The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

cane-addict-1']In reference to Ek, tsn is reporting the Pens haven't even contacted the Canes and have little to offer. Perhaps Ek is making stuff up or possibly the truth is a combo of both. It's rumored that's where Ray wants to go so maybe what they mean is that's the most realistic option?

Well its Ek so who knows.  But a rumor is a rumor.  The Flames rumor or innuendo has my interest. I wonder what he thinks bigger means. Bigger name, more players ?

Very cool you getting the mention on spectors.

My gut feeling is that it might have something to do with Kovalchuk. Lots of teams want him but may not have the assets to get him. I'm thinking at least a 3-way trade, possibly more teams involved. Not saying we'll end up with Kovalchuk (most likely a young unproven player or multiple picks/prospects), but Whitney will serve as part of some combined package for someone to pick up Kovy.

Then again, it's Eklund, so it's probably all made up and means nothing....

hmm, getting very interesting out there. Does Calgary even have anything we want besides picks? Maybe they will just be on the receiving end of a deal we had some part of. It wouldn't surprise me if they were though, been very busy so far there.

I'm not an expert on Calgary but from what I remember they have horrible prospects and build their team by signing big names not from drafting them. My guess would be picks or roster players. But seeing how they've moved so many roster guys already I don't see that happening.

Could end up with some of the roster players they just got in previous deals. None of those guys are really all that desirable to me though. If anything, I'd think our compensation would come from the Atlanta end potentially, with maybe some picks or something thrown in from Calgary. Just don't really know at this point. All I know is that Calgary has a ton of forwards now and I'm not sure they have the roster space to keep everyone there.

Could end up with some of the roster players they just got in previous deals. None of those guys are really all that desirable to me though. If anything, I'd think our compensation would come from the Atlanta end potentially, with maybe some picks or something thrown in from Calgary. Just don't really know at this point. All I know is that Calgary has a ton of forwards now and I'm not sure they have the roster space to keep everyone there.
Hello from Calgary!

We don't have either a first or second round pick for this upcoming draft. We don't have a whole lot prospect wise, unless you guys are interested in the two potential NHL level defencemen we have. All we got is a mitt full of 2nd or 3rd line forwards. You would probably like Langkow a ton though...

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

cane-addict-1']In reference to Ek, tsn is reporting the Pens haven't even contacted the Canes and have little to offer. Perhaps Ek is making stuff up or possibly the truth is a combo of both. It's rumored that's where Ray wants to go so maybe what they mean is that's the most realistic option?

Well its Ek so who knows.  But a rumor is a rumor.  The Flames rumor or innuendo has my interest. I wonder what he thinks bigger means. Bigger name, more players ?

Bigger means Eric Staal

[quote name='clubspecial wrote:

OBXer wrote:

Bigger means Eric Staal

HAHA! Good one.. Plus, he was JUST named captain.. Not gonna happen

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

clubspecial wrote:

OBXer']Well its Ek so who knows.  But a rumor is a rumor.  The Flames rumor or innuendo has my interest. I wonder what he thinks bigger means. Bigger name, more players ?

Bigger means Eric Staal

HAHA! Good one.. Plus, he was JUST named captain.. Not gonna happen

I'm just in crazy trade mode, what with all the crazyness here in Calgary! frown.gif

[quote name='clubspecial wrote:

Stealth-ch1']Could end up with some of the roster players they just got in previous deals. None of those guys are really all that desirable to me though. If anything, I'd think our compensation would come from the Atlanta end potentially, with maybe some picks or something thrown in from Calgary. Just don't really know at this point. All I know is that Calgary has a ton of forwards now and I'm not sure they have the roster space to keep everyone there.

Hello from Calgary!

We don't have either a first or second round pick for this upcoming draft. We don't have a whole lot prospect wise, unless you guys are interested in the two potential NHL level defencemen we have. All we got is a mitt full of 2nd or 3rd line forwards. You would probably like Langkow a ton though...

Already thought about this. I have no idea what Calgary could reasonably offer for Whitney, as of 3rd and 4th line forwards, we got tons of'em as well. The only attractive option could be Mikael Backlund, but I doubt the flames would like to part with him as he seems to be the only really promising prospect within their system.

Concerning McKenzie:
One thing I don't see is why the Penguins wouldn't have as much to offer as the Kings, as Tangradi and Despres are both very interesting prospects we'd love to add. If they would like to part with one of'em and maybe add a 2nd rounder (something like that), we'd still get a pretty good package for a 37 years old rental player who may probably come back during summer.

[quote name='Portisfreak wrote:

clubspecial wrote:

Stealth-ch1']Could end up with some of the roster players they just got in previous deals. None of those guys are really all that desirable to me though. If anything, I'd think our compensation would come from the Atlanta end potentially, with maybe some picks or something thrown in from Calgary. Just don't really know at this point. All I know is that Calgary has a ton of forwards now and I'm not sure they have the roster space to keep everyone there.

Hello from Calgary!

Already thought about this. I have no idea what Calgary could reasonably offer for Whitney, as of 3rd and 4th line forwards, we got tons of'em as well. The only attractive option could be Mikael Backlund, but I doubt the flames would like to part with him as he seems to be the only really promising prospect within their system.

Concerning McKenzie:
One thing I don't see is why the Penguins wouldn't have as much to offer as the Kings, as Tangradi and Despres are both very interesting prospects we'd love to add. If they would like to part with one of'em and maybe add a 2nd rounder (something like that), we'd still get a pretty good package for a 37 years old rental player who may probably come back during summer.
Pens likely won't hang onto Whitney after the season is over, he'll be a pure rental and they don't want to give up Tangradi or Despres for a rental. 

Calgary has nothing that we would want. They are overloaded at wing right now, but none of those guys would really fit in here or what JR is looking for. Plus Calgary doesn't have their 1st or 2nd pick, which is the #1 thing JR wants for Whitney.

Puck Daddy weighs in, mostly with a regurgitation of what has already posted with a little of his opinion thrown in not much new so I won't waste space copying it but here it is:

Without a deal, Whitney may put kibosh on trades

Also, Canes country wrote about the Dangers of the NTC

There has been a lot of
around the league about what a great addition
would be to any team looking to help themselves down the playoffstretch.  The winger's name has been mentioned almost every day in avariety of possible scenarios.   

Yesterday, Bob McKenzie from TSN
that Whitney was almost traded to the
,but when he was approached for approval because of the "no tradeclause" built into his contract, he demanded a three year contractextension. 

"The Wizard" is known for his practical jokes, but no one was amusedwith his request.  Many thought the 37 year old would be reasonablewhen it came to doing what was best for the team, but if what McKenzieis reporting is true, then that obviously is not the case.   Andreally, why should it be?

Star-divide

Whitney is in the twilight of his career and is most likely lookingto exploit the situation.  One probably should not blame a player fordoing that because they only have so many years in which to make themillions that they make. 

But one might ask the question, why does he have the "No Trade Clause" to begin with?

It would seem that these types of clauses, which give players somuch control and literally tie the hands of general managers, would befew and far between.  But not so with the Hurricanes.

For instance
also has one, and has used it in the past when the Hurricanes tried totrade him previously.  It's been reported that the franchise would liketo try to trade him again right now, and there has been interest byother teams.  But why would he approve the deal?

Players who request "no trade clauses", probably want them becausethey do not want to move.  So it would also seem logical that once theyhave acquired that right, they would usually be unwilling to waive it,unless the perfect scenario presented itself.

That is probably the case with Whitney, as he might be looking forthe perfect scenario, one that would guarantee him a multimilliondollar salary until he's 40 years old. 

In the meantime, Jim Rutherford's kindness,  (or short-sightedness),could end up costing the Hurricanes the best possible prospects becauseWhitney is not going to make his decision based upon what is best forthe
, he's going to make a decision which best benefits Ray Whitney.

While rumored acquisition target
would be exactly what the doctor ordered to bolster the organization'sdefensive depth, the Hurricanes might end up with a lower ratedprospect because a player has the final say on a trade, and not thegeneral manager. 

Hence the danger of the dreaded "no trade clause".

Also, Canes country wrote about the Dangers of the NTC

...Whitney is not going to make his decision based upon what is best for the
, he's going to make a decision which best benefits Ray Whitney.

And why wouldn't he make the best deal for Ray Whitney?  He has the upper hand and he better use that hand when he has it.  Any one of us would do the same thing.  He negotiated for the NTC and it's just like the money that he negotiated for.

I agree Whitney should do what's best for Whitney.  Also, I'm not sold totally on McKenzie's 'report' that Whitney asked LA for a 3 year deal.  And if he did, he did it because he knew they'd never grant it.  I firmly believe Whitney wants to stay in Carolina, even if that means re-signing here in the summer after being traded as a rental for a few months.  And if that's the case, I am sure JR knows it and can't expect a huge return for what assuredly will be just a classic rental.  I don't think for a second that Whitney and JR have not discussed this.

I agree Whitney should do what's best for Whitney.  Also, I'm not sold totally on McKenzie's 'report' that Whitney asked LA for a 3 year deal.  And if he did, he did it because he knew they'd never grant it.  I firmly believe Whitney wants to stay in Carolina, even if that means re-signing here in the summer after being traded as a rental for a few months.  And if that's the case, I am sure JR knows it and can't expect a huge return for what assuredly will be just a classic rental.  I don't think for a second that Whitney and JR have not discussed this.
In my opinion, McKenzie is one of the few true "in the know" bloggers out there.  He has mucho credibility.  I don't doubt it's true but I think the other statement he made regarding Whitney posturing to get what he wants and is trying to raise the price could be a big factor.  It could be his way of saying "Nope ain't going to CA" without being the bad guy. He made them want to break up with him first instead. wink.gif

As far as Whitney doing what's best for him - of course he is going to look out for himself first but it is not always only about money.  I really don't see Whitney as that type of player (ahem Kovalchuk).   I think he has other factors he will consider with any move - ie family etc.   Another posssible consideration is IF he truly wants to retire a Cane like he has said and wants an opportunity to resign here, than there is still something in it for him to help the team get the highest return while still has veto power over any movement.  Just a thought.

Regarding not getting a huge return for him:  it depends on what you consider a huge return.  I think a first rounder is huge as well as a prospect and a lower pick.  That is an excellent return and not unheard of.  If there really is as much interest in Whitney from multiple teams as we keep hearing, I think it is feasible we could get that type of a return if those teams are serious and not just kicking the can.

I think that Whitney was saying if he went to LA, he wanted a 3 year contract extension in Raleigh when he returned.

I think that Whitney was saying if he went to LA, he wanted a 3 year contract extension in Raleigh when he returned.

Uh....no. That's not what was said at all....those types of deals can't be negotiated.

And hopefully Rutherford has learned his lesson about handing out NTCs. He's been burned at least 3 times by that stupid contract addendum. He HAS to stop giving those out like Halloween candy!

And hopefully Rutherford has learned his lesson about handing out NTCs. He's been burned at least 3 times by that stupid contract addendum. He HAS to stop giving those out like Halloween candy!

We have this arguement every season.  If you will look at this webpage http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm you will see that we are not out of line with what the rest of the league does.  It's just another bargaining chip for both sides in negotiations.  Is it so strange that a player would want some control over where he plays?  A player may sign a free agent contract in a market like Raleigh because he doesn't want to be in a city like NY, Chicago, or LA.  The only protection he has is bargaining for a NTC.

How would you like your boss to tell you tomorrow morning to pack up and report for work in Buffalo on Monday morning?

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

canesareable']

Uh....no. That's not what was said at all....those types of deals can't be negotiated.

He's given one to Staal, and it kicks in this coming July 1st.

Corvo has been activated off IR and Ruutu put on IR.

As far as Whitney and Wallin, its just a matter of time as to when a team is willing to pay the price JR is asking for these solid veterans.

I don't see any player being traded for other players unless they are prospects or added to a draft pick.  My opinion, Pitkanen would drive maybe a 2nd  round draft or a 2nd and a prospect to some team that is hungry, especially with another year left on his contract.  Maybe JR is holding out on a first and just driving interest among the other GMs.   They will not trade Whitney for anything less than a draft pick.

The Canes are not looking to bring on other people for these guys (Corvo, Pitkanen, Whitney, Cullen) but looking for draft picks in a strong overall draft in 2010.  The Canes are going young and cheap the next couple of years.  Especially cheap with revenues being so low.    Bring up some rats and get a couple of free agents.   I never thought I would see Pitkanen traded so early but if someone offers a #1 draft pick for him or a high #2 with a possible added prospect, pack his bags.     You save $3M and get a young guy.

Was talking to my buddy out in SJ who is a smart hockey guy and told him I would trade Corvo for a 2nd rounder and he said,  "call JR and get the papers ready."     Guys, we are selling assets and not looking to make a trade to get more assets.  It is about dumping and running.

Caniac247 wrote:  "So are you ready to roll with Gleason, Carson, Rodney, and Alberts as our Top 4 next year? And that makes us better how. Trading Pitkanen for picks/prospects now is not making this team better. That's why I say go with him into next season and see where we are at. Talk to his agent this time next year and see what his asking price is. Going into next year with the defense I listed above is suicidal. I'm willing to be cellar dwellers this year, but this org can't take another 1-2 years at the bottom.

And as far as saving money, JR should have thought about that before he overpaid guys named Walker, Samsonov, Cole, LaRose, and the list goes on. Pitkanen is actually WORTH his price and it will be a darn shame to trade him to save some money because you screwed up and and can't get rid of these guys who are in fact overpaid.

ETA: I'm not sure how long you have been following the team, but this franchise (Canes) has needed a defensemen like Pitkanen since they were born in 1997. The likes of Pitkanen don't come around very often, that's why there are tons of teams right now trying to get their hands on him. They come once in a blue moon and trying to find someone to replace him is going to be very hard."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a little late on the response here but.....

Wow,  lets see how long I have followed the team.   STH since 2000, and followed the team since they move to NC.  Been a hockey fan well before that.    I agree Pitkanen is what JR has looked for and worked hard to get him.  I go back to the pre-Ozolish days of JR searching for the mobile D man he wants so you questioning my "time supporting the team" is laughable.    I would not have thought of trading Pik until I hear teams want him and the one thing I have learned about JR in the last 10plus years is HE WILL trade a player.  It is a deep draft this coming year and I still say JR is looking to stock up on picks.

For you comment on overpaying and money.  Sorry bud but it is about salary cap and what done is done.  Complain all you want about those guys but no one is listening ......heard it all before and heard it all before about players you may never had heard of that played here.   

Again, I would love for Pik to stay but if JR gets something for him and any combo and gets soemthing like the Boston/Toronto #1 pick, (which I doubt but you never know) and he picks up Cam Fowler in the draft, we will see how attached JR is to Pik and his choice for a mobile D-man.

JR will not get that deal but one can wish.    

Again, I support Pik being here next year but I will believe it on March 4th.

While watching the replay of the Preds/Yotes game from last night on NHL Network I saw a post on the bottom feeder by JR saying "he thought all the major trades would be done before the break."  Hopefully he won't keep us waiting much longer. 

While watching the replay of the Preds/Yotes game from last night on NHL Network I saw a post on the bottom feeder by JR saying "he thought all the major trades would be done before the break."  Hopefully he won't keep us waiting much longer. 

I'd keep my eyes on Feb 14th.

More talk and talk and talk.  From the Sportingnews.com.  Good news that Dancing Granny has been added to the untouchable list!  laugh.gif

Sound the sirens; the trade watch in on for Carolina

Looking for the next team to go into sell mode? That likelyis the Hurricanes, who are suffering through a rotten season and could begin sheddingfree-agents-to-be faster than you can pull pork.

Ray Whitney is the team's poster boy for trade rumors, buthe's far from along on the for-sale list. How about forwards Matt Cullen, ScottWalker, Stephane Yelle and former captain Rod Brind'Amour?

Looking for defensemen? GM Jim Rutherford could be willingto part with
2_bing.gif
Aaron Ward
and Niclas Wallin.

There are tangible benefits for suitors, including guys whohave Stanley Cup rings. Never underestimate the pull of Cups won on GM'sdesires.

Count the Bruins among potential buyers, especially forWard, who likely
, according to NESN.com.

No-trade clauses likely won't be a factor for Hurricanes tohave them.

Here's another name to toss into the grinder: Joni Pitkanen.We figure the Hurricanes would have to be blown away to peddle Pitkanen. Butgiven his numbers, including the ability to play 27 minutes a game, teamsdesperate for a top-four defenseman could be licking their chops before theMarch 3 trade deadline. Pitkanen is 26 and has another season on his ratherpricey contract, at $4.5 million.

Depending on how the Hurricanes play this week, beginningWednesday in Calgary, the elders in the Carolina locker roomcould pack up sooner rather than later. The team's current trip already is goingbadly, with the 'Canes being the patsy as the Oilers ended their 13-game losingstreak.

The Hurricanes have fumbled their way to a likely top-fivepick in the 2010 draft, and they could parlay their expendables into more picksin what is expected to be a deep draft. They probably would have to eat salaryin any deal, but as the luster fades from that 2006
2_bing.gif
victorymanagement would be wise to send everyone over 30 -- except Dancing Granny --to teams making a decent offer.

JR would be preety dag on stupid to move Pitkanen for anything, good for other teams needing top 4 d-men. So do we if we intend to do anything next year. I think Pitkanen makes Corvo expendable but even he when healthy is quite the keeper.