The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Please say no to trading Cullen. It seems that JR is clearly in the drivers seat on Whitney. I bet JR is letting this play out to see what the max he can squeeze out of the other guy. Nearly all the trade rumors target Whitney going somewhere, but almost no talk of what he will bring for us.
Forslund talked a little of what Whitney might be worth this morning on 650:  John Forslund on the Buzz 1/29

He said history is a little unpredictable with value and used the Hossa trade as an example of "not getting much return" but he said Whitney should be worth a prospect or maybe a tangible player and a high draft pick.  Basically said they will be lining up for him and Rutherford will be playing everyone against each other with his poker face.  I can't wait to see what happens.

From TSN.ca:

NHL ON TSN PANEL: SENS, PENS COULD MAKE USE OF WHITNEY

"Senators general manager Bryan Murray is looking for offensive help, and he's going to look to a veteran player like Ray Whitney," explains TSN Insider Darren Dreger. "The Hurricanes have a couple of veteran forwards that could be moved - Whitney is one, and Matt Cullen would be another one. Ottawa wants to add that scoring presence, that depth on their second or third line, and Whitney is a cheap add considering that he's an unrestricted free agent on July 1."

Full Article here

[quote name='Law-Dawg wrote:

super-dave-1']Eklund's wild guess of the day from hockeybuzz...

*The Sens are now in on
along with Kings and Penguins. (The Senators are becoming a player according to many)

Just saw that as well...obviously been a good trading partner for us in the past, what would the return be?  Maybe Michalek but with Cole and Ruutu on the roster do we really need another power forward?  I just don't see anyone else on the roster who would fit in with a youth movement. 

If trading with Sens, I could see JR wanting Lee, young defensemen who is struggling a bit in Ottawa. Comparison would be to Seidenberg, but with more potential. With injuries, the Sens are relying on Lee a bit to much and he's having a hard time adjusting. He seems like the perfect JR project.

OK so this really is not a rumor but NHL.com has a breakdown of who will be buyers and who will be sellers come the deadline.  I found their language for the Canes to be entertaining:

--
Come and get'em,
Part II. GM Jim Rutherford has gone on record thathe has experienced players who have won Stanley Cups, so he is open forbusiness.
name has been linked all over the place and
Adam
Ward,
haven't been far behind.

Rest of the breakdown here:  Who is buying and who is selling

Funny thing with A Ward is he's been playing a lot better lately. Makes me wonder if there were some serious chemistry issues going on there early in the season. I can't get that image out of my head of Joni directing him on the ice and almost just giving the puck to the other team. Can't remember what game that was, but that's when I knew no matter how bad our offense was, our defense was the real issue.

At any rate, he's a healthy guy with 3 rings who can play a decent 15 mins a night. I could see someone taking him as a depth guy for a third rounder or average prospect, especially if they were on the bubble, but I doubt it will happen.

[quote name=JLP]Funny thing with A Ward is he's been playing a lot better lately. Makes me wonder if there were some serious chemistry issues going on there early in the season. I can't get that image out of my head of Joni directing him on the ice and almost just giving the puck to the other team. Can't remember what game that was, but that's when I knew no matter how bad our offense was, our defense was the real issue.

At any rate, he's a healthy guy with 3 rings who can play a decent 15 mins a night. I could see someone taking him as a depth guy for a third rounder or average prospect, especially if they were on the bubble, but I doubt it will happen.

San Jose, I was at that game, sitting right above Pitkanen trying to organize the breakout.

According to the Ottawa Sun, San Jose wants Wallin.

"The San Jose Sharks are believed to be in the market for a veteran defenseman to help their chances at competing for the Stanley Cup. According to the Ottawa Sun, the Sharks are interested in Carolina Hurricanes rearguard Niclas Wallin and may have asked him to waive his no-trade clause. Wallin has vetoed a trade in the past, opting to remain a member of the Hurricanes. It's uncertain if Wallin is willing to accept a trade out of Raleigh, but he is one of a number of players the Hurricanes are trying to move. Ray Whitney, Scott Walker and Matt Cullen could also be dealt before Mar. 3. "

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/sjs100131.html

Possibility of trading A. Ward back to the Bruins for a late round pick.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=900:saturday-evening-nhl-rumors-january-30-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

By the way, is it just my computer or is my avatar now a Kings logo? If so, that is not intentional. I went to the Kings board this morning and it changed my avatar... whats up with that? I can't fix it!

Possibility of trading A. Ward back to the Bruins for a late round pick.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=900:saturday-evening-nhl-rumors-january-30-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

By the way, is it just my computer or is my avatar now a Kings logo? If so, that is not intentional. I went to the Kings board this morning and it changed my avatar... whats up with that? I can't fix it!

You are indeed displaying a Kings logo. Still the purple crown is preferable to the slug logo I once got after visiting that board. I have lost my av all together again.  It would be very interesting to see A-Ward return to the Bruins.  Maybe the big guy misses him!

From Spectors:

COURIER-POST ONLINE: Chuck Gormley reports former Carolina Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'amour might be dealt to a young team with playoff aspirations and extra room under the salary cap, suggesting the LA Kings might be a good fit. He also believes the Philadelphia Flyers need a scorer and suggests affordable options like Atlanta's Maxim Afinogenov or former Wild forward Petr Sykora, who's now a UFA, and for their defense suggests either Toronto's Garnet Exelby or Carolina's Aaron Ward.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Brind'amour's game has sharply declined over the past two years and at this point in his career he's more of a liability than a help. The Thrashers aren't likely to move Afinogenov so Sykora could be an option for the Flyers although his stock has been in decline these past couple of years. The Flyers signed former Tampa Bay Lightning d-man Lukas Krajicek so they've addressed their defensive depth.

From Spectors:

COURIER-POST ONLINE: Chuck Gormley reports former Carolina Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'amour might be dealt to a young team with playoff aspirations and extra room under the salary cap, suggesting the LA Kings might be a good fit. He also believes the Philadelphia Flyers need a scorer and suggests affordable options like Atlanta's Maxim Afinogenov or former Wild forward Petr Sykora, who's now a UFA, and for their defense suggests either Toronto's Garnet Exelby or Carolina's Aaron Ward.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Brind'amour's game has sharply declined over the past two years and at this point in his career he's more of a liability than a help. The Thrashers aren't likely to move Afinogenov so Sykora could be an option for the Flyers although his stock has been in decline these past couple of years. The Flyers signed former Tampa Bay Lightning d-man Lukas Krajicek so they've addressed their defensive depth.

Wow, Brindy mentioned in a trade rumor. Now thats something you don't see everyday.

From Spectors:

COURIER-POST ONLINE: Chuck Gormley reports former Carolina Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'amour might be dealt to a young team with playoff aspirations and extra room under the salary cap, suggesting the LA Kings might be a good fit. 

Who is Chuck Gormley and why does he still have a job?

found this article while on the Hawks message board.

Good Article by John Jaeckel:

OK, I get about 1/20th the number of trade rumors sent my way as compared to someone like Eklund.

Ek has scads of “sources,” where I have a handful. And some rumors I hear I either don’t put in the blog, or I bring up in order to debunk them.

What follows is one that I felt worth mentioning here because it feels like it has some validity.

Now, also bear in mind, my way of describing these rumors is sort of like a medium (think: John Edward of the tv show ‘Crossing Over’) trying to interpret signs and symbols from the Great Beyond: you get unconnected pieces of truth, a certain amount of hearsay or gap-filling, and you have to be careful to make sure everyone understands that this is just what a source is telling you.

So, all that caveating aside, I heard yesterday that the Blackhawks have contacted Carolina about the availability of defenseman Niclas Wallin.

Wallin checks a lot of the right boxes: a big, steady, stay at home defenseman (exactly what the Hawks’ back-end needs), a UFA after this season, a product of Swedish hockey (this is a bit of a generalization, but also generally true: Scotty Bowman likes Swedes).

If true, this would seem to lend credence to the belief that the Hawks will add a defenseman before the deadline, if not Wallin, then someone of his ilk.

Apparently the ‘Canes’ asking price for Wallin was a bit high for the Hawks’ tastes. The ‘Canes wanted an NHL roster player whom the Hawks felt was worth more than just Wallin. So the Hawks asked that a specific prospect be thrown into the deal. At which, the ‘Canes balked and said, essentially, “not right now.”

The NHL roster player the Canes asked for? No idea, but take your pick from Cam Barker, Kris Versteeg, or Dustin Byfuglien, or possibly even ex-Cane Andrew Ladd. Who knows, teams might be inquiring more now about Troy Brouwer. Though, as Brouwer is signed at $1 million a year through next season, I think the Hawks would be very reluctant to deal him.

The prospect the Hawks supposedly asked for? This is totally my guess: defenseman Brad DuMoulin, skilled American winger Drayson Bowman or big Swedish winger Matthias Lindstrom.

Another thing to note here, this move feels a lot like last season’s move for Sammy Pahlsson, which sent James Wisniewski to Anaheim: not a seismic move, but a pre-playoff salary dump/tweak.

A couple more things the tea leaves might be saying here. It sounds like the Blackhawks were initially not looking to part with one of their larger trade chips, but more likely 4th liners or prospects. Again, this would indicate either that the Hawks want to maintain the present chemistry as much as possible, OR, just as possible, they have another larger deal in the works or on the horizon. Bear in mind: some of those chips will have to be dealt at some point.

So stay tuned on this one, as it seems to have the elements of a perfect, albeit small, storm.

Nice find, CA. My guesses on the pieces mentioned above would be Barker, since his name has been tossed around a lot, and Bowman, since it seems JR has him pegged for a slot up here next year or the year after. The only problem I see right now is there's no way to get Barker - or any of the other players mentioned* - under our cap, even without Wallin. All three of those guys are $3 mil plus, while Wallin is about half that.

* - except of course, for Ladd, who is at $1.5 mil. But while I like Ladd, I can't see us taking him back with all the forwards we have.

Of course, if someone else is moved first, this could happen. The only downside I see to picking up Barker is he'd most likely be paired with Rodney, and those two as a second pair seems a bit shaky.

Wallin makes 2.2 I believe and we also have some cap relief with all the injuries we have had when players are put on long term injured reserve (Cole, Ward, Staal, Corvo, Ruutu). But that doesnt mean PK wants to spend any money seeing how he lost a lot this year. I just wish the hat would drop already! I bet nothing happens before the olympic break but there will be a mad 3 days afterwards until the March 1st deadline. That will be an exciting time no doubt.

According to the Ottawa Sun, San Jose wants Wallin.

"The San Jose Sharks are believed to be in the market for a veteran defenseman to help their chances at competing for the Stanley Cup. According to the Ottawa Sun, the Sharks are interested in Carolina Hurricanes rearguard Niclas Wallin and may have asked him to waive his no-trade clause. Wallin has vetoed a trade in the past, opting to remain a member of the Hurricanes. It's uncertain if Wallin is willing to accept a trade out of Raleigh, but he is one of a number of players the Hurricanes are trying to move. Ray Whitney, Scott Walker and Matt Cullen could also be dealt before Mar. 3. "

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/sjs100131.html

Hmmm.

Wallin makes 2.2 I believe and we also have some cap relief with all the injuries we have had when players are put on long term injured reserve (Cole, Ward, Staal, Corvo, Ruutu). But that doesnt mean PK wants to spend any money seeing how he lost a lot this year. I just wish the hat would drop already! I bet nothing happens before the olympic break but there will be a mad 3 days afterwards until the March 1st deadline. That will be an exciting time no doubt.
I believe the only players placed on long term injured reserve were Ward and Staal.  The others were only placed on injured reserve.  We do not have as much salary relief as you think.

Edit:  Actually I think CAM was the only player to be placed on LTIR.

Nic Wallin makes $1.725, not $2.2.  Who's to say the Sharks wouldn't offer Wallin a 1 year deal too if they had to give up a dman to get him?

He is a Ruutu type player in many ways and makes Ruutu type money. Would be nice to have someone like that now that we have to play big teams like Philly and Toronto. Perhaps we could do a Clowe for Wallin and Cole trade? Both teams are close to the cap and the trade would have to be even money for even money.

Nic Wallin makes $1.725, not $2.2.  Who's to say the Sharks wouldn't offer Wallin a 1 year deal too if they had to give up a dman to get him?
It's all up to Nic, really. If he plans to retire/go back to play in Sweden after this year, does he want a second shot at a Cup, or does he want to end it with the team and players he's been with all these years? If he plans to play another year or two, and JR tells him it won't be here, he has to consider going elsewhere.

Nic's one of those players whose flown under the radar.  If I were a contender with blueline needs, someone looking to bolster their bottom pairings, I'd look at #7 real hard.  I think his value has been underestimated around here.  But, like others have pointed out, it's all up to Nic.  Personally, it will be hard to see him end his NHL career in another jersey.