The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='Caniac-Ironman wrote:

caniac-97']by my calcs (and nhlnumbers) Barker is due $3.1mil, Skille $.8mil, and Ebbett $.5mil.

Best part of the deal is Barker is locked up for two more years and then a RFA.  Sutter has proven he is capable of taking over for Cullen.  It works out to be a good deal for the often emotionally fragile Corvo who would be going to play in his hometown and probably won't sign here next year anyway.  IMO he has really gone downhill with his play this year which is not exactly worth $3mil plus.  Really would hate to see Cullen go and besides did Cullen ever turnout to be the missing link for for fixing our pp woes when JR traded to get him back? NO our pp is still awful.

I agree with most of what is said, especially since we have Sutter playing well.  I think the injury to Cullen is what messed things up a little after getting him back from NY though he appears over it now.  I would tend to do this trade if available (and I say that even though I have a Cullen sweater).

[quote name='

Ghouliegirl']I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

"Rumored deal between Carolina and Chicago(Rutherford is getting eager to make a move)...

to Hawks...Matt Cullen and Joe Corvo

to Canes...Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Andrew Ebbett"

I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure what motivationChicago would have to do this trade.  They are closer to the salary capthan we are and probably don't have room to take on Cullen and Corvo'scontract.  They are going to have HUGE salary cap issues next year, andI can see them trading Barker in the off-season, or maybe later in theyear for a rental, but not now, and not for more of a cap hit.

Theyseem to have pretty much given up on Skille.  Former 1st round draftpick that JR gives a second life to seem to be our bread and buttertrade move, so I could definitely see this happening.

Ebbett I could care less about.  We have enough 4th line players on our team already.

Had this posted somewhere else but thought I'd just throw it in the mix here...nothing in the media about this deal getting done, but I'd love to see it happen. 

With the rumors surrounding Cullen and the 'Hawks and the way Whit Sutter Cole are playing together, I'd try to package a deal surrounding Cullen (prospects, another player, etc) to grab Patrick Sharp...27 y/o from Thunder Bay, 44 pts in 62 games last year, plays center and wing.  Supposedly pretty streaky but that's just fine.

Sharp Staal Ruutu

Whit Sutter Cole

LaRose Jussi Brindy/Walks

Kosto Yelle Brindy/Walks

That's a solid top 2 lines. 

Had this posted somewhere else but thought I'd just throw it in the mix here...nothing in the media about this deal getting done, but I'd love to see it happen. 

With the rumors surrounding Cullen and the 'Hawks and the way Whit Sutter Cole are playing together, I'd try to package a deal surrounding Cullen (prospects, another player, etc) to grab Patrick Sharp...27 y/o from Thunder Bay, 44 pts in 62 games last year, plays center and wing.  Supposedly pretty streaky but that's just fine.

Sharp Staal Ruutu

Whit Sutter Cole

LaRose Jussi Brindy/Walks

Kosto Yelle Brindy/Walks

That's a solid top 2 lines. 

Interesting idea but lets keep this thread to just media rumors. 

I like the idea of moving Cullen and Corvo for Barker et al. We likely won't re-sign Corvo and Sutter has made the center position over-crowded.

I suspect JR won't pull the trigger on a deal like this until Staal is back, however. That would allow the centers to be Staal - Sutter - Brindy/Juice - Yelle. Moving one of our centers before Staal is back is reckless.

I was watching the Montreal vs. Blue Jackets game last night,and Pierre Magwire( possible spelling error) was a between period guests. When asked about possible trades, he said he spoke with a GM of a southern team that was working on a big deal. He didn't name names, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was talking about JR.

[quote name='MarkyMarkNC wrote:

Ghouliegirl']I saw this on the Hawks message board. I do not know their source, so it would be interesting to see what if anything happens. From what I read of all three posts about this, they seem interested. It would give us younger players.

"Rumored deal between Carolina and Chicago(Rutherford is getting eager to make a move)...

to Hawks...Matt Cullen and Joe Corvo

to Canes...Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Andrew Ebbett"

I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure what motivation Chicago would have to do this trade.  They are closer to the salary cap than we are and probably don't have room to take on Cullen and Corvo's contract.  They are going to have HUGE salary cap issues next year, and I can see them trading Barker in the off-season, or maybe later in the year for a rental, but not now, and not for more of a cap hit.

They seem to have pretty much given up on Skille.  Former 1st round draft pick that JR gives a second life to seem to be our bread and butter trade move, so I could definitely see this happening.

Ebbett I could care less about.  We have enough 4th line players on our team already.

Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, that's Chicago's motivation. All 3 guys need a contract come July 1st and all 3 guys are getting paid. Rumor has it that all three have an extension in place. Chicago is actually in a bit of a jam. They have to move someone big in order to fit these 3 under the cap, otherwise, Barker would not even be thought of in a trade. They trade Barker who is signed through next year and who will likely see another pay increase when this contract expires. They get 2 guys who come off the books on July 1st, allowing them cap room to sign Keith, Toews and Kane. 

The likely scenerio would be:

To Chicago:

Matt Cullen

Joe Corvo

To Carolina:

Cam Barker

Brent Sopel

pick

Chicago will likely want to get rid of Sopel. He has negative trade value, but you are getting a 23 year old defensemen who has already established himself as a consistant NHLer who can put up the points. JR will want a pick if he has to take on Sopel. We don't want or need Sopel, but if taking him gets you Barker, you do it.

I was watching the Montreal vs. Blue Jackets game last night,and Pierre Magwire( possible spelling error) was a between period guests. When asked about possible trades, he said he spoke with a GM of a southern team that was working on a big deal. He didn't name names, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was talking about JR.
Pierre was between the benches announcing for the Toronto game last week.  He very well likely bumped into and talked with JR.

I'm not in the media, so I have no idea how much would be said, i.e. if JR would say, "Hey PM, this is strictly off the record.  Our season is all but over.  Karmonos wants me to dump salary and get away from this cap.  We're going to go into rebuild unless we win the next 9 out of 10.  So, I'm throwing out feelers for some pretty significant deals.  Watch for it soon if you don't see the Cane's improve."

Does that really happen?  Or does PM just get hearsay?  Or does PM ask JR, "rumor has it you are working a big deal, are you?"  And JR says, "this is off the record, but I'm not ruling anything out right now."  And PM then runs with it?

[quote name='wxray1 wrote:

caniac6']I was watching the Montreal vs. Blue Jackets game last night,and Pierre Magwire( possible spelling error) was a between period guests. When asked about possible trades, he said he spoke with a GM of a southern team that was working on a big deal. He didn't name names, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was talking about JR.

Pierre was between the benches announcing for the Toronto game last week.  He very well likely bumped into and talked with JR.

I'm not in the media, so I have no idea how much would be said, i.e. if JR would say, "Hey PM, this is strictly off the record.  Our season is all but over.  Karmonos wants me to dump salary and get away from this cap.  We're going to go into rebuild unless we win the next 9 out of 10.  So, I'm throwing out feelers for some pretty significant deals.  Watch for it soon if you don't see the Cane's improve."

Does that really happen?  Or does PM just get hearsay?  Or does PM ask JR, "rumor has it you are working a big deal, are you?"  And JR says, "this is off the record, but I'm not ruling anything out right now."  And PM then runs with it?

yeah, i heard about this too...

Eklund garbage, here's the link: www.hockeybuzz.com

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

MarkyMarkNC']

I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure what motivation Chicago would have to do this trade.  They are closer to the salary cap than we are and probably don't have room to take on Cullen and Corvo's contract.  They are going to have HUGE salary cap issues next year, and I can see them trading Barker in the off-season, or maybe later in the year for a rental, but not now, and not for more of a cap hit.

They seem to have pretty much given up on Skille.  Former 1st round draft pick that JR gives a second life to seem to be our bread and butter trade move, so I could definitely see this happening.

Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, that's Chicago's motivation. All 3 guys need a contract come July 1st and all 3 guys are getting paid. Rumor has it that all three have an extension in place. Chicago is actually in a bit of a jam. They have to move someone big in order to fit these 3 under the cap, otherwise, Barker would not even be thought of in a trade. They trade Barker who is signed through next year and who will likely see another pay increase when this contract expires. They get 2 guys who come off the books on July 1st, allowing them cap room to sign Keith, Toews and Kane. 

To Chicago:

Matt Cullen

Joe Corvo

To Carolina:

Cam Barker

Brent Sopel

pick

Chicago will likely want to get rid of Sopel. He has negative trade value, but you are getting a 23 year old defensemen who has already established himself as a consistant NHLer who can put up the points. JR will want a pick if he has to take on Sopel. We don't want or need Sopel, but if taking him gets you Barker, you do it.

Sopel is 33 not 23.  he does have the best mullet in the NHL though.laugh.gif

This would be a doable trade depending on the draft pick, but it doesn't strike me as the kind of trade JR typically makes.

[quote name='MarkyMarkNC wrote:

caniac247 wrote:

MarkyMarkNC']

I would do this in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure what motivation Chicago would have to do this trade.
  They are closer to the salary cap than we are and probably don't have room to take on Cullen and Corvo's contract.  They are going to have HUGE salary cap issues next year, and I can see them trading Barker in the off-season, or maybe later in the year for a rental, but not now, and not for more of a cap hit.

To Chicago:

Matt Cullen

Joe Corvo

To Carolina:

Cam Barker

Brent Sopel

pick

Sopel is 33 not 23.  he does have the best mullet in the NHL though.laugh.gif

This would be a doable trade depending on the draft pick, but it doesn't strike me as the kind of trade JR typically makes.

247 was referring to getting Barker, 23. 

Hey everybody, Flames fan here. There's been a lot of talk amongst fans here in Calgary about a top-line left winger to play with Olli Jokinen and Jarome Iginla, and a name that seems to be coming up quite a bit is Ray Whitney. Right now the Flames need somebody with some decent playmaking ability to play on that line because it's basically a revolving door of 3rd liners at the time being and Olli Jokinen seems to be struggling now that he's been forced into the role of playmaker for Iginla. What do Canes fans think of a trade involving Ray Whitney and Cory Sarich? Sarich is currently playing on the bottom pairing and taking PK time for the Flames, not because he isn't a good defenseman but because of where he falls on the Flames' depth chart. When you have Phaneuf, Regehr, and Bouwmeester as your top 3 it makes it hard to climb that chart, as you might expect.

Sarich is a solid stay-at-home D with an extremely tough physical game who is probably a 2nd pairing guy on most teams, or maybe even 1st pairing in the right environment. Does he meet the needs of the Hurricanes going into the future? Does Whitney even factor into the Canes long-term plans after this season? Ray would be a great rental player for a Flames playoff run and Sarich is a great defenseman on a very reasonable contract and is an absolute warrior and playoff performer, with a Stanley Cup ring to show for it. He would do really well in an environment like Carolina, I think. Maybe throw in a 3rd rounder or a farm player on the Flames' end? What do you think?

Looking at the salaries for the Carolina Hurricanes, here is a list of players (Age in Parenthesis) who are UFA for 2010-11 and my thoughts:

Ray Whitney- (37) Should we keep or trade to get younger?

Matt Cullen-  (32) IMO we should keep him and work on getting him signed for another 2 seasons.

Scott Walker- (35) Love his grittiness, but we need to get younger.

Stephane Yelle- (35) Trade for draft picks.

Michael Ryan- (29)

Joe Corvo- (32) Should we keep him or trade to get younger. Has some value on the trade market.

Aaron Ward- (36) BYE BYE!

Niclas Wallin- (34) No trade clause.

Tim Conboy- (27)

Jay Harrison- (26)

Michael Leighton- (28) Should we keep him as a backup?

Manny Legacy- (36) Same as above.

Bryan Rodney is a UFA VI- (25) Sign him.

Looking at the salaries for the Carolina Hurricanes, here is a list of players (Age in Parenthesis) who are UFA for 2010-11 and my thoughts:

Ray Whitney- (37) Should we keep or trade to get younger?  Get Younger!

Matt Cullen-  (32) IMO we should keep him and work on getting him signed for another 2 seasons. Keep

Scott Walker- (35) Love his grittiness, but we need to get younger. Get Younger!

Stephane Yelle- (35) Trade for draft picks. Trade for a box of doughnuts!

Michael Ryan- (29)  -Keep

Joe Corvo- (32) Should we keep him or trade to get younger. Has some value on the trade market. Get what we can!

Aaron Ward- (36) BYE BYE! I only want Sammy off the team more than A. Ward!

Niclas Wallin- (34) No trade clause. Keep, but not for long!

Tim Conboy- (27) Keep

Jay Harrison- (26) Let go

Michael Leighton- (28) Should we keep him as a backup? I like Manny way more.

Manny Legacy- (36) Same as above.

Bryan Rodney is a UFA VI- (25) Sign him. Yes, please keep.  He has skills.

I want Matt Cullen traded out of guilt. He has shown the most heart this season, he's gonna be a UFA at the end of the year, let him play for a competitive team for the rest of the year while we get some value back for him.

On a team with decent speed Matt would probably be having his best season yet.

I want Matt Cullen traded out of guilt. He has shown the most heart this season, he's gonna be a UFA at the end of the year, let him play for a competitive team for the rest of the year while we get some value back for him.

Matt Cullen will be gone as soon as the best package comes in for him, preferably a 2nd round draft pick or a young mid-upper level prospect. As will, likely, Ray Whitney and Joe Corvo. That's just to start. Rutherford will probably move just about anyone.. except who the hell wants Brind'Amour, Samsonov, LaRose or Pitkanen right now? Only untouchables right now are Staal, Ruutu, Sutter, Gleason and Cam.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rampant-RumorEric-Staal-to-Oilers--Who-Could-Be-Headed-Back/1/24599

I know this is unlikely but who do you guys think we could get in return?

Highly unlikely since JR said at the beginning of the season that Staal and Ward were the two players he would build this team around.

That, and its Eklund smile.gif

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rampant-RumorEric-Staal-to-Oilers--Who-Could-Be-Headed-Back/1/24599

I know this is unlikely but who do you guys think we could get in return?

That site must be joking. Not only is Staal an untouchable type player, but he would command way more than that, I would think. Something like 2 first-rounders, a solid center in the NHL now plus a prospect.

Well, there is that - and the Oilers main guy, Ales Hemsky just had shoulder surgery and will miss the remainder of the year.
Obviously the trade history between Carolina and Edmonton figured into this wishful thinking.  Based on the last two games,
in particular, I would expect JR to make a move just to make a point.  It would cause some conversation in the locker room.

[quote name='J94Whalers wrote:

goeb']I want Matt Cullen traded out of guilt. He has shown the most heart this season, he's gonna be a UFA at the end of the year, let him play for a competitive team for the rest of the year while we get some value back for him.

Matt Cullen will be gone as soon as the best package comes in for him, preferably a 2nd round draft pick or a young mid-upper level prospect. As will, likely, Ray Whitney and Joe Corvo. That's just to start. Rutherford will probably move just about anyone.. except who the hell wants Brind'Amour, Samsonov, LaRose or Pitkanen right now? Only untouchables right now are Staal, Ruutu, Sutter, Gleason and Cam.

You can't be serious.  Pitkanen?  When he's in there, we can actually get the puck out of the zone.  When he's not in there, we collapse.  He's one of the bright spots.