The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

I agree with coastal. I'm not sure it will be Award,  But whoever it is it appears based on  the Forslund comments it won't be long until we find out.

I'm not sure who it will be but "fingers crossed", with Mark Stuart out 4 weeks, Boston needs a defensemen....

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']

I agree with coastal. I'm not sure it will be Award,  But whoever it is it appears based on  the Forslund comments it won't be long until we find out.

I'm not sure who it will be but "fingers crossed", with Mark Stuart out 4 weeks, Boston needs a defensemen....

Very true but if it is Boston I wouldn't be surprised to see a winger go with  him

(ca1- you beat me to it.)Not sure we are ready to let Ray go yet but you never know. trades are starting to be made.

Boston has also been interested in Whitney, according to various rumors. Perhaps Aaron Ward and Ray Whitney for......

Forslund said it was not going to be a big trade.  I can't think of a bigger trade for us than Whitney so I would not expect it.  Stranger things have happened but I don't expect Whitney to go until after the Olympics.  Too many teams interested in him, JR will make them fight for him.

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

cane-addict-1']

Boston has also been interested in Whitney, according to various rumors. Perhaps Aaron Ward and Ray Whitney for......

Pick?! THE pick?!

Keep dreaming.  We are not getting Toronto's pick for Whitney and Ward.  Chiarelli has said publicly that pick is not on the table. Personally I think he would be a fool to give it up.   Of course things can change but it will take a lot more than those two to get that pick.  Add Cullen and perhaps but Boston can't take on all that salary so I just don't see how it would be feasible unless it was a three way trade somehow.

I think it was Dredger on versus last night (sorry I was in the other room and only heard it)  said Whitney could command  a number one pick ( I doubt it would be the Leaf pick) and a prospect but also indicated closer to deadline. 

This is like waiting for the shoe to drop.  Can you imagine what it must be like in the Canes locker room.

I think it was Dredger on versus last night (sorry I was in the other room and only heard it)  said Whitney could command  a number on pick and a prospect but also indicated closer to deadline. 

This is like waiting for the shoe to drop.  Can you imagine what it must be like in the Canes locker room.

No I can't.  It must really suck.  Isn't it ironic that a guy that spent all those years unable to find a home (before coming here) is now one of the most sought after players out there?  It must be weird for him.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87 wrote:

cane-addict-1']

Pick?! THE pick?!

Keep dreaming.  We are not getting Toronto's pick for Whitney and Ward.  Chiarelli has said publicly that pick is not on the table. Personally I think he would be a fool to give it up.   Of course things can change but it will take a lot more than those two to get that pick.  Add Cullen and perhaps but Boston can't take on all that salary so I just don't see how it would be feasible unless it was a three way trade somehow.

Oh, I agree with you. Yes, I was dreaming.. I think it would be one dumb move for him to do that. Maybe the Bruin's 1st round pick tho..

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87']Pick?! THE pick?!

Oh, I agree with you. Yes, I was dreaming.. I think it would be one dumb move for him to do that. Maybe the Bruin's 1st round pick tho..

Eh - dreams are pretty much all we have left this season so dream away.....

Lots of talk in LA about Whitney/Wallin supposed to have been a King this past weekend. Apparently both waived their NTCs, but with the Canes play of late and more teams calling about Whitney, his price tag got higher and the Kings aren't sure they want to pay the price now.

Lots of talk in LA about Whitney/Wallin supposed to have been a King this past weekend. Apparently both waived their NTCs, but with the Canes play of late and more teams calling about Whitney, his price tag got higher and the Kings aren't sure they want to pay the price now.
I was just reading that - on Hockeybuzz so always have to take with a grain of salt.  Here is the article:

Price too high for Whitney

Whitney was supposed to be a King by this past weekend. He had apparently waived his no-trade clause.

Lombardi admits speaking to Atlanta about Kovalchuk. He makes an offer. Atlanta makes an offer.

Does this put the Whitney deal on hold? Most likely. I was also told a Carolina defenseman was also involved.

Kovalchuk and the Kings seems to fall apart (or put on hold whileWaddell seeks other offers), when Lombardi allegedly refuses to includeWayne Simmonds in the deal. (yay!)

In this time Whitney's price apparently went up. The fact that Carolina started to go on a winning streak didn't help matters.

Cammalleri gets hurt, is now out 6-8 weeks. With Montreal fighting forplayoff position and Toronto trading away most of the players thatcould have been dealt... Whitney's price just went even further up.

I understand Lombardi playing the waiting game. He always has.Especially since the Kings were on a phenomenal road trip. Why shakethings up now, when you still have 11 days before the trade freeze?

Of course, if there are new players coming into the system via trade,you might want them spending the time with Coach Murray learning thenew system so when the team DOES come back from the Olympics, they'realready situated.

Lombardi is going to have to look to his old trading partners inEdmonton (no, he has no interest in bringing Lubo OR O'Sullivan back)since there aren't many teams selling these days. The Islanders,currently sitting 13th are only 3 points out of a playoff spot and StLouis, also 13th is only 5 spots out. I don't imagine Columbus isthrowing in the towel... yet.

As for Kovalchuk, one source close to to the situation told me Kovi tothe Kings was a "fait accompli" while another source close to it toldme "he's staying put". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Here some more Canes gossip from HOckeybuzz.  This is from the Blackhawks blogger:

Ladd leaves practice

Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune tweeted within the hour that
left practice early today (no explanation) and soon-to-return
was centering
and

Now, there could be quite a few explanations for this: an injury, an urgent call from Ladd's Mom, anything.

But, with speculation swirling around the Blackhawks acquiring any one of
and most recently Pittsburgh's
,Ladd being an RFA this offseason and Bolland's impending return furthercomplicating an already very crowded Chicago forward depth chart— Laddcould be headed to O'Hare as we speak.

Will update as I hear anything. Again, this could be nothing. But, it is that time of year.

Update:  It was confirmed that Ladd left with an LBI. I imagine every time a player is not present or leaves practice early, there will be a trade rumor started...

Update:  It was confirmed that Ladd left with an LBI. I imagine every time a player is not present or leaves practice early, there will be a trade rumor started...

Leggy, Brunette Italian.  Sounds like a good reason to me to leave practice early.

We are going to drive ourselves crazy until something happens.

Not sure where I see that Wallin was the defenseman rumored to be involved.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Update:  It was confirmed that Ladd left with an
LBI
. I imagine every time a player is not present or leaves practice early, there will be a trade rumor started...

Leggy, Brunette Italian.  Sounds like a good reason to me to leave practice early.

We are going to drive ourselves crazy until something happens.

It took me way too long to realize it meant Lower Body Injury so I'll be posting my shame to help out the others who may be like me.

Lots of stuff from Darren Dreger on the TSN site

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308684

Darren Dreger: Dreger: Walker, Ward, Alberts, Yelle, Wallin, Legace. The Carolina Hurricanes are rebuilding with Eric Staal, Cam Ward,and potentially the first overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft tolead the construction. A number of teams have interest in the playersboth you and I have identified. I know at least one team is prepared togive up a first rounder and a prospect for Whitney.

And Bob McKenzie followed up with a whole lot more on Whitney:

Whitney's all that and a bag of donuts

It's going to get very interesting, and maybe even a little tense, on the Ray Whitney front in Carolina.

Next to Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk, the Hurricanes' goal-scoringwinger may be one of the more attractive offensive commodities moved atthe deadline. He's an unrestricted free agent at the end of thisseason, so he's technically a ''rental'' player but because he has ano-trade clause, the dynamics at work are quite interesting. For bothhim and the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings progressed so far along onWhitney trade talks recently that sources tell TSN that Kings' generalmanager Dean Lombardi was given permission by Carolina GM JimRutherford to talk to Whitney's agent J.P. Barry about a contractextension.

And that apparently is where things went off the rails.

Sources say Whitney was looking for a three-year deal from the Kingsin exchange to waive his NTC to go to Los Angeles.
shock.gif
The Kings apparentlybalked. A one year deal might be workable for L.A. but three? No chance.

Suffice to say the Hurricanes were less than amused. It's believedthe Kings were prepared to part with a draft pick (not a first-rounderbut perhaps a second) and a prospect (the best guess is that it's oneof  Regina Pat defenceman Colten Teubert or Manchester MonarchViacheslav Voinov), which is apparently the only solid offer the Caneshave received so far for Whitney.

Some believe Whitney is simply calling his shot here, raising theprice and stakes for teams that he's not really interested in playingfor until the team he desires puts in a call to the Hurricanes, inwhich case he could conceivably be moved without a contract extensionand choose his new home in the summer, perhaps even signing back inCarolina. Although many think that team he is waiting on at thedeadline is none other than the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Whitney might look pretty good patrolling Sidney Crosby's wing inthe playoffs. He certainly fits the bill of what the Penguins need - agoal-scoring winger with clutch qualities and Stanley Cup experience.

But sources say Pittsburgh has yet to inquire about Whitney and evenif the Penguins did, they are not likely to be able to offer up as muchas Los Angeles was prepared to give Carolina.

So suddenly what looked like a no-brainer - the Hurricanes tradingWhitney as a rental at the deadline for some future considerations -has taken on a much more convoluted look.

Whitney might well argue that he's only exercising his contractualright and that he's only interested in making one move - either a tradenow to a team he'll play for in the next two or three seasons or juststay put and make his move in the summer. Or maybe go as a rental atthe deadline to Pittsburgh, if that is indeed his preferred place toland.

The Canes may well argue that they're giving Whitney an opportunityto play in the playoffs and help Carolina's rebuilding process,especially if he as any interest in coming back and re-signing inCarolina in the summer. And if the Canes' return on a trade Whitney isprepared to accept - say Pittsburgh, for argument's sake - is far lessthan it would be for, say, a deal with Los Angeles, there's bound to besome hard feelings there.

So it's going to get interesting. It may even get tense, especiallyif other teams step up to the plate on Whitney only to find out they'regoing to have to provide an extension to get him to waive his NTC.

Whitney would, in a perfect world, like to use his NTC leverage toget a multi-year deal he thinks he's earned. Or at the very least, endup in precisely the spot he wants to be. The Canes, in a perfect world,would like to maximize their return on a rental player who couldconceivably come back to the fold in the summer.

But with how this process has started off, it's possible neither will end up with exactly what they want.

It should be interesting.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']And Bob McKenzie followed up with a whole lot more on Whitney:

It's going to get very interesting, and maybe even a little tense, on the Ray Whitney front in Carolina.

Yikes !

Yikes is right!  This is a good insight as to why players like NTC.

from Eklund

The Penguins have the current best offer on the table for
Ray Whitney
as we sit here tonight.

and

The Flames are talking to Carolina as well I was told. I asked my source, "
Ray Whitney
?"

"Think bigger deal, much bigger."

In reference to Ek, tsn is reporting the Pens haven't even contacted the Canes and have little to offer. Perhaps Ek is making stuff up or possibly the truth is a combo of both. It's rumored that's where Ray wants to go so maybe what they mean is that's the most realistic option?

In reference to Ek, tsn is reporting the Pens haven't even contacted the Canes and have little to offer. Perhaps Ek is making stuff up or possibly the truth is a combo of both. It's rumored that's where Ray wants to go so maybe what they mean is that's the most realistic option?
Well its Ek so who knows.  But a rumor is a rumor.  The Flames rumor or innuendo has my interest. I wonder what he thinks bigger means. Bigger name, more players ?

Very cool you getting the mention on spectors.