The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

ducks fan here

what would rutherford seek for pitkanen

we have two first rounders, and deep in d prospects

After last night...a bag of chips, heavy padding, and face guards for all of the players (In case he flys in the bench)  

Hm, wondering what happened with that Wallin trade, and also still trying to guess what it is the sharks could offer in return. A pick? Ryan Clowe?^^

Hmmm...

Probably just a 3rd round draft pick.

As for Ryan Clowe....NO THANKS. Erik Cole part II. He's got 3 more years of contract and 3.5, 3.5, and 4 million per. He's NEVER played a full NHL season due to injuries. His best season was 71 games and 22 goals. We've got too many of THESE type guys already....no way in HADES does Rutherford trade for this guy.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

AWACSooner']Trade Rod? YGTBSM!!! That would be the most classless move ever by a GM!

It's a business and I disagree with it being classless.  Maybe Roddy would benefit from a change of scenery.

While doubt anyone would take brindy and his overbloated contract, to ay 'classless" silly.. the greatest player in franchise history was traded not Once, but Twice- first  to the penquins and then toronto his last year., after he lead the team to the cup finals the year before. its a business and no one said trading francis was classess, why would it be for brindy?

To an extent, yes. If he doesn't want to go, you don't just throw him out the door...
So I take it you would be okay with Brindy lacing them up next year for the Canes?  Another year older.  Another year slower.

GMs have to make these decisions with their head and not their hearts.  I can't see a team trading for Brindy anyway with another year left on his deal.

Hm, wondering what happened with that Wallin trade, and also still trying to guess what it is the sharks could offer in return. A pick? Ryan Clowe?^^

Hmmm...

From Spectors today:

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS:David Pollak reports Sharks GM Doug Wilson will be travelling with hisclub on its current road trip checking out the NHL trade market. Wilsonwould discuss specific players or needs but didn't hide the fact he'dlike to take a first hand look at players he might acquire as well asprospects he might have to send the other way. The Sharks will visitSt. Louis, Nashville, Toronto, Columbus, Detroit and Buffalo. Prior toinjuries to Sharks blueliners Dan Boyle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic it wasspeculated they might seek blueline depth and it's been reportedCarolina Hurricanes defenseman Niclas Wallin might be headed to SanJose.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to GJ Berg. No further update onlast night's report Wallin was about to be moved to the Sharks, butthis isn't the first time a reported impending trade was held up a dayor two before going through. Hopefully we'll have more info latertoday. As for what other players Wilson might be scouting, the Blues,Leafs and Blue Jackets could be considered "sellers" at this point.

Spectors 2-4-10

I thought Forslund's post game comments this morning on 650 were interesting.  He said Wallin is most likely getting a contract extension to waive his NTC for the trade.  I guess I wasn't expecting it but good for him if it happens.  Forslund said to expect it to be finalized and announced today.

WRAL reported that Forslund was on the morning radio show with 99.9 and reported that he expects Wallin to waive his no-trade clause this morning to finalize the deal with San Jose.

Very mixed feelings on this one. It's great that Wallin will get a chance to put his name on the cup but knowing that he has always expressed a desire to be a Hurricane and go nowhere else makes it bittersweet.

Very few pro athletes play their entire career for one team these days and more often than not will bounce around from team to team looking for the bigger payday. Wallin is definitely part of a dying breed where they honestly play *for* the sweater they wear rather than play *in* it.

I'm hoping no matter what happens, a scouting job in his part of the world with the 'Canes is waiting for him in retirement if he wants it.

L

WRAL reported that Forslund was on the morning radio show with 99.9 and reported that he expects Wallin to waive his no-trade clause this morning to finalize the deal with San Jose.

Very mixed feelings on this one. It's great that Wallin will get a chance to put his name on the cup but knowing that he has always expressed a desire to be a Hurricane and go nowhere else makes it bittersweet.

Very few pro athletes play their entire career for one team these days and more often than not will bounce around from team to team looking for the bigger payday. Wallin is definitely part of a dying breed where they honestly play *for* the sweater they wear rather than play *in* it.

I'm hoping no matter what happens, a scouting job in his part of the world with the 'Canes is waiting for him in retirement if he wants it.

L

Did you listen to John?  It' doesn't sound like Wallin is going back to Sweden just yet.  We may still see him in a Shark's uniform next year.

"This guy has gone from a player that thought this would be his last year over here in North America, he'd go back to Sweden after this year - to a guy that an elite team thinks he can be their 5-6 defensemen not only for the run this season but to give him an extension and I think he's going to get that contract extension that he wants, that's the reason he'll waive his NTC and I think we will see all this go down today"

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

AWACSooner']To an extent, yes. If he doesn't want to go, you don't just throw him out the door...

So I take it you would be okay with Brindy lacing them up next year for the Canes?  Another year older.  Another year slower.

GMs have to make these decisions with their head and not their hearts.  I can't see a team trading for Brindy anyway with another year left on his deal.

Let me put this in perspective by bringing up another aging veteran from my area of the country: Mike Modano.  He had two crappy years in a row in the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 seasons...and the fan base was getting antsy and wanting him to hang it up.  He, just like Rod, is turning 40 this year...has a Cup to this resume and has nothing left to prove (i.e. a first-round lock in Toronto).  But he decided that he was gonna come back this season...a lot of the Stars fan base groaned.  What happens?  He comes out and has his best season in the past 6 years.

Franchise is a bit of a different story...he wanted to be traded at the end.  I'm not seeing any indications right now that Rod wants to be traded at all (although, given his past pattern of keeping quiet, none of us know for sure except him), and I wouldn't be upset if he does get traded.  What would upset me is if he's traded unwillingly just to free up cap space.  It's no secret that he's never been the same since Laraque hit him and he tore his ACL, but (pure conjecture here), what if he decides to come back next year and pulls a Modano? 

I just think that, for all that he's done for this franchise, this trade rumor situation needs to be handled properly...and JR has been kinda hit and miss in that department.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you are expecting anyone here to change their mind about Rod because of Mike Modano, who buy the way has not had stats nearly as poor as Rod's despite his slow down, it isn't going to happen.

With all due respect to what Rod has done for this team andthe market, sports is a "what have you done for me lately"business.  For Rod, the answer to that is not only nothing but he has beenhurting the team for two years now.  I am a big fan of Rod's and I thinkthey have given him respect and they have been more than patient with him ingiving him time to turn it around.  With Rod's 5 goals, 13 points andleague bottom -25 he is not coming anywhere near providing this team with areturn on their 3 million investment this year or 4 million last year nor do Idoubt he will next year.  That is the reason you won't see a tradeinvolving Brind'Amour, not because it is a classless thing to do.  It'salmost pointless to discuss it.

People are going to talk, speculate, and even make stuff up around this time of year.  There  is nothing the org can do about it and I'm not sure they care, why should they?   They have more important things to worry about like taking care of business.

I thought Forslund's post game comments this morning on 650 were interesting.  He said Wallin is most likely getting a contract extension to waive his NTC for the trade.  I guess I wasn't expecting it but good for him if it happens.  Forslund said to expect it to be finalized and announced today.

It is interesting about these NTC's. It would seem that the player does get a lot of leverage with these, but it also seems that players really do want to have some say about their movement as much or more than the money. A couple of years ago, Wallin had a couple of years left on his contract and was not playing all that well, his position was "keep me, or I'll just go home". Now, with Wallin playing better and his contract about to expire, things are looking a bit different. A new contract is looking pretty tasty.

As for who we get back in that trade, I would think it would have to be a pick/prospect. Just can't see JR taking on salary in this move.

ducks fan here

I may the only one to say this, but you can't have him.  tongue.gif

He's been great for us.  You can have Aaron Ward though.  I think we need some pucks and sticks.  roll.gif

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

Fluffer']ducks fan here

I may the only one to say this, but you can't have him.  tongue.gif

He's been great for us.  You can have Aaron Ward though.  I think we need some pucks and sticks.  roll.gif

Or even "future consideration" of pucks and sticks to be named later.

This whole notion of Brind"Amour coming back next year is just someone's pipe dream.  The Mike Modano comparison is out there too.  As far as the NTC's, it most certainly gives an aging player leverage.  If Nic is moved to a Cup contender, good for him.  If he can squeeze out another contract, even better for him.  I can't imagine we would get anything in return but a prospect or a draft pick.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I thought Forslund's post game comments this morning on 650 were interesting.  He said Wallin is most likely getting a contract extension to waive his NTC for the trade.  I guess I wasn't expecting it but good for him if it happens.  Forslund said to expect it to be finalized and announced today.

It is interesting about these NTC's. It would seem that the player does get a lot of leverage with these, but it also seems that players really do want to have some say about their movement as much or more than the money. A couple of years ago, Wallin had a couple of years left on his contract and was not playing all that well, his position was "keep me, or I'll just go home". Now, with Wallin playing better and his contract about to expire, things are looking a bit different. A new contract is looking pretty tasty.

As for who we get back in that trade, I would think it would have to be a pick/prospect. Just can't see JR taking on salary in this move.

IDK. Sharks fans say they can't fit Wallin under the Cap unless a roster player is moved. 

They got a couple guys on IR, but once they come off, they'll be over the cap. 

This whole notion of Brind"Amour coming back next year is just someone's pipe dream.  The Mike Modano comparison is out there too.  As far as the NTC's, it most certainly gives an aging player leverage.  If Nic is moved to a Cup contender, good for him.  If he can squeeze out another contract, even better for him.  I can't imagine we would get anything in return but a prospect or a draft pick.
The problem JR did was screw himself giving NTC to players over 35... that is a huge mistake, as seen now, teams don't want to give a 2-3 year contract to a player that even if hurt/retired goes on cap anyway( as we have with brindy), and stops deals as players want the extra time.. We would ahve been better giving the players more dollars, instead of NTC's, that gave to get a lower contract at time.. penny wise dollar foolish

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

remkin wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I thought Forslund's post game comments this morning on 650 were interesting.  He said Wallin is most likely getting a contract extension to waive his NTC for the trade.  I guess I wasn't expecting it but good for him if it happens.  Forslund said to expect it to be finalized and announced today.

IDK. Sharks fans say they can't fit Wallin under the Cap unless a roster player is moved. 

I doubt San Jose is done with just this move.  Remember, to get over the hump and get to the SCF's they're going up against teams like Chicago.  Sharks will be involved with more moves soon enough, acquiring Wallin was to add some depth to their injured defense and a veteran with plenty of playoff experience and success.

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

remkin wrote:

I doubt San Jose is done with just this move.  Remember, to get over the hump and get to the SCF's they're going up against teams like Chicago.  Sharks will be involved with more moves soon enough, acquiring Wallin was to add some depth to their injured defense and add a veteran with plenty of playoff success.  Sharks have plenty of playoff experience but no real success.

with Wallin going to the sharks, how about devin setoguchi in return?

Sure, I guess we'd take that laugh.gif

[quote name='sharksAWESOME wrote:

gocaniacsGOCANES']

with Wallin going to the sharks, how about devin setoguchi in return?

hahahah...wishful thinking! you guys can have huskin or joslin.. don't really like them.Yeah, I can see JR taking joslin.. Not huskin tho..too old I think. But joslin makes a little sense.. Not only is he younger, but if we get rid of Corvo, we really have lost our hard shots from the blueline with no Corvo or Babchuk, and Joslin won the hardest shot competition at the 2009 AHL Skills Competition. His skating stride is iffy tho..

Vague update on the Wallin trade situation:

2 Tweets from Chip: 

Rutherford said decision on Wallin to be made in next 24 hours. Wallin is with team in Buffalo.

Jim Rutherford said a deal is pending that will send Nic Wallin to another team. Rutherford not saying which team