The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Nic has made it known in past actions he aint going anywhere or else he's going home to Sweden. JR had to talk him off a bridge last negotiation because he wanted to go home.

'Never say never' though. Situations change all the time and things might be a lot different this time around since Nic was approached the last time. Adding one or two true Cup contenders into the mix compared to waiving your NTC to play for some low-end playoff tea could make all the difference. Problem is no one really knows what Nic is planning for his future or what stipulations other teams might want have added to an agreement like resigning with them next year etc.

With all the talk I am hearing about Whitney being on the trade block and Calgary making trades, I would like to see Rene Bourque come to Carolina in exchange for Whitney.

Thoughts?

Nic has made it known in past actions he aint going anywhere or else he's going home to Sweden. JR had to talk him off a bridge last negotiation because he wanted to go home.
I heard is is already packing up his house for the move back to Sweden.  (A close friend that lives near him, is my source)

[quote name='Caniac5 wrote:

legend-1']Nic has made it known in past actions he aint going anywhere or else he's going home to Sweden. JR had to talk him off a bridge last negotiation because he wanted to go home.

I heard is is already packing up his house for the move back to Sweden.  (A close friend that lives near him, is my source)

Probably packing for a nice vacation during the Olympic break wink.gif

Look whose picture is on the front ESPN's NHL page:

nhl_g_whitney_576.jpg

Trade Bait Debate

Posted by Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun

Editor's note: There's the March 3 trade deadline, and thenthere's the Olympic roster freeze that goes into effect on Feb. 12.Between now and Feb. 12, ESPN.com's Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrunwill look at 10 potential trade baits and which teams have a chance atlanding some much-needed help.

Ray Whitney, Carolina Hurricanes

Scott Burnside: Hello, Pierre. Welcome to our daily look at thetrade landscape as we barrel along toward the start of the Olympicroster freeze on Feb. 12. The Calgary Flames, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs have already rocked the NHL world with a couple of big deals this past weekend, and the New York Rangers may get into the act, as well. But let's talk today about a guy I know you have likened to this season's Bill Guerin: Ray Whitney,a savvy veteran who has a Cup ring and is a point-a-game player. Hewouldn't be too big a hit in the wallet for the many teams that will belooking to acquire him from Carolina.

LeBrun: Yes, I think he's a terrific consolation prize for the suitors who lose out on Ilya Kovalchuk.But Whitney won't come cheap. Sure, his $3.55 million salary is notexorbitant, but Carolina is likely looking for a pick and/or prospectin return, which means inquiring clubs would be taking a sizeable caphit without sending any salary the other way. For the Hurricanes,saving money isn't a bad thing since the medium-market club is not inthe playoff hunt. So, for example, I think a team like the red-hot Ottawa Senatorscovets Whitney, but they can't fit his contract under the cap rightnow. Perhaps Whitney is a guy who doesn't move until closer to theMarch 3 trade deadline for that reason alone. We'll see.

Burnside:Agreed, the asking price for Whitney will likely be significantlyhigher than the third-round pick the Penguins sent to the Islanders ontrade deadline day a year ago. Boston is in dire need of offense andhas some high picks to move; you know Carolina GM Jim Rutherford wouldlove to grab the Leafs' first-round pick that is now the property ofthe Bruins thanks to the Phil Kesseltrade. That may seem like a lot for a rental player, but Whitney'svalue is going to be pretty high with teams like Los Angeles, the NewYork Rangers, Vancouver and others looking for offensive help and leadership.

LeBrun:Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told me unequivocally the Leafs' pick is notin play. So you can forget that. But Whitney would be a nice additionto a Bruins offense that ranks dead last in the NHL. The Kings would beinterested only as a Plan B if they don't get Kovalchuk. Whitney is apower-play stud and can play either the point or the forward positionon the unit, so he's versatile. The Penguins and Senators are among theworst-ranked power-play units in the league, so for that reason alone Ibelieve both teams will inquire. The Devils have slipped to 20th ingoals per game, and while it's impossible to ever predict whatsilence-is-golden GM Lou Lamoriello will do, I can't see him not atleast kicking the tires on a Cup champion and offensive wizard likeWhitney.

Burnside: Pierre, given how Calgary GM Darryl Sutter went from "I'm not trading Dion Phaneuf"to dealing him to Toronto, I guess you have to take everything a GMsays with a grain of salt at this time of year. But the pressure isdefinitely on Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to do something to get his teamback on track; the Bruins are poised to go from the top EasternConference team during the regular season in 2008-09 to missing theplayoffs entirely this season. Would I trade a lottery pick for RayWhitney? Probably not. But then again, I don't have the worst offensiveteam in the conference.

The Senators are certainly amongthe hottest teams in the league, but they aren't a particularly deepteam when it comes to young assets. I would expect GM Bryan Murray willbe pretty cautious about giving away what little he has, even for aplayer with Whitney's pedigree. Any other dark horses that might jumpin on the Whitney action? How about Nashville?

LeBrun: Twodark horses could be Phoenix and, yes, Nashville. I'm told both clubswant to add some offense, but with money being a prime consideration,as you might suspect. In the case of the Coyotes, which suffered abrutal injury loss (Scottie Upshall),I'm told they can only really do a "dollar-for-dollar" deal, so I'm notsure how that would work with Whitney. The Preds are actually arespectable 13th in the NHL in offense, but rank a dismal 29th on thepower play. That's why I think Whitney would be a good fit there. Butremember, Scotty, Whitney has a no-trade clause; he controls his fate.He may get picky when the time comes for Rutherford to show him what'sout there.

We should mention before we go that you and Iboth believe the Hurricanes may want to try to bring Whitney back July1 as an unrestricted free agent. That's something to keep in mind forcontending teams in case they had designs of trying to keep him around.Well, my friend, we'll talk again Tuesday!

Ray Whitney: Are Pens, Sens, and Preds interested?

Ahem...  Can I have your attention please!

I would just like to point out that TSN has made it official, we are now considered a MEDIUM MARKET team,  no longer a small market team

For the Hurricanes,saving money isn't a bad thing since the
medium-market
club is not inthe playoff hunt.

woohoo.gif

We now continue with our regularly scheduled programming, "Where will Ray Whitney go"

sarcasm warning

Well actually it's ESPN, not TSN and we all know how much they really know (or care) about hockey. 

Geesh, way to spoil the moment dry.gif

Ahem...  Can I have your attention please!

I would just like to point out that TSN has made it official, we are now considered a MEDIUM MARKET team,  no longer a small market team

For the Hurricanes,saving money isn't a bad thing since the
medium-market
club is not inthe playoff hunt.

woohoo.gif

We now continue with our regularly scheduled programming, "Where will Ray Whitney go"

I hope it's the Kings on Mar 2nd, so I can winwink.gifwink.gif

sarcasm warning

From the NY post, and laughable at times.

"The Penguins, who don't appear to have the depth to stay with the Capitals this time, would seem the perfect landing spot for Ray Whitney, the veteran Carolina left wing who will be a rental proposition.

If Hurricanes GM Gentleman Jim Rutherford has a notion of moving either Joni Pitkanen or Tim Gleason from his back end, the Rangers would stand on line overnight in order to get an early shot at either defenseman.

Pitkanen has one year at a $4 million hit remaining on his contract following this season, and Gleason has two more at a bargain $2.75M.

The Candy Canes also have Matt Cullen on the market as a rental. A team with a need at the power-play point might want to take a look."

Faceoff
-ch1 wrote:

But the pressure is definitely on Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to do something to get his team back on track; the Bruins are poised to go from the top Eastern Conference team during the regular season in 2008-09 to missing the playoffs entirely this season. Would I trade a lottery pick for Ray Whitney? Probably not. But then again, I don't have the worst offensive team in the conference.

Bruins just lost defenceman Mark Stuart for a month.  They need some defensive help to go along with that offensive scoring.  They have a nice 1st round pick and we have their answers here in Raleigh.   Do it JR, Chiarelli is as close to desperate as he can be right now, making the playoffs is not an option in Boston.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Faceoff
-ch1']

But the pressure is definitely on Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to do something to get his team back on track; the Bruins are poised to go from the top Eastern Conference team during the regular season in 2008-09 to missing the playoffs entirely this season. Would I trade a lottery pick for Ray Whitney? Probably not. But then again, I don't have the worst offensive team in the conference.

Bruins just lost defenceman Mark Stuart for a month.  They need some defensive help to go along with that offensive scoring.  They have a nice 1st round pick and we have their answers here in Raleigh.   Do it JR, Chiarelli is as close to desperate as he can be right now, making the playoffs is not an option in Boston.Chiarelli was quoted saying TOR's 1st round is not on the table, but then again, Phaneuf wasn't going to be traded either...

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

TSA wrote:

Faceoff
-ch1']

Bruins just lost defenceman Mark Stuart for a month.  They need some defensive help to go along with that offensive scoring.  They have a nice 1st round pick and we have their answers here in Raleigh.   Do it JR, Chiarelli is as close to desperate as he can be right now, making the playoffs is not an option in Boston.
Chiarelli was quoted saying TOR's 1st round is not on the table, but then again, Phaneuf wasn't going to be traded either...

TO's 1st rounder may not be available but the Bruins have one of their own wink.gif

Posted this on another thread, decided to copy it over here as well.

Heard John Forslund on 620 the Buzz this morning and he said a move could happen today. From the sound of it, it might be a d-man.

Corvo is on his way back, but they don't want to send Carson back down to Albany.

Heard John Forslund on 620 the Buzz this morning and he said a move could happen today. From the sound of it, it might be a d-man.

Corvo is on his way back, but they don't want to send Carson back down to Albany.

Forslund cracks me up. "I have a feeling that something might happen today". Here the link to the audio replay:

Forslund 2/2 audio link

write up on WRAL:

Canes could make move today

By Tim Hall

The first move has to happen at some point. Jim Rutherford has beenconstantly talking about making trades this season that will bringyoung prospects to the organization that will help the team in thefuture.

"I'mnot sure it's going to be a big one but they do have roster situationhere playing one under the roster limit with an injury to Chad LaRose,dressing one less player than Edmonton because of a salary cap issueand a situation involving Brett Carson's status."

Forslund saidthat some of the injured bodies will soon be back in the lineup. Hesays Joe Corvo is ready to go and Erik Cole is very close toreturning.� Forslund said the last thing the Canes would want to do issend Carson back to Albany.

"The only way to make room is to move somebody," Forslund said. "So I have a feeling something could happen today."

Canes could make move today

Oh gawd, please let it be AWard to Boston

(keeping fingers crossed)

Perhaps John knows something we don't and the trade could be the result of the moves made by other teams in the last few days. For instance Calgary, the Leafs, Ducks, or New York who is rumored to trade for Olli Jokinen today but it's being held up for some unknown reason. Calgary was rumored to be interested in Ray a while back and could use some offense.

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

hopper915']Posted this on another thread, decided to copy it over here as well.

Oh gawd, please let it be AWard to Boston

(keeping fingers crossed)

Boston..Detriot.. Anywhere.. please!

Perhaps John knows something we don't and the trade could be the result of the moves made by other teams in the last few days. For instance Calgary, the Leafs, Ducks, or New York who is rumored to trade for Olli Jokinen today but it's being held up for some unknown reason. Calgary was rumored to be interested in Ray a while back and could use some offense.
XM reports it as a done deal now.  Ollie Jokinen is a Ranger (and doesn't sound too pleased about it)

I hope something is done today because if not this will be almost a big a let down as when 99.9 had that Major announcement last week. Well at least the sites getting a lot of hits from me today.

Well, based upon Forslund's comments alone, it will involve a defensman, and the move will be made to keep Carson in the lineup.  If this is the case, it's likely a salary dump.  However, I'm not so sure it will be AWard.

I agree with coastal. I'm not sure it will be Award,  But whoever it is it appears based on  the Forslund comments it won't be long until we find out.