The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Ray seemed very somber in his post game interview with Tripp. I think he knows he won't be around much longer, and isn't looking foward to the change. If he does get traded, I hope it is a true rental.

The "TFP" is reporting that Ray may be going to the Pens. If he was to waive his NTC. Said thet Lemuex is a fan of Ray.

Sens may be interested is RAY as well and also CULLEN (per/ottowa sun)

Here's something from hockeyleaks.com:

Not sure how dependable this website is, but it sounded interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somethings Bruin....

1/24/2010 Posted by Cjohnson202

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to many sources, the Bruins are closing in on what should be the first trade of many as we head towards the March 3rd trade deadline. While no sources have been able to come up with any concrete names, I have heard that Carolina and Boston have stepped up discussions over the last few days and that Ray Whitney may be who the Bruins have their eye on.

This one could have some merit with Savard going down. The Bruins need a playmaker to replace him. However, Whitney has to agree to where he's going and may not be that keen on playing with the B's

Spectors confirms Sens have interest in Ray W but claims that he "might resign with the Hurricanes". Also that Cullen "might be available"

Neither is real earth shaking news but gettin antsy for something to break soon, the suspense is killin me.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=873:nhl-rumors-monday-january-25-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

[quote name='maniacaniac wrote:

shauniac79']Here's something from
hockeyleaks.com:

Somethings Bruin....

According to many sources, the Bruins are closing in on what should be the first trade of many as we head towards the March 3rd trade deadline. While no sources have been able to come up with any concrete names, I have heard that Carolina and Boston have stepped up discussions over the last few days and that Ray Whitney may be who the Bruins have their eye on.

This one could have some merit with Savard going down. The Bruins need a playmaker to replace him. However, Whitney has to agree to where he's going and may not be that keen on playing with the B's

Makes sense for the B's but if I'm Whitney, and after what I witnessed last night, I'd be wondering if the B's were any closer to a making a big run than the Canes right now.  If Whitney agrees to go anywhere, I hope its to a team with a real shot at the Cup.........and then comes back this summer wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

maniacaniac wrote:

shauniac79']Here's something from
hockeyleaks.com:

Somethings Bruin....

Makes sense for the B's but if I'm Whitney, and after what I witnessed last night, I'd be wondering if the B's were any closer to a making a big run than the Canes right now.  If Whitney agrees to go anywhere, I hope its to a team with a real shot at the Cup.........and then comes back this summer wink.gif 

I picked Whitney to Boston in our little trade game thread. It does make sense but after watching them against the Canes I'm not sure I would wish the B's on my worst enemy let alone Whitney.  I also hope Whitney gets a shot with a top team and finds his way home over the summer.

CBCSPORTS.CA: Friedman suggests Carolina Hurricanes forward Ray Whitney might give an edge to any team willing to re-sign him. Whitney is a UFA in July who has a no-trade clause this season.   Speaking of the Hurricanes, GM Jim Rutherford might be changing his mind about not trading defenseman Joni Pitkanen

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It's been rumored Whitney might consider returning to the Hurricanes...As for Pitkanen he could fetch a decent return if he hits the trade block this season

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE
: Dave Molinari responded to a reader's e-mail regarding the possibility of the Penguins acquiring Ray Whitney by the trade deadline, acknowledging it might be possible for the Pens to squeeze him under their salary cap but the asking price might get too expensive by March 3rd, suggesting the Penguins might look elsewhere.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Penguins did make moves prior to the last two trade deadlines but this season I don't believe management has the available assets they're willing to part with to land a player like Whitney and could go the more affordable route.

USATODAY's Kevin Allen reported via his Twitter account the Boston Bruins won't part with the Toronto Maple Leafs first round pick in the 2010 entry draft as part of a deal for a scoring forward.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I wouldn't be surprised however if the Bruins are willing to part with their own first rounder.

CBCSPORTS.CA: Friedman suggests Carolina Hurricanes forward Ray Whitney might give an edge to any team willing to re-sign him. Whitney is a UFA in July who has a no-trade clause this season.   Speaking of the Hurricanes, GM Jim Rutherford might be changing his mind about not trading defenseman Joni Pitkanen

Listening to JR on the Buzz  it appeared he is backing off on the  no trade for some of the  core players if the deal was right. Pointed out that even  Gretzky was traded.  I think it would take a special deal for JR to part with Pitkanen but given the fact that we are looking 2 or 3 years down the road I think if the deal was right  Joni would be delt

Listening to JR on the Buzz  it appeared he is backing off on the  no trade for some of the  core players if the deal was right. Pointed out that even  Gretzky was traded.  I think it would take a special deal for JR to part with Pitkanen but given the fact that we are looking 2 or 3 years down the road I think if the deal was right  Joni would be delt

I didn't get "backing down" at all from JR's interview.  The comment about Gretzky is pretty much standard from any GM taking about making deals.  It's expected.  I would never expect him to say "no way would I even think about trading these X players".  Of course he is going to at least want to listen to what might be offered for those players but I would believe that any offer would have to be an overpayment for JR to considered a move.  And if a team was willing to overpay, I do believe he would consider it.  I don't consider him "backing down" because he never said it would never be considered.  The word "untouchable" was Chips, not JR's. 

JR did specifically say that he is not looking 2-3 years down.  He is looking for more immediate improvement and if we acquired 2nd rounders he would trade them for 1st or for a player that can offer us something next year. I think if Pitkanen is moved, it would not be for something that wouldn't turn into a player(s) that we see on the ice next year.

Whatever happens, I honest to God hope that Whitney comes back, and we take him back. This guy, more so than Staal or anybody else, has been our best offensive player now for 2+ seasons. He is truly a great player who also brings great character. I will HATE seeing him traded, but if it does happen, then he must come back. He's a Hurricane through and through.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']

Listening to
JR on the Buzz 
it appeared he is backing off on the  no trade for some of the  core players if the deal was right. Pointed out that even  Gretzky was traded.  I think it would take a special deal for JR to part with Pitkanen but given the fact that we are looking 2 or 3 years down the road I think if the deal was right  Joni would be delt

I didn't get "backing down" at all from JR's interview.  The comment about Gretzky is pretty much standard from any GM taking about making deals.  It's expected.  I would never expect him to say "no way would I even think about trading these X players".  Of course he is going to at least want to listen to what might be offered for those players but I would believe that any offer would have to be an overpayment for JR to considered a move.  And if a team was willing to overpay, I do believe he would consider it.  I don't consider him "backing down" because he never said it would never be considered.  The word "untouchable" was Chips, not JR's. 

JR did specifically say that he is not looking 2-3 years down.  He is looking for more immediate improvement and if we acquired 2nd rounders he would trade them for 1st or for a player that can offer us something next year. I think if Pitkanen is moved, it would not be for something that wouldn't turn into a player(s) that we see on the ice next year.

I didn't say backing down I said appears to be backing off  .  Thats a big difference  .  I just thought it was an interesting remark.  I understand alot of this is GM speak .  I find it interesting that all of a sudden Joni is being mentioned in trade rumors.

Ok, I didn't get "backing off" from that interview either.  <Repeat previous post>.   If JR ever said those players we not going to be traded, nada, no way, please post a link to the interview so I can hear it from his mouth myself.  All I have heard is the media's interpretation of what JR said to them and who really knows what was said.  The only time I have ever heard if from his mouth was <either last season or the season before, time flies> when he said in an interview on XM that Staal and Ward were the only players that he would not trade and that history is irrelevant at this point.

Personally, I am  never surprised at anyone's name mentioned in a trade rumor.  Anyone can make up this stuff and put it out there - and make a living out of it....see Eklund.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It's been rumored Whitney might consider returning to the Hurricanes...As for Pitkanen he could fetch a decent return if he hits the trade block this season

I'm sorry, but why trade Pitkanen?  What is a decent return, another Eric Staal, someone with a huge contract for him to absorb?  Most teams I wouldn't think would give up their prize players for Joni.  He's an offensive threat, so I just don't get it.  So we will have one d-man to build around in Gleason????  Why not build around Pitkanen and Gleason??  Just don't get this, not at all.

I don't see it either unless there's more going on behind the scenes than we know (which is always the case).  JR doesn't usually "drop" a name like that without some purpose, and before people start assuming anything, I am in NO WAY suggesting that there may issues behind the scenes with Joni Pitkanen in Raleigh.

If he does get put out there for trade bait, his value will depend completely on whether or not Tomas Kaberle agrees to waive his NTC.  If he agrees, Kaberle will become the top sought after offensive minded defenseman for any contending team, thus lowering Pitkanen's trade value.  Kaberle has 1 year left at $4.25 on his contract and Pitkanen has 1 year left at $4.5.   If Kaberle chooses not to waive it, Pitkanen will become one of, if not the top puck moving defenseman out there allowing JR to get full value for him.  Whoever bids for either of these players will need cap space and will pay a hefty price tag.

I can't see JR even entertaining this idea unless he was oferred a top 4 puck moving defenseman in some kind of trade since our defense next season will be made up of Tim Gleason and rookies.  The only way this would make any sense IMO is if Pitkanen either wants out, they want him out, or if JR has his eyes set on someone else to fill that role somewhere and Joni is the trade bait that can get another deal done.

Again...NOT SAYING this is the case but its the only thing that makes some sense to me.

I'm sorry, but why trade Pitkanen?  What is a decent return, another Eric Staal, someone with a huge contract for him to absorb?  Most teams I wouldn't think would give up their prize players for Joni.  He's an offensive threat, so I just don't get it.  So we will have one d-man to build around in Gleason????  Why not build around Pitkanen and Gleason??  Just don't get this, not at all.

Remember - it's just speculation.  All these rumor include the words perhaps, might, maybe.  Everyone is speculating.  However, you asked why.  Because there is a big demand for a player like him and  very little supply on the market.  That has potential for a very good return.  There are plenty of options for a great return that do not include a taking on a huge contract.  I don't think anyone is expecting to get an Eric Staal for him or anyone we have to offer for that matter except well Eric Staal.   Who knows what other teams would offer, especially if they are in a position we were in 4 years ago with a real strong belief they can take it all the way.  Jr is making it clear that he wants to hear all offers.  Why would he shut the door on anyone before he even hears what they have to say?  It's smart business.  He's feeling their value in the market the same way Chad and Erik tested their value July 1 last year. 

My opinion of why Pitkanen was not mentioned as a "build around" player is because of the size of his contract and the potential size of his next contract.  If his salary goes up and I think the potential for that is good considering what others are getting paid that bring less than what he does, he may be priced right off our team.  We can only have so many in that level of pay grade. 

Ok, I didn't get "backing off" from that interview either.  <Repeat previous post>.   If JR ever said those players we not going to be traded, nada, no way, please post a link to the interview so I can hear it from his mouth myself.  All I have heard is the media's interpretation of what JR said to them and who really knows what was said.  The only time I have ever heard if from his mouth was <either last season or the season before, time flies> when he said in an interview on XM that Staal and Ward were the only players that he would not trade and that history is irrelevant at this point.

Personally, I am  never surprised at anyone's name mentioned in a trade rumor.  Anyone can make up this stuff and put it out there - and make a living out of it....see Eklund.

I agree with much of what you say.  I just find it curious that JR would make a point of it at the same time the Pitkanen rumors started.  I'm not saying he is going to be traded. Joni in ice time makes up 50% of our defense on some nights. You are correct that JR has never identified who he considers core players beyond Staal and Ward.  But this time he didn't make a point of saying a few core players either. I really  just find it curious and anyone can listen  and make up their own mind.  It really is only rumor, speculation and interpretation at this point.

By the way the rumor posted came from CBC  not Eklund.

Regarding Pitkanen:

I think JR is listening to offers, as he should. But IF i'm JR, Pitkanen doesn't get traded unless you are giving me a NHL ready defensemen who will be RFA after his contract expires along with a pick or prospect (i don't see many teams offering that). We absolutely cannot go into July 1st with Gleason as our only legit Top 4 dman. Even if he has plans to re-sign Corvo, I might hold off trading Pitkanen until this time next year and after I talk to his agent and get a feel for what his asking price is. IMHO, we need to start the season with Pitkanen and go from there.

As for his name popping it, it all started with Chip Alexander and his '5 untouchables' debate last Monday. That's when all the 'speculation' of Joni being traded started b/c Pitkanen was left off that list.

If I'm thinking JR is as smart as me, he's listening to offers for everyone minus Staal/Cam, but won't trade his core unless its an offer you just can't refuse and I don't see many teams willing or able to give us what I consider an offer you can't refuse (young Top 4 D or young Top 6 forward along with picks and/or prospects). And my core consists of Staal/Cam/Ruutu/Sutter/Gleason/Pitkanen.

I need to be JRs assistant so I can guide him in the right direction roll.gif

Regarding Pitkanen:

I think JR is listening to offers, as he should. But IF i'm JR, Pitkanen doesn't get traded unless you are giving me a NHL ready defensemen who will be RFA after his contract expires along with a pick or prospect (i don't see many teams offering that). We absolutely cannot go into July 1st with Gleason as our only legit Top 4 dman. Even if he has plans to re-sign Corvo, I might hold off trading Pitkanen until this time next year and after I talk to his agent and get a feel for what his asking price is. IMHO, we need to start the season with Pitkanen and go from there.

As for his name popping it, it all started with Chip Alexander and his '5 untouchables' debate last Monday. That's when all the 'speculation' of Joni being traded started b/c Pitkanen was left off that list.

If I'm thinking JR is as smart as me, he's listening to offers for everyone minus Staal/Cam, but won't trade his core unless its an offer you just can't refuse and I don't see many teams willing or able to give us what I consider an offer you can't refuse (young Top 4 D or young Top 6 forward along with picks and/or prospects). And my core consists of Staal/Cam/Ruutu/Sutter/Gleason/Pitkanen.

I need to be JRs assistant so I can guide him in the right direction roll.gif

I agree with what you say.  As of right now, Gleason, Pitkanen, and Alberts, I think are all we got signed through next season.  You trade away Pitkanen and you are left with Gleason and Alberts.  Only one top four d-man really scares me.

Let me know if you all need an assistant when you become his partner!  I would be more than happy to help out.  laugh.gif

I agree with much of what you say.  I just find it curious that JR would make a point of it at the same time the Pitkanen rumors started.  I'm not saying he is going to be traded. Joni in ice time makes up 50% of our defense on some nights. You are correct that JR has never identified who he considers core players beyond Staal and Ward.  But this time he didn't make a point of saying a few core players either. I really  just find it curious and anyone can listen  and make up their own mind.  It really is only rumor, speculation and interpretation at this point.

By the way the rumor posted came from CBC  not Eklund.

I just wish something would happen already so we can stop spending so much time analyzing everything we hear and speculating and start talking about something real!  I hope we see something before the break, anything.  Otherwise it's going to be one looong quiet period before the frenzy.

If I were going to make any predictions: if Joni were to get traded, regardless of what we might get in return, he's a Cane again in 2011 after JR realizes he let another player go that he couldn't replace.

I don't see any player being traded for other players unless they are prospects or added to a draft pick.  My opinion, Pitkanen would drive maybe a 2nd  round draft or a 2nd and a prospect to some team that is hungry, especially with another year left on his contract.  Maybe JR is holding out on a first and just driving interest among the other GMs.   They will not trade Whitney for anything less than a draft pick.

The Canes are not looking to bring on other people for these guys (Corvo, Pitkanen, Whitney, Cullen) but looking for draft picks in a strong overall draft in 2010.  The Canes are going young and cheap the next couple of years.  Especially cheap with revenues being so low.    Bring up some rats and get a couple of free agents.   I never thought I would see Pitkanen traded so early but if someone offers a #1 draft pick for him or a high #2 with a possible added prospect, pack his bags.     You save $3M and get a young guy.

Was talking to my buddy out in SJ who is a smart hockey guy and told him I would trade Corvo for a 2nd rounder and he said,  "call JR and get the papers ready."     Guys, we are selling assets and not looking to make a trade to get more assets.  It is about dumping and running.

I don't see any player being traded for other players unless they are prospects or added to a draft pick.  My opinion, Pitkanen would drive maybe a 2nd  round draft or a 2nd and a prospect to some team that is hungry, especially with another year left on his contract.  Maybe JR is holding out on a first and just driving interest among the other GMs.   They will not trade Whitney for anything less than a draft pick.

The Canes are not looking to bring on other people for these guys (Corvo, Pitkanen, Whitney, Cullen) but looking for draft picks in a strong overall draft in 2010.  The Canes are going young and cheap the next couple of years.  Especially cheap with revenues being so low.    Bring up some rats and get a couple of free agents.   I never thought I would see Pitkanen traded so early but if someone offers a #1 draft pick for him or a high #2 with a possible added prospect, pack his bags.     You save $3M and get a young guy.

Was talking to my buddy out in SJ who is a smart hockey guy and told him I would trade Corvo for a 2nd rounder and he said,  "call JR and get the papers ready."     Guys, we are selling assets and not looking to make a trade to get more assets.  It is about dumping and running.

So are you ready to roll with Gleason, Carson, Rodney, and Alberts as our Top 4 next year? And that makes us better how. Trading Pitkanen for picks/prospects now is not making this team better. That's why I say go with him into next season and see where we are at. Talk to his agent this time next year and see what his asking price is. Going into next year with the defense I listed above is suicidal. I'm willing to be cellar dwellers this year, but this org can't take another 1-2 years at the bottom.

And as far as saving money, JR should have thought about that before he overpaid guys named Walker, Samsonov, Cole, LaRose, and the list goes on. Pitkanen is actually WORTH his price and it will be a darn shame to trade him to save some money because you screwed up and and can't get rid of these guys who are in fact overpaid.

ETA: I'm not sure how long you have been following the team, but this franchise (Canes) has needed a defensemen like Pitkanen since they were born in 1997. The likes of Pitkanen don't come around very often, that's why there are tons of teams right now trying to get their hands on him. They come once in a blue moon and trying to find someone to replace him is going to be very hard.

Adding more to the Pitkanen speculation, from ESPN/Pierre LeBrun (this is from Saturday): ESPN Weekend Roundup

Hurricanes listen

Any player headed for unrestricted free agency is available in Carolina, but the Hurricanes are getting lots of calls on a player that's under contract for next season.
has another year on his deal at $4.5 million for next season. The Canes like him a lot and are not trying to move him in any way. Yet, the interest from other teams is so high for the puck-mover, one wonders if Carolina will be able to say no before March 3 if the offers are too good to resist. The 26-year-old leads all NHL players in ice time per game, averaging just over 27 minutes. There won't be many top-four defensemen moving before March 3, so the high interest in Pitkanen is reflective of a barren marketplace for that position.

And, he has some addition thoughts re: Whitney:

One player who will very likely move if he allows it with his no-trade clause is winger
, as I mentioned last week. To me, Pittsburgh and Calgary are screaming for this kind of move, as both clubs need offensive help and a boost to their power plays.

Here's the thing: He's cheaper to acquire now than on March 3. If the Hurricanes could unload him now, they'd save on their payroll. Come March 3, there's only five and a half weeks left on Whitney's $3.55 million salary, so the Hurricanes wouldn't be saving nearly as much. In the meantime, teams will be scrambling for his services that day and the price will go up. Either way, the Hurricanes are hoping to recoup a first or second round pick and a prospect for Whitney.\

This team needs to be good next year. Not necessarily great, but good. I agree with those who say that the only way it makes sense to trade Joni is in a too good to be true scenario where we get back a top 4 dman and a first round pick. Or if we get back a first line winger of about the same age and then go for a veteran free agent defenseman next year. Getting Joni was a steal. Losing Joni only makes sense in another lopsided trade.

There are levels of the core. The untouchables: Staal, C. Ward, Sutter. Then the almost untouchable: Gleason. Then the close core: Pitkanen. Then the outer core: Ruutu, (for me Cullen and Jokinen and probably Kostopolous due to salary). And it goes out from there to the periphery where A.Ward and Brind'Amour dwell. Only the untouchables are truly untouchable. Every one else has a price. The closer to the core, the higher the price.

I do think in general we should be stockpiling picks for salary dumps at this point.

I don't see how Jussi is not an untouchable. He has been absolutely incredible lately, and only getting better. I also think that if we trade Pitkanen then Jussi's play will go down. How many of Jussi's goals has an assist by Pitkanen? Their chemistry is too good to separate them. Also, I'm pretty sure JR said something about not thinking about making this team better 2 to 3 years from now. He is building this team for NEXT YEAR. We are not a better team without Pitkanen next year. There IS a reason why so many teams want this guy.....