The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Interesting nothing long-term was done with Kovy and the Devils.  Smells of rental to me.  But, the Devils are now considerably more potent.  Anyway, JR can now play cards.  But, he has to trump the Joker, uh .....NTC.

Interesting nothing long-term was done with Kovy and the Devils.  Smells of rental to me.  But, the Devils are now considerably more potent.  Anyway, JR can now play cards.  But, he has to trump the Joker, uh .....NTC.

NHL.com thinks its a rental too, there's a story about it there...don't have the linky, but its on the front page.

On the Wallin trade delay, apparently still in negotiation on extension.  Sharks want MORE than Wallin initially wanted to give:

From Canes Country:  Nick Wallin update

Chuck Kaiton was on 99.9 The Fan late today and told Mike Maniscalco that the trade sending
to San Jose was close to being completed, but was still not finalized. The problem?  Wallin's agent was negotiating a contract extension with
GM, Doug Wilson. 

According to Kaiton, he believed that the Sharks wanted to sign thebig defenseman for a longer term than Wallin originally wanted. Apparently, the Swede did not want to sign a deal for longer than oneyear, but Wilson wants two.  Plus, there is still a small matter ofdollars and cents to be agreed upon as well.

The Hall of Fame voice of the
said that the return would be a good one for the Carolina organization,reportedly a second round draft pick.  But to give up that much, Wilsonwanted to make sure he could lock up "The Swede" for longer than a year.

Wallin still calls the shots here though as he could nix the tradeby utilizing his "No Trade Clause"if he doesn't like the terms, butthis deal looks to be about done except for the details.  Although youknow what they say about details.

The Thrash would not allow any team to talk to Kovi's agent; therefore there was no way a contract extension could be part of the deal.  I do not see Lamoriello signing Kovi unless he wants to take a huge cut in his current salary request.  Devils always said no player would make more than Marty.

If that is true, a 2nd round pick, I think we can agree that would be more then what we expected. More then I was thinking at least.

If that is true, a 2nd round pick, I think we can agree that would be more then what we expected. More then I was thinking at least.
+1

I mean I love the guy, but that is a little shocking.  Of course, you can't really put a price on his "magic stick" making properties... just ask Tim Gleason.

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

Ichigo-1']If that is true, a 2nd round pick, I think we can agree that would be more then what we expected. More then I was thinking at least.

+1

I mean I love the guy, but that is a little shocking.  Of course, you can't really put a price on his "magic stick" making properties... just ask Tim Gleason.

lol.. I had forgotten about that.. Good one..lol. But yeah, 2nd round pick for Wallin.. Take it. He will be missed.

SJ would need to clear about 400k in order to be salary cap compliant if they add Wallin. So I'd expect them to send us someone like Derek Joslin (cap hit of 500k). Also this would be in line with the "young asset" JR talked about.

If they're interested enough to sign him to an extension, I'd think the price would go up a bit from what might have been expected. Nic's also quietly had a decent year here, and he's only 34 (35 in a couple weeks).

[quote name='Crusty-Old-Guy wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Justin Peters recalled from Albany ; Legacy on way out???

Something to speculate about until something actually happens.

Ward has an UBI.  Legace is safe.

Safe?  Usually that means something good, for me in this case while we are on the trade watch, it's a disappointment.  Do you have a link?

Edit:  nevermind, just saw it on the front page.   Darn I was hoping for some excitement today.

I was just on the San Jose boards.. They believe the "young asset" [in return for Wallin] JR was talking about could be 1 of 3 people -> Joslin, McGinn or Mitchell..any of which I would take..

Eklund's guess de jour

On Wallin...

We all expected Wallin to be a Shark by now, but I am told a team that was in on Kovalchuk told Carolina to wait. Could that team be Philly? I expect we find out today.

On Whitney...

I am hearing Calgary today, but I do caution I have also heard Whitney may not waive his No Trade to go to Canada. The Sharks have interest in Whitney I am told as well...which also may be playing into the Wallin situation.

Eklund's guess de jour

On Wallin...

We all expected Wallin to be a Shark by now, but I am told a team that was in on Kovalchuk told Carolina to wait. Could that team be Philly? I expect we find out today.

On Whitney...

I am hearing Calgary today, but I do caution I have also heard Whitney may not waive his No Trade to go to Canada. The Sharks have interest in Whitney I am told as well...which also may be playing into the Wallin situation.

Eklund is officially on crack.  We try so hard to keep our kids off drugs. shakeshead.gif

Wallin is NOT being moved to San Jose, via John Forslund on The Fan. Apparently Wallin's agent pushed San Jose too hard with the money involved in the contract extension. Anyway, the deal is dead.. oh well..

I am glad that JR's loyalty to his players has been recipricated.  I doubt he will ever give out any NTC again.  He gets screwed everytime he makes a deal.  It is obvious to everyone that this team needs to get younger and go in a different direction, but the players never cooperate with JR to help him work things out.  He must feel like his hands are tied at this point.  He should just sent every veteran with a NTC down to the minor leagues for the rest of the season.  Let them sit things out on the sidelines to let them know they messed up the future of the team.

I am glad that JR's loyalty to his players has been recipricated.  I doubt he will ever give out any NTC again.  He gets screwed everytime he makes a deal.  It is obvious to everyone that this team needs to get younger and go in a different direction, but the players never cooperate with JR to help him work things out.  He must feel like his hands are tied at this point.  He should just sent every veteran with a NTC down to the minor leagues for the rest of the season.  Let them sit things out on the sidelines to let them know they messed up the future of the team.

Iceman, we appreciate everything you've done for the organization.  Here's a plane ticket.  Monday morning you are to report to work in Buffalo.  Have a nice day.

Would you be happy with that?  If you could have some say in the matter, wouldn't you want to?

We aren't the only team in the league that has this issue (http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm#list).  After the Stanley Cup run, J.R. made a few decisions with his heart and not his head.  I would imagine that he might do things differently now. 

The players have every right to say "no" to waiving their No Trade Clauses.  That is why they asked for them in the first pace - they do not want to play for another team or move or be away from their families or whatever personal reason they have for asking for it.   During the negotiation process it was agreed to include the clause in the contract by the organization and they knew the potential consequences at the time.  I promise it was not just handed to them either.  There was some concession madeby the player in order to get it included and usually it means theyaccepted less money.  NTC are mostly an issue when teams are having a crappy season and need to become sellers.  I'm sure no one was thinking things would actually be THIS bad when most of these contracts were signed - after we won the Stanley Cup.  If our season wasn't so bad, this wouldn't even be an issue. 

I agree that the players have the right to use the NTC.  However, my issue is that the Canes are going no where this year and the the majority of the players with the NTC are unrestricted free agents in two months.  It is not like the players have 5 more years remaining on their contracts.  It was not like JR was offering to send the players to a team in the basement right next to the Canes this year.  San Jose is one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league.  It is not like the Canes are competing for the Cup this year and are shipping out players for no reason.  The Canes need all the young talent and draft picks they can get to help rebuild.  Instead, they will end up gaining nothing in return when the players leave come July 1.  I am a Canes fan, and only want what is best for the team.  JR's trades getting blocked are not going to help this team rebuild any quicker.  Carolina is not a team that can or will sign any marquee free agents.  The team needs to be built through trades and draft picks. 

If I was about to become an unrestricted free agent....I'd want to showcase myself in the best possible way. And that DOES NOT include going down on a sinking ship where my mistakes are magnified. I'd want to make a playoff push. Wallin has always performed MUCH better in the playoffs than he has in the regular season. So, is he planning on retiring this summer? It sure sounds like it. Also sounds like he's content with the money he has. He could make a decent salary for one more year, maybe two if he wanted it. Sounds like he doesn't have any desire.....but that's just my opinion. And this holds true for any soon to be UFA he would rather sink with this club than swim into the playoffs. As a prospective hiring GM...that would be a major red flag for me.

This deal did not fall apart because Wallin wouldn't waive his NTC.  There could be a whole lot more going on behind close doors then just whats being released by the media.

^shrugs^ it's not like Wallin's Scott Stevens, what would we have really got that was gonna turn us around? Not much and I personally want him to retire a Cane more then I want to move em.