who play the center and wing...it certainly won't be Frolov. 

Jack Johnson of course laugh.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked to see Frolov coming the other way. JR loves Frolov, Kings are not re-signing him. Kings fans think Frolov can be had if and only if they are getting a top 6 winger, that's Whitney. 

Frolov is a UFA, but i'm pretty sure JR can get him re-signed before July 1st.

I'd be happy to see Frolov if we could get him...at 27 he fits right in with Staal; Ruutu, Jokinen, etc. A very good young but experienced player...maybe a package deal to free up the space to sign him long term. 

I thought Scotty Walker has a NTC as well.

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Eric Staal, CAR - NTC [starting July 1, 2010]

Scott Walker, CAR - NTC

Niclas Wallin, CAR - NTC

Ray Whitney, CAR - NMC

Can't trade him without his consent.

JR alluded last night to the possibility of trading "someone" with the agreement that he would return this summer. That is probably Whitney.

JR alluded last night to the possibility of trading "someone" with the agreement that he would return this summer. That is probably Whitney.

That does make the most sense, as it is less likely his new team would give him a deal beyond this year.

The one guy I would not trade, but if we did, I would want right back is Cullen.

Don't get me wrong, Whitney is the man and could still be respectable on a the second line, but father time has to catch him eventually.

A good free agent pickup over the summer would be Plekanec on Montreal. The guy is consistently putting up great points and would be a good first line fit for staal and whoever else. Can't see getting him in any trade but he would be able to consistently put points up. Seems like a playmaker judging by the amount of assists he has this year. At 2.75 mil/year......there is a helluva lot of value.....something to consider....

A good free agent pickup over the summer would be Plekanec on Montreal. The guy is consistently putting up great points and would be a good first line fit for staal and whoever else. Can't see getting him in any trade but he would be able to consistently put points up. Seems like a playmaker judging by the amount of assists he has this year. At 2.75 mil/year......there is a helluva lot of value.....something to consider....

Something tells me the Habs are not going to let Plekanec just walk off. He has been with them since they drafted him and he is their top scorer. I can see him get a nice raise from the 2.75 mil this year.

Interesting comments from Pierre McGwire tonight during his XM spot.  He was asked about the Hurricanes and who he thought would be the most sought after players for the trade deadline.  Without hesitation, he said Ray Whitney and Nic Wallin because of the leadership and experience both would bring to a team making a run.  He said both would be great character additions to any locker room.  

Whitney wasn't a surprise but Wallin was, but I guess in a long playoff run you need experienced guys who know what it takes to get there, and you can't have enough defensemen, just ask Buffalo wink.gif

As a side note:  He thought that the way the captaincy was handled was incredibly classy and the time was perfect for Rod to pass the torch.  Staal would be able to get his feet wet with his mentor close by and start the new season with the rebuilt team fresh.  He said JR was one of the best who thinks outside the box and described him as an old time hockey guy with some progressive ideas. Im sure not everyone around will agree with McGwire but its nice to hear it from the "experts".

Well, that pretty much follows along with reports that JR has asked both to waive their NTC's.
Yes it does and I have a feeling deals are already in place.  I'll admit I'm getting a little excited to see where our guys end up so I can pick some teams to start cheering for. smile.gif

Whitney wasn't a surprise but Wallin was, but I guess in a long playoff run you need experienced guys who know what it takes to get there, and you can't have enough defensemen, just ask Buffalo wink.gif

Hmmm. We got another veteran defenseman who has a ring.....lots of experience...could be had for the right price...or any price...or no price.