The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

I would talk to Ray and ask what his preference is and then get the best deal for the Canes as my top priority while TRYING to accomodate him.  If that means losing Ray because he wants a long term deal, then I'd role the dice while building on youth.

I think this was all built up because he doesn't prefer LA, so 3 years is Ray's asking price.  Can't blame him.

JR would be preety dag on stupid to move Pitkanen for anything, good for other teams needing top 4 d-men. So do we if we intend to do anything next year. I think Pitkanen makes Corvo expendable but even he when healthy is quite the keeper.

I guess it would depend on the deal. I don't underestimate Pitkanen's talent or value to the team. however If the deal was good enough you make the trade. We also don't know what JR has in mind as he puts this team together for next year. I really don't see us trading both Pit and Corvo but we could.

[quote name=coastal_caniac]

Does anybody really want AWard?

Defenseman Matt Hunwick and forward Steve Begin were absent from practice this morning for the Bruins, though coach Julien said it was for maintenance reasons.   just saying..

[quote name='TSA wrote:

coastal_caniac
']

Defenseman Matt Hunwick and forward Steve Begin were absent from practice this morning for the Bruins, though coach Julien said it was for maintenance reasons.   just saying..I'd take Hunwick for Ward, wouldn't happen but i'd take it. Begin however he can stay lol

Wow, it just kinda hit me how long Wallin has been here and how much he has done for this franchise. If this San Jose thing is true, I hope he has an awesome time over there.

I have been wondering about the Whitney no-trade clause. Clearly it gives Whitney a lot of leverage, but it doesn't mean he will be able to get outlandish demands. As others have mentioned that 3 year demand may be Whitney's way of vetoing a move to LA. It also may have been a way of testing the market. You never know unless you ask. If it becomes apparent that a three year deal is not happening, then maybe he tries for two. If he waits it out too long and misses the trade deadline, he gets no deal. He becomes a soon to be 38 year old free agent with no contract. Further, he could get injured between then and the end of the year decreasing his value.

I have no problem with Whitney looking out for Whitney to some extent, but at some point it would actually hurt Whitney if his demands result in no deal. I suspect a deal will get done for Whitney. There is just too much interest out there, and as the deadline approaches there will be a lot of pressure for a cup hopeful to add a prize like Whitney. And as the deadline approaches Whitney will be able to get some kind of contract, maybe 2 years.

Wow, it just kinda hit me how long Wallin has been here and how much he has done for this franchise. If this San Jose thing is true, I hope he has an awesome time over there.
Well, if you are going to take one more run at the cup before going home to Sweden, SJ is a heck of a good choice.  And it isn't such a bad place to live for 5 months or so.

You'd be surprised (I was).  Had lunch with a friend from Boston today, and he said they'd take A. Ward back anytime.  He obviously hasn't seen him play this year.  I suggested they get the band back, and we'd offer Samsonov, Yelle, and A.Ward in any deal.

Trade Rod? YGTBSM!!! That would be the most classless move ever by a GM!
It's a business and I disagree with it being classless.  Maybe Roddy would benefit from a change of scenery.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

AWACSooner']Trade Rod? YGTBSM!!! That would be the most classless move ever by a GM!

It's a business and I disagree with it being classless.  Maybe Roddy would benefit from a change of scenery.

I disagree.  The relinquishing of the "C" aside, you don't go and even hint of moving the heart and soul of your Cup team and a guy who has paid his dues to the organization with his blood, sweat and tears for the last decade unless he wants the change.  I think, if Rod does get traded (unwillingly), that it would be the sleaziest move ever by a GM in the NHL.

[quote name='AWACSooner wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

AWACSooner']Trade Rod? YGTBSM!!! That would be the most classless move ever by a GM!

I disagree.  The relinquishing of the "C" aside, you don't go and even hint of moving the heart and soul of your Cup team and a guy who has paid his dues to the organization with his blood, sweat and tears for the last decade unless he wants the change.  I think, if Rod does get traded (unwillingly), that it would be the sleaziest move ever by a GM in the NHL.

Well, I think if Brindy gets a shot to play for a playoff team one more time he would jump at the chance.  As difficult as it is going to be I think we will see many of our favorites heading away soon.

[quote name='AWACSooner wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

Would you still feel the same way if Brindy was hell bent on playing out his contract through next year?