The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Spectors update:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER
: Chip Alexander reports Ray Whitney and Niclas Wallin haven't waived their no-trade clauses but that's not to say it won't happen. Alexander also reports the Hurricanes list of "untouchables" includes Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Brandon Sutter, Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu. He also suspects there could be a major surprise by the Hurricanes at the trade deadline.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps that surprise could be moving defenseman Joni Pitkanen, who is conspicuously absent from the untradeable list.

Spectors update:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Ray Whitney and Niclas Wallin haven't waived their no-trade clauses but that's not to say it won't happen. Alexander also reports the Hurricanes list of "untouchables" includes Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Brandon Sutter, Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu. He also suspects there could be a major surprise by the Hurricanes at the trade deadline.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps that surprise could be moving defenseman Joni Pitkanen, who is conspicuously absent from the untradeable list.

I would hate to see joni go, he has been really good this season despite his injuries imo.

First, when it comes to Canes hockey, I've always been critical of Chip Alexaner.  He's a lazy Cane's reporter.  Obviously, he needs something to do at the N&O.  So, his "big surprise" at the trade deadline...whatever.

First, when it comes to Canes hockey, I've always been critical of Chip Alexaner.  He's a lazy Cane's reporter.  Obviously, he needs something to do at the N&O.  So, his "big surprise" at the trade deadline...whatever.

yeah, you got a point, prob a copy paste from some other site by chip. Miss Decock on the beat...

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

TSA']

Spectors update:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Ray Whitney and Niclas Wallin haven't waived their no-trade clauses but that's not to say it won't happen. Alexander also reports the Hurricanes list of "untouchables" includes Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Brandon Sutter, Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu. He also suspects there could be a major surprise by the Hurricanes at the trade deadline.

I would hate to see joni go, he has been really good this season despite his injuries imo.

Joni and Jokinen have made some awesome plays this year. I've seen Pitkanen pass it right up the middle to Jokinen, who then gets a breakaway, dekes, and scores. It's usually on a PP.

I'm a big Joni fan so if he's traded it better be for some strong defenseman. The image I'm getting is Pitkanen for Phaneuf which would be a mistake given Phaneuf's salary and his apparent attitude.

I'm a big Joni fan so if he's traded it better be for some strong defenseman. The image I'm getting is Pitkanen for Phaneuf which would be a mistake given Phaneuf's salary and his apparent attitude.
Not gonna happen.

For the Chip haters, I would listen to what hes saying. He knows far more than he is allowed to report. For instance, when Cam went down he knew Legace had talks with the team in the preseason (we did not) and suggested that we would try to sign him. He was right. I would LOOOVEE to know what he knows. He can only give clues and I will take this as a hint that perhaps someone like Joni could be traded.

Sorry, but I think we all know there "will be surprises" as the trade deadline approaches.  That doesn't make Chip necessarily "in the know". 

Possibly, but we do not talk to the players, coaches, and management regularly.

I'm siding with CC.  If Chip had concrete info, we would all know about it.  Why?  Because he is a reporter (albeit not a good one) and this is a hot topic.  Talks with Legace in the off season, not so much a hot topic.  What makes you think he wasn't allowed to report it?  Perhaps he chose not to because we had talks with many players and it's not worth reporting each one until it actually looks feasible that a player might become part of the team.  Otherwise it's just chit chat. 

There is no reason for him to drop breadcrumbs on this stuff.  He WANTS to be the first report info, that what makes reporter good.   He's just doing what he does best, talk just to fill space.  He doesn't work for the Canes, his job is to ask questions and distribute information.  Doubtful management would provide any information to Chip that they don't expect to be reported.  If they want to keep something under the covers, the one and only reporter covering the team for the local newspaper doesn't know about it. 

Surprises?  Seriously?  JR has pretty much said everyone is on the table except five "untouchables".  The only really surprises coming would be if one of them was traded or if he made a trade like giving away Pitkanen for a bag of pucks.  Anything else should be expected. 

Let's face it, any "surprise" is not going to involve a blockbuster deal that will make JR the envy of the league. At best we are looking at getting some decent draft picks or prospects for (hopefully) rentals that can help another team in their push for the Cup, a tit-for-tat deal involving a proven veteran for a younger player or a package deal, that allows JR to shed some age, salary and "undesirebles" as well. Either way, he is not going to get around giving up decent players.

From ESPN's Pierre LeBrun:

Hurricanes listen

Any player headed for unrestricted free agency is available in Carolina, but the Hurricanes are getting lots of calls on a player that's under contract for next season.

Joni Pitkanen has another year on his deal at $4.5 million for next season. The Canes like him a lot and are not trying to move him in any way. Yet, the interest from other teams is so high for the puck-mover, one wonders if Carolina will be able to say no before March 3 if the offers are too good to resist. The 26-year-old leads all NHL players in ice time per game, averaging just over 27 minutes. There won't be many top-four defensemen moving before March 3, so the high interest in Pitkanen is reflective of a barren marketplace for that position.

One player who will very likely move if he allows it with his no-trade clause is winger Ray Whitney, as I mentioned last week. To me, Pittsburgh and Calgary are screaming for this kind of move, as both clubs need offensive help and a boost to their power plays.

Here's the thing: He's cheaper to acquire now than on March 3. If the Hurricanes could unload him now, they'd save on their payroll. Come March 3, there's only five and half weeks left on Whitney's $3.55 million salary, so the Hurricanes wouldn't be saving nearly as much. In the meantime, teams will be scrambling for his services that day and the price will go up. Either way, the Hurricanes are hoping to recoup a first- or second-round pick and a prospect for Whitney.

The basic philosophy should be to shed salary and oldness for potential and youth at this point this year. JR needs to shed enough salary in the process to pick up a single bonefide top flight winger free agent. All we need is one. Given that Ward and Wallin, and possibly Corvo will be gone next year, it may be wise to try to pick up a defenseman if JR has his eyes on one that is below the radar, but in general trading vets for either prospects or picks would allow that salary deleveraging, while hopefully still losing enough games to get a true stud in the first round.

Once a big gap in the payroll vs. salary cap is established, and we are full of guys with potential and low salaries surrounding the core, JR can go out in the off season and land that one top flight 1st line winger. Add that guy to a top draft pick and a solid core and our solid goalie and about 12-13 young players fighting for about 6-8 spots, and you have a good team and a deep talent pool. Plus you have a potent first and second line and a third line with a lot of potential. Watch the turnaround.

So anyway, unless there is a "multiple average vets for that one top winger" deal or a deal that lands us a solid defenseman, I would think the first movers would be the "salary dump for prospects/picks" type move. Certainly a young, talented but under-performing or misused guy would be a typical JR move. The thing is, the only scenario where we need such a player is if JR actually needs to trade Cullen (I say don't do it). Then we would need a productive second or third line center. But who are we going to get that is better than Cullen?

So, if we keep Cullen, Staal, Ruutu, Jokinen, Sutter, and get a legit first line winger and the top draft pick, we really don't need more forwards.

Ruutu-Staal-Top Winger

Jokinen-Cullen-Taylor Hall

Boychuk-Sutter-Tlusty

Kosto-Someone-LaRose

Lose: Brindy, Cole, Whitney, Samsonov

So we need a 4th line center, and that's it up front unless we trade Cullen.

So we mainly need to dump salary and get picks/prospects, and probaby one solid defenseman during this season. Add the top pick and one top flight free agent off season.

I know you're reading this JR.

I wonder if those that guessed Jan 25th for the first trade are onto something.  Based on what Pierre LeBrun blogged, could this be Whitney's last game as a Hurricane this season signaling the final break up of the Stanley Cup winning team?

I wonder if those that guessed Jan 25th for the first trade are onto something.  Based on what Pierre LeBrun blogged, could this be Whitney's last game as a Hurricane this season signaling the final break up of the Stanley Cup winning team?
It would surely fit with naming Staal Captain now. The timing of that seemed to indicate that a move was imminent. Losing Whitney now would also help our Taylor Hall aspirations.

The basic philosophy should be to shed salary and oldness for potential and youth at this point this year. JR needs to shed enough salary in the process to pick up a single bonefide top flight winger free agent. All we need is one. Given that Ward and Wallin, and possibly Corvo will be gone next year, it may be wise to try to pick up a defenseman if JR has his eyes on one that is below the radar, but in general trading vets for either prospects or picks would allow that salary deleveraging, while hopefully still losing enough games to get a true stud in the first round.

Once a big gap in the payroll vs. salary cap is established, and we are full of guys with potential and low salaries surrounding the core, JR can go out in the off season and land that one top flight 1st line winger. Add that guy to a top draft pick and a solid core and our solid goalie and about 12-13 young players fighting for about 6-8 spots, and you have a good team and a deep talent pool. Plus you have a potent first and second line and a third line with a lot of potential. Watch the turnaround.

So anyway, unless there is a "multiple average vets for that one top winger" deal or a deal that lands us a solid defenseman, I would think the first movers would be the "salary dump for prospects/picks" type move. Certainly a young, talented but under-performing or misused guy would be a typical JR move. The thing is, the only scenario where we need such a player is if JR actually needs to trade Cullen (I say don't do it). Then we would need a productive second or third line center. But who are we going to get that is better than Cullen?

So, if we keep Cullen, Staal, Ruutu, Jokinen, Sutter, and get a legit first line winger and the top draft pick, we really don't need more forwards.

Ruutu-Staal-Top Winger

Boychuk-Sutter-Tlusty

Kosto-Someone-LaRose

So we mainly need to dump salary and get picks/prospects, and probaby one solid defenseman during this season. Add the top pick and one top flight free agent off season.

A couple of things here.  I don't see us being able to move both Cole and Samsonov.  Neither make a ton of money but make a lot for their production of late.  LaRose is getting paid too much to be on the 4th line and would be a guy that I can see a team biting on for a playoff run.  He's got a lot of grit that would do a team well going into the playoffs.  I also think that Boychuk may need one more year of developement in the AHL.  

Another thing is that I don't think that this is the time for one of the typical JR dumpster diving deals.  We don't need to take on an underperformer drawing an NHL paycheck, we need picks and prospects.

Hello all,  this is a Blackhawks fan.  We need Cam Ward and I would like to know what his price would be?

I understand untouchable but everybody has a price.

Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba, and Megan Fox.  That and a couple of your young stud players.

Ain't happenin'

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

remkin']The basic philosophy should be to shed salary and oldness for potential and youth at this point this year. JR needs to shed enough salary in the process to pick up a single bonefide top flight winger free agent. All we need is one. Given that Ward and Wallin, and possibly Corvo will be gone next year, it may be wise to try to pick up a defenseman if JR has his eyes on one that is below the radar, but in general trading vets for either prospects or picks would allow that salary deleveraging, while hopefully still losing enough games to get a true stud in the first round.

Ruutu-Staal-Top Winger

Boychuk-Sutter-Tlusty

Kosto-Someone-LaRose

A couple of things here.  I don't see us being able to move both Cole and Samsonov.  Neither make a ton of money but make a lot for their production of late.  LaRose is getting paid too much to be on the 4th line and would be a guy that I can see a team biting on for a playoff run.  He's got a lot of grit that would do a team well going into the playoffs.  I also think that Boychuk may need one more year of developement in the AHL.  

Another thing is that I don't think that this is the time for one of the typical JR dumpster diving deals.  We don't need to take on an underperformer drawing an NHL paycheck, we need picks and prospects.

Not only do we need to move Cole and Sammy but I forgot Walker. I like LaRose a lot, but if someone wanted to give us something for him, well we need to clear cap space, and not sure where he would fit in if we really got the top pick. If we play ourselves back to a mid round pick that would be different as that guy would likely not be ready to play year one.

Cole is going to need to get back on the ice and show something in order to move him. But if he does, I bet someone would pick him up. Of course JR has a thing for Cole, though he did trade him once.

Boychuk, well remember we're talking about next year. He is clearly not ready this year. But back and forth with the AHL this year, he might be ready next year. I'm betting he will be. I would argue that Tlusty looks ready and clearly Sutter is ready and performing currently.

I have been leaning stronger and stronger to Jokinen and after tonight I would officially want to keep this guy. High skills, hockey smartsscores in the playoffs, works well with Pitkanen, and a couple of wins on the shootout.

I agree with you completely about the no dumpster diving pledge. Get picks and prospects and build cap space. Get the one killer free agent off season. I have a feeling JR will avoid much of that this time since we are in a major rebuild, but he really likes to do it, so I wouldn't bet against him doing at least one deal for an unloved guy with promise. Still, it is hard to see where we'd play a guy like that (maybe on defense...Babchuk anyone?).

Lets keep the armchair GMing to this thread:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/16319

and keep this thread about the actual rumors reported by a named source.  With things heating up before the Olympic break, there should be lots to report from all the rumor sites as well as online blogs, XM radio and various local beat writers.

Here's something from hockeyleaks.com:

Not sure how dependable this website is, but it sounded interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somethings Bruin....

1/24/2010 Posted by Cjohnson202

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to many sources, the Bruins are closing in on what should be the first trade of many as we head towards the March 3rd trade deadline. While no sources have been able to come up with any concrete names, I have heard that Carolina and Boston have stepped up discussions over the last few days and that Ray Whitney may be who the Bruins have their eye on.

^Well, the Bruins got a good look at Whitney yesterday! Chara might have even caught a glimpse of him! They need to package LaRose with him, and send them both to Boston. We'll even throw in a defenseman of their choosing as long as its not Pits....for that Toronto draft pick!