The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

24 hours on a deal reported to be done. Nic and his agent must be tough negotiators.

Ek says, Penguins are shying away from Whitney.  I know, I know, its Ek but what else do we have to do.

I'm glad theres a game tomorrow and Sat night.  This waiting sucks.

Thats the truth.  If Nic is still around at game time tomorrow it will be interesting to see if he sits.

Well word all over the place is that the Kovalchuk deal is going down tonight to an Eastern Conference Team.  Perhaps that was holding up other deals.  I suspect once we get that drama queen out of the way others will follow.

Well it's something to read while we wait:

From Canes Now

Rutherford: Wallin Trade in the Works

BUFFALO
 -- Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said Thursday that a tradeinvolving veteran defenseman Niclas Wallin was in the works and shouldbe resolved before Friday's game against the Buffalo Sabres.

"We have a pending trade for him," Rutherford said. "He has ano-trade (clause in his contract). He has to waive that, and I think atthis point in time his agent is working through some things with theother team.

"I would expect we will know something here in the next 24 hours."

Wallin was a healthy scratch Wednesday in the Canes' 4-1 loss to theCalgary Flames amid some media reports -- all based on unnamed sources-- that Wallin would be traded to the San Jose Sharks. Rutherford wouldnot confirm those reports.

Either way, Wallin likely has played his last game for theHurricanes, which he helped lead to the Stanley Cup in 2006, as well asthe 2002 Stanley Cup finals  and last year's Eastern Conference finals.

"It's tough to let any player go," Rutherford said. "You getattached to these guys, especially the guys who were with us when wewon the Cup.  You have a special attachment to them.

"And in Nic's case we drafted him. He's been here his whole career.He's such a great guy. But at the same time, with the direction we'regoing to go with our team, he may or may not have been part of that.

"We have a chance now to get a good young asset. And that's what we're going to do." 

In other news, the Canes on Thursday reassigned forward Jiri Tlustyto the Albany River Rats of the AHL. Rutherford said early Thursdayevening that no decision had been made on a callup.

The Canes had hoped Erik Cole would ready to return to the lineupfor Friday's game against the Buffalo Sabres. But Cole will not play.  

"We want to keep him playing through the Olympic break," Rutherfordsaid of Tlusty. "We're real pleased with how he played. He playsagainst top players on the other team on the (Brandon) Sutter line andhe's done a good job.

"We'd like to see him get his scoring touch a little bit more.  But the main reason is to keep him playing."

Canes coach Paul Maurice said defenseman Andrew Alberts should beable to play against the Sabres. Alberts suffered an upper-body injuryin the first period against the Flames and did not return to the game.

Rutherford said forward Tuomo Ruutu might be able to return to the lineup for Saturday's road game against the Islanders.

Well word all over the place is that the Kovalchuk deal is going down tonight to an Eastern Conference Team.  Perhaps that was holding up other deals.  I suspect once we get that drama queen out of the way others will follow.

That would be my guess too.   Once the Kovalchuk situation is concluded I would think teams will begin attempting to get Whitney

in earnest.  But only a guess.  I'd be happy for Whitney to stay but that isn't happening.

That would be my guess too.   Once the Kovalchuk situation is concluded I would think teams will begin attempting to get Whitney

in earnest.  But only a guess.  I'd be happy for Whitney to stay but that isn't happening.

Kovalchuk resolution is the best thing that can happen for Canes.  Ray's value goes up as the remaining prize.

Kovi to the Devils, good.  Get it done so we can get our players gone.

Open those flood gates.

Where did you see this? I know they were in the hunt but haven't seen it announced yet. I agree with you though, ready for his situation to be done with so we can do our business. Its been like pulling teeth these past two days.

Kovie to NJ eh? I smell the sickly sweet smell of the Boston Bruins panicking.

Can you say Toronto first round pick anyone?

Ain't happening.  They would be fools to to it and Chiarelli has said it's not on the table  He would be tarred and feathered by the fans. 

Their own pick is a possibility and they way they have dropped, that could turn out to be a pretty decent one.

[quote name='Ichigo-1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Kovi to the Devils, good.  Get it done so we can get our players gone.

Open those flood gates.

Where did you see this? I know they were in the hunt but haven't seen it announced yet. I agree with you though, ready for his situation to be done with so we can do our business. Its been like pulling teeth these past two days.

Ya gotta get in the Twitter world!  Kevin Allen announced it just after 7:30 and it's on TSN now.

The drama queen has found a new home

I have a right to dream laugh.gif

But seriously, Chiarelli needs scoring. Kovalchuk is now not an option.

The B's, if they want a deep playoff run, are going to have to go through the devils, now with the scoring of Kovy

And ive read several times that Charelli knows what his position is to the Boston fans. He will get a lot of flak if he doesnt embark on a playoff run.

I agree that it is very unlikely. But now, the Canes have the #1 scoring forward on the market. Boston needs scoring. And remember, Sutter of the Flames said many a time that Phaneuf would not be traded. I do not take what a GM says at face value.

But yes. It is very doubtful that this will ever occur

The B's, if they want a deep playoff run, are going to have to go through the devils, now with the scoring of Kovy

And ive read several times that Charelli knows what his position is to the Boston fans. He will get a lot of flak if he doesnt embark on a playoff run.

I agree that it is very unlikely. But now, the Canes have the #1 scoring forward on the market. Boston needs scoring. And remember, Sutter of the Flames said many a time that Phaneuf would not be traded. I do not take what a GM says at face value.

A while back and I forget who it was that reported it but they said there was a team willing to part with a number one pick and a prospect for Whitney.  If that team is/was Boston  I doubt they would give up  the Toronto pick but they might give up their own #1.

Word is the Thrash are getting Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick.  Good grief and people are saying Whitney is not worth a 1st rounder and a prospect?  He is worth every bit of that if that is what "I only have 4 games of playoff losses experience to bring" Kovi.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

Ichigo-1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Kovi to the Devils, good.  Get it done so we can get our players gone.

Open those flood gates.

Ya gotta get in the Twitter world!  Kevin Allen announced it just after 7:30 and it's on TSN now.

The drama queen has found a new home

Cool thanks for the linkage. I can't stand anything that involves twitter, simply because of its ridiculous name, so I will suffer the consequences of being a bit late to the party now and then laugh.gif

Word is the Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick for are headed to the Thrashers for Kovalchuk..  Good grief and people are saying Whitney is not worth a 1st rounder and a prospect?  He is worth every bit of that if that is what "I only have 4 games of playoff losses experience to bring" Kovi.

Word is the Devils are getting Bergfors, Oduya, a 1st round pick, and Mattias Tedenby.  Good grief and people are saying Whitney is not worth a 1st rounder and a prospect?  He is worth every bit of that if that is what "I only have 4 games of playoff losses experience to bring" Kovi.

Wow that's an unimpressive package for a stud like Kovy. Waddell really bit didn't he? Good for Louie to not have to give up anything too great for a guy who might not stay after this season. 

Waddell continues to baffle. 

Also note, ranger fans are probably none-to-pleased about this potential confrontation in their division, to their rival to boot.

[quote name='fallen_apostle wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Word is the Devils are getting
Bergfors, Oduya, a 1st round pick, and Mattias Tedenby.  Good grief and people are saying Whitney is not worth a 1st rounder and a prospect?  He is worth every bit of that if that is what "I only have 4 games of playoff losses experience to bring" Kovi.

Wow that's an unimpressive package for a stud like Kovy. Waddell really bit didn't he? Good for Louie to not have to give up anything too great for a guy who might not stay after this season. 

Waddell continues to baffle. 

Actually I edited my original post, it's now Oduya, Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a 1st-round pick confirmed by K Allen again.  But still.....

Its not likely Boston would give us TO #1 pick for Whitney, but Gretzky was traded, anything is possible. With Whitney being the hottest commodity now, and all these Eastern teams bunched up together, well I feel for JR, he's going to have the phone glued to his ear. Its going to be an ugly bidding war. Good news for us is we should be getting a nice return back.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

ebhughes']I have a right to dream
laugh.gif

A while back and I forget who it was that reported it but they said there was a team willing to part with a number one pick and a prospect for Whitney.  If that team is/was Boston  I doubt they would give up  the Toronto pick but they might give up their own #1.

It was Darren Dreger of TSN that said he definitely knew of one team that was prepared to give up a first rounder and a prospect for Whitney.  That was right before McKenzie reported the details of the Kings talks and that was not supposed to include a first rounder.  Not sure if there is still another team.