The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

I don't see how Jussi is not an untouchable. He has been absolutely incredible lately, and only getting better. I also think that if we trade Pitkanen then Jussi's play will go down. How many of Jussi's goals has an assist by Pitkanen? Their chemistry is too good to separate them. Also, I'm pretty sure JR said something about not thinking about making this team better 2 to 3 years from now. He is building this team for NEXT YEAR. We are not a better team without Pitkanen next year. There IS a reason why so many teams want this guy.....
Yes, but...

J.R.'s job is to make these decisions with his head and not his heart.  As much as he says that he's building for next year, he can't afford to do it without at least glancing past next year.  If he feels that he is going to be priced out of the Joni Pitkanen market, he will probably entertain more possibilities of trading Joni.  If Joni is going to merit a raise on his next contract (and don't we expect that), is J.R. going to want to or be able to go 5 mil+ a year?

Yes, I think he's a horse.

Yes, I think we will be a much better team with Joni next year.

No, I don't think we have a replacement in the system.

Yes, I think he could be traded with one year left on his deal and a raise possible as a UFA.

Just speculating here, does anybody know which other team might be heavy on goalie prospects? After Peters and Murphy we are weak in goalie depth and there is no telling if Manny wants to resign or if JR feels he can save $$ and thinks Peters might be ready to back up Cam.

Peters isn't ready and honestly I'm not sure he's ever gonna be more then a backup in the NHL. I guess you stop looking at goalie depth when you finally find the franchise goalie youve dreamt of.

Just speculating here, does anybody know which other team might be heavy on goalie prospects? After Peters and Murphy we are weak in goalie depth and there is no telling if Manny wants to resign or if JR feels he can save $$ and thinks Peters might be ready to back up Cam.
I'm not sure because I don't watch enough AHL but for some reason I think Dallas has some good prospects.  I did see Manny mentioned a few weeks ago in a trade rumor listing of available Canes.  Surprised me a little but Manny could be attractive to a team needing goalie help as deadline approaches.  I don't know if Peters is ready but expect we might get to see him a little later this year.

From hockeyleaks.com.  Nothing new but hey, it passes the time:

The Vancouver Canucks are looking to make a move or two, and Hockeyleaks.com has the latest.  The Canucks have shown interest in wingers Ray Whitney (Carolina), Paul Kariya (St. Louis) and Alexei Ponikarovsky (Toronto).  They've also shown interest in a couple of d-man, including Ryan O'Byrne (Montreal) and Brian Lee (Ottawa).  One source close to the Canucks told me that he believes Cory Schneider will be moved before the March 3 deadline.

According to many sources, the Bruins are closing in on what should be the first trade of many as we head towards the March 3rd trade deadline.  While no sources have been able to come up with any concrete names, I have heard that Carolina and Boston have stepped up discussions over the last few days and that Ray Whitney may be who the Bruins have their eye on. 

The Bruins ought to give us Toronto's #1 for Whitney, considering we took A Ward off their hands this year... dry.gif

I hope Whitney doesn't go to Boston because rooting for him would be like rooting for the Bruins. That would be just plain wront to me lol

I'm going to miss the Wizard as he is indeed a favorite of mine, but I gotta tell you I'm starting to get intrigued as to what he might bring. At least the trade rumors seem to suggest that JR is in the driver's seat on this one as long as Ray agrees to waive the NTC to that particular team.

Darren Dredger put out his list of the 10 players likely to be dealt before the trade deadline.  Canes were #2 and #6, no surprise here.  Most of us had them tagged as the first to go in the fire sale.

1) Ilya Kovalchuk
*2) Ray Whitney-Carolina's leading scorer is one of a number of prominent Hurricanes on the block. The 37-year old forward will draw interest based on his scoring touch and the fact he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.
3) Peter Mueller
4) Matt Stajan
5) Alexei Ponikarovsky
*6) Matt Cullen-In a market expected to pay a premium for centremen, the 33-year old Hurricane with proven offensive skills and a Stanley Cup on his resume will attract trade offers.
7) Lubomir Visnovsky
8) Sheldon Souray
9) Ethan Moreau
10) Marty Turco

And also from TSN, Scott Cullen (Power Rankings guy) gives his play book for the trade deadline:

CAROLINA HURRICANES

UFA in 2010: Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Joe Corvo, Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin, Manny Legace.

RFA in 2010: Jiri Tlusty, Brett Carson.

Top Prospects:
Zach Boychuk, RW, Albany (AHL)
Drayson Bowman, LW, Albany (AHL)
Jamie McBain, D, Albany (AHL)
Zac Dalpe, C, Ohio State (CCHA)
Mike Murphy, G, Albany (AHL)

Others of Interest: Jerome Samson, Erik Cole, Sergei Samsonov.

No-Trade Clauses: Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Niclas Wallin.

The Plan: The Hurricanes are paying the price for loyalty, with veterans like Rod Brind'Amour, Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov all inked for another year beyond this miserable season, meaning that attempts to purge the roster won't likely get fully undertaken until the summer. In the meantime, however, the 'Canes have a number of young prospects on the way that can use the latter portion of the season to audition for full-time work next season and Carolina should be able to get a decent return for a veteran rental like Ray Whitney, whose power play ability will make him a nice fit for many contenders, and a healthy Joe Corvo could also be appealing to a contender needing a big shot from the point.

Darren Dredger put out his list of the 10 players likely to be dealt before the trade deadline.  Canes were #2 and #6, no surprise here.  Most of us had them tagged as the first to go in the fire sale.

1) Ilya Kovalchuk

*2) Ray Whitney-Carolina's leading scorer is one of a number of prominent Hurricanes on the block. The 37-year old forward will draw interest based on his scoring touch and the fact he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

3) Peter Mueller

4) Matt Stajan

5) Alexei Ponikarovsky

*6) Matt Cullen-In a market expected to pay a premium for centremen, the 33-year old Hurricane with proven offensive skills and a Stanley Cup on his resume will attract trade offers.

7) Lubomir Visnovsky

8) Sheldon Souray

9) Ethan Moreau

10) Marty Turco

And also from TSN, Scott Cullen (Power Rankings guy) gives his play book for the trade deadline:

CAROLINA HURRICANES

UFA in 2010: Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, Stephane Yelle, Joe Corvo, Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin, Manny Legace.

RFA in 2010: Jiri Tlusty, Brett Carson.

Top Prospects:

Zach Boychuk, RW, Albany (AHL)

Drayson Bowman, LW, Albany (AHL)

Jamie McBain, D, Albany (AHL)

Zac Dalpe, C, Ohio State (CCHA)

Mike Murphy, G, Albany (AHL)

Others of Interest: Jerome Samson, Erik Cole, Sergei Samsonov.

No-Trade Clauses: Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Niclas Wallin.

The Plan: The Hurricanes are paying the price for loyalty, with veterans like Rod Brind'Amour, Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov all inked for another year beyond this miserable season, meaning that attempts to purge the roster won't likely get fully undertaken until the summer. In the meantime, however, the 'Canes have a number of young prospects on the way that can use the latter portion of the season to audition for full-time work next season and Carolina should be able to get a decent return for a veteran rental like Ray Whitney, whose power play ability will make him a nice fit for many contenders, and a healthy Joe Corvo could also be appealing to a contender needing a big shot from the point.

I still say moving Cullen will leave a hole that will be tough to fill unless we draft Seguin. Staal, Cullen, Sutter down the middle unless we draft Seguin if I'm JR.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

TSA']...a healthy
could also be appealing to a contender needing a big shot from the point.

I still say moving Cullen will leave a hole that will be tough to fill unless we draft Seguin. Staal, Cullen, Sutter down the middle unless we draft Seguin if I'm JR.

I still feel like we will resign Cullen and Whitney next year, with Whitney being almost a lock. I think Cullen is going to depend on what they decide to do with Boychuk - he's a natural center but has played wing up here so far. If they think he's ready they may put him in that spot, or maybe bring him up anyway and put him on the wing for a year next to Cullen.

And I think we would be hearing a lot more about Corvo instead of Pitkanen if Corvo were healthy. We could still see him moved. I'm not convinced we will have the $$ to re-sign him, especially after this season. Which has me much more concerned about the D for next year than our offense....

[quote name='JLP wrote:

remkin wrote:

TSA']...a healthy
could also be appealing to a contender needing a big shot from the point.

I still feel like we will resign Cullen and Whitney next year, with Whitney being almost a lock. I think Cullen is going to depend on what they decide to do with Boychuk - he's a natural center but has played wing up here so far. If they think he's ready they may put him in that spot, or maybe bring him up anyway and put him on the wing for a year next to Cullen.

And I think we would be hearing a lot more about Corvo instead of Pitkanen if Corvo were healthy. We could still see him moved. I'm not convinced we will have the $$ to re-sign him, especially after this season. Which has me much more concerned about the D for next year than our offense....

I love Whitney, but one year age is going to hit him hard. Further he brings salary. I'm not firmly against it, but if we do, someone else (LaRose, Joninen) might have to go to make room for the kids. I personally thing Ruutu is nearly a lock to stay. As long as age doesn't bust out on him he can still be a decent second liner, but he (especially one year older) is no longer that 1st line winger many of us crave.

I agree with you about Corvo. Cane's website suggests Corvo could be back this week. Once he gets out there, and especially if he looks good, it only makes sense that he will quickly get into the conversation. With all this talk of Pitkanen, Corvo is the guy I could live with trading from the back end (obviously other than A.Ward, whom I would take a half eaten Cinnabon for).

I happen to think Boychuk will be far enough along by next year to make the team, but Staal/Sutter/Boychuk is not as strong as Staal/Cullen/Sutter with Boychuk on the wing for a year or two. Cullen is still relatively young and is playing well and with effort. I really want to keep Cullen at least until the draft. If by some wind of fortune we get Seguin, then we could trade Cullen (or move him to wing).

[quote name='JLP wrote:

remkin']I still say moving Cullen will leave a hole that will be tough to fill unless we draft Seguin. Staal, Cullen, Sutter down the middle unless we draft Seguin if I'm JR.

I agree.  Despite the way this season and gone as a result of signing too many veterans and having a little too much loyalty, I think we will still re-sign several of our UFA's.  I feel they would be Whitney, Cullen & Corvo.  We lost Cullen once.  Then we went on a search for a replacement.  It took a while but we finally found one and his name was Matt Cullen.  I think there is a lesson in there somewhere.  Corvo is an interesting one and he's the one I am the most curious to see what happens this off season.  I think he will be dealt but I won't write him off as a potential returnee either.  Management really likes him.  At the STH party 2 years ago Mo was talking his skills up quite heavily and I was surprized when he said he thought he was the best all around athlete on the team.  He's a hard guy to read but everyone knows he is a bit of a headcase when it comes to the big market places.  Perhaps he likes it here where the media criticism doesn't compare to his previous experiences.  He has a very good friend on the team in Cole and he built quite a large shack here.  He may be a player who values other intangibles over money.  It will be interesting.

Today's Eklund's Dartboard of Ideas update (Hockeybuzz)

On Ray Whitney:

Still have Los Angeles as the most likely spot, but I am hearing more and more the Penguins with Whitney, so I added the Pens to the Chart. Unfortunately, the Kings are very much in on Kovalchuk and that may be distracting them from Whitney, who they almost had tied up in a trade 2 weeks ago. NJ and Vancouver are still in this.

I myself think that Cullen will be easier to resign that a few years ago. Yes i know it's always about money but I hope that Matt sees and feels like this is the place for him. He got big money by going to the Rangers but he wasn't happy with how things worked out. To me I would rather sign a smaller longer term contract than make big money for a year and end up not happy where i am playing.(it's not like he is broke).Hopefully he learned form his last move and decides that he wants to stay here and play.I think Matt fits our system very well and will continue to be a consistent PRO here in NC.

JUST MY OPINION

BOSTON HERALD:Steve Conroy reports the Bruins depth in draft picks - nine in thefirst two rounds over the next two years - could give them a fightingchance for anyone they want on the market, including Atlanta's IlyaKovalchuk or a more affordable option like Carolina's Ray Whitney.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If the Bruins are looking for a rentalplayer I think Whitney would be a better option for them rather thanover-paying for Kovalchuk, who would probably test the UFA market thissummer if he's traded by the Thrashers.

Nothing really new, just more talk about Boston.

A few names being thrown around to the flyers:

:Anthony SanFilippo reports not to expect the Philadelphia Flyers makinga major deadline day move for players like Kovalchuk, Tampa Bay'sVincent Lecavalier or Calgary's Dion Phaneuf, claiming he believes GMPaul Holmgren's repeated claims that he likes his current roster. SanFilippo suggests Holmgren might consider an affordable depth defensemanlike Carolina's Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin or Joe Corvo, Edmonton'sJason Strudwick, Toronto's Garnet Exelby or Columbus' Milan Jurcina.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Nice to see SanFilippo injecting common sense into the wild speculation surrounding the Flyers these days.

Spector's Hockey Rumors

Eklund's wild guess of the day from hockeybuzz...

*The Sens are now in on Ray Whitney along with Kings and Penguins. (The Senators are becoming a player according to many)

Just saw that as well...obviously been a good trading partner for us in the past, what would the return be?  Maybe Michalek but with Cole and Ruutu on the roster do we really need another power forward?  I just don't see anyone else on the roster who would fit in with a youth movement. 

[quote name='Law-Dawg wrote:

super-dave-1']Eklund's wild guess of the day from hockeybuzz...

*The Sens are now in on
along with Kings and Penguins. (The Senators are becoming a player according to many)

Just saw that as well...obviously been a good trading partner for us in the past, what would the return be?  Maybe Michalek but with Cole and Ruutu on the roster do we really need another power forward?  I just don't see anyone else on the roster who would fit in with a youth movement. 

I personally think that Cole doesn't really fit with this team anymore. So, if we were to move Cole somehow, I wouldn't mind this trade at all. Although, I think I would prefer Frolov from LA if possible..

On TSN last night:

TSN Hot Panel; Sens, Pens could make use of Whitney

Undoubtedly a lot of trade talk in the coming weeks will centre around Atlanta Thrashers' superstar sniper
, however our NHL on TSN panel points out that Carolina Hurricanes' veteran forward
could draw plenty of interest from a number of teams, including the Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins.

"Senators general manager Bryan Murray is looking for offensive help, and he's going to look to a veteran player like
,"explains TSN Insider Darren Dreger. "The Hurricanes have a couple ofveteran forwards that could be moved - Whitney is one, and
would be another one. Ottawa wants to add that scoring presence, thatdepth on their second or third line, and Whitney is a cheap addconsidering that he's an unrestricted free agent on July 1."

"The Pittsburgh Penguins are devoid of wingers and they need somehelp there," adds TSN Insider Bob McKenzie. "How would Whitney look ona line with
? Do you think Crosby might like that? Do you think Whitney, who has a no-trade clause, might like that?"

Whitney, 37, has 16 goals and 24 assists in 50 games for Carolinathis season. The native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta is in the finalyear of a three-year contract that pays him $3.55 million this year.

The veteran has suited up for San Jose, Edmonton, Florida, Columbus,Detroit, and Carolina during an NHL career that began in 1991. The NHLon TSN panel says that there are a number of teams that could use aplayer like Whitney.

"It's not just Pittsburgh, it's Buffalo, Boston, New Jersey,Vancouver, Los Angeles," explains McKenzie. "There are all sorts ofteams looking for an injection of offence, and
- who has won a Stanley Cup (with Carolina) and has scored in clutch situations - is exactly what the doctor ordered."

"The Los Angeles Kings' two primary targets (for a trade) - because they need the help up front - are
and
,"adds Dreger. "They can't miss on both of those, and there's a bigdiscrepancy there, but that's the pressure that teams like L.A. arefeeling to get into the playoffs."

And SPECTOR's regurgitation of the same article:

Spector's Rumors

Potential destinations for Ray Whitney, a plea for Rangersmanagement not to sacrifice the future for a quick fix, the latest onMike Modano and yes, another Vincent Lecavalier trade rumor.

:Panelists Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie suggested the PittsburghPenguins or Ottawa Senators might have interest in Carolina Hurricanesforward Ray Whitney in the coming weeks.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Not bad suggestions, although SenatorsGM Bryan Murray suggested yesterday he might not make any significantchanges for his club which has won 8 straight games to move upsubstantially in the Eastern standings, while the Penguins might nothave the available assets this time around to make a significant tradedeadline splash.

Please say no to trading Cullen. It seems that JR is clearly in the drivers seat on Whitney. I bet JR is letting this play out to see what the max he can squeeze out of the other guy. Nearly all the trade rumors target Whitney going somewhere, but almost no talk of what he will bring for us.

Please say no to trading Cullen. It seems that JR is clearly in the drivers seat on Whitney. I bet JR is letting this play out to see what the max he can squeeze out of the other guy. Nearly all the trade rumors target Whitney going somewhere, but almost no talk of what he will bring for us.
have no problem on Whitney,cole,wallin,walker corvo, etc  all going for whatever we can get- Cullen is still young enough to IMo be in the plans going forward

From WRAL:

As deadline approaches, Canes receive trade offers

It's one of those years for the Carolina Hurricanes. The
aren't very likely, but the roster is filled with talent that hasplayoff experience. That means general manager Jim Rutherford will haveplenty of opportunities to make trades with teams looking to beef uptheir playoff rosters.

"People are calling me now," Rutherfordtold The Insiders on 99.9 The Fan ESPN Radio. "This is one of thoseyears where you're a seller. I got a call this morning at 20 to 8 fromanother general manager and he said 'Oh I didn't realize it was thisearly'."

Rutherford said that the other general manager wasanxious to make a deal. He wouldn't say who the GM was or which playerhe wanted to make a deal for.

"Some days I may get 10 differentteams call me and there's other days where I may not get any,"Rutherford said. "But as we get closer to the March 3 deadline I'm surewith the amount of good players and the experience our guys havewinning Cups, I will get more and more calls as people get moreserious."

The Hurricanes have always operated on a budget that'sbelow the NHL average. It's a down economy. The season has been adisaster and ticket sales are down 10 percent. But Rutherford stillsays personnel moves won't solely be determined on what's betterfinancially.

"The decision will be based on whatever is betterfor the team in the long run to get assets for players that areunrestricted free agents, guys we don't know what their decisions aregoing to be the following year."

A slew of Hurricanes areeligible to become unrestricted free agents at the end of this season.They include Ray Whitney, Niclas Wallin, Matt Cullen, Scott Walker, JoeCorvo and Aaron Ward. Rutherford said that there is always anopportunity to trade a player in the short-term to receive a prospect,and then re-sign that player in the summer.

But when will thetrades start to fly? Rutherford said the second week of the Olympicsleading up to the March 3 trade deadline is when it will get reallybusy.

"That's when my phone will be ringing at all hours."